• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hungry Man's New Chicken & Waffles Entree

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

5827620290_full.jpg

Saw this at the g-store yesterday. I didn't end up picking it up. I think the only variety I really like is the bone-in fried chicken, which I think is actually reshaped chicken patties on a bone most likely, but it's still pretty tasty and the bone gives you the illusion of eating something really. OTOH, I never did much like how the corn inevitably mixed in with the brownie.

Anyone try this or have other Hungry Man memories to share?

Just for fun, here's the list of ingredients @_@

Boneless Fried Chicken Patties (Cooked White Meat Chicken, Water, Enriched Flour [Wheat Flour (Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)], Vegetable Oil [Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (Tbhq And Citric Acid to Preserve Freshness), And/Or Cottonseed Oil], Soy Protein Concentrate, Isolated Oat Product, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Monosodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Spice Extract), Mashed Potatoes (Reconstituted Potatoes [Mono- And Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophospate, Citric Acid], Margarine [Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil With Tbhq And Citric Acid As Preservatives, Water, Mono And Diglycerides (BHT, Citric Acid), Beta-Carotene For Color (Corn Oil, Tocopherol), Vitamin A Palmitate], Dried Dairy Blend [Whey, Calcium Caseinate], Salt, Water), Cranberry Apple Dessert (Water, Sugar, Cranberries, Dehydrated Apples, Modified Food Starch, Dehydrated Apples [Calcium Stearate], Orange Peel [Water, Citric Acid], Vanilla Extract [Vanilla Bean Extractives, Corn Syrup, Ethyl Alcohol, Water], Compote Seasoning [Spice, Dextrose, Spice Extractive]), Table Syrup (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Sugar, Salt, Methylcellulose, Molasses, Maple Type Syrup Flavor [Water, Caramel Color, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Corn Syrup, Flavors, Artificial Flavors, Molasses, Lactic Acid, Ammoniated Glycyrrhizin And Sulfites], Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Caramel Color, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid), Waffles (Waffle Batter [Water, Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)], Soybean Oil, Whey, Sugar, Leavening [Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda], Whole Eggs, Calcium Chloride, Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Corn Starch, Colored With Yellow 5 And Yellow 6, Fortified With [Reduced Iron, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Cyanocobalamin [Vitamin B12]), Natural And Artificial Flavor [Dextrose, Corn Starch, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Water, Alcohol], Soy Flour [Soy Flour, Soybean Oil, Soy Lecithin]), Contains 2% of Less of: Margarine (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil With Tbhq And Citric Acid As Preservatives, Water, Mono- And Diglycerides [BHT, Citric Acid], Beta Carotene For Color [Corn Oil, Tocopherol], Vitamin A Palmitate).

maxcriden

I try to avoid overly processed foods like this. So.. nah. But it won't kill you and probably tastes good.

I really wonder how expensive the product would be if it were just pure breaded chicken, waffles and all "real" foods. I'd gladly pay $6-7 for it.

Holy crap that's a lot of ingredients. So how is it?

Edited the OP for clarity. I didn't end up purchasing it. :)

maxcriden

Same here, man. Id buy it.

Closest thing I see is like those Kashi dinners which have a bunch of fake/filler stuff in them, the EVOL ones which are really insubstantial but have fewer fake ingredients, and the Amy's which are the GOAT frozen entrees but are all vegetarian.

ItIsOkBro

Boneless Fried Chicken Patties (Cooked White Meat Chicken, Water, Enriched Flour [Wheat Flour (Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)], Vegetable Oil [Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (Tbhq And Citric Acid to Preserve Freshness), And/Or Cottonseed Oil], Soy Protein Concentrate, Isolated Oat Product, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Monosodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Spice Extract), Mashed Potatoes (Reconstituted Potatoes [Mono- And Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophospate, Citric Acid], Margarine [Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil With Tbhq And Citric Acid As Preservatives, Water, Mono And Diglycerides (BHT, Citric Acid), Beta-Carotene For Color (Corn Oil, Tocopherol), Vitamin A Palmitate], Dried Dairy Blend [Whey, Calcium Caseinate], Salt, Water), Cranberry Apple Dessert (Water, Sugar, Cranberries, Dehydrated Apples, Modified Food Starch, Dehydrated Apples [Calcium Stearate], Orange Peel [Water, Citric Acid], Vanilla Extract [Vanilla Bean Extractives, Corn Syrup, Ethyl Alcohol, Water], Compote Seasoning [Spice, Dextrose, Spice Extractive]), Table Syrup (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Sugar, Salt, Methylcellulose, Molasses, Maple Type Syrup Flavor [Water, Caramel Color, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Corn Syrup, Flavors, Artificial Flavors, Molasses, Lactic Acid, Ammoniated Glycyrrhizin And Sulfites], Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Caramel Color, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid), Waffles (Waffle Batter [Water, Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)], Soybean Oil, Whey, Sugar, Leavening [Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda], Whole Eggs, Calcium Chloride, Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Corn Starch, Colored With Yellow 5 And Yellow 6, Fortified With [Reduced Iron, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Cyanocobalamin [Vitamin B12]), Natural And Artificial Flavor [Dextrose, Corn Starch, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Water, Alcohol], Soy Flour [Soy Flour, Soybean Oil, Soy Lecithin]), Contains 2% of Less of: Margarine (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil With Tbhq And Citric Acid As Preservatives, Water, Mono- And Diglycerides [BHT, Citric Acid], Beta Carotene For Color [Corn Oil, Tocopherol], Vitamin A Palmitate).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I remember picking a hungry man dinner up one time. It was just some generic burger and fries. Pretty bad. Then I looked at the packaging - it was something like 120% of the daily saturated fat intake. First and last hungry man dinner I bought.
Ah yes I think it was this:
http://www.starling-fitness.com/wp-content/nutritionfacts.jpg
102% of your daily fat intake, 120% of saturated fat

norm9

I love the fried chicken hungry man dinners, mostly for nostalgic reasons. Next time I'm at the market I'm see if they have the chicken and waffles.

JBuccCP

I like to take the Sante Fe rice and beans michelinas and use it as a dip with tortilla chips. They're usually on sale for a dollar at Kroger.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Holy fuck that's a lot of ingredients.

it is different foods. The waffles, the chicken, syrup, mashed potatoes? and desert.

Not saying it's healthy, because it's far from it, but ingredient lists aren't that scary when you know what they are and how they have to be regulated.

maxcriden

it is different foods. The waffles, the chicken, syrup, mashed potatoes? and desert.

Not saying it's healthy, because it's far from it, but ingredient lists aren't that scary when you know what they are and how they have to be regulated.

I dunno. The fakeness just wigs me out some. I understand they're regulated, though.

Tesseract

Banned
ingredients aren't that bad, it's not something you eat every day

hungry man bbq prk, taters, veggies, and brownie is pretty good

25g of protein ain't bad, almost 1/7th my daily intake

DJ_Lae

I would try it. I bet it's kind of gross, though.

Also, I think the Maple Type Syrup Flavor is my favourite ingredient in that list. I don't know what weird approximation of maple it has to be for them to be required to include the word 'type' in there.

Lots of preservatives too for something that's frozen. Guess a shelf life of two years is probably better than one for these things.

Salt doesn't bother me as much. Drink more water.

maxcriden

Well, it's a TV dinner. Of course it's going to taste fake.lol

Waffles and fried chicken are not really hard to make.

Amy's would like a word. ;)

000032.jpg

ngredients : 0g Trans Fat/No Added MSG/No Preservatives Organic lasagna pasta (organic semolina flour, organic whole wheat flour, filtered water), organic tomato puree, ricotta cheese (pasteurized whey, pasteurized part-skim milk, vinegar, salt) filtered water, organic zucchini, organic spinach, part-skim mozzarella cheese (pasteurized part-skim milk, culture, salt, enzymes [without animal enzymes or rennet]), organic onions, organic carrots, organic extra virgin olive oil, basil, parmesan cheese (part-skim milk, culture, salt, enzymes [without animal enzymes or rennet]), organic grade AA butter (organic cream, salt), sea salt, organic garlic, black pepper, spices*. Contains wheat and milk.*100% pure herbs & spices (no hidden ingredients) - See more at: http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/entrees/000032#sthash.e0Vs53qm.dpuf

000278.jpg

ngredients : Filtered water, organic tomatillos, organic onions, organic corn masa (organic stoneground corn flour, trace of lime), Monterey Jack cheese (pasteurized milk, culture, salt, enzymes [without animal enzymes or rennet]), organic brown rice, organic black beans, organic green chiles, organic tomato puree, organic bell peppers, expeller pressed high oleic safflower and/or sunflower oil, organic garlic, sea salt, organic cane sugar, organic cilantro, spices, baking soda, organic distilled vinegar (gluten free), organic jalapeño peppers, black pepper. Contains milk. - See more at: http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/entrees/000278#sthash.YtiyEWEB.dpuf

I know this isn't the norm, but this is the kind of frozen dinner that I think should be commonplace, and not just for vegetarian fare. :)

way more

Oh god no, the chemicals!

chemical-phobia.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom