• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
are there any display port outputs on the card? the Vive link box also has a mini display port plug, so you could use a male Display port to male mini display port cable

Much apreciated, thx. Yeah, the card is an MSI gtx 970, it does have a displayport, so you're proposition sounds like the best solution. Will order a cable right away, who knows I might recieve the Vive before I know it (one can hope)

Much apreciated, thx. Yeah, the card is an MSI gtx 970, it does have a displayport, so you're proposition sounds like the best solution. Will order a cable right away, who knows I might recieve the Vive before I know it (one can hope)

I have an MSi GTX 970 too. Overclocks like a champ.

I can't believe more people aren't talking about windlands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-T_s9L2I8

I keep watching this over and over again. I think this looks like the best game of the launch lineup tbh. The level design at the end looks great.

Oh wow, thank you for posting that. I had basically zero interest in Windlands, and I can immediately see why.

1. I'd only seen people play that are really bad at the game
2. I'd only seen said people play on the Rift with a gamepad

I'll definitely be playing it now that I've seen it with the Vive controllers.

Krejlooc

Banned
aig6qSO.gif

6IfEKE9.gif

7qnFKP5.gif

taco543

Oh wow, thank you for posting that. I had basically zero interest in Windlands, and I can immediately see why.

1. I'd only seen people play that are really bad at the game
2. I'd only seen said people play on the Rift with a gamepad

I'll definitely be playing it now that I've seen it with the Vive controllers.
Yeah I was looking forward to playing it, the only thing I've been hearing from people because of the way you move people are becoming motion sick playing it. But if you play it enough and get your "vr legs" it becomes insanily enjoyable.

Still amazes me tha Windland, despite its crazy motions, would not make me sick on the DK2. Will probably be amazing with motion controls.

The one thing with Windlands is that there's a lot of grappling toward things, running into them, and kind of awkwardly climbing up onto them. That might be something that goes away with experience or improved level design, but it does look clunky.

Krejlooc

Banned
The one thing with Windlands is that there's a lot of grappling toward things, running into them, and kind of awkwardly climbing up onto them. That might be something that goes away with experience or improved level design, but it does look clunky.

it looks like something that rewards you the better you get at it. Once you get good enough to start memorizing the course and planning best routes, I could see it getting intense in the same way Mario 64 or Sonic the Hedgehog gets intense once you get in the groove.

I wonder if speed runs will emerge for that game, where the best players will be the most physically dexterous and fit.

Krejlooc

Banned
I desperately want a Spiderman Game now.

Seeing Windlands makes me want Spiderman VR, badly.

Just about to post this.

It makes me want Bionic Commando. Make each hand both a grappling hook and a gun depending on which input you press. Then fill the levels with badguys. Imagine swinging from arm to arm like tarzan while popping off bad guys with your free hand.

Bionic Commando 360/PS3 was so much fun once you got the swinging mechanic down. It'd be downright transcendent in VR.

Oh, hai guys, I guess now wouldn't be a good time to post...

fedex.gif

giphy.gif

FedEx-Fail-GIF-07-compressor.gif

FedEx-Fail-GIF-04-compressor.gif

FedEx-Fail-GIF-06-compressor.gif

The fact that I am an April second waver certainly has nothing to do with this! ‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

kaskade

It would be nice if a lot of these games had demos because of the potential for motion sickness. I guess you could do a steam refund though.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh, hai guys, I guess now wouldn't be a good time to post...

fedex.gif

giphy.gif

FedEx-Fail-GIF-07-compressor.gif

FedEx-Fail-GIF-04-compressor.gif

FedEx-Fail-GIF-06-compressor.gif

The fact that I am an April second waver certainly has nothing to do with this! ‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

gotta sign for delivery. If the dude punts it at me and tries to get me to sign, there will be blood

Krejlooc

Banned
It would be nice if a lot of these games had demos because of the potential for motion sickness. I guess you could do a steam refund though.

You'll know within minutes if something is going to make you sick, although you can sort of condition yourself to get better at it. So if the feeling is very mild, you might consider holding on and seeing if you can eventually steel your stomach. Otherwise, if you immediately know it's making you sick, that's precisely what Steam Refund is there for.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am so incredibly jealous of everyone that can afford this. Wish I coulda bagged an extra project this month but times is tough :(

It makes me want Bionic Commando. Make each hand both a grappling hook and a gun depending on which input you press. Then fill the levels with badguys. Imagine swinging from arm to arm like tarzan while popping off bad guys with your free hand.

Bionic Commando 360/PS3 was so much fun once you got the swinging mechanic down. It'd be downright transcendent in VR.

Or Attack on Titan VR. Can you imagine something with the speed of that fangame but in first person. Barf comet potentital but would be so amazing.

Animator

I just played a bunch of vive games.

A friendly company systems guy installed a bunch of demos and games on his steam account and let us try it on the vive pre the company owns (for non gaming purposes) . I just played:

Blu, Space pirate trainer, portal robot repair demo and the sculpting thing.

I have been gaming since c64. And I have tried the rift before with various games and I have never, NEVER had anything like the experience I had with room scale VR. Anybody who says seated VR is "good enough" is flat out lying.

I also realized something after trying these games. You will never be able to explain to people what it feels like, and I can't emphasize this enough you cannot, you simply CANNOT understand what the experience is like watching a 2d video of the game played in VR. Most of these games I was pretty meh on just hours ago saying "these look like ps1 games and boring" is mind blowing when you are in VR. I cannot wait for you guys to get yours and try it out.

I will go into more detail later but the tracking of the controllers will never stop being amazing. It is seriously impressive and a little freaky how accurately the controllers are tracked. It is also immediately natural using them to interact with the vr world. I had coworkers who tried it just now and they have ever even seen a vive before and they were using the controllers like they have used them for years after 10 seconds. They become your hands in the vr world and your brain immediately gets used to them.

I am now insanely depressed that I have to wait till may. Those of you getting yours this week have no idea how lucky you are.

One last thing: I would think twice about playing horror games in VR. At the very least make sure you are not gonna hit anything if you fall. You guys will see what I mean when you try it. :)

I got my shipping notification hours after I got my tracking information from FedEx. May that be a bit of good news for anyone who's still freaking out. It may already be shipped. :D

Bsigg12

I'm still pissed off I somehow missed the first wave.

Does anyone have any idea when the second wave may be starting?

A friendly company systems guy installed a bunch of demos and games on his steam account and let us try it on the vive pre the company owns (for non gaming purposes) . I just played:

I have been gaming since c64. And I have tried the rift before with various games and I have never, NEVER had anything like the experience I had with room scale VR. Anybody who says seated VR is "good enough" is flat out lying.

I also realized something after trying these games. You will never be able to explain to people what it feels like, and I can't emphasize this enough you cannot, you simply CANNOT understand what the experience is like watching a 2d video of the game played in VR. Most of these games I was pretty meh on just hours ago saying "these look like ps1 games and boring" is mind blowing when you are in VR. I cannot wait for you guys to get yours and try it out.

I will go into more detail later but the tracking of the controllers will never stop being amazing. It is seriously impressive and a little freaky how accurately the controllers are tracked. It is also immediately natural using them to interact with the vr world. I had coworkers who tried it just now and they have ever even seen a vive before and they were using the controllers like they have used them for years after 10 seconds. They become your hands in the vr world and your brain immediately gets used to them.

I am now insanely depressed that I have to wait till may. Those of you getting yours this week have no idea how lucky you are.

One last thing: I would think twice about playing horror games in VR. At the very least make sure you are not gonna hit anything if you fall. You guys will see what I mean when you try it. :)

one+piece+luffy+anime+gif.gif

Howwwww? I gave them a call and they refuse to hold it for me to pick up! :'(

I told the customer service rep that work is crazy and I can guarantee I won't be home in time to sign for the package. He said it's at the local facility now waiting to be shipped tomorrow. Said they don't close til six and that I should just go pick it up. So I did! :D

Fyi, this box is bigger than expected. Lol

TheCrow

stop-stop.gif

I can't take anymore

kaskade

That's good to hear. I'm buying mine based on impressions like this. It is weird spending so much without even trying it. I do find myself sometimes looking at videos and being like is this really going to be all that fun? I must trust in the experience.

"No one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Yes this is the issue of VR. Imagine someone like myself having this issue since September (PAX Prime), for 7 months now. Imagine others who tried the Vive even earlier.

Man those impressions...it's like I wanna get a demo of it at the local MS Store but at the same time I kinda don't, feel like it'll make the wait till I get mine all the more unbearable. Knowing it's just a completely different ballgame than seated vr in terms of immersion, damn. Hurry up and get here May!

edit: This looks so fun

Animator

Yes this is the issue of VR. Imagine someone like myself having this issue since September (PAX Prime), for 7 months now. Imagine others who tried the Vive even earlier.

Yea it is kinda depressing knowing you can never accurately describe or show the experience.

Like take the sculpting app for example. It looks like utter ASS in the video. I was agreeing with people in this thread a couple hours ago saying how it looks like a ripoff for the $15 they are asking for it. Then I tried it in VR and it is a whole new experience. All you do is spray paint cubes and throw rockets at them to blow them up but holy shit I was laughing like a kid and crawling on the floor looking at this sculpture I built from all angles. You are in that world when you can move like that it is not a passive "I am looking at this through a screen or through glasses" experience, you ARE there.

I am already dreaming how awesome it would be to have a weighted pistol/AR controller with force feedback as you shoot and play a good shooting game with it.

Seriously you guys who will try this for the first time is so damn lucky, I wish I could be there to see your expressions.

You said you tried TheBlu. Was it the first thing you tried? If not, when? Any comments on it? If you saw my post, do you agree it should be the first thing a new Vive user should run?

Animator

You said you tried TheBlu. Was it the first thing you tried? If not, when? Any comments on it? If you saw my post, do you agree it should be the first thing a new Vive user should run?

Yea that was the first thing I tried. It looks absolutely incredible. And agreed that would be the first thing I show to someone trying vr for the first time.

Don't read this if you havent played it:

My back was turned to the whale and when I first turned around and saw it I had to take a couple steps back in surprise. It is so amazing the first time you realize you can walk to the edge of the ship , lean and look down it is when I went "the future is going to be fucking amazing" :)

Any of you worried about getting tangled in the wire and pulling your PC off the desk? If I decide to buy one I will be playing it in a room alone, nobody there to warn me if my dumb ass is about to destroy something.

pj

Banned
Any of you worried about getting tangled in the wire and pulling your PC off the desk? If I decide to buy one I will be playing it in a room alone, nobody there to warn me if my dumb ass is about to destroy something.

People who have had access to vives for a while say it's best to play with no shoes on and shorts if possible. The more your body is aware of the cable, the less likely you are to get tangled up in it.

The breakout box should also act as a buffer between your computer and any uh-ohs that may happen

Fret

even if you do trip on the cord it goes to a link box, not directly into your computer, so its actually quite safe

People who have had access to vives for a while say it's best to play with no shoes on and shorts if possible. The more your body is aware of the cable, the less likely you are to get tangled up in it.

The breakout box should also act as a buffer between your computer and any uh-ohs that may happen

So you're basically saying I should use it naked, got ya.

even if you do trip on the cord it goes to a link box, not directly into your computer, so its actually quite safe

What if the link box is the thing I break? I doubt they sell them individually yet.

I also keep imagining smashing one of the controllers against a wall by accident whilst sword fighting.

Animator

This is a real problem. You need to mind the cable at all times or you will get tangled with it and can fall or pull it off your desk. Some of this stuff is so immersive you forget the cable. Basically set it up with lots of slack and be careful.

Cartman86

Banned

What if the link box is the thing I break? I doubt they sell them individually yet.

I also keep imagining smashing one of the controllers against a wall by accident whilst sword fighting.

That will probably happen (don't know if it would break) if you don't put a buffer between the wall and your chaperon bounds. It's tempting to give yourself as much space for VR as possible, but you may accidently forget that wall is there, but more likely people who come over to try it out will forget (I've been the friend who didn't realize before).

Monger

Yes, you could also accidentally put a controller in the dishwasher after using it to hold an ice cream cone.

Put the link box on the floor or secure it. Use the chaperone boundaries to not smash things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom