• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you deal with teenagers ringing the doorbell and running away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
Tell their parents your parole officer says you can't be within 100 ft of a child, so they can't keep ring your bell.

besada

Banned
Get one of those insanely bright lights that's triggered by motion and mount a web cam above the door. Put the footage on the internet and make money. Introduce new elements over time to keep your subscribers happy. Punji sticks. Attack dogs. Automated dart guns. Pellet gun fusillade. Skunk oil sprayer.

If they're dumb enough, this could be a real money maker for you.

I'd obsess over it, losing all sense of reason. I'd write an overly long post describing my insanity in detail. I'd eventually stay up so late trying to find these kids that I would lose my job due to being late or absent from work. My social life would suffer, as I spend every weekend crouched behind trees and cars up and down my block. My wife would divorce me due to feeling neglected.

I'd begin having to hide from the police as the other neighbors have reported an unwashed, bearded lunatic, smeared in dog feces chasing their children around the neighborhood and trying to groom them as potential kidnap targets. I'd have the last laugh though when I found the child responsible and dropped him headfirst down a manhole. But I'd soon question whether this was the real culprit, and turn those children's mocking laughter into tears as I teach them a lesson one by one......

Makonero

I'd obsess over it, losing all sense of reason. I'd write an overly long post describing my insanity in detail. I'd eventually stay up so late trying to find these kids that I would lose my job due to being late or absent from work. My social life would suffer, as I spend every weekend crouched behind trees and cars up and down my block. My wife would divorce me due to feeling neglected.

I'd begin having to hide from the police as the other neighbors have reported an unwashed, bearded lunatic, smeared in dog feces chasing their children around the neighborhood and trying to groom them as potential kidnap targets. I'd have the last laugh though when I found the child responsible and dropped him headfirst down a manhole. But I'd soon question whether this was the real culprit, and turn those children's mocking laughter into tears as I teach them a lesson one by one......

Steven King novel come to life...I like it!

What about random people who call to do the door for whatever reason?

Thats the point of not opening

Im too scared of randoms. Just getting a package to the door and signing it is a pain. Im sure you understand. If I dont know the person I dont want anything to do with him or her

lednerg

My dad had fake cameras set up until he drilled a hole in my wall to put a real one up...

LHP05wp.gif

Fury451

Banned
You should start a podcast. I feel like I just listened to a new season of Serial.

Legitimately: lol

OT- I didn't know kids even did this anymore. Hide in the bushes with a water hose? More practically, if it happens around a certain time, maybe camp out by the door and throw it open when you hear it. That would probably scare them pretty good, but at the cost of your time.

Or just disconnect it for now?

They're targeting me for some reason. Not just randomly doing it to houses around the neighborhood, as far as I can tell. They may have chose my home cause the door light burnt out and it was dark until I replaced it.

OP are you Mr. Wilson?

Icefire1424

Get one of those insanely bright lights that's triggered by motion and mount a web cam above the door. Put the footage on the internet and make money. Introduce new elements over time to keep your subscribers happy. Punji sticks. Attack dogs. Automated dart guns. Pellet gun fusillade. Skunk oil sprayer.

If they're dumb enough, this could be a real money maker for you.

You've...clearly put some thought into this. I'm somewhat troubled by that fact. I'm even more troubled that it seems to be a plausible solution in many aspects.

This is simply brilliant. Either a novel or a dark comic in the works here.

KiKaL

I'd just ignore them. They are looking for a reaction, and you keep giving them that.

This is your answer. As someone who was immature once and did the same thing, we did it to get a reaction. We wouldn't return to people who did nothing but always went to the people who would chase us because it was exciting to get away.

If the person does nothing, there is no point. To them you are the crazy man that they now have stories about.

Tevious

Am I really coming off as obsessive and insane or are you just skimming through my OP, not reading the details, and being an ass?

Kids are actually TEENs. They've started fires in the woods, apparently thrown bricks at my home and others, broken into vacant homes, and were harassing my home multiple times a night with this shit. It pisses the dog off and she starts barking every time. They were getting to be predictable and I chased the two kids down to put an end to this shit once and for all by speaking with the parents. That's all.

I'm sharing cause what started as what I thought was just innocent kids playing jokes, turned into troubled teenagers harassing my home (that are capable of damage). I think the whole situation is crazy and an interesting read. I was hoping for some opinions and advice with dealing with teens like this. Maybe some speculation on this "Jay" kid.

Maybe they have GAF account?
If they did, then they now know I have cameras, I know where they live, and they can expect to get soaked if they tried.

This is your answer. As someone who was immature once and did the same thing, we did it to get a reaction. We wouldn't return to people who did nothing but always went to the people who would chase us because it was exciting to get away.

If the person does nothing, there is no point. To them you are the crazy man that they now have stories about.

As I mentioned in another post, they did it repeatedly before I chased them down. Specifically have been targeting my home, probably because of my light being burnt out and also because the dog barks.

Fury451

Banned
Edit:^ Can't go wrong with the "Leon approach". He is a professional after all.

Am I really coming off as obsessive and insane or are you just skimming through my OP, not reading the details, and being an ass?

Kids are actually TEENs. They've started fires in the woods, apparently thrown bricks at my home and others, broken into vacant homes, and were harassing my home multiple times a night with this shit. It pisses the dog off and she starts barking every time. They were getting to be predictable and I chased the two kids down to put an end to this shit once and for all by speaking with the parents. That's all.

I'm sharing cause what started as what I thought was just innocent kids playing jokes, turned into troubled teenagers harassing my home (that are capable of damage). I think the whole situation is crazy and an interesting read. I was hoping for some opinions and advice with dealing with teens like this. Maybe some speculation on this "Jay" kid.

If they are bordering on vandalism/harm, tip the police off. Call them when it happens, maybe they'll put out a car to at least check out the street in case they're doing it to others. That's a more serious situation, and should be monitored by authorities since confrontation yourself could cause serious repercussions.

Moofers

OP, it almost sounds like you're having fun with this. I think "ignore it and they'll go away" is lousy advice. That shit wouldn't fly when I was a kid, so it shouldn't fly now. That's like being one of those shit parents who refuses to tell their kid "NO".

I say go with the bright light and camera idea, then post it up to YouTube. Maybe if it takes off you'll even make a small amount of money, who knows?

I had a similar thing happen at my mother in-law's house last year. I have a 15-yr old sister in law and some punks from her school did the ding-dong ditch thing at like 10:30PM. I'm 34, my brother in law is like 25 or so, and the two of us go out there and find the kids hiding in the neighbor's yard behind some bushes. I start by making a remark about how they've got a 10-second head start to run before we beat their asses, (with no real intention of doing anything) but my brother in law gets right up on them and is tough-talking the shit out of these 15/16 yr old kids.

"You think this is fucking funny? Get the fuck up! I oughta beat your little ass! You better get the fuck out of here before I knock your teeth out!" etc.

Looking back its funny to me. Scared the piss out of those kids. I thought it was a little overkill at the time, but I'm also kind of glad he went so nuts because dammit, kids need a good scaring once in a while. Everyone is so P.C. and toothless now, I think its good somebody went a little apeshit on them. I bet they certainly didn't expect it.

Trust me, I read every word of this thread. I found it quite entertaining. But yeah you do sound pretty obsessed with your extreme detail about a childish prank.

Tevious

Trust me, I read every word of this thread. I found it quite entertaining. But yeah you do sound pretty obsessed with your extreme detail about a childish prank.

So throwing bricks at your home would be a childish prank?

The "extreme detail" is just me being thorough so I don't need to answer a bunch of questions. The whole situation is like unfolding a mystery.

Iolo

Was this thread deliberately timed to coincide with the release of Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" sequel?

Tevious

OP, it almost sounds like you're having fun with this. I think "ignore it and they'll go away" is lousy advice. That shit wouldn't fly when I was a kid, so it shouldn't fly now. That's like being one of those shit parents who refuses to tell their kid "NO".

I say go with the bright light and camera idea, then post it up to YouTube. Maybe if it takes off you'll even make a small amount of money, who knows?

I had a similar thing happen at my mother in-law's house last year. I have a 15-yr old sister in law and some punks from her school did the ding-dong ditch thing at like 10:30PM. I'm 34, my brother in law is like 25 or so, and the two of us go out there and find the kids hiding in the neighbor's yard behind some bushes. I start by making a remark about how they've got a 10-second head start to run before we beat their asses, (with no real intention of doing anything) but my brother in law gets right up on them and is tough-talking the shit out of these 15/16 yr old kids.

"You think this is fucking funny? Get the fuck up! I oughta beat your little ass! You better get the fuck out of here before I knock your teeth out!" etc.

Looking back its funny to me. Scared the piss out of those kids. I thought it was a little overkill at the time, but I'm also kind of glad he went so nuts because dammit, kids need a good scaring once in a while. Everyone is so P.C. and toothless now, I think its good somebody went a little apeshit on them. I bet they certainly didn't expect it.

I'm having fun with the idea of pranking the pranksters. I would have loved to have gotten them with the garden hose so they would think twice before starting shit with me. The kids I caught were certainly nervous as hell when I caught them. Kept calling me sir and nervously trying to make up excuses like kids do when they get caught.

Landmines.
This is what my friend suggested, lol.

RangerX

Banned
Thats the point of not opening

Im too scared of randoms. Just getting a package to the door and signing it is a pain. Im sure you understand. If I dont know the person I dont want anything to do with him or her

I understand yeah. Different strokes I guess.

Skeyser

Talk about overreacting lmao. If you just ignored them ringing your door the first few times they'd have given up. Did you actually find bricks on your roof?

Obviously if you start booby trapping your house, chasing 12 years old down the streets and complaining to every teenagers parents on the block they'll only do it more. Except instead of harmlessly getting your door rang a few times they'll bust a window with those bricks.

Buy the oldest one some beer in exchange for keeping the rest of the kids away from your house.

Real advice: ignoring it will go away, they'll get bored eventually and move on. If they do anything worse I would call the cops though.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This really is something.
Escalating further and further.
Awaiting season 2!

Tevious

Talk about overreacting lmao. If you just ignored them ringing your door the first few times they'd have given up. Did you actually find bricks on your roof?

Obviously if you start booby trapping your house, chasing 12 years old down the streets and complaining to every teenagers parents on the block they'll only do it more. Except instead of harmlessly getting your door rang a few times they'll bust a window with those bricks.

I did not find bricks on my roof. I cleaned the gutter while I was at it to check and see. Although, the bricks certainly could have rolled off the roof, as it is steep, and back into the ground where they retrieved them.

As I replied earlier, I did ignore them multiple times, I only answered the door the first time, second time I went out for a walk like 10-15 minutes later to look around, and I didn't chase them down until it was happening repeatedly the same night. Its also a bit hard to ignore them when the dog keeps barking because of it.

I'll have to update the OP, cause I'm getting this response a lot.

vikki

Have some fun with it. Put on a sweet leath smock, make your hair disheveled, and get your chainsaw. Hide across the street. When you see them going up to your house, start crossing the street and fire up the chainsaw. Chase them for a little, then let up and go home. They'll shit bricks and you'll both have a good story to tell. They may even stop ringing your bell.

If you want to take it to the next level, you could get some friends involved in helping you exact revenge. Just have your friends dress as scary clowns or in some insane S&M attire and hide in places in all directions. One you freaks start coming out of the woodwork, those kids won't know what to do.

Brandwin

Have some fun with it. Put on a sweet leath smock, make your hair disheveled, and get your chainsaw. Hide across the street. When you see them going up to your house, start crossing the street and fire up the chainsaw. Chase them for a little, then let up and go home. They'll shit bricks and you'll both have a good story to tell. They may even stop ringing your bell.

If you want to take it to the next level, you could get some friends involved in helping you exact revenge. Just have your friends dress as scary clowns or in some insane S&M attire and hide in places in all directions. One you freaks start coming out of the woodwork, those kids won't know what to do.

Do it and have someone recording it for our viewing pleasure!

AntoneM

I'd dress up as a monster and try to scare them so much that they pack up their van and leave town, with their stupid dog.

Loud stereo + gunshots soundboard + you storming out with a fake gun in hand to give chase. Sorted :)

Don't do this. Just send hidden video to the parents that you're already familiar with. Also they repeat on you because you give them a reaction, install a door video monitor and just don't react to them at all, they'll get bored quickly.

jax

Banned
Holy shit that's a long OP. Just post up above the door out the window and dump a bucket of animal blood on them next time they try it.

Install camera pointed at front door, check to see who it is when someone rings the bell. If it's a stupid kid running away don't answer the door.

If you stop giving them attention they'll eventually get bored and leave you alone. You may also want to put a sign somewhere on the porch saying "front door is being recorded at all times. Doorbell pranking will be reported to the police" or some shit, even if you're not going to go to the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom