• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceCLea

Banned
I have the 980ti gpu. Two questions:

I have no idea how to build a PC and transfer it into a new case, so running games in 1080p on Ultra settings won't cause a heat problem will it?

Also, I'm using my 4k tv as a monitor. Should I keep it in "gaming mode" so input lag is low or do I have to change it to PC mode?

CHC

I have the 980ti gpu. Two questions:

I have no idea how to build a PC and transfer it into a new case, so running games in 1080p on Ultra settings won't cause a heat problem will it?

Also, I'm using my 4k tv as a monitor. Should I keep it in "gaming mode" so input lag is low or do I have to change it to PC mode?

Heat dispersion depends on what kind of fan is on the GPU. If it's a blower (looks like this), then it pumps heat out of the back of the case. You'll be fine in even the tiniest case as long as nothing is right behind the PC. If it's a top-fan system (like this) then it blows heat up and away from the GPU. You'll need a slightly larger case and nothing right over the GPU. Heat is not that big a deal though, just use your head and make sure your PC is not giving off hairdryer levels of heat. The things I mentioned are just common sense guidelines, don't worry too much about heat unless you're overclocking heavily or something.

And as for the TV, keep it in whatever mode looks better to you. PC mode will probably be more text-friendly, so I might go for that unless you're really using it ONLY for gaming.

Oh, in that case, you probably will need a new PSU.

You can input your components and overclock values in this calculator:

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

edit: I assumed a little more than I should have- that you had the 980ti. If you have the 970, power requirements are lower.

Thanks for the reply. I did select the 980ti and the 6700k model. That website was helpful, and confirmed my suspicion that the PSU included is going to limit me from any OC. I'd be looking to upgrade to a 600-650w option if i do a case swap, and maybe add more fans while I'm at it.

When I punched things into that website, it seemed like 500w was just about on line with what the machine draws, so yeah, any overclocking will likely need a new PSU.

My plan is to use the machine as it arrives for a few years, and then if it starts to slow down (or something fizzles out), attempt to put the key components in a new case.

BruceCLea

Banned
Got to see one of these towers in person at Best Buy. There are index card-sized vents on each side of it and the exact visual you see in the pictures on the back. There's a fin like thing going on up top where there are two USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 along with a universal card reader. The front silver thing flips to the side where the DVD/disc tray is.

Through the vents on the you can see what's going on inside. (Some people seem to question if you can see the components.)

Overall I'm totally new to PC gaming but I'm excited and thought I'd share what I saw. I hope it answers some questions. I'm not very knowledgeable in this stuff, so maybe your local Best Buy will have the HP Envy 750se on display just so you can see what you're working with before you get your machine.

MBison

My comp has a AMD 7970 in it. Bought several years ago. Is there an estimation on the speed increase I'd see with a 980ti?

Mine shipped yesterday... Should be here on Tuesday. What sucks is I planned on going outta town for a week on Sunday but now I don't want to leave :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just got mine! Nice and compact too, I like it. Can't wait to boot it up when I get my SSD in.

Big huge thanks to the OP once again!

Thursday for me.

Between now and then I have to decide how i want to image the Windows install that will come on the HDD drive onto the SSD currently serving as the main drive on my old desktop. My current gameplan:

1.) Remove all junk software from new computer.

2.) Install all software that I use on my current desktop onto the new desktop and copy over all appropriate custom configs. All games, business files, drivers, software, hardware configs are setup, configured and verified working as expected on the new machine.

3.) Image the HDD of the new PC using ________ (feel free to suggest an application well suited for this task) to an external HDD. Verify integrity of image.

4.) Image the SSD of the old PC to an external HDD. This old SSD will become the new main drive of the new PC. Verify integrity of image.

5.) Wipe old SSD and drop image of the new PC onto it, then add it to the new computer. Expect everything to boot properly on the newly-installed SSD.

6.) Wipe some other drive and drop image of old desktop onto it, then add it to the old computer. Expect everything to boot properly.

Concerns:

Since drives that are actively in use will be wiped, there is the possibility that the images once dropped won't start. I've had bad experiences with missing MBR's in the past.

thoughts?

Just got the confirmation as well for a Tuesday delivery:)

I have to find a good deal on an SSD and Keyboard/Mouse.

I got the 1TB Mushkin Reactor for $210 on newegg, and the logitech illuminated wireless keyboard and MX800 mouse on Amazon. I already have the mouse so if you're interested in the new one it's for sale.

Mine just arrived at home but I am stuck at work. This will be a long day.

I am new to PC gaming, do I really need to go with an SSD and install a clean windows install?

I am new to PC gaming, do I really need to go with an SSD and install a clean windows install?
You could try something like PC Decrapifier instead of a clean install. The idea is just to get rid of whatever bloatware HP throw on there.

I've been wanting to run an SSD for the longest as I've always heard abou what a huge difference it makes with boot up and over all loading. Do you NEED one? No, but if you're building something modern with a GPU like the 980ti then you might as well go all out with at least a small ssd for Windows. After all your rig is only as strong as its weakest link.

Akronis

Thursday for me.

Between now and then I have to decide how i want to image the Windows install that will come on the HDD drive onto the SSD currently serving as the main drive on my old desktop. My current gameplan:

1.) Remove all junk software from new computer.

2.) Install all software that I use on my current desktop onto the new desktop and copy over all appropriate custom configs. All games, business files, drivers, software, hardware configs are setup, configured and verified working as expected on the new machine.

3.) Image the HDD of the new PC using ________ (feel free to suggest an application well suited for this task) to an external HDD. Verify integrity of image.

4.) Image the SSD of the old PC to an external HDD. This old SSD will become the new main drive of the new PC. Verify integrity of image.

5.) Wipe old SSD and drop image of the new PC onto it, then add it to the new computer. Expect everything to boot properly on the newly-installed SSD.

6.) Wipe some other drive and drop image of old desktop onto it, then add it to the old computer. Expect everything to boot properly.

Concerns:

Since drives that are actively in use will be wiped, there is the possibility that the images once dropped won't start. I've had bad experiences with missing MBR's in the past.

thoughts?

Use BCDEdit and bootrec to rebuild BCD and fix any missing bootloaders or MBR (assuming this is at least windows 7).

Elbereth

I got the 1TB Mushkin Reactor for $210 on newegg, and the logitech illuminated wireless keyboard and MX800 mouse on Amazon. I already have the mouse so if you're interested in the new one it's for sale.

Thanks my friend. I just ordered the 1TB Kingston SSD from Amazon ($200).

Just got the shipping notification, mine will show up on Thursday. Anyone have suggestions as to good first games to test a 980ti? I've already played through Witcher 3 on X1. I was thinking of firing up the Crysis games. Do they hold up? Is Metro LL still a good benchmark game? I've been away from the PC master race for a while and have no clue what people use to push a new pc these days.

jaaz

I can confirm signature is required. I got mine yesterday but can't play with it until Saturday. It's basic, but looks solid. Going to add a second SSD, probably an EVO, for games and leave the SSD it came with for the OS and anything non-game related.

I can confirm signature is required. I got mine yesterday but can't play with it until Saturday. It's basic, but looks solid. Going to add a second SSD, probably an EVO, for games and leave the SSD it came with for the OS and anything non-game related.
Mine says "indirect signature," which I'm assuming (and crossing my fingers) means my building's office can sign for it. They've signed for other packages in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom