• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Valve Time flies: Episode Three/Half-Life 3 now Valve's longest-gestating project

Darkangel

At this point, they need to save "innovation" for other games and just make a really tight FPS game that wraps up the story after Ep2's cliffhanger. Seriously.

Make it to the usual high Valve quality standards and release it, and we're off your backs, Valve. Just do it. Make your dreams come true (etcetcetc)

They really should have just released Episode 3 back in 2009.

I don't want Half-life 3 to be some sort of weird experimental VR game with a cash shop.

ArtFuzzy

Banned
To the people acting like HL2 wasn't a big deal.. I don't know what to say. The game was revolutionary with its physics for the time and if you don't agree with that you either weren't around at that time or have a bad memory. It was also a long time after the first one.

I'm hoping they pull something off like that for 3, maybe VR related and blow everyone's socks off again.

It was a big deal but I think the first one covered more ground in innovation than the second one did.

I also recall people HATED that you had to install steam

Goddamn what a kick in the balls this is. I guess these things happen but the fact that they ended on a cliffhanger and will never give us the conclusion fucing sucks.

Fox318

I never finished 2. What was the cliffhanger¿

FZxVADe.gif

I understand why they are prioritizing other projects over this, but it's still sad when a creator breaks promises they've made with their audience when they are capable of fulfilling them. Having a cliffhanger ending, announcing a sequel, and then just abandoning the series isn't great way to handle it.

PSYGN

I wonder if Half Life 3 has become an in-house joke over there, especially amongst new employees who are fans of the series.

I've lost all hope this will ever come out. I get that games take time or whatever, but this is now along the ranks of other vaporware like Duke Nukem Forever and worse. In a way I'm happy that there will ever be a conclusion. And I will remember Half-Life for having the balls to end it's story on a cliffhanger.

Where is Half-Life Gabe?! Cries myself to sleep.

Seriously though, Valve doesn't even care about their other more recent games. It's been what, 4 years since Portal 2, and even longer since Left 4 Dead 2. Valve doesn't care about games they can't monetize, or games that don't involve having massive game economies. They have said that themselves. All their resources seem to be focused on Steam, ValveOS, Valve Hardware, DOTA2, and as of lately CS:GO.

Even as a long term Valve fan their current projects just don't interest me, their cooperative and single player games were great but I don't have the slightest interest in getting involved with the competitive community.

Stevey

I like this thread, but at the same time it's really, really depressing.
I get that games take time or whatever, but this is now along the ranks of other vaporware like Duke Nukem Forever and worse.

DNF took 14 years, so there's still hope :V

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't really give a shit anymore, sure I wanted to know what happened after I finished Ep2 on Orange Box ages ago but it hasn't been a driving, yearning desire for me all these years. HL2 is massively overrated too, if they did ever "finish it" I hope they do it in another episodic format cause I don't really trust them to make a compelling fps that's game length anymore. Gimme Portal 3 any day over HL. Not like I would turn down a VR made HL experience however :p

We think a like, although I don't care for Portal 3. I thought Portal was already stretched too thin with Portal 2. I don't care about Half-Life as a series that much, I've played all the games but it's not like the gameplay was the most revolutionary thing ever and it's story wasn't so compelling that I needed to know what the hell happened next. For fucks sake the main character doesn't even speak. It's not like I'm waiting for Mass Effect 3 where I'm anxiously waiting to see how the Reaper War will play out, what happened to all my companions, and how my decisions will effect and end this trilogy.

Of course, ME3 did come out and punched me in the gut as punishment for ever getting hyped. HL3 ain't no Mass Effect though so even if HL3 completed the "story" my reaction would be "meh okay" and not "OMG finally."

I wonder if Half Life 3 has become an in-house joke over there, especially amongst new employees who are fans of the series.

"Hey Bill, when did Gaben say you were gonna get that raise?"

"When Half-Life 3 comes out Todd, don't remind me."

The weird thing is, it feels longer going from Half-Life 1 to Half-Life 2 for me. It just doesn't seem like I've been waiting for Episode 3 that long even though I played through that fantastic cliff hangar back when it launched. I know HL2 is dated now too but some things still feel "new" in that game. I will never get tired of picking up the can in the beginning of the gam.e

I would be happy with a half page synopsis at this point
Right? Fucking anonymous TF2 characters have had more continued stories now at this point.

I've given up wishing though, and am slowly moving to 'who gives a shit'. Which is sad considering the first two are my favorite FPSs. There are actual games to play.

george_us

People who truly believe the Half-Life 2 formula to be dated to the point of redundancy or "aged badly" and use that as a deterrent against Half-Life 3 hype and straight continuation of the series as it is envisioned, presented, and played to me exist on such an unfathomable, separate layer of reality that I find said notions to be borderline offensive. Like I just don't even want to know. I don't want that toxicity to form such a person. Be gone from my existence, whatever you are.
I honestly don't see how people can say HL2 is dated in any area except graphics. In terms of core mechanics, level design, physics, and narrative it still destroys 99% of the games released to this day.

Nome

To the people acting like HL2 wasn't a big deal.. I don't know what to say. The game was revolutionary with its physics for the time and if you don't agree with that you either weren't around at that time or have a bad memory. It was also a long time after the first one.

I'm hoping they pull something off like that for 3, maybe VR related and blow everyone's socks off again.
It blew my socks off when it came out, but what is its legacy? It was novel, but was it revolutionary?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
CS:GO was doing a good job of distracting me from Half-Life (or just life in general) and then they go ahead and release that awesome Kelly Bailey music kit and remind me there hasn't been a HL since 2007.

sigh

We think a life, although I don't care for Portal 3. I thought Portal was already stretched too thin with Portal 2. I don't care about Half-Life as a series that much, I've played all the games but it's not like the gameplay was the most revolutionary thing ever and it's story wasn't so compelling that I needed to know what the hell happened next. For fucks sake the main character doesn't even speak. It's not like I'm waiting for Mass Effect 3 where I'm anxiously waiting to see how the Reaper War will play out, what happened to all my companions, and how my decisions will effect and end this trilogy.

Of course, ME3 did come out and punched me in the gut as punishment for ever getting hyped. HL3 ain't no Mass Effect though so even if HL3 completed the "story" my reaction would be "meh okay" and not "OMG finally."

Where I'm at with it at this point, if anything I'd like to see them focus on gameplay over a narrative (not like there's a ton of it to begin with), develop the AI further more along the lines of the seemingly emergent aspects hinted at in the E3 video, make environments incredibly dynamic and not just "ooo physics". They'd have to do a lot of impressive things with their template for level design for me to get excited about it. In other words...probably not gonna happen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I honestly don't see how people can say HL2 is dated in any area except graphics. In terms of core mechanics, level design, physics, and narrative it still destroys 99% of the games released to this day.

Exactly. Valve's level and encounter designs are out of this world, and it's why I don't feel Half-Life 3 needs to meet some arbitrary "revolutionary" standard in order to be incredible. I don't want them game because I need it to reinvent the wheel or even finish the story, but because they're still amazing games as is.

Top Bottom