• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
They build a venting/cooling solution for Vive

Here is my girlfriend playing with this attached to the Vive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxcLfPzjRIw&feature=youtu.be
http://www.roadtovr.com/vive-n-chill-cooling-solution-htc-vive-users-sweaty-vr-faces/
I wont buy this and this is unfortunately also not my girlfriend!... in all seriousness, the fogging of the headset disappears once the temperature has leveled out which usually happens in about 10 minutes, if it happens at all. ...and it is still very unfortunate that this is not my girlfriend!!!

I'm probably going to get this. Sweat is one of the biggest issues I have playing in VR and Summer is going to be brutal (already is actually). Seems like they're shooting for $25-$35 so probably worth it.

I have oculus so there are two sales going on right now so I want some VR recmmendations. Saliento (spelling?) I heard is really good, that is $20. Overkill I think it's called is cheaper, is that good? i still need to get Arizona and raw data but I want them to be cheaper, same with serious Sam.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I have oculus so there are two sales going on right now so I want some VR recmmendations. Saliento (spelling?) I heard is really good, that is $20. Overkill I think it's called is cheaper, is that good? i still need to get Arizona and raw data but I want them to be cheaper, same with serious Sam.

sairento is amazing dont pass it up

Is Cosmic Trip a game a lot of people are sleeping on or something? I never hear anyone talk about it.

I bought it on a whim last night and it's so good. Highly recommend it, especially for the $17 sale price.

Is Cosmic Trip a game a lot of people are sleeping on or something? I never hear anyone talk about it.

I bought it on a whim last night and it's so good. Highly recommend it, especially for the $17 sale price.

I've mentioned it a lot but I do think people are sleeping on it. It's a really polished package and pretty unique even among VR games.

Zalusithix

Here is my girlfriend playing with this attached to the Vive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxcLfPzjRIw&feature=youtu.be
http://www.roadtovr.com/vive-n-chill-cooling-solution-htc-vive-users-sweaty-vr-faces/
I wont buy this and this is unfortunately also not my girlfriend!... in all seriousness, the fogging of the headset disappears once the temperature has leveled out which usually happens in about 10 minutes, if it happens at all. ...and it is still very unfortunate that this is not my girlfriend!!!

Putting aside the corny sex appeal marketing in the beginning, I'm honestly not seeing what this brings to the table that a simple oscillating floor fan wouldn't accomplish. The CFM output from fans of that size is going to amount to next to nothing without super high RPMs. So either they won't cool you worth a damn and are quiet, or they have some level of cooling but are noisy.

Meanwhile the floor fan will produce far more airflow and cool more than your forehead. I won't say a floor fan will be quiet, especially on higher speeds, but the noise to CFM ratio is much better. Additionally, the noise is more low pitch / broadband in nature and thus less annoying.

SimplexPL

Well I downloaded the advanced options for OpenVR and it lets you set a bounding box in standing only mode so. I'm pretty set. Plus supersampling is nice.
You no longer need OVRAS to set supersampling, it can be done in SteamVR options, outside VR (so OVRAS is stil useful if you want to do it in VR)

I agree with this assessment ;)
kVuih06.png

You no longer need OVRAS to set supersampling, it can be done in SteamVR options, outside VR (so OVRAS is stil useful if you want to do it in VR)

Oh nice! Didn't realize it was already a thing - I was actually surprised at the discrepancy between settings accessible in and out of VR. Still though, being able to add and customize the chaperone for standing mode is a must right now for me.

jwc13ac

Ok so looking for one more big game to pick up during sale, looking for a FPS made for VR. Don't have any friends in VR :( so multiplayer isn't a big vocus

On the list is Raw Data, Sarentino, Arizona sunshine? These worth it?

Any other big ones I'm missing? Any recomndetions? Are the military ones any good?

I have and beat Superhot (so good!) and I have space pirate trainer, but wanted something that you move a bit.

cakefoo

Ok so looking for one more big game to pick up during sale, looking for a FPS made for VR. Don't have any friends in VR :( so multiplayer isn't a big vocus

Any other big ones I'm missing? Any recomndetions? Are the military ones any good?

I have and beat Superhot (so good!) and I have space pirate trainer, but wanted something that you move a bit.
Serious Sam: The First Encounter. I don't own it, and it's technically a port from the standard game, but it's gotten nothing but praise for its VR implementation.

I have about 4 hours in Pavlov and really enjoy it. Onward has good word of mouth too, but it was too slow for me.

Durante

So apparently Palmer pledged $2000 on the CrossVR (developer of Revive) patreon. Somewhat amusing.
And good on CrossVR! -- though I personally still refuse to buy on the Oculus store on ideological grounds.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Raw Data has got lots of contents imo, and is probably the best wave shooter at the moment.

Heard good words on Dead Effect 2. Also The Brookhaven Experiment, Onward, Damaged Core, Serious Sam VR titles

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLF_iD6mbpjn14wZdFL1baA

There's an upcoming Stealth title "Espire 1: VR Operative" which has some interesting mechanics.

looks cool this and budget cuts have me hyped for vr stealth

pavlov is damn good

Is Pavlov VR worth 6€ as a mostly single player experience? (I think it has bots)

it dose have bots even player made maps on the workshop work with bots

Putosaure

While playing Windlands, I noticed that one of my thumbpad couldn't press on the right direction, or really hard, which is not good. HTC customer service time ! Maybe I should just send both just in case...

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Those Knuckles impressions/vids make them sound awesome. Valve's hardware initiatives are so interesting.

cakefoo

While playing Windlands, I noticed that one of my thumbpad couldn't press on the right direction, or really hard, which is not good. HTC customer service time ! Maybe I should just send both just in case...
I think it's just Windlands. Happened to me and I turned off the controllers and swapped hands, and it still happened. Meanwhile no issues in Pavlov with either controller.

Perhaps this FAQ from the dev will help:
If your controller's trackpad is twitchy and/or oversensitive, it needs to be calibrated.

Make sure you have the latest Controller firmware. You can check by going to SteamVR > Devices > Update Firmware.
Turn off the controller (long press System button).
While holding the Trigger and the Grip button, press the system button.
The controller should turn on, and make a different noise than the standard power on noise.

You may need to re-pair their controller if it's in the blue blinking state (SteamVR > Settings > Devices > Pair Controller)

The original Vives had issues with pad calibration and losing input, please try firmware updating and re-clibration

sonofbryce

Neo Member
Hello Ya'll! I posted a bit about our VR music visualizer in development Raybeem, a few pages back. Wanted to post a bit of an update.

We've now got a Raybeem Steam page up, so please add it to your wishlist!

Raybeem Promo Comic
thumb_raybeem01_1000px.png
thumb_raybeem02_1000px.png

Our homie Ramiro Roman created this promo comic for Raybeem. It's the size of a CD booklet, we passed these out during E3. You can check the full thing on our site or Instagram. Hit me up if you're interested in a copy!

18888567_864924166978863_1255801858430074880_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU5ANGSFQ0x/?taken-by=sokaylife
We posted a WIP video of the "Highway" theme on Instagram. It's not a skyview from your normal perspective within Raybeem (which will be street level), but thought it looked kinda cool.

We're working on a motion comic teaser trailer, intended for release with a demo as soon as we can get it together. As well as another trailer for release.

I've been working out some kinks with the hand tracking stuff in the default theme, when I get that straightened out I'll get a demo ready. It supports Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and will work as regular standalone Windows app.

If you're down for the cause, please check out our newly launched Patreon.

Thanks for reading the post, always down for some feedback.

Trojan

Noticed some talk about Open VR Advanced options and had a question:

I have used Chaperone Switcher for many months to set different Chaperone bounds easily and also to supersample. Seems like I can set supersampling now through SteamVR, but what is currently the best method to have multiple Chaperone setups that I can switch to easily? I basically have 3 setups I need to switch to easily - one for full room (requires couch move), one for partial room standing, and then one for seated VR.

I haven't been able to use my Vive much recently but want to rip through some games during the holiday weekend.

Wollan

Finally took the time to fix my stationary PC which has been freezing for the last two months (Windows Insider Preview... don't do it).

I have yet to play Super Hot VR so I'm planning on that next.
Recommendations for top five Vive games to pick up?

Moondrop

Banned
Space Pirate Trainer: Amazing, way more exciting than it appears on video. Sure this one's universally recommended but I wasn't sold until I saw there was a shield. Turns out shield is totally optional, ambidextrous, and swappable- LOVE that design. I turtled behind it the whole time unabashedly (just told myself I was a space cleric). My lack of FPS skills paradoxically made it even more fun- I find myself forced to my knees behind my shield when the barrage of fire becomes too much.

Then after my first run I noticed there were multiple weapons, all unlocked from the start. The shotgun seemed bad at first, but then I realized it synergized amazingly with the shield, buying time for my foes to come in range. Whereas the opposite was true of the railgun, which charges to power up; it seems designed to take advantage of bullet time, so you would want two of them I'd think. So many combinations to test... once I'm good enough to play without a shield.

Tilt Brush: Excellent, almost magical, but not perfect. I think the Steam review that compared it to MS Paint nailed it- same combo of intuitive design and engaging mechanics. The animated effects in particular are stunning. And it's not even as walled off as it might appear, with on-controller snapshot/video/gif functions at the ready.

One thing that bothered me- and I could have totally missed it- was I couldn't find options for 2D or 3D primitives, i.e. placing shapes. I respect that "brush" is in the title, but even MS Paint lets me fill in circles and rectangles with a paint bucket.

Tilt Brush: Excellent, almost magical, but not perfect. I think the Steam review that compared it to MS Paint nailed it- same combo of intuitive design and engaging mechanics. The animated effects in particular are stunning. And it's not even as walled off as it might appear, with on-controller snapshot/video/gif functions at the ready.

One thing that bothered me- and I could have totally missed it- was I couldn't find options for 2D or 3D primitives, i.e. placing shapes. I respect that "brush" is in the title, but even MS Paint lets me fill in circles and rectangles with a paint bucket.

It's been a while since I fired it up but there were primitives, you had to scroll through your menu to the 3 dots and there were shapes that were named "guides".. found a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpIdQP_DwB4

Wollan

Windows Insider Preview was what was messing up your PC? All you had to do was reinstall Windows and you were fine?
I was abroad for one of those months. And I haven't been gaming that much otherwise lately (and my non-gaming work laptop is usually my go to PC).
Was postponing it, not figuring it out.

Well, finally figured it out - on the Vive I'm borrowing, one of the base stations is missing a horizontal tracking light. Go figure. It's also the one that would brick any time I update its firmware - can't track the headset alone on it either, and shows up in developer mode on the opposite side of my room.

RMA right? Just making sure there's no other way to fix it.

low-G

Want to throw my 2c in again, Cosmic Trip is fantastic.

Tilt Brush is less MS Paint and more Mario Paint. It makes art fun again.

The general consensus is that Arizona Sunshine is pretty good, right?

Yeah I really like it. I think it excels because of the realistic aiming. Makes it feel more authentic to what real survival horror might be like.

I love the dark caves in the game. That's the survival mission I keep going back to. OLED + full field of view darkness = true dark.

General consensus, yeah. Me personally though I think it's a rather boring VR shooter and despite the length of the campaign not really worth the asking price.

(I should stop always shitting on this game and maybe play it once more on a harder difficulty than normal. I think I even said that I like this game when I first played it but it does not belong to my list of the best VR games out there)

Hm, interesting takes. Basically I'm looking for a shooting game that tries to be a bit more than a shooting gallery. Arizona Sunshine doesn't have two-handed weapons does it?

I just realized what a scam Superhot VR really is: "buy our game twice, because fuck you give us money".

Well, no thank you. I'll wait again. Silly me that I bought the game previoulsy following the "vr" tag on Steam.

I just realized what a scam Superhot VR really is: "buy our game twice, because fuck you give us money".

Well, no thank you. I'll wait again. Silly me that I bought the game previoulsy following the "vr" tag on Steam.

???

The VR version is a completely different game, with different levels, scenarios, and mechanics. If they called it "SuperHot 2" would it have been less of a scam?

Sucks that the tag was misleading but that's Valve's fault for rolling out what is (IMO) a flawed tagging system.

vermadas

I have probably enjoyed Arizona Sunshine more than any other shooter so far. Robo Recall and Raw Data trump it in a few ways, but AS has an actual campaign that doesn't feel like you're walking between shooting galleries. Sure, there are horde sections, but they don't comprise the entirety of enemy encounters. The pacing feels so much better to me where the wave shootery games feel too frantic.

There's an argument to be made about the length of the game you get for the money, but the VR game is completely separate from the flatscreen version.

low-G

SuperHOT VR is totally worth it because it's a very different game, and a much, much better game. I regret buying the original completely, but VR plays completely differently and is very excellent.

Old SuperHOT has the complexity of a mobile game and the interest of a spreadsheet. SuperHOT VR makes you Neo.

Moondrop

Banned
Tilt Brush is less MS Paint and more Mario Paint. It makes art fun again.
Clarification: MS Paint was mindblowingly fun back in the Windows 3.0 days. I meant that as praise. Mario Paint was cool too but it felt like the gameplay focus was music first, gnat mini-game second, art third. In my hazy memory MS Paint came much earlier but the internet says I'm misremembering.

Hm, interesting takes. Basically I'm looking for a shooting game that tries to be a bit more than a shooting gallery. Arizona Sunshine doesn't have two-handed weapons does it?

It has two handed firearms but no melee weapons like swords, you can throw an axe if you find one but it's rare.

Actual "progressing through level shooting games" from a start point to an end point, are also rare in general. If you dismiss the games where you use melee and archery or where you are warped to predefined positions (wave/on rail shooting games) etc. Then you have quite a few more of varying quality.

I only know of:

Arizona Sunshine
Dark Legion VR
Dead Effect 2 VR
Serious Sam first and second encounter
Syren (not the best reputation)
Aeon (I'm not sure it has a campaign like structure though)
-
Doom 3 BFG (mod)
-
And of course Oculus games playable through ReVive:
Robo Recall
Damaged Core ( I think you can move around here via teleportation)

Out of those I've only played Arizona Sunshine, need to get to the other games soon, minus the oculus games which I'm not interested in.

You can shoot guns in Vertigo but I wouldn't call it a shooting game per se, you have that level progression tho... you actually shoot quite a lot in this game when I think about it.

Maybe other people know more games of that category, I haven't really looked for them specifically. Not sure if Raw Data belongs to that or is more of a Sairento VR kind of game.

Awesome, thanks for the info Auto-Reply.

I'm kind of just looking for something to tide me over until Fallout. My VR game collection has gotten stale. I'm really looking forward to playing the new H3 update though!

Wardancer

Neo Member
Arizona Sunshine does not have 2h weapons, you dualwield everything including the shotgun and mp5. It does have 2-3 instances where you use a sniper rifle that you cannot carry with you.

low-G

Clarification: MS Paint was mindblowingly fun back in the Windows 3.0 days. I meant that as praise. Mario Paint was cool too but it felt like the gameplay focus was music first, gnat mini-game second, art third. In my hazy memory MS Paint came much earlier but the internet says I'm misremembering.

I got MS Paint on Win 3.0 (3.1 was out at the time though), but the person who set up our family PC pirated us a copy of Photoshop, so there's that.

I'd already had Mario Paint for 1.5 years at that point too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom