• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 |OT| Don't watch the trailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use spoiler tags until July 18th please!

ibePrcUGVLG58g.png

izaQKZ9AQpvlk.gif

isjq88W0FcmpJ.png

This is the trailer that you SHOULD watch!

First 5 Minutes of the film.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD DO NOT WATCH THESE TRAILERS!
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 - Official Trailer
'How to Train Your Dragon 2' Trailer 2
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 - "DRAGON SANCTUARY (EXTENDED)" CLIP
i2MgvD1WQp8GL.png

(More info coming when I have time to put it all together.)

Some reviews from earlier in the week. Compiled by Scullibundo:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/how-train-your-dragon-2-704887
Technically stunning, and touchingly perceptive about the relationship between people and animals, this is an impressive achievement but may be all a bit too much for younger viewers.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...-2-soars-above-most-hollywood-franchise-films
How To Train Your Dragon 2 soars above most Hollywood franchise films.

I don't care if you're working in live-action or animation… if you are going to make franchise movies, please do me the favor of watching this and really paying attention to how well they pull it off, and how invisible the mechanics are. It simply feels like a well-told story with characters worth our time and attention, set in a world that is rich with possibility. Enough training dragons… this team should be in charge of training Hollywood.

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/how-to-train-your-dragon-2/5071935.article
Dragons sweeping through the air combined with the raucous antics of cheerful Vikings makes for perfect 3-D animated fun, and while the film offers up elements of Brave, Frozen, Harry Potter and even Avatar it also manages to suffuse its action-packed and often thoughtful story with a real sense of heart to balance its need for family-friendly comedy. Released by Fox, the film should be poised to be one of the hits of the summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...our-Dragon-2-review-armrest-gripping-fun.html
The action sequences here are armrest-gripping fun, and you only wish DeBlois and his animators had been even more confident; held their shots even longer; allowed us to enjoy the whistle of the wind and the curve of the dragons’ flight paths without hurriedly cutting away to another angle, and another, and another. When the film flies, it soars.

Should please its young target audience very much. It's just a shame that the overarching plot, which struggles to link a handful of very nicely staged and surprisingly tender key dramatic moments, feels less fluid.

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/cannes-film-review-how-to-train-your-dragon-2-1201181707/
If you think training Vikings to coexist with dragons sounds tough, try following up an iconic coming-of-age story within the halls of a publicly traded animation studio. The pressures to make a giant four-quadrant monstrosity must be enormous, and yet, like his unflappable hero Hiccup, “How to Train Your Dragon 2” writer-director Dean DeBlois has prevailed, serving up DreamWorks Animation’s strongest sequel yet — one that breathes fresh fire into the franchise, instead of merely rehashing the original. Braver than “Brave,” more fun than “Frozen” and more emotionally satisfying than so many of its live-action counterparts, “Dragon” delivers

Hyped to see this. The first one definitely made me change my opinion of Dreamworks being a "2nd rate Pixar" to a good studios in its own right.

Very much looking forward to this. I watched one of the trailers you warned against before, and yeah, there's a lot of story given away in it. I stopped watching the trailers after that.

I notice Hiccup is left-handed. As a leftie, I always like seeing that acknowledged in movies, trivial as it is. :p

Oersted

Has a gay character. Nice.

Hyped to see this. The first one definitely made me change my opinion of Dreamworks being a "2nd rate Pixar" to a good studios in its own right.

Antz, The Prince of Egypt, Sindbad, Chicken Run, Shrek, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron... they made some good movies.

Didn't realize this was coming out so soon. Will watch

I HIGHLY recommend both art books. They are incredible.

However, once again, the new one is already out and is FULL of spoilers. Buy it, then hide it away until after you have seen the film.

ugh the cover of that artbook already has a spoiler?
his fucking foot is missing?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
As soon as I heard they screened this at Cannes, I knew they had to have been very confident about the movie, and the buzz so far backs it up. The first is a classic, the TV show is great, and I can't wait to see this. IMAX 3D (on a real IMAX screen) for me and my family!

Have not seen 1 single frame of animation on this film yet, but soooo hyped LOVEEEE the first one.

To bad it comes a MONTH later where I live guess i have to suck it up and just avoid everything just a little longer.

CassSept

Wow so soon, I had no idea. First HTTYD was surprisingly great, will watch since reviews are promising.

Antz, The Prince of Egypt, Sindbad, Chicken Run, Shrek, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron... they made some good movies.

The highest wave of criticism against Dreamworks happened in the second half of the last decade and the movies you listed precede that period. Stuff like Shrek 3, Madagascar 2, Over the Hedge, Bee Movie... the critcism were valid I'd say. They did come around after HTTYD though and for the last few years their track record is superior to Pixar's output.

I don't know why people like Antz though, I thought it was very meh

Binabik15

It seems to come out at the end of July in Germany.

Fun (?) story, I saw some trailer footage on an advertisement screen in a cinema, didn't know wtf it was or what the posters were for. Stupid German title.

Violet_0

Banned
I've watched that stupid spoiler trailer a while ago
o_o

can't believe it's at 100% on RT currently, I thought it'd be a lot worse

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
o_o

How was Cannes?

Ikael

In one hand, the plot summaries and trailers makes it sounds like a horrible, DLC expansion-pack type of sequel with no emotional punch, character development or whatsoever.

In the other hand, the original How to train your dragon is easily one of the best animation movies ever created. So I am hyped anyways :D

qindarka

Banned
o_o

Well, there are only 6 reviews thus far. I do expect it to finish at the worst in the mid 80s though.

In one hand, the plot summaries and trailers makes it sounds like a horrible, DLC expansion-pack type of sequel with no emotional punch, character development or whatsoever.

In the other hand, the original How to train your dragon is easily one of the best animation movies ever created. So I am hyped anyways :D

Don't worry too much about the trailers, they're often not representative of the tone of the film.

Wow so soon, I had no idea. First HTTYD was surprisingly great, will watch since reviews are promising.

The highest wave of criticism against Dreamworks happened in the second half of the last decade and the movies you listed precede that period. Stuff like Shrek 3, Madagascar 2, Over the Hedge, Bee Movie... the critcism were valid I'd say. They did come around after HTTYD though and for the last few years their track record is superior to Pixar's output.

I don't know why people like Antz though, I thought it was very meh

Madagascar 2 and Over Th Hedge were pretty good films imo.

As soon as I heard they screened this at Cannes, I knew they had to have been very confident about the movie, and the buzz so far backs it up. The first is a classic, the TV show is great, and I can't wait to see this. IMAX 3D (on a real IMAX screen) for me and my family!

I was so hopeful for the TV show right after Ruffnut cut her hair. I was thinking, "Maybe she'll have short hair moving forward? They do show the characters aging in the movie." But then the next episode it was all back. Ah well. At least they age in the movie.

My son's birthday is in June and we've already reserved a theater party for him. He's going to be psyched.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I was so hopeful for the TV show right after Ruffnut cut her hair. I was thinking, "Maybe she'll have short hair moving forward? They do show the characters aging in the movie." But then the next episode it was all back. Ah well. At least they age in the movie.

I know, right? Ah well, hair grows back. They never really say how much time passes between episodes, other than the two parters.

I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with the third season.

I am dying to know what could possibly be spoiled in these trailers.

Pretty sure I watched that official trailer a few weeks ago but can't really remember it...

Wait a minute, June 13?

Why is the |OT| so early? They are supposed to go up 1 week before release.

Mainly because the trailers are so spoilerific. I was going to wait, but I was going to make a thread warning not to watch the trailers anyways.

If mods want to lock it until then.... then more power to them.

(Also. The rules never make a hard rule as to OT's in off topic as far as I can see. The 1 week rule is only explicitly stated in direct reference to gaming threads.)

Going in blind. First one blew me away from nowhere

Same. It was completely under the radar for me until I saw the RT score of 98%.

Mainly because the trailers are so spoilerific. I was going to wait, but I was going to make a thread warning not to watch the trailers anyways.

If mods want to lock it until then.... then more power to them.

Might only apply to gaming side. Thanks for the heads-up on the spoilers...just hope I'm not force-fed whenever I see Godzilla :|

Looking forward to Dat Powell score.

I actively raged that it did not win the Achademy Award.

The Social Network? Seriously?

No one walked away from that film saying "wow the music was great". While I heard that constantly in relation to HTTYD.

TylerD

I apply the fingers in ears, closed eyes, and humming to myself technique. Some may think I am crazy but I will not be spoiled!

Really excited for this. The flight scenes in the first movie were spectacular and it is one of my favorite animated movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom