• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller

SOLDIER

Tested the white controller again, and that one has latency warnings too. It will sometimes stop flashing red, but then flash red after a few more seconds.

It's weird, I was using the controller earlier and didn't have any latency issues. I'm not sure what could have changed.

If it is the dongle, what's a really good one you can recommend?

Tested the white controller again, and that one has latency warnings too. It will sometimes stop flashing red, but then flash red after a few more seconds.

It's weird, I was using the controller earlier and didn't have any latency issues. I'm not sure what could have changed.

If it is the dongle, what's a really good one you can recommend?

Which one do you currently have (sorry if you already stated this).

This one has been reported to be working by many (including myself), so much so that the DS4 shows up as a recommended buy on the page.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q45EF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

FWIW, I do face latency issues from my couch (really bad ones), but they go away if I sit closer. I tested this with five dongles over the past two years. This is why I asked you to try stepping close to your dongle and see if that helps. Since it didn't, and you used to have a good experience, I'm sure this dongle will get you back on track.

Does it work on Windows 10?

Well the dongle surely will, but my understanding is that the input mapper / DS4 windows apps both had issues with Windows 10, though there seemed to be a workaround of some sorts (not sure about this but some in this thread posted about it).

SOLDIER

I still don't get why it was working fine earlier in the day only to crap out later on.

When I tried it again today it seemed to be working fine but soon started flashing with latency again.

Are there perhaps any internal factors that are playing a role, like certain programs or resources? Or will these problems all go away once I invest in a better dongle?

SOLDIER

I'm using that dongle in Windows 10 with DS4Windows and latency is just fine. I walk off pretty far with no issue either.

The Windows 10/Exclusive Mode fix that we use now is pretty simple: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174405891&postcount=405

So I'm trying to get that method working, but the program keeps saying that it can't hide my controller because I have to terminate programs like Steam, UPlay, etc.

I can't figure out what I need to shut down beyond that. If the batch file is easier, how do I use that?

Nabs

I still don't get why it was working fine earlier in the day only to crap out later on.

When I tried it again today it seemed to be working fine but soon started flashing with latency again.

Are there perhaps any internal factors that are playing a role, like certain programs or resources? Or will these problems all go away once I invest in a better dongle?

Which dongle do you have? I thought you had the one that immortal-joe mentioned.

So I'm trying to get that method working, but the program keeps saying that it can't hide my controller because I have to terminate programs like Steam, UPlay, etc.

I can't figure out what I need to shut down beyond that. If the batch file is easier, how do I use that?

Creating a batch file is easy. Open Notepad > paste contents > Save As and change Save Type as "All Files" > name it something.bat. I think you'll want to run that as Admin.

You'll want to close as much as possible. You should only have to run the batch file once per startup. You may have to run it twice if it doesn't work the first time (I usually run it twice).

SOLDIER

Thanks, that worked. Not sure if it's meant to help with latency though.

I did try the dongle listed once, but I immediately returned it as I didn't notice any difference. Then again I was probably a bit hasty as I only tried one game (The Witcher 3, which at the time was the only game I cared about playing with). The one I currently use is a 2.0 Belkin, so this should be an improvement regardless.

Do background processes play a factor with latency? I noticed my list was rather huge, so I'm going to clean house on that soon.

Opening a tab/hitting reply, for example, sets the controller flashing red, so I think CPU or memory might play a factor here.

SOLDIER

I think my latency woes are over. I tried the 4.0 dongle and so far I haven't had any more latency flashes. Looks like this did the trick.

My only other issue now is getting the controller to work in exclusive mode. I keep getting the message that I must close applications like Steam, but no matter how many I close in Task Manager I can't seem to figure out which programs are interfering with my controller.

Nabs

I think my latency woes are over. I tried the 4.0 dongle and so far I haven't had any more latency flashes. Looks like this did the trick.

My only other issue now is getting the controller to work in exclusive mode. I keep getting the message that I must close applications like Steam, but no matter how many I close in Task Manager I can't seem to figure out which programs are interfering with my controller.

Glad to hear that the BT Dongle is working for you.

For exclusive mode, just close whatever programs or windows you have active, don't bother going through your Task Manager. Then use the "Connect DS4 Exclusively" button to connect your controller in the latest DS4Windows. You may have to use it twice to get it to work for you, but once you do, you should be set for a while.

SOLDIER

I've closed absolutely everything on my desktop tray but I still get the message that I have to close programs before running in exclusive mode.

I've tried closing background processes and even windows processes, but I can't find out what's keeping my controller from going exclusive.

Edit: It's working now.

I think the key was to keep hitting the exclusivity button on DS4Windows over and over until the controller worked.

Vex_

Banned
Bout to go pick up a blutooth dongle from my local store -- is there anything I should be looking for specification wise?

I've been using my ds4 wired forever now. Time to go wireless.

Thanks guys.

Edit: also, I am a win7 user here... If that makes any difference...

SOLDIER

My controller stopped working in exclusive mode once it disconnected after time-out, and now I can't get it to go exclusive again.

I have no idea what steps got it to work that brief moment, but this is really annoying. I keep trying to mash the button in DS4 Windows as well as use a batch file that kills explorer, but nothing is working.

I've closed absolutely everything on my desktop tray but I still get the message that I have to close programs before running in exclusive mode.

I've tried closing background processes and even windows processes, but I can't find out what's keeping my controller from going exclusive.

Edit: It's working now.

I think the key was to keep hitting the exclusivity button on DS4Windows over and over until the controller worked.

I always have to do it twice, even after closing Steam.

My method:
- Close Steam.
- Connect controller via Bluetooth, get the error message.
- Disconnect controller.
- Connect controller again, this time it works.
- Restart Steam.

SOLDIER

I always have to do it twice, even after closing Steam.

My method:
- Close Steam.
- Connect controller via Bluetooth, get the error message.
- Disconnect controller.
- Connect controller again, this time it works.
- Restart Steam.

Do you disconnect by hitting Stop on DS4 Windows or using the controller shortcut (share+start in my case)? Does that even matter?

Also at what point in your steps do you kill explorer?

Right now I'm constantly disconnecting and reconnecting my controller but it's the same message even after frequent attempts.

Nabs

Do you disconnect by hitting Stop on DS4 Windows or using the controller shortcut (share+start in my case)? Does that even matter?

Also at what point in your steps do you kill explorer?

Right now I'm constantly disconnecting and reconnecting my controller but it's the same message even after frequent attempts.

This is it:

1) Press the "Connect DS4 Exclusively" button in DS4windows
2) Turn on controller
3) Disconnect controller (Tap Options+PS)
4) Repeat Step 1 and 2

SOLDIER

This is it:

1) Press the "Connect DS4 Exclusively" button in DS4windows
2) Turn on controller
3) Disconnect controller (Tap Options+PS)
4) Repeat Step 1 and 2

Do you eventually stop getting the red highlighted message as your indicator that it worked? Or does that persist even when it's working?

SOLDIER

I still can't get this to work. Sometimes, very rarely, it works, other times it doesn't.

If it's alright with everyone, let me show a list of my background processes in the hopes someone can point out which ones should be closed (besides Steam or Xpadder):

FfGGtoC.jpg

wAEEoQv.jpg

mmmYReb.jpg

lypi5Q8.jpg

gxFrv4v.jpg

1jzl2uU.jpg

Melpontro

I still can't get this to work. Sometimes, very rarely, it works, other times it doesn't.

If it's alright with everyone, let me show a list of my background processes in the hopes someone can point out which ones should be closed (besides Steam or Xpadder):
You'll want to close the Xbox app. I had to do so to get exclusive mode to work.

oRuin

Teamspeak 3 is another app that gets in the way of things for me. I have to close that aswell as Steam.
I have also found that I have to sometimes go to Settings, Controller/Driver Setup and reinstall the DS4 driver. If I don't I get huge latency (red flashes included) a few seconds after connecting.

I thought DS4Windows became InputMapper?

I'm on Win7 and I've been using InputMapper for maybe 6 months and it always works without issue. I got a cheap BT dongle for my PC on Amazon, already had a 360 driver installed, paired the controller and it's good to go. You just open InputMapper, turn on the controller, and that's it! It even changes the LED light to reflect battery life.

If DS4Windows is separate from InputMapper, may I recommend InputMapper to those having issues.

https://inputmapper.com/

Nabs

No, it didn't. The problems he's having are related to Windows 10 and are the same across programs.

Tried it, still nothing.

You have a ton of programs running the background that most of us don't use. You're going to have to figure this one out on your own, but hopefully you can help someone out in the future.

I'm considering getting MGS on the PS4 just to avoid all of these problems with Win 10. Should never have updated until after completing it.

SOLDIER

No, it didn't. The problems he's having are related to Windows 10 and are the same across programs.

You have a ton of programs running the background that most of us don't use. You're going to have to figure this one out on your own, but hopefully you can help someone out in the future.

Is there a way to boot up Windows 10 with every single program disabled from startup? That might be easier for me, booting up one thing at a time, rather than the reverse.

I've gone so far as to kill every single background process and still get nothing. Only thing I can think of is that it's something on the Windows background side.

SOLDIER

Another dumb question: would using x360ce work as an alternative, or would you still be required to have your DS4 controller set to exclusive mode?

SOLDIER

So I switched back to Windows 7 to try and get a better handle on this exclusive mode, and I was able to get it working....at least temporarily.

On Windows 7 I fire up my desktop, turn off Steam and Xpadder, and then run DS4Windows with exclusive mode already ticked. At this point I just have to connect my controller and it works as intended. No problems.

However, once my controller disconnects (either manually or by itself), I am unable to get it working exclusively afterwards. It just won't work unless I restart my PC again.

Does Windows 7 also require explorer to be killed to get exclusive mode working? If not, how do I reconnect it after getting it to work upon startup?

Edit: Tried Inputmapper and it worked. Maybe I'll stick to this over DS4Windows.

The reason I like DS4Windows, though, is that it lets me disconnect by pushing Share+Options. Is there a way to enable this along with other hotkey configurations through Inputmapper?

However, once my controller disconnects (either manually or by itself), I am unable to get it working exclusively afterwards. It just won't work unless I restart my PC again.

Try deleting the controller from the Devices and Printers section in the Control Panel and then re-pair it via Bluetooth.

Nabs

Subscribing. Need a setup that will work with MGSV

www.ds4windows.com - if you're on Windows 10, you'll want to connect your controller via the new experimental button (under the controller tab). You'll want to do that before launching Steam, and you may have to do it twice (you'll notice the red text at the bottom if it doesn't work). Last thing, you may want to go to Settings and check "Hide DS4 Controller", just to prevent some games from having double inputs or not recognizing the 360 controller at all.

www.ds4windows.com - if you're on Windows 10, you'll want to connect your controller via the new experimental button (under the controller tab). You'll want to do that before launching Steam, and you may have to do it twice (you'll notice the red text at the bottom if it doesn't work). Last thing, you may want to go to Settings and check "Hide DS4 Controller", just to prevent some games from having double inputs or not recognizing the 360 controller at all.

Awesome! Thanks, Nabs! Yep, running Windows 10. I was looking into DS4windows prior to posting, so I'm hopeful this works out for me. As much as I wanted to try out keyboard and mouse, I'd rather have a controller.

ZalXII

Maybe a special request but i thought about using the DS4 Touchpad or left analog stick as mouse and L1/R1 as left and right mouse button in Mass Effect 2 and 3 for mining planets. Is this possible in some way? I tried it already by setting L1/R1 as the buttons and using Touchpad as mouse but that only works on desktop and stops working ingame. So, what i probably want is to use the DS4 as an emulated mouse, instead of a normal controller because ME has no Controller support at all.

I know there are mods for controller usage for ME, but i like playing them with M/KB normally, mining is the only annoying thing with a mouse and should be much easier with the pad.

B.K.

Has anyone gotten the game working wirelessly? I bought the Bluetooth adapter listed on the site as recommended, but I can't get it to work. When I try to install the driver from the disk, it says no Bluetooth device detected and when I try to run the installer I downloaded from the company's website, it gets stuck at trying to find a Bluetooth device, even if I have the controller in pairing mode.

Yesterday, my controller went haywire in the sense that it kept on disconnecting and connecting automatically. Today it has been fine but this strange problem has happened before on several occasions, even though for the most part it works perfectly.

Anyone know why this happens? I have a wired connection through DS4Windows and I always connect before opening Steam.

Using ds4windows just fine on my laptop, been successful installing and getting Bluetooth to work. So I attempted to hook up a second controller, and no such luck. Questions:

Does ds4windows support dual controller (2p) inputs? (Play two player castle crashers on steam? Vs. on Mame...StreetFighter series.) Has anyone got this to work?

If so how the hell do I get it to work, as well as have it with bluetooth? (Windows 10).

Thanks Gaf, I really want this to work. :-(

Rainy Dog

Is it possible to use the DS4 natively via. bluetooth for PC games that have native DS4 support?

Can't seem to get it to work in AC Syndicate anyway. Works perfectly via. USB. Or can use it via. bluetooth through ds4windows as an emulated 360 pad, just not natively.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I use DSWindows without issue, a lot of games are coming with native support as well which is great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I use it on a PC via USB, does it lose pairing with the PS4? Would be super convenient to just plug my PS4 controller in to my laptop for steam home streaming,but not if I have to repair with my PS4 every time.

If I use it on a PC via USB, does it lose pairing with the PS4? Would be super convenient to just plug my PS4 controller in to my laptop for steam home streaming,but not if I have to repair with my PS4 every time.

Nope I've been using mine to play gtav on steam just hooked up with a USB cord. Definitely stays paired with ps4

AndyD

aka andydumi

It does not. It can be BT paired with PS4 and USB work for PC. I use it that way in the living room right now and I can interchange all the controllers without issues. Only issue is if you want to play PC and accidentally press PS button before plugging it in, then you turn on the PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope I've been using mine to play gtav on steam just hooked up with a USB cord. Definitely stays paired with ps4

It does not. It can be BT paired with PS4 and USB work for PC. I use it that way in the living room right now and I can interchange all the controllers without issues. Only issue is if you want to play PC and accidentally press PS button before plugging it in, then you turn on the PS4.

Perfect, thanks guys

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Can anyone recommend a good Bluetooth adapter. I got this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q45EF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And my input lag is over 32ms often.
Edit: nvm maybe scp toolkit will fix it

Is it connected directly to the motherboard? Try connecting it to a USB extension cord and placing it away from the computer. I was getting a shit signal and input lag with the one I bought (the recommended one on the site) until I connected it to a extension cord I had lying around. Down to 1-2ms now and no more random dc's. Grinchy had similar success using an extension cord with the dongle you have.

It's definitely nothing special, but it's this one (edit- oh wow it's the same one as the guy you were quoting earlier):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q45EF4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I hated it and assumed it didn't work because it was cheap. This is the adapter I plugged it into instead of using the front of case or motherboard USB slots:
7iQCeKSm.png

And it now works amazingly. I've had a keyboard, mouse, and 2 PS4 controllers connected to it at the same time without a single hiccup.

Thanks, that worked. Not sure if it's meant to help with latency though.

I did try the dongle listed once, but I immediately returned it as I didn't notice any difference. Then again I was probably a bit hasty as I only tried one game (The Witcher 3, which at the time was the only game I cared about playing with). The one I currently use is a 2.0 Belkin, so this should be an improvement regardless.

Do background processes play a factor with latency? I noticed my list was rather huge, so I'm going to clean house on that soon.

Opening a tab/hitting reply, for example, sets the controller flashing red, so I think CPU or memory might play a factor here.
I had the same problems initially until I relocated the dongle with the aid of a USB extension cable. My AV unit has several wifi/bluetooth radios in various bits of kit.

Top Bottom