• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more

jorma

is now taking requests
GarthVaderUK said:
Surely not when only Dire agreed to the ban bet. Or can anyone force other users/sites into ban bets these days? Seems silly.

last i heard, ban bets werent enforced at all any more

chandoog said:
you can be sure if there had been a price drop people would have been calling for his account as well. So it's only fair.

But Dire proposed the ban bet, so he agreed to be banned if there was a price drop. dpad never agreed on the bet, so it would be very unfair to ban them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Spider_Jerusalem said:
But Dire proposed the ban bet, so he agreed to be banned if there was a price drop. dpad never agreed on the bet, so it would be very unfair to ban them.

bish > you or I.

so.

bye D-pad.

Roquentin

D+PAD Ed said:
* Price cuts coming in March

Our source tells us that SCEE President David Reeves took to the stage to discuss the current economic climate and how it shouldn’t affect PlayStation business, though was quick to mention that SCEE will be getting more competitive on price from March 2009 onwards. Our guess is that we’ll be seeing price cuts to PS3 around Easter to tie in with the release of Killzone 2…
Rumor about price cut in March turned out to be true. PS3 price cut is only a speculation (and I think quite logical) based on what their source told them.

Spiegel

BiasedGamer said:
Rumor about price cut in March turned out to be true. PS3 price cut is only a speculation (and I think quite logical) based on what their source told them.

Yeah, their source got everything right. Banning D+Pad would be unfair.

adamsapple

there-will-be-blood-poster.jpg

faust666

Not to mention somebody else forgot to specify which console would get the price cut in order for the ban to take place

Dire said:
Ban bet: me versus censoring the dpad domain name if they don't cut the price in March? :D

Bye Dire :p

adamsapple

oh snap, upon re-reading of the original article, seems d-pad never mentioned ps3 as confirmed at all, and only speculated on it. :lol

guess i owe Spider_Jerusalem something of an apology.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think D-Pad more than delivered.

It's rare in fact to get such accurate insight so far in advance.

* LittleBigPlanet PSP has been in development for 4 months
* MotorStorm is coming to PSP
* Price cuts coming in March
* PS3 outperforming 360 in PAL territories
* PSN getting huge investment
* Uncharted 2 coming - Aztec location?
* God of War 3 looking amazing

All of these were correct, really (in terms of relaying correctly what was said at that conference).

The only thing 'wrong' was the speculation about the nature of the March price cuts (being PS3 vs PS2). That was all purely speculation. They reported Reeves as saying that SCEE would get more price competitive from March..they didn't report Reeves as saying there would be a PS3 cut in March. A dose of common sense for the reader would have suggested that PS3 cuts this early in the year was very unlikely.

duckroll

* Price cuts coming in March, PS3 performing better in Europe than 360

Our source tells us that SCEE President David Reeves took to the stage to discuss the current economic climate and how it shouldn’t affect PlayStation business, though was quick to mention that SCEE will be getting more competitive on price from March 2009 onwards. Our guess is that we’ll be seeing price cuts to PS3 around Easter to tie in with the release of Killzone 2…

Let's see.....

1) User bumps old thread to call out on ban bet
2) Article promises SCEE price cuts in March
3) PS2 gets price cut in March from SCEA and SCEE
4) Article takes a GUESS that the price cut is for PS3, but does not promise
5) .....
6) Profit?

thaOwner

duckroll said:
Let's see.....

1) User bumps old thread to call out on ban bet
2) Article promises SCEE price cuts in March
3) PS2 gets price cut in March from SCEA and SCEE
4) Article takes a GUESS that the price cut is for PS3, but does not promise
5) .....
6) Profit?

:lol :lol

Duckroll for president.

Yoboman

Dire bet against the possibility of PS3 dropping in price, not there being a price drop in general. I declare a stalemate

Good game.

Tideas

Banned
Yoboman said:
Dire bet against the possibility of PS3 dropping in price, not there being a price drop in general. I declare a stalemate

Good game.

this person is correct. Dire made a bet that the PS3 won't drop in price. he is correct. D pad made a post saying there is a price drop in March, GUESSIng that it might be the PS3, but never saying it WILL be the PS3.

Therefore, stalemate.

but GAF wants blood.

FirewalkR

Tideas said:
this person is correct. Dire made a bet that the PS3 won't drop in price. he is correct. D pad made a post saying there is a price drop in March, GUESSIng that it might be the PS3, but never saying it WILL be the PS3.

Therefore, stalemate.

but GAF wants blood.

I don't want blood, I'm just curious to see the new funny tag I predict (but don't ban bet) bishoptl or duckroll are gonna give Dire. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I see only 1 solution, reverse the ban bet and put that ass on dire. A week or so. take that tag away and redeem me for bringing this to your attention. Now there's a reason for that......................................................................!

iceatcs

No worries from now. I though they are going to ban some url.

Reason I said it because most of the time Gaf-->Kotaku-->Gaf, but that was old time. They seems now little better and careful at the moment.

AndyD

aka andydumi
i_am_ben said:
the excitement is palpable!

Who will it be.....

Its a tough one, but Gaf can smell the blood now. Maybe ban both for a single day, since they were both sort of wrong and sort of right?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I came here expecting blood running through GAFs intrawebs... I am disapointed... though I agree no one is at fault...

Off with their heads anyway!

Dire

So I guess there's officially no price drop at all.

I have no problem with D+ in particular. But I think they are sensationalizing (and hopefully just sensationalizing) to generate revenue for their site. The OP did mention to take everything as a rumor until otherwise stated, but that little disclaimed was quite far into the post and unclear at a quick perusal of their "HUGE blowout" leak.

I'd obviously have never made the bet if this thread was entitled: "RUMOR: HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more", but the fact that these were rumors and speculation and not actual facts was quite unclear.

And D+ was more than happy to propagate the rumors, with the connotation of this post, his only since this thread was made, implying that he did indeed have some super reliable inside information on an inevitable price drop back when the rumor mill was spinning about a March price drop.

It seems to me that if somebody is providing links to their own "exclusive" information on their revenue generating site/blog/etc then it should be stated very clearly (as in the RUMOR: .... thread title) that it is nothing more than a rumor if they're not willing to risk their site's name on it.

But they didn't say it was going to be a PS3 price drop. They said "our guess..." if you read the first post. Other than that, everything was a genuine leak as everything he talked about was actually announced shortly after. That should make him reliable in that kind of rumors.

Now, can a mod lock this thread and prevent it from being bumped anymore?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Dire said:

I have no problem with D+ in particular. But I think they are sensationalizing (and hopefully just sensationalizing) to generate revenue for their site. The OP did mention to take everything as a rumor until otherwise stated, but that little disclaimed was quite far into the post and unclear at a quick perusal of their "HUGE blowout" leak.

I'd obviously have never made the bet if this thread was entitled: "RUMOR: HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more", but the fact that these were rumors and speculation and not actual facts was quite unclear.

And D+ was more than happy to propagate the rumors, with the connotation of this post, his only since this thread was made, implying that he did indeed have some super reliable inside information on an inevitable price drop back when the rumor mill was spinning about a March price drop.

It seems to me that if somebody is providing links to their own "exclusive" information on their revenue generating site/blog/etc then it should be stated very clearly (as in the RUMOR: .... thread title) that it is nothing more than a rumor if they're not willing to risk their site's name on it.

They were right though. You tried to call them out and it backfired.

You don't have to click on their "sensational" thread. I personally like rumours and after they got these ones spot on, I will be more inclined to believe them in the future.

Roquentin

Dire said:
There was a price drop.

Dire said:
Sensationalizing? He stated right upfront that it was a leak and should be considered a rumor. It was written more like a report with some speculations, and it was clear which part is a report and which one is a speculation.

The bottom line is, the leak turned out to be real. Be a man and admit your mistake.

Cruzader

Banned
BiasedGamer said:
There was a price drop.

Sensationalizing? He stated right upfront that it was a leak and should be considered a rumor. It was written more like a report with some speculations, and it was clear which part is a report and which one is a speculation.

The bottom line is, the leak turned out to be real. Be a man and admit your mistake.

I love how he ignores all the things they got right.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I used to really like The Young and the GAFless but this last season has been shitty.

too many childish antics, not nearly enough blood

mr_nothin

Banned
Dire said:

You're a little slow arent you?
You're just in denial...they got everything right except their 'guess'...they did have a super reliable source (as it turned out). Just give it up.

You're trying too hard in this thread. Trying to have forum rules changed/added and all that.....*sigh*

There were price drops....in NA and in Yurope so nah!

Shurs

xiked said:
impressed that Dpad was so accurate. well done. now let see some blood :p

Seriously?

It seems like they were off on a few of things.

1-Media Molecule is working on Little Big Planet for PSP? No mention that it is really being developed by another studio with some help from Media Molecule.

2-Aztec Masks in Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 is not taking place in Central/South America.

3-The mention of a price cut was specifically about a PS3 price cut. Not a PS2 price cut. Granted, it said around Easter, so we're not there yet, but those of you calling claiming that the PS2 price cut somehow redeems D+Pad's rumor are stretching a bit.

I don't think the D+Pad post is horrible or "banned site" worthy (and that's not my decision to make) but it certainly isn't spot on.

Tideas

Banned
Shurs said:
Seriously?

2-Aztec Masks in Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 is not taking place in Central/South America.

You dont know this.

Haunted

Clearly, the only acceptable outcome is to ban Dire, D+pad, everyone with a reference to a d-pad in their name or avatar, and everyone who's ever used a d-pad before.

Haunted said:
Clearly, the only acceptable outcome is to ban Dire, D+pad, everyone with a reference to a d-pad in their name or avatar, and everyone who's ever used a d-pad before.
Sounds like the only solution. We must Cleanse this forum of the filth this thread has created.

Shurs said:
Seriously?

1-Media Molecule is working on Little Big Planet for PSP? No mention that it is really being developed by another studio with some help from Media Molecule.

Both games were unannouced at that time, and they were announced shortly after. Same with GOWIII and MotorStorm Arctic Edge. Even if some details are wrong, it still deserves credit.

3-The mention of a price cut was specifically about a PS3 price cut. Not a PS2 price cut. Granted, it said around Easter, so we're not there yet, but those of you calling claiming that the PS2 price cut somehow redeems D+Pad's rumor are stretching a bit.
It said that SCEE would get more competitive. SCEE also means PS2. The Easter thing and a PS3 price cut was just a guess rather than a quote from SCEE.

I don't think the D+Pad post is horrible or "banned site" worthy (and that's not my decision to make) but it certainly isn't spot on.

It's more than respectable for such a big leak, even if some insignificant details were off.

Top Bottom