• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padinn

Does anyone know about the Advanced Super Sample filter setting? I think I read somewhere it causes blur. Should I enable or disable?

"Maybe, but I'm dubious on how convincing is it will be with the bulbous controller and tracking band still strapped to your hand. Another concern is I really hate the form, angle, weight, and balance of Touch for gunplay, the larger top heavy Vive wands are objectively superior in approximating most firearms. The knuckles look much closer to Touch than wands."

There are more genres out there than just shooters, dude.

Mattenth

I'm working on a report and was wondering if someone could tell me I'm not crazy here...

Several firms reported around 400-450k HTC Vive units were sold in 2016. But looking at SteamDB, it looks like there are less than 1000 concurrent users and less than 30% total users in the last 2 weeks? Am I reading this right?

https://steamdb.info/app/250820/graphs/

I'm just surprised not to see higher adoption :-\ hoping someone can tell me I'm looking at this data wrong.

Bookoo

I'm working on a report and was wondering if someone could tell me I'm not crazy here...

Several firms reported around 400-450k HTC Vive units were sold in 2016. But looking at SteamDB, it looks like there are less than 1000 concurrent users and less than 30% total users in the last 2 weeks? Am I reading this right?

I'm just surprised not to see higher adoption :-\ hoping someone can tell me I'm looking at this data wrong.

Not all that surprising. Many VR titles are short and/or many only play for small chunks. I had an Vive which I didn't use that much and my Rift has sort of sat on my desk collecting dust. I have recently started playing more because my friend got a headset so we were able to play coop games and now Echo Arena has really pulled me back in and may actually keep my coming back more often.

Another interesting thing about sales figures came from BrandonLa (Hover Junker Dev)

"Vive is moving more units than the Rift however a bunch of the sales are Asian arcade units. So from the developer standpoint on Steam/Oculus Home the effective number of users are closer than the raw sales indicate.

You're 100% right that Rift vs Vive doesn't matter. VR w/tracked controllers simply needs more total sales to justify higher content production budgets."

Zalusithix

That graph shows 130 people in SteamVR. SuperHot VR is showing 151 concurrent players.

I think that's just a count of people sitting in SteamVR/Home right now.

The tracking of SteamVR is odd/broken. My usage counter for SteamVR, for instance, is up to 66 hours. That's nowhere near right if it's time in VR as I've got 60 hours in Audioshield alone, but it would be equally wrong if it was counting idling in the grey room / Home.

Beyond that, it'd be a useless metric for the Vive anyhow as SteamVR is invoked for people with Rifts/OSVR/etc that play VR games through Steam.

low-G

Not all that surprising. Many VR titles are short and/or many only play for small chunks. I had an Vive which I didn't use that much and my Rift has sort of sat on my desk collecting dust. I have recently started playing more because my friend got a headset so we were able to play coop games and now Echo Arena has really pulled me back in and may actually keep my coming back more often.

Another interesting thing about sales figures came from BrandonLa (Hover Junker Dev)

"Vive is moving more units than the Rift however a bunch of the sales are Asian arcade units. So from the developer standpoint on Steam/Oculus Home the effective number of users are closer than the raw sales indicate.

You're 100% right that Rift vs Vive doesn't matter. VR w/tracked controllers simply needs more total sales to justify higher content production budgets."

147,000 users since SteamVR was released as a trackable app, including both Oculus & Vive is lower than I would have expected. I wish there were some better way to see what's really going on with those units in the wild.

Note: As an Oculus user the SteamVR app didn't start tracking play time or anything until the environments update came out a few weeks ago. Before then SteamVR would load up but my Steam account did not track it at all. But the statistics on that site show SteamVR being tracked a long time ago?

That Asian arcade units thing is very interesting because it matches up to what I see in game populations (& have asked about re: Raw Data players).

I'd suspect many thousands, or tens of thousands, of pretty active arcade VR units throughout Asia. Very interesting gaming demographics in VR right now.

Zalusithix

Finally got the last toy for Airtone. Seemed to be unlocked at 30k total rhythm points, unless that was just a random coincidence.

Spamming the now complete room with the new toy:

Honestly for as long as it took to unlock compared to the other stuff, I was expecting something more lol. Also wish the game saved the photo frame data. Kind of pointless to have them if the contents are lost on every exit.

Steel

Banned
Maybe, but I'm dubious on how convincing is it will be with the bulbous controller and tracking band still strapped to your hand. Another concern is I really hate the form, angle, weight, and balance of Touch for gunplay, the larger top heavy Vive wands are objectively superior in approximating most firearms. The knuckles look much closer to Touch than wands.

The knuckles look like a compromise between the touch and wand, imo. They have the heft of the wands with the hand presence of the touch. Not sure how that weight will transfer for gunplay as the balance of the vive seems better.

Yo, Vive-GAF!

I've got a Vive on loan for the next week and a half and want to make the most of it. So far I've played Superhot (which is my fav by a long shot), audio shield, thumper and elite dangerous. I also watched Google's "Pearl" animation which was stellar. Any other must have games/experiences that I can't afford to miss?

Also if there's any best practices for positioning the base stations, I'm all ears. I already accidentally bricked one by updating it, which was infuriating, and I am getting fairly frequent temporary disconnects if my head is moved at a certain angle.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Yo, Vive-GAF!

I've got a Vive on loan for the next week and a half and want to make the most of it. So far I've played Superhot (which is my fav by a long shot), audio shield, thumper and elite dangerous. I also watched Google's "Pearl" animation which was stellar. Any other must have games/experiences that I can't afford to miss?

Also if there's any best practices for positioning the base stations, I'm all ears. I already accidentally bricked one by updating it, which was infuriating, and I am getting fairly frequent temporary disconnects if my head is moved at a certain angle.

some great free stuff
compundhttps://notdead.itch.io/compound
gornhttps://raithza.itch.io/gorn
spell fighterhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/455440/Spell_Fighter_VR/
accountinghttp://store.steampowered.com/app/518580/Accounting/
budget cuts demohttp://store.steampowered.com/app/459860/Budget_Cuts_Demo/

paid stuff
climbeyhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/520010/Climbey/
sairentohttp://store.steampowered.com/app/555880/Sairento_VR/
raw datahttp://store.steampowered.com/app/436320/Raw_Data/
arizonia sunshinehttp://store.steampowered.com/app/342180/Arizona_Sunshine/
pavlovhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/555160/Pavlov_VR/
onwardhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/Onward/
vanishing realmshttp://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/Vanishing_Realms/
serious sam first encounterhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/552450/Serious_Sam_VR_The_First_Encounter/
space pirate trainerhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/418650/Space_Pirate_Trainer/

Steel

Banned
Yo, Vive-GAF!

If you want a step into the horror realm you can get the Organ quarter pre-alpha for free.

Oooooo nice I actually didn't even think itch.io would have vr games, that's awesome. I'll take a look at that list when I get home tonight!

I can do horror, but hey maybe VR will be too much. I didn't realize Reaident Evil 7 still wasn't on htc or oculus so I'm a little bummed there, but what can ya do. 2018 is just ridiculous.

Padinn

I am looking at picking up one more VR game during the sale. I picked up Battlezone VR and loved it. I tried IL2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad, and I want to love it, but I don't - so I refunded it. I thought about picking up Everspace again, but I remember it being wonky.

I have read here good things about Serious Sam. I loved the original games. They seem expensive for VR, so if I bought them now would be the time. Is the bundle worth it- seems a bit more then I want to spend right now. I thinking of just grabbing the first encounter.

Durante

I have read here good things about Serious Sam. I loved the original games. They seem expensive for VR, so if I bought them now would be the time. Is the bundle worth it- seems a bit more then I want to spend right now. I thinking of just grabbing the first encounter.
Well, they are rather long games, so you can just get TFE, see how much you like it, and come back for TSE in the next sale.

So I'm having some issues choosing between standing room only and roomscale at the smallest size possible.

At 6.5 x 5, most of the menus and interactive objects feel kind of far away. I legit have problems pointing and interacting with virtual screens, which is a bummer. The extra space otherwise in game is super nice, but I also tend to lose sync sometimes because of furniture.

On standing only, everything is close but there's no grid like chaperone. This is baffling because quite a few games (Superhot, and the valve lab games) require reaching far out of the circular safe zone. One (slingshot calibration) even made me click a virtual reset button and it was far past my couch. You're totally free to step out of it too, which is nice but disconcerting. I overall wound up much further out of the play zone in standing only than I ever did in room scale.

I feel like I have to go roomscale if only for the grid chaperone - really don't want to accidentally get too close to my TV, but standing only just doesn't have any visual cues that you're going out of bounds.

Honestly, in my case it's because my Vive time goes in bursts. I'll go a week without touching it, then play it a ton for a week, then go another week without touching it, and so on. Like right now i'm addicted to Soundboxing, so i've been playing my Vive a ton the past few days, but then when I start playing through Wolfenstein finally, I'll probably not touch my Vive until it's done. It's just the nature of the hardware for me atm. I imagine as more, longer game experiences come out for Vive i'll naturally start using it more often rather than in bursts.

The room I use my Vive in is also pretty small (i barely meet the minimum requirements), so if it's not fully clear then I can't use my Vive.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing Wolfenstein too! And haven't touched my Vive in a day or two.

dmix90

Anyone here jumped from PSVR to Vive or at least used both extensively? Is PQ on Vive noticeably better/worse? It's obvious that PC has more horsepower to output better assets but i am curious about display quality itself. I am reading mixed reports online and also some say that PSVR has lower resolution but display tech is better. Overall impressions from those who made the jump?

Anyone here jumped from PSVR to Vive or at least used both extensively? Is PQ on Vive noticeably better/worse? It's obvious that PC has more horsepower to output better assets but i am curious about display quality itself. I am reading mixed reports online and also some say that PSVR has lower resolution but display tech is better. Overall impressions from those who made the jump?
PSVR is noticeably worse overall, however the lens tech used creates less blur around the edges making text sometimes easier to read on PSVR

My biggest complaint with the PSVR is hard to explain, but its like the tracking just isnt right. If I look straight down, then lift my head upwards the image I'm seeing looks like im moving my head backwards at the same time as lifting it up. Its the closest I've come to ever feeling nauseous with a VR device.

I've had a Vive since launch-ish and just got a PSVR less than a week ago. Haven't had too much time with it, but I'd say PSVR's strength is that it doesn't have the halo effect from the lenses caused by light colors against dark backgrounds. I haven't noticed any bloom either. The screen door effect isn't as noticeable while individual pixels are, though overall the difference between the HMDs on those last points are so little that it's hardly worth mentioning except in this context. The Vive's strengths are a slightly larger FOV, what seems like a larger sweet spot, and overall a sharper picture (especially when supersampling). So not only is the clarity usually better, but it's easier to achieve and maintain it, while on PSVR I tend to have to mess with the headset a lot to get a clear picture and tend to lose it easier if I look towards the edge of the lens.

Fixed a ton of my technical VR issues today.... by changing the USB port, I must have switched the port somewhere in the last couple of days/weeks without even thinking about it, I guess I switched it back to the one where I initially installed it... don't know if that makes any sense but it's working way better now. Either that or it was the "repair vive driver" option... I dunno.

SomTervo

Fixed a ton of my technical VR issues today.... by changing the USB port, I must have switched the port somewhere in the last couple of days/weeks without even thinking about it, I guess I switched it back to the one where I initially installed it... don't know if that makes any sense but it's working way better now. Either that or it was the "repair vive driver" option... I dunno.

One of the ports on my PC is weirdly dodgy, too. For things like headsets its fine, but for things like USB drives or phones it never works and fails to connect/read.

Luckily I identified the issue soon after building the machine so I can avoid it when I need to.

Nezacant

I constantly have to move mine around to different USB ports. I'll get random "USB Device Not Recognized" errors in Windows or the headset camera doesn't want to activate... always something.

Reallink

"Maybe, but I'm dubious on how convincing is it will be with the bulbous controller and tracking band still strapped to your hand. Another concern is I really hate the form, angle, weight, and balance of Touch for gunplay, the larger top heavy Vive wands are objectively superior in approximating most firearms. The knuckles look much closer to Touch than wands."

There are more genres out there than just shooters, dude.

Problem is firing some sort of gun-like device comprises a large majority of current and forthcoming VR experiences, so it's an important consideration.

Zalusithix

Problem is firing some sort of gun-like device comprises a large majority of current and forthcoming VR experiences, so it's an important consideration.

The Knucklse controllers and Vive wands will be objectively more similar to each other than the Vive wands are to actual guns.

Here's a quick comparison in weight and size to a few guns on hand.
CQB8BfA.jpg

6EjqvYp.jpg

The Vive wands are less than one third the weight of the empty Colt PPS, and nearly one fifth the weight of the Springfield XD40. Meanwhile they're wider and shallower than every gun aside from the depth of the PPS. The trigger positions relative to the grip are also far off from the real thing. The fact that we can get any level of suspension of disbelief in VR has little to do with how much they resemble real guns. but how much the visuals in VR trick the brain. We're holding something, and see something else. The mind prefers to believe the eyes over the mismatch sense of touch, and presto - suspension of disbelief - so long as you don't think too hard about it.

I mean, if you close your eyes and hold a Vive wand in one hand, and a real gun in the other, there's no fooling yourself at all. Weight, balance, grip dimensions, grip texture, trigger position, trigger feel... Nothing remotely matches up.

Moondrop

Banned
Soundboxing: Really fun game, if lacking polish. I went with this one over Audioshield because I liked the sound of the human touch vs. an algorithm. However the downside became immediately apparent- the user-created content is focused on recent music (and anime?), and I'm old. But I found some 80's stuff and got moving. Yet another genre where I'm terrible, but in this game it didn't hamper my enjoyment a bit. It's not like Guitar Hero where the song stops; your score is just terrible.

Where the game really put a grin on my face was when I tried creating my own level. Super fun and intuitive, and I can see those dangerous Mario Maker/social media qualities where you want people to like your stuff. I'm a little concerned about the hit detection, and didn't really test the editor tools. I can see myself getting into this.

XShagrath

A great thing about the knuckle controllers is that they don't make the original Vive controllers disappear from existence.
I was contemplating saying this a little while back, but couldn't word it in a way that didn't sound dickish.

There's absolutely nothing stopping someone from using the controller that works best for a given game. If you feel the wands work better in gun games, then use them there, and use the knuckles controller for other things.

I was contemplating saying this a little while back, but couldn't word it in a way that didn't sound dickish.

There's absolutely nothing stopping someone from using the controller that works best for a given game. If you feel the wands work better in gun games, then use them there, and use the knuckles controller for other things.

In fairness, it's likely that the original Vive controllers will stop being produced after the Knuckle controllers come out. Since there still haven't been that many Vive's sold in total (compared to other mass-market gaming controllers), and the controllers seem to have a somewhat short shelf life (trackpad issues), I can definitely imagine them being hard to find in the near future.

MaximL

Bought a Vive for the office on impulse then dropped a wad on all the top games. Shit is fucking sweeeeeet. Got a client coming down tommorow so perfect opportunity to show it off.

Everyone nearly broke the controllers today playing Drunken bar fight. Would love a 5meter by 5meter space.

Well I downloaded the advanced options for OpenVR and it lets you set a bounding box in standing only mode so. I'm pretty set. Plus supersampling is nice.

low-G

The Knucklse controllers and Vive wands will be objectively more similar to each other than the Vive wands are to actual guns.

CQB8BfA.jpg

6EjqvYp.jpg

The Vive wands are less than one third the weight of the empty Colt PPS, and nearly one fifth the weight of the Springfield XD40. Meanwhile they're wider and shallower than every gun aside from the depth of the PPS. The trigger positions relative to the grip are also far off from the real thing. The fact that we can get any level of suspension of disbelief in VR has little to do with how much they resemble real guns. but how much the visuals in VR trick the brain. We're holding something, and see something else. The mind prefers to believe the eyes over the mismatch sense of touch, and presto - suspension of disbelief - so long as you don't think too hard about it.

I mean, if you close your eyes and hold a Vive wand in one hand, and a real gun in the other, there's no fooling yourself at all. Weight, balance, grip dimensions, grip texture, trigger position, trigger feel... Nothing remotely matches up.

What we really need is the recoil. The lack of is a bigger distraction than anything to do with weight or handfeel (comparing to Oculus Touch).

Dremorak

Banned
Also interesting (maybe), a Drawing with Jazza Video about the animation program Mindshow in VR.

As an animator I think I can weigh in on this a bit:
1st- Anyone thinking this will replace animators hasnt thought about the fact that motion capture has existed for quite a long time now and still there are people like me who hand animate everything I do every day, not every game needs or even would work best with motion capture (which is essentially what this is) Also you cant just record someone running in a suit and slap it in-game, theres cleanup and optimisation and changes that still need to be done using 3d software.

2nd- I can't see myself using this for anything other than messing around until the next few iterations of vr come out with full body tracking. Having any part of the body not under direct control at all times means it cant be used for production animation.

3rd- its awesome that people will be able to create simple animations and movies with just a vr headset, and hopefully that will lead to more interest in the animation industry and it can continue to grow and move forward!

Reallink

CQB8BfA.jpg

6EjqvYp.jpg

My point was less about how similar the Vive wands are to real guns, and more about how dissimilar Oculus Touch is--particularly how bad it feels in direct comparison to the wands. My question was will the feel of the knuckles be more similar to Touch or Wands?

jwc13ac

I had a PSVR on a PRO when is came out and sold it, and got a Vive recently.

Vive has way better tracking (this can't be overstated). Better field of view, better controllers, and graphics can get much more detailed. I have the audio strap and the headphones built in are awesome.

PSVR has a better headset strap, lighter, and slightly less "screen door". Also has better exclusives which is pissing me off a bit (Rez, RE7, until Dawn, Bound. And Ace Combat, really?? I needed that one)

But the tracking being so much better in the Vive is the deal breaker. It works ok on psvr, but games like Job simulator just don't have the same effect.

Zalusithix

What we really need is the recoil. The lack of is a bigger distraction than anything to do with weight or handfeel (comparing to Oculus Touch).

There's a couple companies working on devices with more realistic haptics to simulate recoil, but how well supported they'll be is anybody's guess.

On a related note... While nobody has said anything about the haptics in the Knuckles controllers that I'm aware of, I'm hoping they have a larger LRA/ERM/whatever in addition to the one they already use in the Vive wands. The existing one is good for fine detail, but lacks a visceral impact. A larger one used in tandem with the existing one would give the best of both worlds.

They build a venting/cooling solution for Vive

Here is my girlfriend playing with this attached to the Vive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxcLfPzjRIw&feature=youtu.be
http://www.roadtovr.com/vive-n-chill-cooling-solution-htc-vive-users-sweaty-vr-faces/
I wont buy this and this is unfortunately also not my girlfriend!... in all seriousness, the fogging of the headset disappears once the temperature has leveled out which usually happens in about 10 minutes, if it happens at all. ...and it is still very unfortunate that this is not my girlfriend!!!

MaDKaT

They build a venting/cooling solution for Vive

... snip

Ultimately, I think this is a problem that will only exist for gen 1 units but Im really surprised they do not use something like what is used to cool welding hoods. Something like the deluxe strap but with the fan at the rear and small ducts incorporated into the band that wrap around the head and provide fresh air to the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom