• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP Omen X

This is HP's crazy looking top of the line gaming PC

Haven't heard anyone on here ever talk about it (though prebuilt PC aren't really the thing here), but I bought a HP Envy Phoenix last year during one of the 30% sales, which has served me well, but has a few pretty big issues I don't like about it. The case is horribly cramped, to the point that it's a major hassle just adding a hard drive. On top of that, the power supply had a loose wire in it that was hitting a fan and making a really annoying noise. I was able to push it in further so it doesn't do it anymore, but it has always worried me.

Anyway I called about the power supply issue when I first got it and it required me to send the entire tower back, when I didn't want to do at the time since I had already transitioned everything over to it. However it's still under warranty and I want to take care of it. Back then the only solution to not having to be go back to my old PC was to buy another one then return this one... I'm wondering if they would take me up on that offer now since they don't even make the model computer that I have anymore... and would it even be worth maybe paying an extra $500 or so for a better case, slightly better processor, and upgrading the GPU from a 980ti to a 1080FE. Trying to figure out where the hell I am going to put it is gonna be another issue.

So what do you think GAF, should I even be bothered? Does anyone here have one or know someone that does?

If you look at it you will see that it actually doesn't... it looks like a completely modular case that you can easily add and remove parts from... like most modern gaming cases.

OMEN_X_DT_Cable_Management_tcm245_2309202_tcm245_2310807_tcm245-2309202.jpg

HP_OMEN_Typhon_q4_fy16_spriteImg_3.png

kuYuri

I already have a gaming PC so I don't need this, but I'm definitely interested in their Omen X monitor. It ticks all the boxes that I've been looking for in a monitor lately.

glad to see HP doing something interesting, I've bought used HP workstations on eBay and converted them to gaming systems and they are incredibly well built but their home consumer systems always seemed to use cheap parts and not put together very well.

So this is what I might be facing...

Going from...

4Ghz i7 6700k to a i7-7700k 4.2GHz

980ti to a 1080FE

24GB DDR4-2133 to 8GB (same speed, I would just add more of my own RAM)

2TB HDD to 3 TB (already have an extra 2TB HDD and a 1 TB SSD)

I think the power supply in this one is 500 watt compared to 600 standard on the Omen X

Both will have liquid cooling...

If they don't honor the 30% off it will be a difference for $530. If they do then I might only have to pay like $20 more, or I might just go cray and really max it out if I need to spend more to make it happen. Is this worth doing or should I just stick with what I have? I REALLY hate how cramped this tower is and that's one of the main reasons the Omen X looked more attractive, I'm not trying to upgrade power supplies. I just don't want it to be such a pain to upgrade my GPU, RAM, or add additional hard drives.

Xander51

This is MADNESS. As someone who has both built numerous PCs and owned pre-built stuff from the likes of Alienware over the last 25 years, this is the most awkward garbage I've ever seen. Even the cheap pre-builts we use at my work have easy-to-remove power supplies.

There is no good reason for this.

EDIT: SlaughterX, your current rig seems pretty good. How often are you planning to dig around inside the case? $530 is not a terrible price for all that stuff I guess if that's all you have to pay. Are you unhappy with your current performance?

Top Bottom