• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Valve Time flies: Episode Three/Half-Life 3 now Valve's longest-gestating project

GlamFM

Banned
I never gave up on DNF existing (bad precedent), and it came out. I have [a little] more faith in Valve than 3DRealm/Gearbox.
Also, I want a conclusion.

It´s different though, because the joke that was 3DRealms simply could´t make DNF.

VALVe is still there.

They could make it, they just don´t want to.

It's been too long now. Releasing it now without it being anything other than the best game ever made will just hurt the companies image. Best to just move on if you're Valve.

I don't think they're scared of how the game would be received, it's just the usual concerns, the dollars. They're addicted to money and they make more of it putting their resources towards other things instead of an ambitious single player FPS.

They don't have to worry about shareholders though. So you'd think they have a little more room to fuck around with something crazy and ambitious. Having so much money does allow them to try something spectacular and surely, surely creating something absolutely spectacular (like the first Half-Life) must provide a motivation at least equal to money to a couple of ambitious individuals at Valve.

I mean, I would hope so.

Interfectum

I don't think they're scared of how the game would be received, it's just the usual concerns, the dollars. They're addicted to money and they make more of it putting their resources towards other things instead of an ambitious single player FPS.

I don't think its all about money. I just don't think a vast majority at Valve has interest in making a AAA single player FPS.

Maybe now that Source 2 is out the gate there will be a group in Valve wanting to put the engine to the test with a HL3 or Portal 3... we'll just have to wait and see.

Bluth54

I never gave up on DNF existing (bad precedent), and it came out. I have [a little] more faith in Valve than 3DRealm/Gearbox.
Also, I want a conclusion.

Yeah Valve has proved with TF2 that they can take a very long time to work on a game and put out a great game. It's very understandable you would have faith in Valve.

Clegg

Would be the biggest heart wrencher of a gaming cliffhanger if they never released HL3.

"Don't leave me."

fuck

LeleSocho

Banned
I can't believe there's people that believe that the game won't come out in some not defined point in time.

I think it will be out in 3-4 years max.

I think not releasing it would hurt their image even more.

why?

they havent released it. or hinted at it.

and valve is doing fine right now. hell, valve is doing VERY fine.

its not like in three years, if its still not out, everyone is gonna be like WELL SCREW STEAM AND ALL VALVE GAMES.

gabbo

Why does Vavle not just say something at this point?

Right now, they have some hype, fans want the game.
If they say it's not happening, they lose that. If they say anything else (according to them), the fans will turn on them with outrageous expectations and scrutinize every single word of the statement and they don't want that. But not saying anything does this anyway.

Moronwind

Banned
Why does Vavle not just say something at this point?

People from the company have talked about it quite a bit over the years, it feels like they're acting increasingly blazé though, which is frustrating.

why?

they havent released it. or hinted at it.

and valve is doing fine right now. hell, valve is doing VERY fine.

its not like in three years, if its still not out, everyone is gonna be like WELL SCREW STEAM AND ALL VALVE GAMES.

You think a disappointing Half-Life 3 would change any of that? I'd say Valve's image has been hurt plenty already, they're not exactly the darling they were just a few years back. Ultimately none of that matters to their bottom line.

I want them to release it just because a part of me wants to read some huge controversy when a major web site only gives it 8/10 and says that gordon freeman represents white male privilege.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
People who truly believe the Half-Life 2 formula to be dated to the point of redundancy or "aged badly" and use that as a deterrent against Half-Life 3 hype and straight continuation of the series as it is envisioned, presented, and played to me exist on such an unfathomable, separate layer of reality that I find said notions to be borderline offensive. Like I just don't even want to know. I don't want that toxicity to form such a person. Be gone from my existence, whatever you are.

People who truly believe the Half-Life 2 formula to be dated to the point of redundancy or "aged badly" and use that as a deterrent against Half-Life 3 hype and straight continuation of the series as it is envisioned, presented, and played to me exist on such an unfathomable, separate layer of reality that I find said notions to be borderline offensive. Like I just don't even want to know. I don't want that toxicity to form such a person. Be gone from my existence, whatever you are.
THIS

Because there is nothing to talk about. There simply is no Half Life 3.
Well it would be easy to directly say so right?

LeleSocho

Banned
That's what people were thinking 3-4 years ago.

They just have to get things out of their hands right now, Source2, SteamOS, L4D3... time two years and they'll complete these things and in the other two they'll finish the development of the game.
I think most of the story and 10-20% of the script is set in stone, they just have to complete it.

daveo42

Banned
I have zero expectations that this game will ever launch. While I really want to see the conclusion to Half-Life, I don't think anything they could release would live up to the expectations of those still waiting for Gordon Freeman to take the stage one last time.

Edit: The reason why they've never flat out said it's been cancelled is because I think they still want to make it, but want to provide a new level of experience in 3 as they did with 2 with their physics modeling and gravity gun. they haven't found or developed whatever that is. I'd say that could be VR, but an intuitive movement system still isn't quite there yet. Lighthouse is fine for room-sized movement, but wouldn't work well for a long, open fps.

You think a disappointing Half-Life 3 would change any of that? I'd say Valve's image has been hurt plenty already, they're not exactly the darling they were just a few years back. Ultimately none of that matters to their bottom line.

well thats my point really, they dont need to make half life 3. their public perception doesnt matter when they are printing money.

I often wonder if current Valve are capable of making a worthy sequel if it does happen.

Prove me wrong Gabe.

Please prove me wrong :(

gabbo

I often wonder if current Valve are capable of making a worthy sequel if it does happen.

Prove me wrong Gabe.

Please prove me wrong :(

A lot of high profile names that could lend to a great game have passed through the halls of Valve since HLEp3 was indirectly announced/cliffhangered into existence. Some are still there (Doug Church) others have (Clint Hawking) left.

Maybe if we look at Half Life release dates from a very skewed scientific use of the term half life from science it all makes sense!

Half life 1 : 1998

6 Years

Half Life 2 : 2004

12 Years

Half Life 3: 2016????? CONFIRMED

Half Life 4 You say? 2040???

gatti-man

Gemüsepizza;180514030 said:
garrykfonx.png

Just imagine:

- You are a billionaire.
- You love video games.
- You have the rights to the popular Half-Life series.

What would you do? You could just snap your fingers and the world's best developers would be fighting to work on this game. Just face it. Gabe doesn't give a crap about Half-Life or the fans anymore.
This is exactly how I feel.

Nzyme32

Gemüsepizza;180514030 said:
garrykfonx.png

Just imagine:

- You are a billionaire.
- You love video games.
- You have the rights to the popular Half-Life series.

What would you do? You could just snap your fingers and the world's best developers would be fighting to work on this game. Just face it. Gabe doesn't give a crap about Half-Life or the fans anymore.

Or they actual want to innovate, have been working on it, or are failing to find the most fitting way to bring about an appropriate HL sequel. Throwing "the world's best developers at it" for more of the same, isn't really what HL has been doing outside of the episodes / expansions.

"Gabe doesn't give a crap about Half-Life or the fans anymore" is the argument of the entitled gamer, with no concept of what might or might not be happening behind the scenes

dani_dc

They just have to get things out of their hands right now, Source2, SteamOS, L4D3... time two years and they'll complete these things and in the other two they'll finish the development of the game.
I think most of the story and 10-20% of the script is set in stone, they just have to complete it.

A few years ago they had Steam, L4D, L4D2, Portal 2 in their hands.

In two years time they'll just have different things in their hands.

ChaosXVI

I'm really stunned that we haven't heard anything by now...Back when Portal 2 was on the horizon, I just figured maybe they were just side-tracking HL3 for a bit so they could put all of their efforts into Portal 2, and that we'd get HL3 2-3 years after that...

But now Portal 2 has been out for more than 4 years (Already!?), and we've still got nothing...

It's certainly worrying...I'm curious how much work was completed and how much of the stuff from 2007 is even still around, if the game is even being worked on at all at this point. If it ever does get announced, I hope it's at somebody's E3 Conference, it would break the internet even harder than the Shenmue 3/FFVII combo.

Moronwind

Banned
A lot of high profile names that could lend to a great game have passed through the halls of Valve since HLEp3 was indirectly announced/cliffhangered into existence. Some are still there (Doug Church) others have (Clint Hawking) left.

Episode 3 was one hundred percent directly announced. We've known about it ever since Half-Life 2 Aftermath morphed into Episode 1.

Valve is a fantastic store to me at this point. I have no interest in anything they produce since Portal 2. Not saying it's bad, of course it's well received. But HL and Portal are the only IPs they have that I'm interested in.

I don't expect a HL3, ever. I've accepted it.

Inuteu

Half-Life 1 completely changed how First Person Shooters worked - Until then, everyone just copied Doom / Quake.

Half-Life 2 showed that Physics are a big deal and can make game environments much more believable.

Half Life 3 would have to innovate similar to how Mario 64 or the HL prequels innovated. I don't think it'd be enough if it's 'just' a great First Person Shooter, Half-Life always revolutionized gaming and that's what people come to expect from the series.

I think HL3 could do this again if they could put the new VR technology to good use

Crawl

I think people would be better off believing this game is never coming and put it out of their mind. And then if / when it does come be pleasantly surprised about it.

gatti-man

Or they actual want to innovate, have been working on it, or are failing to find the most fitting way to bring about an appropriate HL sequel. Throwing "the world's best developers at it" for more of the same, isn't really what HL has been doing outside of the episodes / expansions.

"Gabe doesn't give a crap about Half-Life or the fans anymore" is the argument of the entitled gamer, with no concept of what might or might not be happening behind the scenes

Or the common sense gamer. Are you saying they can make portal 2 but not hl 3? Basically only if they were entirely creatively bankrupt would they not be able to make hl3 using your logic and portal 2 proves they are still very creative.

Honestly they could have scrapped portal 2 used those new mechanics in hl3 and that would have been creative enough tied to a good story. But they didn't. They have no desire to finish half life. If Gabe wanted it done, it would be done. It's really that simple.

Fox318

At this point I just wish they released a comic.

Its clear that their staff is too busy using the community to make hats to make a game anymore

DrArchon

I've fully resigned myself to the reality that Half-Life 3 will never happen. Valve could sat on their ass doing nothing and make more money from hats and Steam than they ever could from HL3.

Nzyme32

Or the common sense gamer. Are you saying they can make portal 2 but not hl 3? Basically only if they were entirely creatively bankrupt would they not be able to make hl3 using your logic and portal 2 proves they are still very creative.

Honestly they could have scrapped portal 2 used those new mechanics in hl3 and that would have been creative enough tied to a good story. But they didn't. They have no desire to finish half life. If Gabe wanted it done, it would be done. It's really that simple.

Explain to me what HL3 is? Why even compare it to Portal 2, what are the similarities to Portal 1 and 2 and say HL1 and 2?

The bolded shows the stupidity of this argument. Basically build a game out of some thrown together ideas that were made to suit a different game and throw out a sequel, for the sake of a sequel and satiating the desperate HL fan who, apparently, will accept anything. The HL games have innovated through their engines and mechanics that were not seen at their time. A new HL would have to live up to that to be considered a success not only to Valve but to the fans. Throwing Portal 2 mechanics into make a HL sequel doesn't suddenly make a good enough game.

There really is no telling what direction Valve would want to take HL in future other than what they have said in interviews. What they have said is that they will take what they learnt from Portal 2 and everything they have learnt from updates on the multiplayer side. So far the idea behind using Source 2 to have "thousands or millions of people" annotating and creating an "entertaining universe". I'd take a guess HL3 would look into those directions eventually

Piers

I think not releasing it would hurt their image even more.

At this point, Half-Life isn't as popular or well regarded with the masses as you might think. Valve is recognised more these days for TF2, Dota 2 and CS
If it is announced, people will wonder why a bunch of granddads are getting major hyped

A-V-B

Or they actual want to innovate, have been working on it, or are failing to find the most fitting way to bring about an appropriate HL sequel.

At this point, they need to save "innovation" for other games and just make a really tight FPS game that wraps up the story after Ep2's cliffhanger. Seriously.

Make it to the usual high Valve quality standards and release it, and we're off your backs, Valve. Just do it. Make your dreams come true (etcetcetc)

aliengmr

I think the explanation is probably pretty simple as to why they haven't released anything. Something like, "No one chose to work on it and moved on to other things". It makes "Valve-sense".

But what I have never understood is why they just haven't been completely up front about it. All they would have to do is say "Its shelved, don't expect it any time soon, if ever". Better yet they could just explain what went down and why nothing materialized. A couple years ago I understood why they might not want to say anything, but at this point it hardly matters.

I'm more interested in finding out what happened than I am about the game.

Top Bottom