• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's your 1-10 scale work?

woopWOOP

I also treat it like a school grading system... which in my country also goes from 1 to 10. A 1 being worthless, a 5,5 being barely sufficient and a 10 being spotless.

So basically like IGN's rating system 3bdelilah posted last page.

Leiru

1. Unplayable
2. Garbage
3.terrible
4.bad
5.average
6.okay
7.good
8.very good
9.excellent
10.master piece
Wonderful 101. Wonderful 101

That's my list from 1 to wonderful 101

nkarafo

I prefer the 1-5 scale.

1 - Complete waste of time.
2 - Mostly a waste of time but there might be a nice soundtrack or good art direction in there.
3 - Worth as a rental. A possible buy if i can find it cheap (5$ or under) and i don't have a backlog.
4 - A very good game with some annoying flaws. I'd probably buy it at 20-30$.
5 - Great game or a classic. Day 1. I'd pay 60$ for it. If it's cheaper there is no excuse not having it.

Zukuu

Banned
Taking my anime list, my mean score is 5.8. And it's heavily skewed towards 6 because I only watch series that interest me from the plot, setting or characters, so it's already pre-selected. Same for games. 10 is a 'must-play' kinda thing, 9 is 'GREAT and 8 is 'VERY GOOD'. 7 is 'GOOD', 6 is 'FINE', 5 is 'AVERAGE'. 4 to 1 is 'MEH' to 'BAD' to 'TERRIBLE' to 'avoid at all cost'.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
I treat it as the school grade scale.

9+ - A
8+ - B
7+ - C
6+ - D
5 or below - F

So anything below a 7 is iffy for me. Not that I wouldn't try anyways.

This is what I do, cept when I was in school, a 60 was an F

No games really get scores in the 10's, 20's 30's 40's so if your game ends up down there... man you really know it's bad. By this logic, you can kinda see where saying a 50 is average makes little sense. The word 'average' can mean 'good' to some people, and I think that's the root of review score discrepancy. Sorta like "Most games are average, so this one is as good as the rest of em". You're then saying that a 6 is better than average. Technically, yea, but I can't bring myself to think that a 6 is good score. It's still an F.

Games in the 50's 60's you can kinda take a chance on depending on your taste. 10-60 = varying degrees of garbage. 70 = average, 80 = good, 90 = great or excellent 10 = the best of its kind, or transcending in some form/hits that special personal place in your heart.

To be fair, I have played games with low review scores, and enjoyed them. It's not a regular occurrence, though.

To add, a 5 is simply the average number between 1-10 itself, that doesn't mean it's the average score of a game, with varying factors weighing into the decision. Someone would need to calculate the scores of all video games ever created to find the average score and create a non disputable rating scale... For example, the highest score you can get in bowling is a 300, but if you take the personal scores of 1 bowler, or even tried to find the scores of all bowlers in a tournament, or season, you'll prob find that the average score is not exactly 150. That's just simply the average number.

It's basically all about perspective on what you think the word 'Average' means.

ironcreed

Banned
5SnhWWo.png

LOL, the truth.

Anyway, for me it's more like:

1.0 - 4.0: Poor and broken to poor and borderline broken.

5.0 - 7.0: mediocre to pretty good, but not without a few warts.

8.0 - 10: Anywhere from great to astounding in this range.

EGM1966

I don't tend to think in scales but if I fid it would be:
1- cold congealed garbage
2 - hot garbage
3 - poor game in every area
4 - below average
5 - average in every way
6 - solid example of genre but little to differentiate it
7 - good game for genre with some interesting elements
8 - great game for genre and decently differentiated
9 - terrific game and shining example of the medium
10 - genre defining or genre defying work of brilliance. Originality and soul be here.

1 - 6 = Avoid like the plague unless it's something unique that i might find interesting.

7 = Average

8 = Great

9 = Amazing

9.5 = Mario 64

10 = No such thing

I use the 8-10 scale I guess, but I don't review games with numbers at all really. All I know is that if a game gets under an 8 I'm not really interested.

1 - Terrible
2 - Awful
3 - Bad
4 - Below Average
5 - Average
6 - Above Average
7 - Good
8 - Very Good
9 - Excellent
10 - Perfect

Once you go 3 and below it's all kind of the same and likewise once you hit 8 and 9 you are again dealing in the same ball park but 10 should pretty much never be given out as no game can be perfect if you score for everyone BUT if you score against similar games in a genre then a 10 is okay.

Its all meaningless really though as if you like a game you like a game. I think Far Cry 2 is the best Far Cry game but others would say nope. I think Mass Effect is the best Mass Effect game and again others would say nope. I would give those games higher scores than their sequels and would I be wrong? Of course not because its a personal matter.

Noobcraft

1-6 = awful at worst and poor at best.
7 = Average. Competent but nothing great.
8 = Good.
9 = Excellent
10= Masterpiece, Oot levels of epic. None of the 10's last gen did that for me tbh.

I prefer a 1 to 5 scale with no .5s like Giant Bomb's but 1-10 scale is used by pretty much every other site so I'm kinda forced to think with it.

The way i see it:
1-5: Not buying
6-10: I'll probably buy it

Easy enough.

KePoW

Banned
7 is an average & decent game. Possibly worth buying depending if you like the genre/graphics

6 is starting to get into very shaky territory

5 and below is no go

Sanctuary

1-5 is trash. I look at it from a "grade" point of view. 50% is never a passing grade.

6 D
7 C < the point where I will consider a game if I am a fan of the genre.
8 B
9 A
10 A+, but in almost all cases no game deserves the 10 it receives.

0 U-Play-able
1 Kane
2 Lynch
3 the Drake of games
4 Spent a lot on focus testing
5 Average
6 Fun but price wrong/not localized
7 Good
8 Great
9 Could only be better if it had a FreeCell mini game
10 Doesnt exist unlike The Last Guardian

10 - Masterpiece

9 - Excellent

8 - Great

7 - Solid, has some flaws

6 - Good concept, not so good execution

5 - Mediocre with flaws

4 - Bad

3 - Super Bad

2 - Worse

1 - Worst

0 - M. Night Shyamalan Approved

Cleve

I'm always a little surprised when people assign multiple rating tiers to varying levels of non-operation.

If the shit doesn't work, it doesn't get a rating. It shouldn't be a 2 or a 3 because it's less slightly less broken than a 0.

That said, if I have to scale something I think you can express everything you need on a 5 pt.

1 - Bad game, little to no redeeming value.
2 - Some mechanic or charm that's interesting, but not enough to make the experience worthwhile.
3 - an unexceptional game, either one that feels it was made by the numbers, or has some really cool ideas, but the execution just holds it back from being engrossing
4 - a genuinely fun game that you enjoy, but has sloppy presentation, some flawed execution, or anything that pulls you out of the immersion
5 - excellent tier of games, few and far between, while it's possible to have flaws, the pros grossly outweigh the cons. this is a game I find hard to pull myself away from

if you insist on using a 10pt scale just double all of my values and pretend there's a tier between each one.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
0. Most games that piss me off on an emotional level rather than objective quality get this. Bioshock Infinite, Nier and most Bioware games go here.
1. Nearly unused. Goes to broken messes that I like when they aren't broken. Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
2. Mechanical shite, with some glitches. Battlefield 4 goes here.
3. Mechanical shite, but technically solid. Tomb Raider Reboot and recent Final Fantasg releases go here.
4. Distinctly mediocre. Far Cry 4 goes here.
5. Average. As many cons as there are pros. Lego games go here.
6. Good. Most games that leave a good impression get this. Advanced Warfare for example.
7. Suprisingly good. Telltale has a habit of making games that are this. Black Flag also goes here.
8. Very rarely does a game truly impress me. GTA V and TloU go here.
9. Games that I will remember for a long time go here. Persona 4 Golden and Demon's Souls for example.
10. Unused. No game is perfect.

0 - Unplayable. Nothing to see here, move along.

1 - The game will function to the bare mimimum standard and little more.

2 - Not fun, the game's design throughout is poor and its mechanics are hopelessly broken.

3 - The game is competently made, it just happens to not be enjoyable in any way.

4 - Below average. The game could actually be okay but certain unavoidable aspects pull it into shit-tier territory.

5 - Average. Not particularly good. Not particularly bad. Just there. You can play it just fine, maybe even finish it, but it's not especially memorable.

6 - Above average. There's something compelling here, but the overall quality just isn't as sharp as it could be.

7 - The game is enjoyable and performs well. It's not top-quality but you could recommend it.

8 - Solid all around. A few issues that may prevent it from being considered best-in-class, but worthy of your attention.

9 - As astounding game that is extremely fun, beautiful to look at, pushes the boundaries and leaves a lasting impression on all who play it.

10 - Definitive titles that encapsulate the medium as a whole. A must-play for everyone.

EhoaVash

my scale

1-6 SHITTY

7= Passable

8 = okay - rent

9 - its Good

9.5 + above = its Great, GOTY

Only exception to this rule is Nintendo games. Mario ( 3D ones ) and zelda games always be 9.5 and above for me. and other ninty games too.

The Beard

Everyone is putting average for 5. What does average even mean in this context ? If 4 is a certified turd, how can 5 be average?

This is why a 10 point scale is stupid. If you insist on a point scale, 5 point makes much more sense IMO.

If no one uses 1-5, then why have it on the scale ?

dralla

10 point scales are outdated and archaic and make absolutely no sense. What's the point of having 5 separate numbers for a bad game? Why differentiate a "2" from a "3, if you're not going to recommend either to the reader. 5 point scales make a lot more sense if you're going to use a numbered system at all. And it seems like websites that use the 10 point scale treat it more like a 5 point scale anyway.

ghibli99

Like some others, I equate numbers to a school grading scale, so:

6.5 = D
7.5 = C
8.5 = B
9.5 = A

7.9 = C+, 8.1 = B-, 9.9 = A+, etc.

I try to utilize the entire scale.

I don't even like saying 3=terrible, 4=bad, because even a game of 3 or 4 may have some excellent quality about it.

Arcayne

1: Haha...wtf is this shit.. (ex. most Korean RPGs/MMOs aka grinding is fun right?! RIGHT?! or many mobile games)
2: Seriously? (ex. FFXIII-2)
3: This sucks, but I'm slightly entertained (ex. .//hack.G.U)
4: Eh, I mean, well, nah...sucks (ex. probably RE5)
5: It's bad that its good (ex. DmC)
6: Okay (ex. TLoU)
7: I like it (ex. FF8)
8: Pretty damn fun, I like it alot (ex. DMC3, Bayonetta)
9: DAAAAAMNN (ex. WoW, RE4)
10: /ded (ex. FFTactics, Dark Souls)

There's really no point to having varying degrees of bad. Once you reach the "not worth playing" point, then it's really only worth distinguishing the boring and uninspired from the broken and unplayable.

There's really no point to having varying degrees of bad. Once you reach the "not worth playing" point, then it's really only worth distinguishing the boring and uninspired from the broken and unplayable.

Agreed, but no sense in throwing out the rest of the Scale.

If your scale is basically BAD + 7-10 scale why not use a 5 star rating system, where 1 is don't touch it, and 2-5 can all be fun and playable to some extent?

I use a 5 point scale with no half points. I find 10 points is unnecessarily, there isn't that much nuance in how I feel about a game.

1 = Shit
2 = Bad
3 = Average
4 = Good
5 = Great

In the rare instance where I feel something falls between points I usually err on the side of Sturgeon's law and round down.

this

10 point scale is superfluous

Top Bottom