• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

HPMDS30 new coupon

edit7: 05.06. it's back

edit6: 05.03. coupon expired again

edit5: 04.21. deal is back. It now also has a 600W PSU option (edit: 04.22. seems to be gone).

edit4: 04.16. coupon expired

edit3: 04.09. it's $60 cheaper atm

edit2: 04.05.

fyi - the 980Ti option is back in stock and the coupon code has been extended.

edit: the 980Ti is not an option anymore

credits to MBison for finding it

main page for the 750se: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/desktops/hp-envy-750se-desktop-n3g97av-aba-1
customization page: http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1029657&quantity=1

coupon is spring2016

US only.

The coupon code is for 30% off any custom PC over $1199 or more.

Some people in the other thread have been getting theirs this week and impressions are good.

No idea how long the coupon will last. Or how long till the 980Ti stops being an option again. The VR subreddits have yet to notice this, so that's less contention until then :p

Oh man if I didn't already have a great PC. The only thing that needs upgrading is my GPU. But my 970 will hold me over for now.

Vex_

Banned
Man.... I might just buy it just because HOLY SHIT the deal! Can anyone who bought during the other deal confirm the mobo in this shit?!!?????!!??!!!!!?!!?!!1one1wun

Man.... I might just buy it just because HOLY SHIT the deal! Can anyone who bought during the other deal confirm the mobo in this shit?!!?????!!??!!!!!?!!?!!1one1wun

If you're asking if the CPU can be OC'ed, of course not LOL.

The GPU can be OC'ed in software using MSI Afterburner or something but apparently the ventilation in these cases isn't the best and you are hitting thermal throttling at stock clocks anyways.

If you ripped the guts out of this thing and rebuilt it into a bigger, nicer case, you might get a pretty good GPU OC out of it.

Damnit. I missed this deal last time and since then I blew all my money on women and drink. Doubt this will be around next payday.

Isn't that what credit cards are for?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Damnit. I missed this deal last time and since then I blew all my money on women and drink. Doubt this will be around next payday.

Vex_

Banned
If you're asking if the CPU can be OC'ed, of course not LOL.

The GPU can be OC'ed in software using MSI Afterburner or something but apparently the ventilation in these cases isn't the best and you are hitting thermal throttling at stock clocks anyways.

If you ripped the guts out of this thing and rebuilt it into a bigger, nicer case, you might get a pretty good GPU OC out of it.

Isn't that what credit cards are for?

They have an option for the 6700k don't they?

Mobo is some custom stuff including the PSU. No one in the previous thread really talked about them.

Yeah, there's a K option, but with this PSU, the small case and potentially not so great venting it's probably not advised to OC it.

I'm not going to bet money that HP's motherboard will allow it, but someone who owns it and has the K upgrade could try running Intel XTU on it and see if it lets them OC it. The PSU is only 500W and there's already a 980 Ti as well, I'm not real sure when the PSU gives up the ghost if you actually push it.

That said, the tiny-ass CPU heatsink and exhaust fans in this thing aren't giving me a lot of optimism there is any OC headroom. You should see the gigantic-ass heatsinks the people who really OC their CPUs strap on the motherboards in their self-built PCs in the 'I need a new PC!' thread.

BHK3

Banned
I bought this but got a 970, got talked out of the ti. Building one seperatly right at this moment I found to be more expensive by almost $200, plus this will come pre built and I HATE building PCs.

SlickVic

I posted this in the other thread, but once the card is outdated, is it true this system isn't really designed to be very upgradeable? So once the 980 ti reaches the end of its lifespan, I'm essentially looking at buying another prebuilt or building a custom rig from scratch? Not sure how much I could sell this for in about 3 years time. I guess I also don't know how much cash would be saved by incrementally updating a custom rig over time by comparison.

Stall19

I posted this in the other thread, but once the card is outdated, is it true this system isn't really designed to be very upgradeable? So once the 980 ti reaches the end of its lifespan, I'm essentially looking at buying another prebuilt or building a custom rig from scratch? Not sure how much I could sell this for in about 3 years time. I guess I also don't know how much cash would be saved by incrementally updating a custom rig over time by comparison.

Why would you have to build it from scratch? All the other parts still work. Pretty sure you can switch stuff in and out.

The only valid use case for multi-GPU like SLI is to buy 2 of the top-end cards at once if you're a super-enthusiast. Otherwise you never use SLI, never ever.

By the time you're thinking about buying a second 980 Ti to put in SLI for more performance, there will be a single GPU that matches or outperforms the SLI setup and offer better game experiences because multi-GPU is inherently kludgey and only rarely offer twice the performance of a single GPU with minimal bugs.

Also with DX12 games seeming to support AMD-style asynchronous compute more often than not, the DX11-optimized Maxwell architecture will be more and more of a liability and you'll want to upgrade to a more modern Nvidia card rather than try to extend the life of Maxwell.

Exquisik

The next time this deal comes around, you will be blowing all your money on women and drink again. Rinse and repeat.

On a serious note though, HP has deal like this almost every other month, the only problem is the limited availability of the 980 ti. The next time this deal comes around, you might not be able to purchase one with the 980 ti.

nOoblet16

The RAM, cooling, mobo,case and PSU are probably shit, in which case this isn't really "that" good of a deal if you think about it.

nOoblet16

Nope, everything is fine.
You just ordered the machine 2 hours ago, how can you even confirm that my doubt is wrong...I have no idea. Fine as in works ? Yea sure.

But the thing does have below average build quality, even the 980Ti is reference design, if HP propertiary motherboards really were great then they'd sell them separately but they don't. You cannot overclock this machine and you will have issues upgrading the motherboard in the future.

I had a look at the deal and they were charging an extra $300 (on top of whatever you pay) for 32GB of RAM that isn't even that high a frequency.

You just ordered the machine 2 hours ago, how can you even confirm that my doubt is wrong...I have no idea. Fine as in works ? Yea sure.

But the thing does have below average build quality, even the 980Ti is reference design, if HP propertiary motherboards really were great then they'd sell them separately but they don't. You cannot overclock this machine and you will have issues upgrading the motherboard in the future.

I had a look at the deal and they were charging an extra $300 (on top of whatever you pay) for 32GB of RAM that isn't even that high a frequency.

Pardon? I bought mine in February so I can definitely comment far better on this than you can, agree?

The build quality is fine. I'm not even sure why you suggest it might not be. It's structurally solid and sound, with no balance issues, shakes or rattles. All of the internals are sturdy with multiple mounts to ensure further rigidity. The GPU isn't giving me any OC issues, but it had a pretty high ASIC score. I'm sure you can get higher performance from a non-reference design or by putting it under water. I don't think you can do so at this price, however. The mobo is limited in internal expansion opportunities but is showing no problems and I can OC the CPU in the bios if I want to. I've never felt compelled to upgrade a mobo with the same CPU so if that's important to you, you should certainly spend more elsewhere and be more satisfied. Or you can just plan to get a new mobo several years down the road and move your internals over to that and a bigger case. The PSU is well regarded as discussed in the other thread and more than capable. I've done some stress testing and have added a total of 4 drives internally and an additional PCI-E card. PSU is perfectly suited to the task thus far.

And who the fuck buys max memory from an OEM? I ordered my 32GB of Ballsix Sport for $150.

So yea...I must say that I really don't give a single fuck if you're interested in the computer or not. My main concern was addressing your broad swings of FUD. Computer is quite solid so far. If you're in the market and can do better for $1200, you should do so, impress everyone and feel great you did. If you can't...well...callers are standing by to take your order.

This is not the computer to buy if your goal is to put everything under water and add radiators. the board won't support your SLI/Crossfire config. It also doesn't have an optical audio jack which disappointed me. Oh and it's also pretty quiet though it does get warmer on the inside than a bigger box would.

I'm not sure how they are able to sell these at this price on a regular basis. If there is any profit margin here for HP it has to be razor thin. The price is really unbeatable for what you are getting.

Also for the case, reference design GPUs are probably best anyway. The cases are small and the airflow doesn't seem great so pumping the GPU heat out of the case is better for the whole machine.

Again i7 6700K upgrade is worth considering, not for the unlocked multiplier, I wouldn't really consider OCing, even if it is possible with the MB, with the lack of PSU head room and cooling in the tight case but for $70, you get a 600 Mhz base clock boost from 3.4 Ghz to 4.0 Ghz, which is not insignificant.

I bought one. I have it in the box still. For such a small thing it comes in an insanely huge box. Waiting for a desk/chair and monitor right now so it'll have to remain inside.

Genio88

If i hadn't already a beast PC i could bite at that, even though if the rumored specs of Pascal X80 GPUs are real, perhaps it'd be clever to wait before spending all that money on a GTX 900 series

Quonny

I keep going back and forth on this.

On one hand, it seems we're on the cusp of a GPU breakthrough. On the other hand, this is a good deal and I would like to upgrade my PC.

grah

I keep going back and forth on this.

On one hand, it seems we're on the cusp of a GPU breakthrough. On the other hand, this is a good deal and I would like to upgrade my PC.

grah

Saaaaame. That and I've never built a computer before, so I think it'd be a good experience.

I mean this is like 6th time they've had this deal in about as many months, so I can always wait for next time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The RAM, cooling, mobo,case and PSU are probably shit, in which case this isn't really "that" good of a deal if you think about it.
As much as I dislike HP laptops and older desktop, no.
RAM is generic OEM, everything has lifetime warranty and runs at rated
PSUs are all 80+ now
Case and Cooling doesn't really matter, CPUS use nothing and it's a 980Ti in a case not a 390.
Mobo sure maybe, but everything has solid caps now it's more software bugs and it being HP.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want to buy this, gut the GPU, and sell it with a 4GB GTX 770 for ~$800. Takers?

I'm reluctant because pascal

Elitist1945

Quick question from someone who's an idiot when it comes to computer parts: on the box for my 980ti it says minimum 600W power supply, so I'm confused at the 500W in this PC?

IzzyF3

Lots of people saying this deal always come back around. So... waiting for something like 1080Ti and getting it for this price soon after it comes out isn't farfetched then?

I think I'll wait.

Top Bottom