• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windam

Scaley member
America gets all the good stuff. An i5-6600K, mobo and 8gb of RAM was $670ish for me here in Canada. A 980Ti after tax alone would basically cost as much as this PC. Oh well. Enjoy your new rigs, people who got one!

Where can I find the windows 10 product key so I can do a fresh install on a ssd I put in.
I think Windows 10 is tied to motherboards? So you just need a USB key/disc with Windows 10 on it, which you can download directly from Microsoft. Shouldn't need a code.

Someone can correct me if wrong.

Got mine. First impressions are solid. It's actually smaller and subtler than I thought, which I appreciate, but there's a lot of big, hot components in a pretty small box with just one fan and some side vents...

Cable management was surprisingly on point (the SATA cables are even neatly in place if you want to keep adding hard drives, but I did add an extra cable tie to something that was nearly laying against the CPU.

Booted fine. 1440p is beautiful. Installing clean windows now (it's F10 to get into the BIOS).

Trigonx

I think Windows 10 is tied to motherboards? So you just need a USB key/disc with Windows 10 on it, which you can download directly from Microsoft. Shouldn't need a code.

Someone can correct me if wrong.

yeah, it worked no problem with a usb drive. No product key needed.

cakefoo

Come on Fedex, wtf are you...

yJRq7cB.jpg

Mine showed up yesterday and I have been having a blast. Just Cause 3 at 4K with everything maxed out looks amazing. That and Dying Light showcase such a huge jump from consoles.

I also ran that PC Decrapifier program that was recommended, came up with zero things to remove.

Elixist

Seems like a decent buy so far. I question the 980 ti shooting heat up into the power supply tho. the 6700k came with a cute heatsink.

These impressions have me stoked. Mine was delayed until Thursday. If I get it that day. I always end up doing a little dance with the Fed Ex guy because he delivers while I'm at work.

Got my Phoenix yesterday, threw in the ssd and installed Windows. I like that the tower isnt huge but there seems to be something wrong with fan in the power supply which makes a loud clicking noise after neing on for a few mins, like something is hitting the blades. Gonna call them today and see if they can send someone out to fix it...

Just got the shipping notification, mine will show up on Thursday. Anyone have suggestions as to good first games to test a 980ti? I've already played through Witcher 3 on X1. I was thinking of firing up the Crysis games. Do they hold up? Is Metro LL still a good benchmark game? I've been away from the PC master race for a while and have no clue what people use to push a new pc these days.

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Mine says "indirect signature," which I'm assuming (and crossing my fingers) means my building's office can sign for it. They've signed for other packages in the past.

I had to sign for and the fed ex guy said that the people at my leasing office could not sign for it, had to be me, so I'm glad I held off for leaving on my trip for a couple of days but it sucked getting it, hooking it up abd just leaving before getting to spend any real time playing with it. :(

I had to sign for and the fed ex guy said that the people at my leasing office could not sign for it, had to be me, so I'm glad I held off for leaving on my trip for a couple of days but it sucked getting it, hooking it up abd just leaving before getting to spend any real time playing with it. :(
That's weird. My building office signed and kept it for me no problem.

PolishQ

Mine showed up yesterday and I have been having a blast. Just Cause 3 at 4K with everything maxed out looks amazing. That and Dying Light showcase such a huge jump from consoles.

I also ran that PC Decrapifier program that was recommended, came up with zero things to remove.

So there's no weird HP software installed?

This thing gets hot. I just played XCOM 2 for an hour or so and the GPU hit 84C. CPU max was 66C. Granted, XCOM 2 is far from a perfectly optimized game and made my old laptop heat up like nothing else, but it's a little worrying.

On the other hand, they both plummeted back to the 30s while idling, and the game looked and ran beautifully. (Well, for XCOM 2.)

shandy706

This thing gets hot. I just played XCOM 2 for an hour or so and the GPU hit 84C. CPU max was 66C. Granted, XCOM 2 is far from a perfectly optimized game and made my old laptop heat up like nothing else, but it's a little worrying.

On the other hand, they both plummeted back to the 30s while idling, and the game looked and ran beautifully. (Well, for XCOM 2.)

That CPU temp is ok under full load. The GPU temp is pretty high, but also within safe operation. You could manually set the GPU fan to 100% at 80c or so and it should keep it lower. Granted, the case may not dissipate heat well.

I got mine today. It seems like the only problem with it is that the the 980ti is going to vent up at the PSU. The build is nice and compact. It's a bit hard to get to the SATA ports on the Motherboard. I'll have more to say tomorrow when my monitor arrives.

I'll be interested to hear what people think about heat with this machine. I'm a bit worried about heat dissipation given the way the venting works. The main vent out is below the graphics card.

Elixist

I got mine today. It seems like the only problem with it is that the the 980ti is going to vent up at the PSU. The build is nice and compact. It's a bit hard to get to the SATA ports on the Motherboard. I'll have more to say tomorrow when my monitor arrives.

I'll be interested to hear what people think about heat with this machine. I'm a bit worried about heat dissipation given the way the venting works. The main vent out is below the graphics card.

ya theres no fan bringing in fresh air either is a problem. all the heat is reliant on that tiny fan at the bottom or going thru the powersupply lol, heat rises hp! bad basic thermal design. mines pretty loud under load, probably send it back after playin with it for awhile cause excess noise is a pet peeve. im just not confident in its longevity either without some modding, which at that point ill just build my own with quieter parts.

sidenote:1440p soul calibur 2/mario galaxy 2 with perfect frametimes is pretty baller.

Guys, I think i may have fucked up. So i got the pc in and open the case to install a SSD, but the SSD I bought apparently didn't come with a bracket. So I was like fuck, I'll just take the current Hard Drive out, use it's bracket and then get a new one for it when I head into town. So I unhook that hard drive and discover, that it doesn't have a bracket either, it is just slid into the bay.

So at this point I am reserved to just heading into town and trying to find a SSD bracket, I put the Hard drive back in and I notice I can't find a second cable to go to where the SSD would be to the Power Supply and also the current cable going to the power supply to the 2 TB Hard drive has apparently had the little plastic connector crack and isn't giving me a sung fit to the drive. Has anyone else had this problem?

ETA: Ok, disregard some of that up there, I had the cables confused, It is the cable that connects the SSD to the Motherboard, not the power supply that is cracked and has one missing, I am assuming one of those will be easier to find and purchase?

BruceCLea

Banned
What's a "full load"? Just wondering, if I don't overclock this thing and keep settings at high but below 4K will it increase longevity of the machine?

Guys, I think i may have fucked up. So i got the pc in and open the case to install a SSD, but the SSD I bought apparently didn't come with a bracket. So I was like fuck, I'll just take the current Hard Drive out, use it's bracket and then get a new one for it when I head into town. So I unhook that hard drive and discover, that it doesn't have a bracket either, it is just slid into the bay.

So at this point I am reserved to just heading into town and trying to find a SSD bracket, I put the Hard drive back in and I notice I can't find a second cable to go to where the SSD would be to the Power Supply and also the current cable going to the power supply to the 2 TB Hard drive has apparently had the little plastic connector crack and isn't giving me a sung fit to the drive. Has anyone else had this problem?

ETA: Ok, disregard some of that up there, I had the cables confused, It is the cable that connects the SSD to the Motherboard, not the power supply that is cracked and has one missing, I am assuming one of those will be easier to find and purchase?

Yeah Sata cables are cheap. You can get one on newegg for $2 and mounting bracket for $5

What's a "full load"? Just wondering, if I don't overclock this thing and keep settings at high but below 4K will it increase longevity of the machine?

It's when CPU and GPU usage are at max which rarely happens (if you play with vsync on or capped). Don't worry much about longevity as long as you are not having abnormal temps.

ya theres no fan bringing in fresh air either is a problem. all the heat is reliant on that tiny fan at the bottom or going thru the powersupply lol, heat rises hp! bad basic thermal design. mines pretty loud under load, probably send it back after playin with it for awhile cause excess noise is a pet peeve. im just not confident in its longevity either without some modding, which at that point ill just build my own with quieter parts.

sidenote:1440p soul calibur 2/mario galaxy 2 with perfect frametimes is pretty baller.
both Dell and HP both build their systems with the power supply at the top. I don't really understand why they do this. Its one of the reason I just decided to build my own (though I had to get a 970 because a 980ti put me over budget.)

Okaaaaay now time to find a reasonably priced monitor to take advantage of this...

Anyone have any recommendations where I can find a deal or a good thread for recommendations?

Okaaaaay now time to find a reasonably priced monitor to take advantage of this...

Anyone have any recommendations where I can find a deal or a good thread for recommendations?

bensbargains.com/categories/monitors-62/
http://flash.newegg.com/electronics/20?sortby=0
Generally keep an eye out on new egg. figure out the part you want and use PCpartpicker as well.

I went ahead and bought a top of the line monitor (XB270HU bprz 27-inch, on a new egg flash sale) to go with this. I will return and report.

bensbargains.com/categories/monitors-62/
http://flash.newegg.com/electronics/20?sortby=0
Generally keep an eye out on new egg. figure out the part you want and use PCpartpicker as well.

I went ahead and bought a top of the line monitor (XB270HU bprz 27-inch, on a new egg flash sale) to go with this. I will return and report.

Thanks. I'm tempted to buy the 270HU but I'm such a fucking computer noob I don't know what I'm doing. I just want my games to run better than I've ever seen. $750 for a monitor tho... I'll be pushing $3,000 if I buy my Oculus Rift

Thanks. I'm tempted to buy the 270HU but I'm such a fucking computer noob I don't know what I'm doing. I just want my games to run better than I've ever seen. $750 for a monitor tho... I'll be pushing $3,000 if I buy my Oculus Rift
You could gamble on the cheap route; like this $189 28" 4K 60hz at Sams:
http://m.samsclub.com/ip/upstar-m28..._LS&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-BHiFjcX3yvK3RGTzDUFpQQ
I have to admit, I'm tempted to cheap out as I'm also in the market for a VR headset.

That CPU temp is ok under full load. The GPU temp is pretty high, but also within safe operation. You could manually set the GPU fan to 100% at 80c or so and it should keep it lower. Granted, the case may not dissipate heat well.
I set a custom curve where %=C until it hits 80C, then it jumps to 90% fan. That seems to have kicked it back to the 75 or less range for the time being.

I don't know whether I got lucky or I'm just not sensitive to this (plus I wear headphones), but it's much quieter than my old laptop even with the fans cranked.

Alien: Isolation at 1440p/Ultra/60fps is pretty damn beautiful.

Yeah Sata cables are cheap. You can get one on newegg for $2 and mounting bracket for $5

I ended up finding one lying around, so that problem is taken care of. Quick word to the wise for anyone who wants to add a hard drive to one of these things. Getting to the SATA ports is a bitch and a half. That stupid brace they put in the middle is a huge pain in the ass for actually making any changes in there.

I set a custom curve where %=C until it hits 80C, then it jumps to 90% fan. That seems to have kicked it back to the 75 or less range for the time being.

I don't know whether I got lucky or I'm just not sensitive to this (plus I wear headphones), but it's much quieter than my old laptop even with the fans cranked.

Alien: Isolation at 1440p/Ultra/60fps is pretty damn beautiful.

I won't be booting up this machine till tomorrow when my monitor arrives, but is there anything I should know about doing a curve like this? Is it googleable?

Coming from a total console guy this thing is a monster . I hooked it up to my 4k Tv and its working with no problems. Played a couple games on it and CS the fans kicked in at 4k but nothing to bad. So far its been great

Karamsoul

Received mine yesterday. This thing is a beast, power-wise. Ran the Steam VR app and came up with a score of 11 with it saying the computer was far above what I needed for VR. Best part about it - it's amazingly quiet!

Jigolo

Can the stuff inside this be changed to another box? I see a good deal right now on slickdeals for a 970 one

cakefoo

Received mine yesterday. This thing is a beast, power-wise. Ran the Steam VR app and came up with a score of 11 with it saying the computer was far above what I needed for VR. Best part about it - it's amazingly quiet!
Hmm, the best mine's been able to do is 10.3, so if you have any insights I'd really appreciate it.

6700K, 980ti, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom