• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller

Nabs

Sounds pretty cool. Before this, were you using wired connection?

Yup. I have BT internally, and the range was terrible with my DS4. I had to hold the controller in a very particular spot to keep it under 10ms. A very annoying way to play through Dark Souls 2 while waiting for my USB cord to arrive.

Sajjaja

I've been having an issue as of late and I have no clue what its causing it. When I try to pair my controller, it pairs but it doesn't get recognized as a 360 controller. The devices window just says Wireless Controller and I can't use it.

This doesn't happen all the time but it's been more occurring more frequently and it is getting quite annoying. I've even tried plugging it in and it doesn't get recognized as a 360 controller. Using DS4Windows that Nabs linked.

Help?

Nabs

Try by closing down anything that could be conflicting with the program, like Steam or whatever. See if that helps at all.

Nabs

I would like to know this as well.

The Kinivo BTD-400 has been amazing for me. Super reliable, and good range. If you're on Windows 8.1 it's just plug and play, but if you're on 7 I think you'll want to use the drivers it comes with.

SOLDIER

Perhaps I should post my problem in this thread too.

So I ordered the 4.0 bluetooth dongle and it came in today.

At first I thought things would improve, but I'm still getting sporadic latency spikes while playing Witcher III. It seems to be completely random, even during cutscenes.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the latency? When it works it works perfectly, but these sudden spikes are getting in the way of my gameplay (a brawl inside a tavern led to some wild loss of camera control).

I'm using DS4Windows by the way. Do the other programs offer less latency issues?

Jarate

Banned
Have they figured out how to get audio to come through the headphone jack on the ps4 controller. Really would be a nice feature toove away from my 360 pad once and for all

Perhaps I should post my problem in this thread too.

So I ordered the 4.0 bluetooth dongle and it came in today.

At first I thought things would improve, but I'm still getting sporadic latency spikes while playing Witcher III. It seems to be completely random, even during cutscenes.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the latency? When it works it works perfectly, but these sudden spikes are getting in the way of my gameplay (a brawl inside a tavern led to some wild loss of camera control).

I'm using DS4Windows by the way. Do the other programs offer less latency issues?

I started noticing spikes in latency a month or two ago when DS4Windows was updated to include a feature where the lightbar would flash when your latency went above 10ms. Only after this was introduced did I start having frequent lag spikes and I was certain that it was related to that setting. Thankfully DS4W was updated again with an option to turn off the flashing:

dVzedAE.jpg

After toggling that off I haven't had any lag spikes since.

If that doesn't help you could try having a more direct line of sight between your controller and your bluetooth dongle by using a USB extension cable.

ZOONAMI

Um no. I don't mind the 360 controller but the ds4 completely outclasses it.

Nah, battery life is better, wireless is better, plug and play and it works, and the sticks are better. It just seems like all the troubleshooting evidenced in the thread makes it seem like not the best option. I did say imo.

Nabs

Nah, battery life is better, wireless is better, plug and play and it works, and the sticks are better. It just seems like all the troubleshooting evidenced in the thread makes it seem like not the best option. I did say imo.

There actually hasn't been a lot of troubleshooting in the last year. A lot of the conversation is about getting people off DS4Tool and onto something more modern. The DS4 is still plug and play (dinput), but it requires one or two extra clicks to mimic a 360 pad. Then from there, you're able to do things the 360 pad could only wish to do.

Keep in mind, the stuff from page 1-15 is old and outdated. We're off that.

ZOONAMI

There actually hasn't been a lot of troubleshooting in the last year. A lot of the conversation is about getting people off DS4Tool and onto something more modern. The DS4 is still plug and play (dinput), but it requires one or two extra clicks to mimic a 360 pad. Then from there, you're able to do things the 360 pad could only wish to do.

Keep in mind, the stuff from page 1-15 is old and outdated. We're off that.

From the last couple pages seems like people are having problems with boh ds4windows and ds4tool. I'll give ds4windows a go and see if I can sell my 360 controller.

reKon

Banned
I don't think this work well for me because the bluetooth signal the logitech unifying bluetooth adapter for my logitech KB400 keyboard is causing interference with the blue tooth adapter from my motherboard. I also have a dual band AC wireless router with both bands activated, which may be causing some issues.

HF2014

Been wondering something. I use my Ps4 controller on pc and it work great, the touchpad work also as a mouse, but wondeing, if i buy a keyboard and attach it to my ps4 controller, will i be able to type with it in the windows interface? If so which keyboard you recommand?

Unfortunately the latest builds of Windows 10 break the "hide DS4 controller" option in InputMapper and DS4 Windows. Essentially it no longer allows exclusive access to the controller hardware so any games that support both Dinput and Xinput get duplicat button presses, frequently with conflicting button mapping.

Over-Run

Anybody run into issues with this on Witcher 3?
My game just wont detect the gamepad? Other games seem okay but Witcher 3 just wont detect it.

Knurek

Unfortunately the latest builds of Windows 10 break the "hide DS4 controller" option in InputMapper and DS4 Windows. Essentially it no longer allows exclusive access to the controller hardware so any games that support both Dinput and Xinput get duplicat button presses, frequently with conflicting button mapping.

What the hell?!
Is MS just trying to get people to use their (overpriced) xbone controller adapter? Or is this a legit bug?

stryke

Did you ever change settings in DS4Windows before? Or did you use the standard settings when its first downloaded? I'm also on Windows 10 so I don't know if thats an issue

Well someone earlier said DS4windows doesn't work well in W10 so it's probably that but if other games work for you then I wouldn't have a clue.

I don't particularly do anything out of the ordinary. I just make sure Hide DS4 is checked and occasionally some custom button mapping if need be.

Over-Run

Hmm I see.
Yeah its weird it works for some games but not Witcher 3.
Ugh really hope theres a fix soon I bought a DS4 to play this ha

Ferr986

Sorry for the bump but I'm having a problem with the DS4 via BT.

The other day I paired it fine and it worked. But right now I can't make it to work again. The pad still shows listed but the DS4 won't detect the BT. Also trying to pairing it again won't work.

Anyone know what could it be?

Vash63

Step 1: Acquire a USB to micro USB cable.
Step 2: Plug the big end into the PC
Step 3: Plug the little end into the DS4
Step 4: Start controller-compatible game on Steam.

Tested on Arch Linux. Not sure what all this 3rd party app stuff is all about. Alternatively you can do a bluetooth sync if you want wireless, process is similar enough that I won't repeat the instructions, but you have to hold Share and PS buttons for a few seconds to open pairing mode first.

stryke

Sorry for the bump but I'm having a problem with the DS4 via BT.

The other day I paired it fine and it worked. But right now I can't make it to work again. The pad still shows listed but the DS4 won't detect the BT. Also trying to pairing it again won't work.

Anyone know what could it be?

I don't know what the cause could be but try deleting the controller from your devices and try doing a fresh pairing.

Tomodachi

I use my DS4 with a USB cable because my BT dongle has a terrible range, but other than that I prefer going wired because I use my pad with both my PS4 and my PC, and using the pad with a cable on the PC doesn't overwrite the linking between my PS4 and the DS4. Probably everyone and their gran knew this but what the hell.

I wanted to ask, anyone else use the touchpad as a mouse trackpad? When you get used to it it's pretty good, I only have one problem. The trackpad stops working when some applications are active (everything is fine when they're minimized though), like afterburner and rtss. Any way I can prevent that from happening, except try not to click them with the touchpad? Thanks.

I honestly prefer Input Mapper. I love the app. It's made tons of progress. I don't mind donating to the only thing I use for my controllers. Works perfectly for me and is updated regularly. And it isn't like you have to donate 2 dollars anyway.

wilflare

How far are you sitting from the dongle?

Is there a clear path from the dongle to the controller?

Have you always had this issue or did it suddenly come up?

I can't remember when it started happening.

the dongle is plugged into the back of my PC...
so the distance between the dongle and my DS4 is at best 1 metre or so

no clear path... but BT shouldn't require that right?

stryke

I can't remember when it started happening.

the dongle is plugged into the back of my PC...
so the distance between the dongle and my DS4 is at best 1 metre or so

no clear path... but BT shouldn't require that right?

Mine requires a clear path. Have to keep the dongle in one of the front usb ports.

Josman

Question, I'm using DS4windows on Windows8.1 and I'm trying to map mouse actions to the touchpad but they just won't work, left click, right click or whatever it just doesn't do a thing, any clues on why?

Edit: touchpad movement still works, clicks don't

AerialAir

Banned
It just works so darn easily. Paired it with my Macbook through Bluetooth, no problems at all. Started using it on OpenEmu, the program automatically recognizes and mapps the controller for me. Now I just press the PS button everytime I want to use it and it connects right away.

SOLDIER

Has anyone managed to get the DS4 working on Windows 10? I recall that was an issue but that steps were taken to get it working.

Is DS4Windows still the overall best application for running this controller?

GRaider81

Has anyone managed to get the DS4 working on Windows 10? I recall that was an issue but that steps were taken to get it working.

Is DS4Windows still the overall best application for running this controller?

Its working fine for me though I've only tried it on, ARK, Mafia 2 and Metro 2033

SOLDIER

Windows 10 is now finishing its preparations for download.

Just wanted to check one more time on what's the currently proven methods to keep the DS4 working wirelessly.

SOLDIER

I bought a blue DS4 controller to use exclusively for my PC, but as soon as I paired it, it won't stop flashing red (latency warning). I've tried unpairing and re-pairing it, but it won't cut down the latency.

I was using my white PS4 controller all day prior and hadn't had any latency issues. Any ideas what it could be?

I bought a blue DS4 controller to use exclusively for my PC, but as soon as I paired it, it won't stop flashing red (latency warning). I've tried unpairing and re-pairing it, but it won't cut down the latency.

I was using my white PS4 controller all day prior and hadn't had any latency issues. Any ideas what it could be?

Are you using input mapper?

DS4 Windows. I didn't notice a difference between the two last I checked, plus Input Mapper doesn't have a latency indicator with the lights like DS4 Windows.

Edit: Input mapper says it also has latency issues.

If you stand really close to your PC, does the latency issue go away? I owned a Kinivo dongle which worked fine for a year before it started to crap out on me. I replaced it and things went back to normal. Otherwise, test another controller.

Top Bottom