• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Valve Time flies: Episode Three/Half-Life 3 now Valve's longest-gestating project

Lingitiz

I still think it'll come out someday. Until then don't worry about it.

That's where I'm at too I guess. I'm not waiting with baited breath for it or thinking about it a lot, but if/when the day ever comes I will drop everything and play the shit out of it.

I think the only way they could actually release it now and not have it disappoint is if HL3 sets the standard for how to make a VR First Person Shooter.

Half-Life 1 completely changed how First Person Shooters worked - Until then, everyone just copied Doom / Quake.

Half-Life 2 showed that Physics are a big deal and can make game environments much more believable.

Half Life 3 would have to innovate similar to how Mario 64 or the HL prequels innovated. I don't think it'd be enough if it's 'just' a great First Person Shooter, Half-Life always revolutionized gaming and that's what people come to expect from the series.

Right, and I'd add that Half-Life 2 really set the bar for realistic human characters, animation, and acting that all felt believable a natural. It was ahead of anything around it's time and is really one of the games that set a standard for others to follow.

I'm not sure how you follow up 2 genre defining games. I know a lot of people don't necessarily need that and just want to see the story completed, but I doubt Valve wants to do anything just for the sake of "getting it done."

I would love to play HL3 when it came out, I do think it will eventually be released. I just don't think it will be a flop. I think it will be a major success.

I think the people comparing HL3 to Juke Nukem is an unfair comparison. Duke had a lot of things playing against it.

1. Poor Gameplay. - I think this was the mortal blow for this game. We could have forgiven it, if it had had been a rewarding/entertaining gameplay.

2. It played on it's age. Jo Marketing decided to use the fact it has been in development for 10 years as a good thing. In trailers it had adverts saying "waited log enough?" It would have been a smart move if the game hadn't sucked. It built itself up to fail.

3. It's development. At some point the game should have just been canned and left to die. This constant state of passing hands, each with a new idea or way of developing the game.

Nuke had a lot of problems. HLF3 only has to have good gameplay and we won't care so much of the hype. Sure people will still complain, but we won't care. HLF3 is here.

GlamFM

Banned
HL3 is not coming, and I absolutely don´t understand why people still have hope.

There were some hints that it was "in development" at some point, but even that is too long ago to still be relevant.

Every sign points to "no".

VALVe is a different company now. Everybody knows that.

letitgo.gif

EDIT: Post just below is a GREAT example...

Machina

Banned
I know Valve time shits people off to no end, and I understand it because it pisses me off too, but Valve take their time because they know they can.

Half Life and Half Life 2 are arguably the greatest shooters ever made, while Portal, TF 1 and 2 and Left 4 Dead are held in very high regard as well, so they haven't let us down yet.

Did I mention Counter Strike?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant stop believing because I'm afraid of existing with the alternative.

Sölf

For the longest time I figured the game would eventually find its way out. But now I'm not so sure. The myth of the game has grown so big that Valve is almost in a no-win situation if they actually release it unless it's the best FPS ever.

Basically, the next Duke Nukem Forever. I am sure, it doesn't matter when they release it, it won't be what people expected it to be.

Costia

I think the only way they could actually release it now and not have it disappoint is if HL3 sets the standard for how to make a VR First Person Shooter.

Half-Life 1 completely changed how First Person Shooters worked - Until then, everyone just copied Doom / Quake.

Half-Life 2 showed that Physics are a big deal and can make game environments much more believable.

Half Life 3 would have to innovate similar to how Mario 64 or the HL prequels innovated. I don't think it'd be enough if it's 'just' a great First Person Shooter, Half-Life always revolutionized gaming and that's what people come to expect from the series.

That's why I think HL3 going to be the first good VR FPS.

Hermii

Why the hell did they decide to end this series on a cliffhanger? If you're going to do that and then abandon the series forever then at least have the decency to write up a summary of what WOULD have happened next and post it online.
They should at least release half life 3 the comic book so we can get some closure.

Piers

Will ultimately face the same fate Duke Nukem Forever. Expectations has gone too high, it's not worth developing by now.

GlamFM

Banned
They should at least release half life 3 the comic book so we can get some closure.

But a comic would cost money to make and wont make the millions of dollars that a cosmetic item in DOTA makes in 10 minutes.

Sadly this is VALVe 2015.

They have to be saving it for the HTC Vive. I really hope they get a working model for it sometime. However, we haven't heard much from them these days. That being said, their usual titles are getting updates as ever.

Cirdan

Neo Member
I used to replay the series almost yearly and figured I'd do it till episode 3/ HL3 hits.
I stopped that in 2012 or 2013. Can't even remember anymore.

Anyway at this point I'd take any single player game they decide to do. Figure the next one is probably a f2p cardgame though to complete the portfolio they share with Blizzard.

I would have said there is no hope left, but remembering last E3 it seems pretty much anything can happen in this industry if you wait long enough. Being mainly a fan of their single player games is suffering however.

mStudios

The expectation are so high that they don't want to disappoint anyone.
So they got two options:
1)Make the greatest game ever
2)Do not make HL3

Aegryan

Neo Member
Like your own mortality, it can be difficult to accept.

Thank you, Valve, for teaching us this important and painful existential lesson.

No DOTA money, no.

What about... money... made of peoples passion and love and purity and video games and all that is great in the world because Half-Life is the revolution we need, Ron Paul 2012 believe in the revolution and we will defeat Mccain, no more patriot act, 9/11 was an inside job

how can Half Life 3 be the longest-gestating project if it was never really announced?

Gemüsepizza;180514030 said:
garrykfonx.png

Just imagine:

- You are a billionaire.
- You love videogames.
- You have the rights to the popular Half-Life series.

What would you do? You could just snap your fingers and the world's best developers would be fighting to work on this game. Just face it. Gabe doesn't give a crap about Half-Life or the fans anymore.

he leads a company and that company acts in its best interest and i don't think HL3 is that right now.

cyba89

I mean of course I will play it when (if?) this comes out, but I have to say over the years I lost all the interest I had in the story and the characters. I honestly don't care if the game ever comes out or not anymore.

GlamFM

Banned
What about... money... made of peoples passion and love and purity and video games and all that is great in the world because Half-Life is the revolution we need, Ron Paul 2012 believe in the revolution and we will defeat Mccain, no more patriot act, 9/11 was an inside job

What about rainbows and unicorns?

Bluth54

But a comic would cost money to make and wont make the millions of dollars that a cosmetic item in DOTA makes in 10 minutes.

Sadly this is VALVe 2015.
Valve has a comic team in house that they use to release free TF2 and Dota comics. They don't directly make money off of those comics (in fact they have an ongoing series of TF2 comics that don't tie into any updates and have never been released with any update) but they still release them and they could do a Half Life comic if they wanted to.

GlamFM

Banned
Valve has a comic team in house that they use to release free TF2 and Dota comics. They don't directly make money off of those comics (in fact they have an ongoing series of TF2 comics that don't tie into any updates and have never been released with any update) but they still release them and they could do a Half Life comic if they wanted to.

Sure they could if they wanted to - they just don't want to.

We really should start caring about this stuff just as much as Valve does.

HL2 was released in 2004, Episode 2 at some point in 2007 if I recall correctly. I honestly think that a significant user base is not that familiar with the Half-Life franchise. There is probably more money in CSGO and Dota.

Might be alone, but I don't trust the current valve to be able to create something worthy.

Hope I'm wrong.

The current Valve wouldn't have released HL2 in the first place.

Zombine

Banned
What I don't understand is that basically the story writes itself:

Lots of explosions
Tight gun play
Something about having to go through the portals to stop them
Dog dies saving Vance
Some more people die
Portal Easter eggs
Combine fights
Shitty vehicle scenes
Throw in Nathan Fillion because why the fuck not?
Have Freeman sacrifice himself to save the world

The end.

Freeman

Banned
HL³, final game of the series, AAAA, VR only, Source 2, Vulkan, soft breast physics, Dog, Gravity Gun 2.0, Troy Baker, Borealis, do it.

What I don't understand is that basically the story writes itself:

Lots of explosions
Tight gun play
Something about having to go through the portals to stop them
Dog dies saving Vance
Some more people die
Portal Easter eggs
Combine fights
Shitty vehicle scenes
Throw in Nathan Fillion because why the fuck not?
Have Freeman sacrifice himself to save the world

The end.

Dying isn't in his contract.

Saty

The closest thing to a HL3 we're gonna get is a L4D3 DLC campaign starring Gordon, Alyx, Barney and Shephard.

KillySG10

Neo Member
Every day i wish i could let go, but i just can't. It's frustrating and makes me irrationally hate Valve sometimes. I wish they'd just say something, like 'it's not coming for a while' or something, ANYTHING!! ...

gabbo

HL3 is not coming, and I absolutely don´t understand why people still have hope.

I never gave up on DNF existing (bad precedent), and it came out. I have [a little] more faith in Valve than 3DRealm/Gearbox.
Also, I want a conclusion.

Top Bottom