• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickVic

I keep getting tempted by this deal. I figure this rig should do me a lot of good for at least 2 years. My concern is beyond that (once the 980 ti ages out) my understanding is this particular rig isn't that convenient to upgrade down the line? So essentially once this becomes outdated I'm more or less looking a buying a complete new system again at that point?

This still sounds like a great deal for a complete system with a 980 ti, just concerned when its time to upgrade what to do with this outside trying to sell the whole thing.

The 980ti is probably nvidia branded because they have oem deals with Dell and HP. Here's what the inside of one of these looks like for anyone curious

2.jpg

Not sure if this is exactly what this new deal will look like but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

Ha, so that's how they manage to fit it into the compact form factor. For those who don't realize it just by looking at it, the entire system is mounted upside-down from the standard orientation in a regular case. Well, the word 'GeForce' being upside-down should be a dead giveaway if you don't notice anything else.

Those are some pretty tiny fans on the CPU and exhaust, and the GPU is a reference cooler. 980 Ti reference coolers aren't great or anything, they can manage stock clocks and not much else.

As OEM pre-built machines go, it looks pretty clean inside and it even has a bracket to make sure the GPU is held up well. It probably doesn't have a lot of thermal headroom but if you're not OCing I'm not seeing any egregious flaws in it's layout.

I keep getting tempted by this deal. I figure this rig should do me a lot of good for at least 2 years. My concern is beyond that (once the 980 ti ages out) my understanding is this particular rig isn't that convenient to upgrade down the line? So essentially once this becomes outdated I'm more or less looking a buying a complete new system again at that point?

This still sounds like a great deal for a complete system with a 980 ti, just concerned when its time to upgrade what to do with this outside trying to sell the whole thing.

I thought about the same thing but 2 years from now when a 980 ti not enough I figured I would just case swap and run the 980 in Sli.

For those curious, the inside of my machine looks identical to the pictures above. I added a 2TB SSHD to accompany the 256SSD boot it came with. Not a terrible process and everything is performing well.

bee

the GPU is a reference cooler. 980 Ti reference coolers aren't great or anything, they can manage stock clocks and not much else.

this isn't anywhere close to being true, it's the same cooler as a titan x and they easily handle a +250 core +500 mem overclock on those

You probably wouldn't want a non-reference cooler in that case anyway. It's tight and the airflow doesn't look great. For the sake of the rest of the system, a blower cooler is best.

BriGuy

I felt all kinds of shitty for letting this pass the last time around, so I jumped on. I imagine this should run most games at 1080p and decent settings for a few years at least, right?

I felt all kinds of shitty for letting this pass the last time around, so I jumped on. I imagine this should run most games at 1080p and decent settings for a few years at least, right?

I'm a noob to this stuff but I have been running HoTS on 1440p High at 144hz. Ran CsGo maxed at 144hz. Rocket league maxed at 80hz (I turned on a frame limiter just to keep it cooler. It ran maxeed at 144hz as well.)

I bought the XB270 IPS model and I have to say it's a new world of computing. I don't know if you'd get the same effect from a 1440p 60 hz monitor, but it's a really fun gadget to have.

Nipo

Glad to see more people jumping in on this. I got mine back in December and it has been working great. It is nice that you can just use the PS4 controller too.

I'm torn on this. I've always enjoyed building my own PCs and I have been waiting for Pascal to build another, but the value is undeniable for this thing.

Got mine. It's pretty great for 1080p gaming, but maybe just a step below where we need to be for 4K. I can run Rise of the Tomb Raider at 4K 30hz on my 4K TV with all the options cranked all the way up (except I'm only using double buffering and FXAA) and it's fine, frame rate seems playable if not silky. But if I set it to the 60hz mode I get a display driver has stopped working and recovered error and crash on load. At one point a troubleshooter said I may not have enough resources, but I don't know if that's it. Any ideas?

For those curious, the inside of my machine looks identical to the pictures above. I added a 2TB SSHD to accompany the 256SSD boot it came with. Not a terrible process and everything is performing well.

I'm looking to add an SSD too, which is going to be extremely difficult as I've never done anything like this. I just hope I don't mess anything up. Question:

Once I add another SSD (I got mine prebuilt with a 256gb SSD), will I need to download anything on the newly installed SSD? Or will my computer continue to boot the same and I can just save my games onto the additional drive?

I'm looking to add an SSD too, which is going to be extremely difficult as I've never done anything like this. I just hope I don't mess anything up. Question:

Once I add another SSD (I got mine prebuilt with a 256gb SSD), will I need to download anything on the newly installed SSD? Or will my computer continue to boot the same and I can just save my games onto the additional drive?

You will likely need to run some software to format the drive before you can use it. I downloaded a program off of the Seagate website. Also, to clarify, I added a Hybrid drive (SSHD) not a second SSD. You can get a good 2TB SSHD for around $100. Much more cost effective that way. I'd suggest keeping windows on the SSD, as that's where you get the most performance boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom