• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Watch_Dogs looks on PS4 [heavy GIFz retrospective]

Durante

Even if you just look at the progression in the OP (disregarding the initial reveal), and even just looking at these gifs (which of course masks any possible IQ differences), I still think there's a rather obvious downgrade going on from the first set to the final set. One example are clothes and hair, particularly of standard NPCs the player passes by. Another is significant LOD pop-in.

Obviously the difference isn't even remotely as huge in most situations as it is in that famous "car vault" comparison.

i'm glad there has been all this hoopla about a downgrade, that lowered my expectations a lot.. so when i finally watched the footage i thought it looked great :) thanks GAF.

i just hope it runs smoothly on PS4. any chugging or screentearing will put me off totally. didn't see that in the footage so i'm hopeful.

yurinka

wd1.gif

From the gamersyde video.
Someone should gif the scene from the 2012 reveal trailer where you see a part of day cycle in speed mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMRkyoHKeA
Starts at 1:02
Clearly shows that lighting makes a huge difference.

Shadows weren't exactly sharp in the 2012 reveal.
After checking this, specially considering ultra high-end PC vs PS4. can someone tell me where is the downgrade exactly?

Maybe it's because it the 2014 video doesn't appear windy / rainy setting or shows a less crowded part of the city (something not removed as they told)? Or maybe because people took too much conclussions from a highly compressed youtube video?

To be honest, and I know it is sort of in good fun, but I am not sure why this specific analogy is tolerated here. 'Master race', 'peasants' etc. I mean sure it is used in a rather niche context, but the origins of these concepts have some heavy, heavy connotations and history. I mean the usage is getting a bit ubiquitous here and I feel it is in a bit of bad taste.

Stare-Bear

Banned
This game just can't catch a break. First it gets put to shame by GTA5 causing a delay of several months. And now Infamous: Second Son is killing it in the looks department...

Alebelly

It wasn't just the downgradaton GAF thread, on the PSblog, when Ubi showed of that recent trailer, everyone in the comments section over there was doing a Wtf, this has to be PS3 footage

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
To be honest, and I know it is sort of in good fun, but I am not sure why this specific analogy is tolerated here. 'Master race', 'peasants' etc. I mean sure it is used in a rather niche context, but the origins of these concepts have some heavy, heavy connotations and history. I mean the usage is getting a bit ubiquitous here and I feel it is in a bit of bad taste.
You used to get warnings for that kind of language. GAF changed, man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even if you just look at the progression in the OP (disregarding the initial reveal), and even just looking at these gifs (which of course masks any possible IQ differences), I still think there's a rather obvious downgrade going on from the first set to the final set. One example are clothes and hair, particularly of standard NPCs the player passes by. Another is significant LOD pop-in.

Obviously the difference isn't even remotely as huge in most situations as it is in that famous "car vault" comparison.
The lighting and shadowing is a pretty major change, even in these comparisons. It significantly impacts the look at atmosphere of the game.

So this is gonna look better than infamous on PS4?

NOPE

borius

Neo Member
it's hard to judge without direct feed fotage. Youtube compression can be either good or bad for a cross gen game is the worst.

viveks86

Agreed. Something tells me this is another screw up like the Aisha Tyler video. I hope I'm right. E3 and September 2013 should be the baseline. If it isn't, then Ubi better explain why.

IcyEyes

Ahhh, the heavy denial of peasants...amazing

Wow, what a bad post. Really, really childish.

PS4 is weaker than a PC with ONE mid range GPU.

Really ?
I dislike so much post like this.

and

for all that people who haven't read the title of the thread I will post here again :

How Watch_Dogs looks on PS4 [heavy GIFz retrospective]

We are talking about the PS4 ... It's pretty easy to understand.

DryvBy

It still looks fun. Graphically, sucky they changed up everything but meh. I have little hope for The Division now.

Vizzeh

Banned
All Next Gen versions likely to be equal to the lowest common denominator to cut production costs? ie quality of textures cut back etc. Makes sense tbh. Only difference likely will be FPS/Resolution if any.

Skeff

But you apparently have no dislike of the ridiculous hyperbole of the OP? Essentially claiming that you need a tripple SLI PC to beat a PS4?

Actually the op doesn't say that at all, I suggest you re-read it.

It says a tri SLI is superior to ps4 but that is all, there is no inference that tri SLI is required to outperform a ps4 at all. Please read a little closer.

Ramenman

All of this talk makes me want to see the game in person. No matter how it looks, a 100 thread page *is* overreacting.

I think the initial footage was more a "proof of concept" type showing that they hoped to achieve based on their info and resources at the time.

As time went on they probably realised they couldn't get it to THAT level and scaled it back

NO NO NO ! This is WRONG ! Devs should ONLY show things they are 100% sure they will achieve ! Else this is SHAMEFUL ANTI-CONSUMER LYINGNESS !!!!!

fear not, this is but a sarcastic depiction of behavior witnessed in the other Watchdogs thread (plus the 12 other threads on the front page that don't mention watchdogs but are clearly spawned because of it)

Thrakier

Who cares anyway? It's a Ubisoft game, it'll run like shit at 24FPS, with or without a downgrade.

I know, some of you like 24FPS.

viveks86

NO NO NO ! This is WRONG ! Devs should ONLY show things they are 100% sure they will achieve ! Else this is SHAMEFUL ANTI-CONSUMER LYINGNESS !!!!!

I know man! The gaming industry is the only one that is so messed up. I mean, look at all the honest advertisements we see every single day on every other product. Everything is exactly the way it is shown. No exaggeration whatsoever. The poor gamer is the only one being fooled. They should start displaying unreadably tiny fine print on the bottom right so that every consumer is adequately informed of the unforeseen potential discrepancy 2 years in the future. This calls for a revolution I say! Get your placards ready!

yurinka

So this is gonna look better than infamous on PS4?
  • Infamous is 1st party, Watchdogs is 3rd party so the tech knowledge and availability isn't the same.
  • Infamous is exclusive for a single platform, Watchdogs is for 6 platforms so resources are spreaded through them.
  • Infamouns is next-gen only, Watchdogs is crossgen so they need to make sure things work in both sides.
So no, there's no reason to think it will look better than Infamous.

peace

Neo Member
the original demo was running using 2 or 3 680's I heard. I don't know if that's true but if it is then not just PS4 owners but surely 99.99% of PC owners would get a disappointingly poorer looking game to the demo.

steev101

Neo Member
I remember watching the now infamous 2012 e3 trailer and thinking, this was the sort of stuff we were going to be getting straight out of the gate with the new consoles.

How naive.

i'm very curious for the reviews on this game come release. i think the only way i'm gonna be up for this one at this point is if it is nailing 9s and 10s across the board.

Die@Hard or anyone here in Gaf who's good at gif-ing, can you look at the video in the link: http://www.everyeye.it/video/ps4/watch-dogs_videoanteprima_13243

and gif the segment between 1:58-2:08, the lighting is superb and everything looks nice, it's the very same video that features the car jumping on the blinking bridge and that low res warehouse segments. I want to believe that Ubisoft would definitely deliver on the graphical prowess with Watch Dogs on the PS4!

Nice discussion thread, thanks for making it. Enjoyed reading it. This game, however, is still on my 'wait and see' list. Will probably check out some streams and see what people think. It looks fun, so perhaps I can look past 'what could have been' graphics wise.

Top Bottom