• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Watch_Dogs looks on PS4 [heavy GIFz retrospective]

DieH@rd

Banned
Funny thing is, in the Italian footage the IQ of the gameplay and the trailer are different. Despite the footage being 720p the gameplay stuff has noticibly better IQ than the trailer. Ubi seems to have messed up with trailer.

After seeing all this, it is difficult to tell whether the game has had a downgrade from the PS4 footage or not, since the quality of footage is not sufficiently high and conditions are not the same. However, the bit with the car, especially at the bridge, just looks crap. What is up with that bit...the motion blur effect is terrible.

Can you please link that Italian footage?

How you can look at these GIFs and say the graphics haven't been downgraded will ever be beyond me. And I usually neither care about nor notice these things. Not to say it doesn't look good, but it's worlds apart from E3 2012 and even Feb 2013/E3 2013 version.

The weather/time conditions are different... The lighting is supposed to look different on these... We would need footage from the same time/weather to properly compare.

Also, apart from lighting setup changes, asset quality does look the same.

PS4 is weaker than a PC with ONE mid range GPU.
While this might be technically accurate, the reality is different. If the PS4 was running Windows, with no specific optimisation for its hardware, then yeah, it would be a distinctly mid-range PC. This is not the case. As such, the PS4 will be doing things above and beyond what you'd expect from today's mid-range PC (by the end of its life).

Bandit1

While this might be technically accurate, the reality is different. If the PS4 was running Windows, with no specific optimisation for its hardware, then yeah, it would be a distinctly mid-range PC. This is not the case. As such, the PS4 will be doing things above and beyond what you'd expect from today's mid-range PC (by the end of its life).

Truth hurts. I know.

YES YOU DO.

bazqF.gif

Let's not derail this thread into a PS4 vs PC debate

viveks86

From the other thread.

Here is a gif (with accelerated time) of the entire sequence, freezing at a few key points. The car looks "good" or "bad" depending on the lighting. I'd take from that the the infamous gif in the OP shows the worst possible comparison and that the game is indeed running better than at E3 2013. Nevertheless, it's in my opinion not as good looking as the E3 2012 trailer.

ib0wEkzMU0fexi.gif

PC gamers the most annoying breed of people on the internet.
As a PC gamer I am embarrassed for Kinthalis, who either doesn't understand the points being made, or is choosing to ignore them and troll. We are not all like this.

So Watch_Dogs eh. I certainly hope Ubisoft is preparing some new gameplay footage that shows the supposedly missing elements. I mean surely they're not just going to leave it at 'don't worry, the graphics are fine'? What's the deal with that B-roll anyway? Are there other sites using it apart from that Italian one?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yea...I agree with those saying GTA V daytime looks better. Watching some folks play it now at my apt.

I assume that or the lighting can be tweaked before or after the game releases.

AlterOdin

It kinda reminds of the first assassin creed trailer, witch was clearly cg, and some people proclaiming it to be real time/how the game would look (and it looked ALOT better that WD first reveal).

Although I seems they played these things down a bit since then. It will be interesting of what the release will like.

Crosse-gen curse?

TyrantII

From the other thread.

Yes! a 5" X 3" GIF. Spaghetti Lord, we've been saved!

Look guys, GIFs are fun and sexy and show off gameplay well, but trying to pass them off as ways to gauge IQ on games that are rendering 2.07 million pixels is stretching it.

You're trying to compare super sampled 90,000 pixels image to 2,070,000 or so and claim the emperor has clothes. It doesn't work that way.

EX: Holy crap, GTA is running as nice as Watchdogs!

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yea...I agree with those saying GTA V daytime looks better. Watching some folks play it now at my apt.

I assume that or the lighting can be tweaked before or after the game releases.

This. From new footage we've recently seen of WD's it does not look that much better than GTA V and a far cry from that reveal trailer that everyone was drooling over.

Skeff

Look guys, GIFs are fun and sexy and show off gameplay well, but trying to pass them off as ways to gauge IQ on games that are rendering 2.07 million pixels is stretching it.

You're trying to compare super sampled 90,000 pixels image to 2,070,000 or so and claim the emperor has clothes. It doesn't work that way.

Did you read the post as well as look at the GIF? It shows how the exact same build of a game using the exact same car model can look both good and bad in one clip. It has nothing to do with judging the graphics of watchdogs in particular, it is a visual explanation of how the same game can look visually different based purely on the clips used.

Readingaid

Neo Member
Watching the old "walkthroughs" is a little depressing. The game looked great and truly next gen with amazing features. But the downgrade on the visuals extends beyond the switch and bait ubisoft did.

Essentially trailers and gameplay demos are an opportunity for game devs to say "buy our product" to show you something you desperately wanted to play and then gradually strip it down and still expect you to be as excited is pretty nieve on thier part.

Then take into account personal satisfaction. When I'm playing this game I'll be looking at it and remembering that initial reveal. I can't speak for you guys but to me that devalues the game enough for me not to buy it.

Today I read something about 8 player MP I just rolled my eyes. The idea sounds cool but I honestly proffered the idea of silently infiltrating another players game and not just one big shoot out.

Depends on what you define as a mid-range GPU. A GTX760 is not considered mid-range, it's more of an upper mid-range GPU. I would consider a 260x to be mid-range and it isn't as powerful as a PS4. Even coupling it with a good CPU still won't make up for the lower bandwidth.

I think you are trolling though, because BF4 is a shit game on every level.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The daytime gifs from the Feb 2014 PS4 reveal in the OP show a pretty drastic drop in quality. Lighting and shadows are significantly worse. The indoor areas from the most recent trailer don't even seem to have proper light sources. It's just the flat grey that the editor applies before lights are added.

viveks86

EX: Holy crap, GTA is running as nice as Watchdogs!

Oh dear. I think you have belabored this point long enough that I'm tempted to respond. Did you even read ElTorro's post before making a tangential argument about IQ? Did I even say anything about IQ? I actually agree with your earlier posts that the last trailer doesn't look native 1080p. But they have confirmed before that the actual game is in fact native 1080p, so I'm going to wait until Ubisoft explains why the trailer doesn't seem that way. The reason I posted here was to show how the difference in AMBIENT LIGHTING has an impact on the perceived quality of a video segment. It was a counter to that other GIF that has been doing the rounds. Not a counter to your concerns about IQ. I repeat. I am not trying to gauge IQ. Have I made myself clear? Please direct your snark elsewhere.

Other than the one car jump GIF, I don't see what everyone's complaining about. All the GIFs in the OP look great to me. It's amazing to me what passes for bad or shitty graphics to you guys. Game looks gorgeous from a visual standpoint.

zeelman

So the PS4 will eventually outperform a 5-6 year old PC?

Honestly, downgrade or not, it looks fine, I am sure that if the game ever gets a sequel and goes next gen+PC exclusive it will look miles better than the E3 2012 Demo.

This. From new footage we've recently seen of WD's it does not look that much better than GTA V and a far cry from that reveal trailer that everyone was drooling over.

Honestly, the reveal trailer didn't look that much better than GTA either. I never saw what others saw in this game.

I will not showcase E3 2012 footage here, because that PC demo was created 8 months before even Cerny droped 8GB bomb on 3rd party studios. That demo was clearly running on the beefiest PC imaginable and was only conceptually targeting unannounced nextgen consoles. If you really want to see technical details, Digital Foundry compared E3 2012 PC footage vs E3 2013 PS4 footage. Their conclusions described that PS4 come very close to PC footage, with most obvious downgrade being cheaper solution for AA, less DoF and less environmental effects [cars displacing puddles of water].

Ok, from now on the following gifs are from presentations that were either played live on "PS4" or were shown as "approximation of PS4 hardware".

20. Feb 2013 - PS Meeting - After Nate Fox description of him being hit by police tear gas and Drive Club dev's psychotic passion for car details, we got live presentation of Watch Dogs that run on PC hardware that approximated PS4. Most notable visual quirk was very apparent tearing.

ilkmzj.gif

czklhe.gif

YT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp76BUmVbnk&hd=1
Gamersyde - http://www.gamersyde.com/news_watch_dogs_commented_gameplay-13926_en.html

June 2013 - E3 2013 - Played live on Sony E3 keynote, Jonathan Blow mentioned that all PS4 demos were running on PS4 hardware [after contraversy with Xbone BF4 demo featuring PC keyboard prompts]
nduinl.gif

mzejes.gif

YT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEHwaScI6es&hd=1
Gamersyde - http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_watch_dogs_gameplay-14174_en.html

September 2013 - 14min Watch Dogs dev commentary - Released on the web. Features popups, lowres shadows, shadow popups and visible aliasing.
i2q1pEh3tXkqA.gif

halljr.gif

joxygm.gif

YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z3iG2QlJXk&hd=1
Gamersyde - http://www.gamersyde.com/news_14_minutes_of_watch_dogs-14579_en.html

March 2014 - "Downgradeaton" [Story Trailer + B-roll] - Instead of showcasing night time footage with shiny reflective surfaces or sunset scenes with nice wind effects, Ubi devs foolishly showcased many scenes that were set in daytime, with few unfortunate videos that showcased little bare environments and in one case, obviously bad looking scene of car jumping from risen bridge [E3 2012 PC vs this crappy scene] .

dtmaim.gif

mszsww.gif

iAHxbvGbhY0Mz.gif

unmccn.gif

12969743623_93c43a5216_o.gif

faclvx.gif

YT [story trailer] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiW2e1JNGG8&hd=1
YT [b-roll from all presentations, including latest] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypVI_A0nw0c&hd=1
Gamersyde [story trailer] - http://www.gamersyde.com/news_watch_dogs_day_may_27-15089_en.html

If we negate that crappy car jumping over bridge video, significant downgrade never happened. Sure PS4 is weaker than PC with 3 GPU cards, but what is presented on PS4 right now is very pretty and very playable. Assets are of very high quality, effects are numerous, city looks very populated with NPCs and cars, and game looks best in nighttime environment.

Discuss.

The problem isnt how big the downgrade is. The problem is it looks worse with every reveal

I'll never trust Ubisoft again. They used to be so good in the mid-2000's, but ever since they ruined Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six, I should just expect things like this Watch Dogs situation. *Sigh*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Been looking at the higher quality footage from 2013 and now. The more I look, the clearer it is that the lighting has been significantly downgraded. That said, the motion blur and DoF have been improved since last year.

Honestly, the reveal trailer didn't look that much better than GTA either. I never saw what others saw in this game.

This may be hyperbole to others, but yeah I would agree.
Basically, this is what I would expect a HD port of GTAV to look like, minus some effects of course. On the other hand, I doubt WD will have the scale that's possible in GTAV so it would be even less impressive.
Which makes the supposed downgrade even more weird to me, as I don't see what's so demanding. So I think the OP is more likely and it's just a few bad scenes.

This may be hyperbole to others, but yeah I would agree.
Basically, this is what I would expect a HD port of GTAV to look like, minus some effects of course. On the other hand, I doubt WD will have the scale that's possible in GTAV so it would be even less impressive.
Which makes the supposed downgrade even more weird to me, as I don't see what's so demanding. So I think the OP is more likely and it's just a few bad scenes.

Yeah, it does make the point sort of moot. I just find it silly that people continue to hold up that original trailer as some sort of gold standard when games like Infamous surpass it so easily, the original demo included. It's a lot like that CG Killzone trailer or the Final Fantasy 8 Ballroom demo. People remember it looking better than it actually looked. From the beginning this game was a cross-gen title and it shows. The graphics got attention at the time mainly on it being at the right place at the right time.

Has there been a downgrade? Maybe, but it's much more minute than people claim. Most of the disappointment stems from people misremembering how the game looked when first shown. That and for whatever reason people still seem to be impressed by glossy rain effects that makes everything shiny...... in 2014.

Watch-Dogs-3.jpg

Cue "You gotta see it in motion".

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
As a PC gamer I am embarrassed for Kinthalis, who either doesn't understand the points being made, or is choosing to ignore them and troll. We are not all like this.

Don't worry, it's just the same shitty trolling he dishes out over on the Gamespot forums. You'll get used to it eventually.

demolitio

So Watch_Dogs eh. I certainly hope Ubisoft is preparing some new gameplay footage that shows the supposedly missing elements. I mean surely they're not just going to leave it at 'don't worry, the graphics are fine'? What's the deal with that B-roll anyway? Are there other sites using it apart from that Italian one?

As a fellow PC gamer, I agree. Hell, I play on plenty of platforms and enjoy games wherever the games are even if I prefer most on PC. Other people just rather talk about their platforms superiority than play on said platform.

I think some people just want the PS4 to peak already for some selfish reason. It's like people never learn from history.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Even if you leave out the 2012 footage, there's still a haze, and a "thickness" to the game's visual atmosphere in a lot of the 2013 footage that feels completely missing from the new stuff, even comparing nighttime to nighttime scenes, much less the daylight stuff that looks completely flat and sterile. GTAV in "perfect" noon, high sun conditions still looks good, so it's no excuse to say "Well all these conditions is why the game's not as good looking."

I'm definitely not damning the game, and graphics aren't the most important aspect by any stretch, but the downgrade is real, at least going by the footage we have.
I keep repeating myself but the volumetric lighting is completely gone. It added a lot of atmosphere to the night time footage.

FeiRR

Banned
I already changed my mind once and now I'm unsure if it's poor choice of b-roll material or a significant downgrade. Downgrades in the course of development aren't anything new and happen all the time. It's easier and cheaper to cut some resource taxing effect from your renderer than to optimize it. It only becomes problematic if it's a substantial part of the visuals, like lighting technique. Did it happen here? Maybe. Judging a game by compressed footage is always problematic.

One thing I see in that new footage is somebody really fucked up the source material and either it wasn't 1080 or was overdone in processing. All that crispness of 1080 which is even, paradoxically, seen in 720p youtube videos is gone in the new footage of Watch_Dogs. Some shots look outright from the last gen version. Brightness and colour balance also seem a lot off.

What would convince me more than the footage itself that some downgrade happened is the reaction of Ubisoft's PR. Why did they ban people from Twitch chat? Why not respond to those claims right away? Why issue a statement later? There's also the thing Thuway wrote on Tweeter that they are afraid of the backlash. Is it because of the difference between the reveal and real footage (which obviously looks worse)? Why now then, not a year ago?

As a person who was born and brought up at the end of communism, I was always told not to believe media (basically TV and papers at that time) because they all lie. Almost 40 years later, nothing has changed really. Don't be naive, never trust people who want to sell you something. Maybe a bitter observation but I've found it so true.

I still want to play that game but I'll wait for GAFfers' initial impressions, streams and actual gameplay footage. Not only because of graphics but because development of this title seems to be much troubled by problems which can be reflected in the general quality of the final product. Maybe it's just PR people acting PR. Anyway, they made me change my decision from "day 1" to "wait and see". Good job, guys...

Facism

I hope we can still blackout the block like in that gif in the OP. Genuinely excited me to see the city lights go out like that.

Piggus

Oh good, the PC elitists have shown up to wave their e-dicks around.

As a PC gamer myself I'd appreciate it if you guys stopped giving PC gaming such a bad name. Thanks.

Top Bottom