• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's your 1-10 scale work?

Haunted

Buy it - you should buy this game
Try it - you should try this game
Skip it - you should not buy this game

Between both K-12 and college, I've got something like 17 years of education telling me that 90-100 is exemplary, 80-89 is good, and pretty much everything below that is garbage. So why am I still pretending that a 6/10 is something I'd actually be interested in.
That's pretty weird! Though major enthusiast gaming sites adhering to a scale (apparently, correct me if I'm wrong) used in American schools seems pretty symbolic. :lol

Styfic

Neo Member
Scale changes with games that sell at less than average full retail price point.

0- Games that have a season pass.
1- The GAF OT did not make me look more into the game.
2- Looked into the game would never play.
3- Playable (all FPS's stop here)
4- Game can be finished in less than 20 hours.
5- Games that can be finished in less than 40 hours.
6- Well polished game that a fan of the genre would love.
7- Game that grabs people that would not normally play that type of game.
8- Game almost everyone should play.
9- Game of the year type games.
10- A masterpiece. I would never give out a 10 till after the fact. Think of it as the hall of fame of games.

SeanTSC

1-5: Shit, would never recommend to anyone. It's a pretty harsh drop off for me.

6: Mediocre, but still really enjoyable if a high 6 depending on personal tastes for games. I put games that I love, but know aren't really "good" games here such as the Hyperdimension Neptunia series. They're not games that I would usually recommend to anyone, but they're games that I like none the less such as Time & Eternity.

7: Decent - Games in this category or higher I feel I can usually recommend to anyone, if I know what they like.
8: Good

9: Great - Games that I feel I can universally recommend to anyone regardless of knowing their tastes.
10: Nearly Perfect

I dont really have a 1-10 scale, but in my head it works like this:

- I feel drawn to that game beyond logic. Something really captivated me.
- Very interested
- interested enough to overlook the games flaws and shortcomings.
- not interested

Sometimes a revies 10 does nothing for me and the game is not interesting to me at all and sometimes a game that was reviewed really badly has me hooked. :)

3bdelilah

Banned
IGN has the best review scale in my opinion. I agree with literally every reasoning behind the scores scale.

10.0 - Masterpiece
Simply put: this is our highest recommendation. There’s no such thing as a truly perfect game, but those that earn a Masterpiece label from IGN come as close as we could reasonably hope for. These are classics in the making that we hope and expect will influence game design for years to come, as other developers learn from their shining examples.

Examples: The Last of Us, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Grand Theft Auto IV

9.0-9.9 - Amazing
We enthusiastically recommend that you add these games to your to-play list. If we call a game Amazing, that means something about it seriously impressed us, whether it’s an inspired new idea or an exceptional take on an old one. We expect to look back at it as one of the highlights of its time and genre.

Example: BioShock Infinite, The Walking Dead, Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World

8.0-8.9 - Great
These games leave us with something outstanding to remember them by, usually novel gameplay ideas for single-player or multiplayer, clever characters and writing, noteworthy graphics and sound, or some combination thereof. If we have major complaints, there are more than enough excellent qualities to cancel them out.

Example: Rock Band 3, State of Decay, NHL 13

7.0-7.9 - Good
Playing a Good game is time well spent. Could it be better? Absolutely. Maybe it lacks ambition, is too repetitive, has a few technical bumps in the road, or is too repetitive, but we came away from it happy nonetheless. We think you will, too.

Example: Resident Evil 6, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, God of War: Ascension

6.0-6.9 - Okay
These recommendations come with a boatload of “ifs.” There’s a good game in here somewhere, but in order to find it you’ll have to know where to look, and perhaps turn a blind eye to some significant drawbacks.

Example: Tom Clancy's HAWX 2, Wonderbook: Book of Spells, Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

5.0-5.9 - Mediocre
This is the kind of bland, unremarkable game we’ve mostly forgotten about a day after we finish playing. A mediocre game isn’t something you should spend your time or money on if you consider either to be precious, but they’ll pass the time if you have nothing better to do.

Example: Dust 514, Time & Eternity, Game & Wario

4.0-4.9 - Bad
For one reason or another, these games made us wish we’d never played them. Even if there’s a good idea or two in there somewhere, they’re buried under so many bad ones and poor execution we simply can’t recommend you waste your time on it.

Example: Aliens: Colonial Marines, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Dark

3.0-3.9 - Awful
You’re welcome. We just saved you from making a terrible mistake by buying this collection of poorly executed, bad, or unoriginal ideas – or even playing it for free. While even a Bad game generally has some bright spots, an Awful one is consistently unenjoyable.

Example: Samurai Warriors 3, Let’s Fish! Hooked On, Legends of Dawn

2.0-2.9 - Painful
Let’s face it: anything worse than Bad is a trainwreck. Worse than Awful? That’s kind of impressive. Not only are these games not fun, but they’re outright infuriating or insulting.

Example: Quantum Theory, Fast & Furious: Showdown

1.0-1.9 - Unbearable
The silver lining of these dark clouds is that they’re often so poorly made that they crap out after a certain point (if they ever worked at all), so we were spared from any permanent effects that playing a game this terrible might have on our brains.

Example: The Simpsons Wrestling, London Taxi Rush Hour, Elf Bowling 1 & 2

0-0.9 - Disaster
One of the worst games ever made. Games that score this low are rare, because it’s reserved for those that simply don’t work or are outright frauds – they’ve really got to work for it. This is also probably where we’d put a game about how awesome Nazis are.

Example: Extreme PaintBrawl

Gbraga

I use a 5 point scale with no half points. I find 10 points is unnecessarily, there isn't that much nuance in how I feel about a game.

1 = Shit
2 = Bad
3 = Average
4 = Good
5 = Great

In the rare instance where I feel something falls between points I usually err on the side of Sturgeon's law and round down.

Agreed.

1 is holy fuck this shit is garbage how could they ship this?
2 is a subpar game, it works, but it's not good at all
3 eeeehhhhh it's ok 9/10 IGN.com
4 shit's good omg this is definitely worth your time, try it
5 I'll make ridiculous fanboy posts when the sequel gets announced.

Jisgsaw

I could pretend that I have a true 1-10 scale but I don't. You're right OP, years of education will tell you that 70% and below is failing. And I'll agree with that. We all know it from education so why fight it now? OTOH, if you jump to a 5 point scale, or even a 10 point (0.5 - 5.0) scale, it's easy to make those distinctions without immediately jumping to a 6-10 scale. IMO, most 1-10 scales really are just 5 point scales, with all points 6 and below negated.

(Quoted this post, but could apply to many more)
Well, not everybody lives in the US and had 1-100 scale...
I studied both in France and Germany, and they both have completely different systems.
France goes from 0 to 20, and usually is pretty well used (meaning linear scale, a 12 for example is usually more than acceptable).
Germany goes from 6 to 1 (yeah they count backwards) and is a bit logarithmic, but not too much.

TL;DR scales are too culture dependant to be used universally. And I find the whole "giving a note to a game" pretty stupid anyway. A reviewer should stop at describing the game, and explain what he personaly liked and disliked.

10 = one of the classics ever made. Play it! Support this team! Make them millionaires!

9 = greatness, very few flaws, very solid overall package. Most gamers should be able to enjoy the product. doesn't need a recommendation, just play it.

8 = solid title, a few flaws that could make it a bit less enjoyable for those who center in on those flaws. Highly recommended

7 = good title, but with some flaws that will turn off some people to not liking it perhaps. but the game has an overall solid base and redeeming qualities. Recommended. Get on sale if you can't stand any product with a flaw or if the flaw is in an area you just can't stand being off a bit.

6 = flawed title with some good ideas thrown in. flawed areas in many of the major systems. can still be an enjoyable title though if you can get through the myriad of overall gameplay issues. Recommended if you can overlook the flaws.

5 = not a good product, some major flaws within the main areas of the title. flawed design / controls. overall package is just not good. Not recommended unless you really like the genre and can overlook the flaws.

4 = very poor product overall. not much is right about the game. its gameplay systems are poorly built and there is not much to enjoy. may have something here or there that may be a good idea or a good gameplay system just overshadowed by all the bad. Not recommended

3 = entering incompetent territory. nearly completely broken game, barely playable. almost nothing that can be found that is a good idea or good gameplay system. Not even on a 90% sale would it be recommended.

2 = barely worth the time to even review

1 = team that built it should be fired immediately

SigSig

1-10 is far too detailed for me.

5/5
My alltime favourites. I can always play these and have a blast. I have great memories of playing these and for some of them I played these for years.
A game can be flawless and still not reach such a place in my personal gaming olymp, or flawed, but still make it. Right now, there are ~20 games I have given a 5/5.
Examples include Metal Gear Solid, Cave Story, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, Super Mario World.

4/5
Great games I had a lot of fun with and I'd recommend to other people. These are a huge chunk of the games I play, maybe the biggest.
Examples include: Crimson Shroud, Fire Emblem, Ghost Trick, Half-Life

3/5
Enjoyable when you can overlook some flaws. I'd recommend these with caution. Can still be great fun especially for fans of the genre. Just checked and there are actually more games I rates 3/5 than games I rated 4/5.
Examples include: Project X Zone, Elite Beat Agents, Binary Domain, Watch_Dogs

2/5
Games that just didn't click with me or where the flaws outweighed the fun for me.
Wouldn't recommend these. Since I usually look into games before buying them, there are only very few that get this rating.
Examples include: Need for Speed: Underground, Theatrythm Final Fantasy, Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers, Groove Coaster

1/5
Not enjoyable at all for me, massive flaws. Often games from bundles.
Examples include: Pokémon Colosseum, Russian Dancing Men, Beat Hazard

tl;dr:
What this guy says
down_arrow.png

Rad-

I like to use this 5 point scale:

1 = Horrible: not worth playing.

2 = Decent: if you are a big fan of the genre it might be worth the try, otherwise skip.

3 = Good: Generally a well done game but still too many weaknesses to be considered anything more.

4 = Great: something so special / fun that everyone should at least try it.

5 = Masterpiece: a game that you are sure will never be bested in what it did.

acm2000

1-4 makes a good coaster
5 worth a play when cheap second hand
6 worth a play when cheap new
7 worth a play when reduced new
8 worth a play in launch window
9 worth a play day 0
10 unpossible

10: I love this game so much I cannot possibly explain to you why I like it so much. My opinion is completely biased and I cannot judge this game fairly.
9: Amazing. A memorable experience, whatever small flaws there are are not going to affect gameplay much.
7-8: Generally a good game. Has some issues that can be overlooked due to the greatest of the overall package.
5-6: Average game. Has some issues that may make some people not want to continue with the title and is only going to appeal to a small amount of other people. Probably a niche game.
2-4: Game has more problems than notable features. There's very little here to make you want to continue on with this game. Probably has one notable hook.
1: Unplayable. This game probably physically harmed me as well and I am pressing charges.

beril

1 shit
2 ok
3 good
4 great
5 fantastic

the odd thing about the 7-10 scale that many sites use is that it has the biggest range and best precision in the part of the spectrum that no one cares about. why would you need 1-6 to differentiate different kinds of turds?

1 - Bad
5 - Average. Flawed, maybe with some redeeming features that make it enjoyable.
9 - Great / Masterpiece / potential GOTY
10 - Super Mario 3

I tend to adhere to two principles : 1/ trying to use the whole scale (don't be afraid to use those 1-4 numbers) 2/ but the 10 note should be given as sparsely as possible; there is no perfection in this world.

None. I'd rather write an informative review and let the consumer gauge the content. I will however point out if there are gameplay mechanics/bugs and other flaws to light as much as possible.

Setsuna

1-Dont play even if they were paying you to play
2-Dont play even if they were giving it away for free
3-Dont play
4-Play for free
5-Play for a small fee
6-Play
7-Play
8-Play
9-pay reduce price
10-Pay full price

10 - Close to perfection as it gets. Simply a masterpiece. Stunning. Flawless. One of the best, if not the best of all time.
9 - Amazing. Must play, must own. Rarely gets better than this gem.
8 - Excellent game. Highly recommended. Very few flaws.
7 - Very good game. Definitely worth checking out despite a few paltry issues.
6 - Solid. Above average. Pretty good. Probably worth investigating if you are curious.
5 - Average. Not great, but not too bad either. Just average. Maybe worth a rental?
4 - Mediocre. Below average. Not a good game. Not terrible, but close to it.
3 - Bad. Game is borderline trash. Not recommended. Might be able to fins some enjoyment her and there, but highly unlikely.
2 - Awful. Please do not touch or play this game with a 40 foot pool. Too many issues and flaws. Why did they release this?
1 - Broken mess. Repulsive. Game is literally unplayable and needs to go back to the developers and started over again.

Sande

I like this, mostly. Avarage games though... not very good (way more bad games than good out there). I would simply switch mediocre and avarage.

5 - Mediocre - not good, not bad.

4 - Avarage - more bad than good.

3 - Bad.
This is interesting. Mediocre and average. Aren't they basically synonyms? To me, mediocre has a more negative connotation than average. I feel that it's often used to describe how not good something is. Anyway, I wouldn't use both of them in a review scale, just like I wouldn't use 8 - awesome, 9 - amazing. Any difference there is is arbitrary and varies from person to person.

Chille

0-3 so bad, game glitchs alot, almost unplayable will buy when cheap for shits and giggles
4-6 average, will skip
6-9 good games with flaws but entertaining and worth the money
10 doesn't exist every game has flaws

That is my personal scale.

0- Can't be completed.

1- Hot trash.

2- Terrible.

3- Awful

4- Bad

5- Mediocre

6- Fine

7- Good

8- Great

9- Amazing

10- Best of the best

Most games score around 6 to 7 for me, but I give more 10's than the average person. This year alone for me had Fire Emblem: Awakening, Smash 3DS/WiiU, and Minecraft.

Kilau

I'm with the others that don't use or like number scores. I prefer the Siskel & Ebert thumbs up or down style.

It's a yes or a no, but I can be enthusiastic about it one way or another.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm seeing the word 'average' pop up here a lot, and it raises a huge issue with rating systems in general. No matter what number you assign to 'average', be it a 5 or a 7 etc, the question is... The 'average' of what?

Are you averaging all the games that you personally played? All the games you've played in a given genre? Your perception of all released games in a given year? No one can play all released games, that much is obvious. So what does 'average' really mean?

I agree. "Average" probably should be assigned to the 8 out of 10, really. Instead of "average," people should use "mediocre" or "mixed quality" or something to that effect.

I like the four-star scale that's often used in film. Four stars for great, three stars for pretty good, two stars for mediocre and one star for bad. Gets the point across more than a 10-point scale with decimals.

DevilFox

10 - it's a 9 but it's also a mature game by my definition or even my instinct.
9 - every element of the game blends perfectly (or almost) with the others. There's no need for innovation or perfection, what's important is that the final result is actually outstanding. The gameplay is solid, not repetitive and definitely not flat. No notable flaws.
8 - Absolutely great, solid on every component, few flaws.
7 - A solid game, the overall is good enough but I feel it lacks something. Quite a number of flaws that can't be ignored. Not much effort on "side elements" (writing, acting..).
6 - Decent game but there's nothing that shines. Flaws start to be a substantial part of the experience, it's probably repetitive and not much can be saved outside of the gameplay.
5 - Like 6 but nothing can be saved outside of the gameplay this time. Gameplay itself is particularly flat, repetitive or boring or whatever. Chance of bugs.
4 - Bugs. The game itself isn't good and there are also bugs.
3 - A pain to play. Boring, full of bugs, a game out of its time.
2 - Big Rigs.
1 - worst than Big Rigs, still to be made I hope.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I run on a 1-9 scale. From lowest to highest:

Abysmal: Something I just cannot enjoy or find any redeeming qualities in.
Terrible: It's pretty bad and not really enjoyable, but not quite abysmal and not offensively bad.
Bad: It's a bad game, there might be a few sort of redeeming elements, but not enough to stop the game from being bad.
Meh: Not quite bad, not quite okay, just kind of meh. It's playable and there's a little something to pull from the game, but not something I'd recommend.
Okay: Game is okay, has redeeming qualities and elements to elevate it, but also is dragged down by its problems.
Enjoyable: A game that is bogged down by many problems, but regardless, I found it an enjoyable game that was better than the sum of its problems.
Good: The game's good, maybe a few problems, but the majority of it is pretty good and a solid game for what it is.
Great: A game that is very well done with very few, if any, problems and makes a great game that's easy to recommend.
Amazing: Games that are top of their class and among the best of the best, in my eyes. Either because of how well executed they are, or if they are far greater games that go beyond the few flaws they may have.

I, however, do have two other side-ratings.

Dull: The worst thing a game can be for me, a abysmal game is bad, but the worst a game could be for me is dull. Its in this case I can't rate it fairly because I literally get bored when playing it, even if I recognize it's not exactly bad.
Impacting: Games that have some sort of impact on me for some reason, so I cannot evaluate them fairly as they hold a special place close to my heart, even if I acknowledge they have flaws.

Kntj

I just use a 1 to 3 skulls scale.
1 skull is not worth playing, 2 skulls is worth playing if there is interest in that type of game, 3 skulls is a very good game and goty contender. At least 95% of games are worth 2/3 skulls.

On a 1 to 10 scale I usually end up using 7-10, because that's how I'm used to reading from reviews. Lower than that doesn't matter.

Linkyn

• 8-10 Buy it. It may not be your genre, it may not be your franchise, but it's going to be remembered. Decades from now, this is a game you'll be proud to have in your collection.
  • 6-7 Good, but not great. You can definitely get some enjoyment out of these, but you should keep your expectations in check. Something that's worth buying if there's nothing better out at the moment.
  • 4-5 Limited utility. Either consistent gameplay flaws that make potentially good mechanics incredibly frustrating, or an annoying barrage of bugs. You can find love for these games, but it takes some effort.
  • 0-3 Out of the question. Borderline unplayable, lazy design, boring gameplay. The kind of game you may accidentally stumble upon and later curse yourself for buying. These may also be remembered (if they're lucky), but for all the wrong reasons.

I rate games like I rate everything in life. On a 3 point D.H.J. scale (disinterested hand job)
So a game would either be below, on par, or better than a dhj.

yeah if I did actually review I would do it the old way and rate each individual section of the game and then give an overall score. Graphics, Audio, Music, Gameplay, Replayability, etc.

1 Does not work or is just annoyibly bad
2 Very bad
3 Bad game
4 Boring game, doesnt offer really any much interesting
5 Has some good things but overall didn't like it
6 Decent game, on overall positive experience but definitely not a "must-have"
7 Pretty good game
8 Very good game
9 Excellent game
10 Awesome game

And it goes up to eleven for the few games i love from the bottom of my heart.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
8-10: worth getting
7: I'll consider it
6: I'll take a chance on a used copy if I really like the concept

Anything else isn't even considered.

Top Bottom