• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
That's kinda weird. Is the shipping address on the HTC email correct? I ask because I've read a couple of people had to correct their addresses that somehow got changed.

Yup. I always ship to my parents place because they live in a quiet suburb while I live in a crowded condo where kids have been known to steal packages. That means I have to spend all wednesday at my folks place waiting to sign the package. I work from home while they work outside of their home, so unless I go wait there noone will be around to sign.

Animator

Yeah. I plan on paying full price for The Gallery and Audioshield, whatever it may be. Unfortunately a lot of the games I'm interested in with the pricing announced (Brookhaven Experiement, #SelfieTennis, Windlands) are asking $20 for something that looks too bare bones to justify the price.

Since it is Steam you can always buy and refund if you feel it is not worth the money they are asking for it as long as you have less than 2hrs of playtime.

kaskade

Come on guys alot of you are getting yours this week and think you have it hard. Just feel bad for us may shipments. (I changed from oculus to vive about a month ago). The only thing that keeps me going is impressions.
I just ordered today and may is my date. I'm gonna just expect it to be May 31st.

taoofjord

Added to my personal list! I see it's available tomorrow, will it be free? Why do you think it should be the first experience?

It's like a two minute experience but next to Tilt Brush it was my favorite of the demos I tried during the Vive tour last fall. The graphics look fantastic and it's very immersive and awe-inspiring. Check the requirements though, they're higher than the typical game.

Krejlooc

Banned
First thing I am trying is windlands for sure.

I have also installed minecraft for the first time since I had my dk1. Back then I played it using razer hydras and thought it was amazing, but the low resolution, lack of positional headtracking, and most of all, the clutter and wires caused by the hydras made me shelve it until the tech got right. Now that minecrift has vive support, the time to jump back in is right.

I'm thinking about piling on some of those extreme graphics mods - make minecraft look crazy good - then diving back in with vr.

Added to my personal list! I see it's available tomorrow, will it be free? Why do you think it should be the first experience?
1- Free
2- You focus on the VR and not how to play what are the controls. Because it's an "experience".
3- the controllers DO do something. You can swat at fish. You wave it around and air bubbles appear like you're underwater. It adds to the prescense while again not taking away your first experience with uh how do I play?
4- you go from real world 0 to 100% VR omg instantly. Distance. Field of view. Height?! (Look up) and for the brave, depth (look down over the edge).
5- a great sense of scale. Lol spoilers.
6- it's short. Compacted burst of VR that gets you ready and pumped for everything VR has to offer.
7- It's a subject matter everyone should understand. See the portal demo and how the thread title was deleted and changed because not everyone will understand that. This is something you can show anyone and everyone and they will understand it. It's universal.
8- personal- the menu and balloons and chaperone was cool. Then "ok we are going to start the first demo". BAM. I'm in another world. I look around and fuck everywhere I look is this game. I am in this fucking game. It's why I 100% agreed with the "Just tried it. Holy shit. HOLY SHIT." Post and hoped that would be the OT title.

Everyone should start with this. Every time you show a friend or relative this should be their first experience. There's a reason why HTC demod this first to everyone last year and why it's the demo for the CNN video (even though it failed there lol) everyone should play this first.

I'm way overhyping it but I have to so you (all) will believe me and do it first. This post will probably take away from your experience but it will still be a better first experience than anything else.

It's like a two minute experience but next to Tilt Brush it was my favorite of the demos I tried during the Vive tour last fall. The graphics look fantastic and it's very immersive and awe-inspiring. Check the requirements though, they're higher than the typical game.

1- Free
2- You focus on the VR and not how to play what are the controls. Because it's an "experience".
3- the controllers DO do something. You can swat at fish. You wave it around and air bubbles appear like you're underwater. It adds to the prescense while again not taking away your first experience with uh how do I play?
4- you go from real world 0 to 100% VR omg instantly. Distance. Field of view. Height?! (Look up) and for the brave, depth (look down over the edge).
5- a great sense of scale. Lol spoilers.
6- it's short. Compacted burst of VR that gets you ready and pumped for everything VR has to offer.
7- personal- the menu and balloons and chaperone was cool. Then "ok we are going to start the first demo". BAM. I'm in another world. I look around and fuck everywhere I look is this game. I am in this fucking game. It's why I 100% agreed with the "Just tried it. Holy shit. HOLY SHIT." Post and hoped that would be the OT title.

Everyone should start with this. Every time you show a friend or relative this should be their first experience. There's a reason why HTC demod this first to everyone last year and why it's the demo for the CNN video (even though it failed there lol) everyone should play this first.

I'm way overhyping it but I have to so you (all) will believe me and do it first. This post will probably take away from your experience but it will still be a better first experience than anything else.

Alright, I'm convinced! TheBlu will be my first Vive experience. I have a 980ti and a 4690k, so I should be good right? I do see it recommends a new i7.

Probably? You should be fine I expect the requirements are for their new other things you can pay for. They look like they will use a lot of light graphics (going to the dark place with glowing jellyfish?)and or fast tons of particles (riding with turtles like finding memo?)

I HOPE encounter won't be that needy on requirements we will find out in a day or two lol I have no idea how it could want more power than the robot repair demo test everyone runs. It's not graphically intensive, my causal gamer self believes.

Durante

The developers of The Blu stated that they have only tested its performance sufficiently on their dev systems, so that's why they put those up as the requirements. They will refine those after feedback.

Cimarron

Just got my shipping confirmation!!!!!! I live on the East Coast.Now I have to spend all night prepping my 'Holo-Deck" room since I spent the weekend sulking like a man-baby because I didn't get a email. It's about to get real my friends!

Got my shipping email and tracking. :02 conf email. North East USA. Arriving 4/6. :). So stoked and relieved. Gimme dat sweet holodeck goodness!

I love you all and good luck to those who still await news. May your Vives arrive soon.

Soi-Fong

One punch man op in Auduoshield on hard = HOLYFUCK!!

The dev repository got a bunch of new games for us devs to play!!! :D

jaypah

After the shock of my wife sneak ordering the Vive has worn off I am now coming to grips with my May shipping date. Fucking May? Ugh, the wait will be unbearable!

Mid-west (Illinois) and still nothing. I'm trying to be patient...I still have other games to play! It's all good, I can wait if it isn't here tomorrow. It's fine! Really! *cries uncontrollably*

Helznicht

970 am cry?

I'm starting to worry if my 8' X 6.5' open space in my home office is enough room. I could move the couch out at get more space I guess. OR I could build another PC and put it in my game room or living room. I'm sure my wife won't go for that one though.

I'm starting to worry if my 8' X 6.5' open space in my home office is enough room. I could move the couch out at get more space I guess. OR I could build another PC and put it in my game room or living room. I'm sure my wife won't go for that one though.
That's more than enough room.

Cartman86

Banned

It's "enough" for a good number of games, but you'll always want more if it's possible. Obviously 40x40 would be great, but it's not possible. But 10x10? You will always have the thought in the back of your mind while playing of making more space if it's something that is theoretically possible. Some people don't want to hear this but it's true.

Onemic

I don't know how to reiterate this more strongly. Everyone should do TheBlu: encounter as their first VR Vive experience. Everyone. OP should have it in OP as huge banner linking to the free experience. Instead it's not even mentioned.

This isn't even a thing to argue. Yes yes all the other programs are great to play and use forever. But your first experience? 100% should be TheBlu.

Only problem is that the system requirements for the thing are stupid. THis is why Im trying to make my PC way beyond the minimum because I already knew games would go way over. 32gb of RAM and an i7-5930K is insane.(32GB is recommended but still)

taoofjord

Do we know the cut off time for first wave? The lack of communication fr HTC has been lackluster to say the least.

From what I can tell there aren't waves and Vives will be shipping out regularly.

And FYI, I'm an :03 and haven't gotten shipped yet so I imagine the early folks will still get shipped in the next couple days if not today.

spannicus

I'm not fully up to speed here. Why did you have to do this? Is it best to go through paypal?
Im stupid and woke up thinking that my rift would arrive first, and the software wasnt there for the Vive. Unfortunate i now regret that decision. Paypal may be your best bet, hearing of all the processing problems with banks.

Karak

From what I can tell there aren't waves and Vives will be shipping out regularly.

And FYI, I'm an :03 and haven't gotten shipped yet so I imagine the early folks will still get shipped in the next couple days if not today.

Wait how do you l know your an :03?

Only problem is that the system requirements for the thing are stupid. THis is why Im trying to make my PC way beyond the minimum because I already knew games would go way over. 32gb of RAM and an i7-5930K is insane.(32GB is recommended but still)

It's free. Just try it.

Nibiru

Banned
Im stupid and woke up thinking that my rift would arrive first, and the software wasnt there for the Vive. Unfortunate i now regret that decision. Paypal may be your best bet, hearing of all the processing problems with banks.

Thanks for the tip man. Still on the fence but i'm about to jump lol.

Monger

Do we know the cut off time for first wave? The lack of communication fr HTC has been lackluster to say the least.

I don't know. I would have loved for mine to ship since they seemed to just jump over my state my state today like it's not even there, but considering it said they would start shipping on the 5th when I preordered I can't really get upset about it. They're sending them out and before the 5th, so I'm not sure what else they need to be communicating right now.

Already answered
The developers of The Blu stated that they have only tested its performance sufficiently on their dev systems, so that's why they put those up as the requirements. They will refine those after feedback.

The only thing that's stupid is them not really testing the minimum system requirements before just filling in those fields. But Steam probably required them to put something up there so people with Pre's could download the game for testing. It was probably easier and safer to just post the dev machine specs, rather than risk someone not being able to meet a theoretical minimum that could give them a bad experience.

So while waiting for my shipping notice, I have a question:
My graphic card (970) has only one hdmi, that I use to hook my pc to a tv through a soundbar.What's my best option to setup my future Vive? DVI to hdmi?

TheBlu. Someone found a reply from the devs about specs:
Hey folks:

wanted to weigh in with some more info about why the min spec is what it is on our store page.

We originally posted our workstation specs as our Min Spec because we haven't had a lot of time to evaluate our performance on lower or even alternate spec systems.

Our current plan post-launch is to try and bring theBlu in line with HTC's recommended minimum spec for the Vive, so that anyone who has a Vive will be able to enjoy theBlu, but we're not quite there yet.

Anecdotally, we've heard/seen performance run mostly fine at i5 4590 / GTX 970 / 4 GB RAM, but with some frame issues in a small part of the experience. VR being what is, we want to make sure we get it right before we commit to supporting the lower spec, as we want to maintain the best sense of Presence possible in the experience.
They didn't source it so I can't either.

Evo X

People in California are already receiving their Vives today and I don't even have a shipping update. Life is unfair.

viveks86

My shipment has reached Oakland, CA. An hour's drive away. But ETA is still Wednesday?! Is there anything I can do about it? I'll totally drive down if they will hold it there for me :/

I can't believe more people aren't talking about windlands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-T_s9L2I8

I keep watching this over and over again. I think this looks like the best game of the launch lineup tbh. The level design at the end looks great.

Yeah I liked the node video of this. Wouldn't this make people sick easily though?

XRA

Neo Member
So while waiting for my shipping notice, I have a question:
My graphic card (970) has only one hdmi, that I use to hook my pc to a tv through a soundbar.What's my best option to setup my future Vive? DVI to hdmi?

are there any display port outputs on the card? the Vive link box also has a mini display port plug, so you could use a male Display port to male mini display port cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom