• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Valve Time flies: Episode Three/Half-Life 3 now Valve's longest-gestating project

Nzyme32

At this point, they need to save "innovation" for other games and just make a really tight FPS game that wraps up the story after Ep2's cliffhanger. Seriously.

Make it to the usual high Valve quality standards and release it, and we're off your backs, Valve. Just do it. Make your dreams come true (etcetcetc)

They really don't. Completing the story arc of a cliff hanger is low hanging fruit, and an underwhelming return for HL as a series. As an episode or expansion perhaps, but it would still be underwhelming. It wouldn't live up to any expectations for what a new HL game has brought with it in the past. I am more than happy for them to take as long as it takes to bring out something that is remotely close to the leaps HL games have brought in the past. It could take another 5 or 10 years; it doesn't make a difference. The game has to at least attempt to live up to expectations, and that means innovating in a meaningful way that isn't something as forced as just another sequel to complete a story arc, better graphics and an open world or other regular tropes

Gemüsepizza;180514030 said:
garrykfonx.png

Just imagine:

- You are a billionaire.
- You love video games.
- You have the rights to the popular Half-Life series.

What would you do? You could just snap your fingers and the world's best developers would be fighting to work on this game. Just face it. Gabe doesn't give a crap about Half-Life or the fans anymore.

Not just Half Life, he doesn't give a crap about making video games. And I think because of it the dumb Internet gaben worship has slowed down, as it should.

dr_rus

I think the only way they could actually release it now and not have it disappoint is if HL3 sets the standard for how to make a VR First Person Shooter.

Half-Life 1 completely changed how First Person Shooters worked - Until then, everyone just copied Doom / Quake.

Half-Life 2 showed that Physics are a big deal and can make game environments much more believable.

Half Life 3 would have to innovate similar to how Mario 64 or the HL prequels innovated. I don't think it'd be enough if it's 'just' a great First Person Shooter, Half-Life always revolutionized gaming and that's what people come to expect from the series.

HL2 was hardly the first game which had physics in it. Saying that it revolutionized anything in this field is a bit strange because I don't see much physics puzzles in games which came out after HL2.

HL3 would be perfectly fine as just another shooter with great graphics, story and atmosphere. Some unique elements are to be expected, sure, but revolutionizing gaming? Nah. We're way past that point.

To be honest, at this point, I would be ok with a fan made Valve approved "HL2Ep3" mod which will conclude the HL2 storyline - or HL story in general if they don't feel like making HL games anymore.

A-V-B

They really don't. Completing the story arc of a cliff hanger is low hanging fruit, and an underwhelming return for HL as a series. As an episode or expansion perhaps, but it would still be underwhelming. It wouldn't live up to any expectations for what a new HL game has brought with it in the past.

At this point, they have so many people playing Dota and CSGO and Steam, they really can't damage their brand too much. Make HL3 solid and emotionally satisfying from a story standpoint, and we'll shut the fuck up forever.

I mean, what the hell are our expectations anymore? I think a lot of people would just be happy to see the damn thing released in a polished state. Like me. I don't need to be shocked by any big development. I don't need it to shake up the industry. Are the voice actors still there? Story good? Controls tight? Source 2, looks nice? Sounds nice? Smells nice? Yay, Half-Life 3.

Interfectum

Not just Half Life, he doesn't give a crap about making video games. And I think because of it the dumb Internet gaben worship has slowed down, as it should.

lol here we go.

Valve doesn't work on the games I want them to work on, so they don't give a crap about games.

Nzyme32

At this point, they have so many people playing Dota and CSGO and Steam, they really can't damage their brand too much. Make HL3 solid and emotionally satisfying from a story standpoint, and we'll shut the fuck up forever.

I mean, what the hell are our expectations anymore? I think a lot of people would just be happy to see the damn thing released in a polished state. Like me. I don't need to be shocked by any big development. Are the voice actors still there? Story good? Controls tight? Source 2, looks nice? Sounds nice? Smells nice? Yay, Half-Life 3.

Again, who cares about having to get people to "shut the fuck up forever". You want a completion to a story arc and nothing more - it's underwhelming and just another sequel like every other game. That isn't what previously Half-Life games have shot for outside of expansion packs, and at this point expansions make no sense. I'd rather wait for something truely worthwhile than get into a pointless circle of sequels and HL9, 10, 11 etc, where there is no real leap forward

lol here we go.

Valve doesn't work on the games I want them to work on, so they don't give a crap about games.

Dude. The end of HL2EP2 is one of the biggest cliff hangers ever.

It is mind bogglingly dumb that the sequel hasn't come out yet. Mind boggling. In every sense of the phrase.

It isn't that Valve "isn't working on the games I want them to work on". Its that they just decided to shelve one of the most revered franchises in history out of nowhere, with seemingly no rational reason for doing so.

Interfectum

Dude. The end of HL2EP2 is one of the biggest cliff hangers ever.

It is mind bogglingly dumb that the sequel hasn't come out yet. Mind boggling. In every sense of the phrase.

It isn't that Valve "isn't working on the games I want them to work on". Its that they just decided to shelve one of the most revered franchises in history out of nowhere, with seemingly no rational reason for doing so.

So? Still doesn't mean Gabe "doesn't care about games." Valve obviously lost interest in the Half-Life series and moved on to other things. Salty about the cliffhanger? Make an ending up in your head and move on with your life.

Widge

They really don't. Completing the story arc of a cliff hanger is low hanging fruit, and an underwhelming return for HL as a series. As an episode or expansion perhaps, but it would still be underwhelming. It wouldn't live up to any expectations for what a new HL game has brought with it in the past. I am more than happy for them to take as long as it takes to bring out something that is remotely close to the leaps HL games have brought in the past. It could take another 5 or 10 years; it doesn't make a difference. The game has to at least attempt to live up to expectations, and that means innovating in a meaningful way that isn't something as forced as just another sequel to complete a story arc, better graphics and an open world or other regular tropes

This is what I think. The FPS world has moved on significantly since HL2. If it tried to move with the times, it wouldn't be HalfLife, if it stayed the same, it would be a relic.

The time is past now.

So? Still doesn't mean Gabe "doesn't care about games." Valve obviously lost interest in the Half-Life series and moved on to other things. Salty about the cliffhanger? Make an ending up in your head and move on with your life.

Uh....what? Are you just here to shit on people?

I'm not salty, the whole thing is just stupid. Stupid without explanation. Stupid without need for justification or words to explain why it is stupid. A game creator that makes millions, or billions off of their art and the passion of their fans doesn't get to just "lose interest" in finishing a half told story. It is dumb and a waste of people's time, energy, and the internets ceaseless obsession with it. Gabe should have put it to bed a long time ago and just finished the story and moved on himself.

GlamFM

Banned
garrykfonx.png

Just imagine:

- You are a billionaire.
- You love video games.

What would you do? You could just snap your fingers and the world's best developers would be fighting to work on this game. Just face it. Gabe doesn't give a crap about Half-Life or the fans anymore.

It´s pretty obvious that his passion has shifted towards the number you see on the right.

Everything that makes it bigger is a go.

Everything that might make it shrink (or grow more slowly) is a no.

lol here we go.

They don't MAKE any games. I'm not talking about adding hats and characters for Dota and TF.

I'm not a big Half Life fan. The only Valve Franchises I really love are Portal and TF. But they have a lot of talented people that work there that don't get to create anything. I would be equally happy with a new IP.

So no, it's not that I'm some bitter Half Life fan.

In a November [2008] interview, David Speyrer explains that an Episode Three teaser at the end of Episode Two was deliberately omitted to avoid ruining the mood the player would have been in after the final scene by having it followed by a high action trailer. Another reason was to give them more creative freedom, and avoid being committed to anything seen in the potential trailer, stating they are trying to do "something pretty ambitious". He also states they did not want to make the same mistake as with the Episode Two trailer featured at the end of Episode One, as it is radically different from the finished game.

Sooooo... how many different versions do you think this game has been through? How much refining has gone into it? I'm actually getting more excited as time goes on, really.
Shenmue 3 is happening. Fury Road happened. And Fury Road was fucking amazing, partially because the old-school sensibilities from the previous films stuck around. I have no compelling reason to believe that this game is never coming out.

Sooooo... how many different versions do you think this game has been through? How much refining has gone into it? I'm actually getting more excited as time goes on, really.

This is the only thing I have left really. I mean, if Resident Evil 4's 5 years of complete changes can make it the masterpiece it was, I have to hope that somehow HL3 will transcend that game, assuming it even exists which I'm not even sure it does.

Crawl

They don't MAKE any games. I'm not talking about adding hats and characters for Dota and TF.

I'm not a big Half Life fan. The only Valve Franchises I really love are Portal and TF. But they have a lot of talented people that work there that don't get to create anything. I would be equally happy with a new IP.

So no, it's not that I'm some bitter Half Life fan.

I think people need to realize that single player experiences w/ high productions values and games that can be finished in a weekend like a Half Life or a portal are going the way of the dinosaur. Yes there are exceptions to every rule like Skyrim, GTA etc. But there's less and less games like this being made.

If your Valve whats better spending your time making something like Half Life 3 where you get a 1 time purchase of $40-50 or continuing an established service based game where the revenue stream is endless such as TF2 or DoTA 2.

No matter what people say, at the end of the day its all about the almighty dollar. And at this point most publishers / developers realize that single player focused AAA experiences are not the best return on investment compared to a service based online game.

Valve does not owe you anything. Half Life 3 or portal 3 or otherwise; Valve is loyal to its balance sheet like every other business. Don't like it? Tough. Valve is not some altruistic company - that will just make games for the fans even if it doesn't reward the time or the financal investment.

gatti-man

Explain to me what HL3 is? Why even compare it to Portal 2, what are the similarities to Portal 1 and 2 and say HL1 and 2?

The bolded shows the stupidity of this argument. Basically build a game out of some thrown together ideas that were made to suit a different game and throw out a sequel, for the sake of a sequel and satiating the desperate HL fan who, apparently, will accept anything. The HL games have innovated through their engines and mechanics that were not seen at their time. A new HL would have to live up to that to be considered a success not only to Valve but to the fans. Throwing Portal 2 mechanics into make a HL sequel doesn't suddenly make a good enough game.

There really is no telling what direction Valve would want to take HL in future other than what they have said in interviews. What they have said is that they will take what they learnt from Portal 2 and everything they have learnt from updates on the multiplayer side. So far the idea behind using Source 2 to have "thousands or millions of people" annotating and creating an "entertaining universe". I'd take a guess HL3 would look into those directions eventually

It doesn't take a smart person to see how portal mechanics could make a shooter, especially a half life shooter, awesome.

Interfectum

I'm not salty, the whole thing is just stupid. Stupid without explanation. Stupid without need for justification or words to explain why it is stupid. A game creator that makes millions, or billions off of their art and the passion of their fans doesn't get to just "lose interest" in finishing a half told story. It is dumb and a waste of people's time, energy, and the internets ceaseless obsession with it. Gabe should have put it to bed a long time ago and just finished the story and moved on himself.

I'd rather Valve stay Valve and make the games they want to make. They are an unpredictable and interesting developer. Years ago we never would have thought they would get into the MOBA genre with a sequel to Dota or even create their own controller. This stuff interests me far more than forcing them to create an FPS that takes up one of my Saturdays just cause I need to see what Gordon does next.

gatti-man

What it means to me is he doesn't care about half life fans. The fans that launched steam in the first place.

Them creating a sequel unworthy of the Half-Life name would be not caring about the fans. Like Metallica putting out St. Anger.

Ouch, but good point.

Valve will put out Half-Life 3 when they are ready to. I have faith that they won't until they have something they feel is worthy of the Half-Life name, and not a moment sooner.

inky

garrykfonx.png

Just imagine:

- You are a billionaire.
- You love video games.

He loves making content platforms (and the money they generate, that goes without saying). They probably haven't found a way to make Half Life a content platform so that's why it isn't a priority.

Just let it go guys. This game will never live to the expectations anyway. I don't even remember the fucking cliffhanger episode 2 ended with.
Of course I do. Gaben pls ;_;

c0Zm1c

I'd rather Valve stay Valve and make the games they want to make. They are an unpredictable and interesting developer. Years ago we never would have thought they would get into the MOBA genre with a sequel to Dota or even create their own controller. This stuff interests me far more than forcing them to create an FPS that takes up one of my Saturdays just cause I need to see what Gordon does next.

This is great if you like MOBAs or competitive FPS (CS, TF2) but for the rest of us who don't Valve has become mostly just a shop that sells other company's games.

The new controller interests me though.

Concept17

My guess is that Source 2 was coming along nicely, until PBR suddenly showed up, and they had to redesign the engine.

It better blow minds.

w0s

I would put the chances of a half-life 3 living up to even the mildest expectations at really low. Clearly it seems that valve doesn't even know what they could do to make some thing revolutionary (which maybe they just don't have that creative flow anymore).

coughlanio

I remember playing HL2: Episode 2 in my first month of university.

Since then, I finished university, and have been working in my current job for over 4 years...

Jesus.

I'm ok with them quitting single player/co-op games. Every sequel they've made (HL2, Portal 2, L4D2) has disappointed me and Clint Hocking is gone anyway.

Dot50Cal

Banned
To the people acting like HL2 wasn't a big deal.. I don't know what to say. The game was revolutionary with its physics for the time and if you don't agree with that you either weren't around at that time or have a bad memory. It was also a long time after the first one.

I'm hoping they pull something off like that for 3, maybe VR related and blow everyone's socks off again.

Top Bottom