• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter gets crushed to death after elephant he shot falls on him

2MF

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/21/south-african-hunter-crushed-death-elephant/

A South African big game hunter died after being crushed by an elephant cow that had been shot on a game reserve in Zimbabwe at the weekend.

Theunis Botha, 51, was leading a hunt with clients when the group accidentally walked into the middle of a breeding herd of elephants at the Good Luck Farm near Hwange National Park late on Friday afternoon, Zimparks spokesman Mr Simukai Nyasha said.

Three of the elephant cows charged the hunters. Mr Botha fired a shot from his rifle but he was caught by surprise by a fourth cow that stormed them from the side, the Afrikaans news site Netwerk24 reported.

One of the hunters shot the elephant after she lifted Botha with her trunk.The elephant then collapsed on top of Mr Botha, who has five children with his wife Carike Botha.

Mr Botha was a highly regarded houndsman and frequently led leopard and lion hunting safaris with his pack of dogs.

(...)

ironic.gif

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it illegal to hunt elephants? And lions?

Even though I guess the original reason he was hunting was for the lions.

DiddyBop

Can't say I feel sorry for him, only because I feel if you are willing to kill, be it animals or humans, be ready and accept the fact that you mmay end up dead yourself

McBryBry

Were they hunting elephants? The quoted part makes it sound like they were hunting, ran into and startled elephants, then tried to defend from charging elephants when the guy got crushed.

Edit: seeing the pictures in article now tells me fuck this guy.

kingocfs

"The elephant then collapsed on top of Mr Botha, who has five children with his wife Carike Botha."

Now that is a poorly written sentence.

Sucks. I'm against hunting for sport but still, being crushed to death by an elephant is pretty shitty. And he left five kids without a father.

I guess you can call it karma/poetic justice, though.

Bessy67

Believe it or not legalized trophy hunting can be beneficial not only to the local economy but to the animals.

Is there such evidence? According to a 2005 paper by Nigel Leader-Williams and colleagues in the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy the answer is yes. Leader-Williams describes how the legalization of white rhinoceros hunting in South Africa motivated private landowners to reintroduce the species onto their lands. As a result, the country saw an increase in white rhinos from fewer than one hundred individuals to more than 11,000, even while a limited number were killed as trophies.
In a 2011 letter to Science magazine, Leader-Williams also pointed out that the implementation of controlled, legalized hunting was also beneficial for Zimbabwe’s elephants. “Implementing trophy hunting has doubled the area of the country under wildlife management relative to the 13% in state protected areas,” thanks to the inclusion of private lands, he says. “As a result, the area of suitable land available to elephants and other wildlife has increased, reversing the problem of habitat loss and helping to maintain a sustained population increase in Zimbabwe’s already large elephant population.” It is important to note, however, that the removal of mature elephant males can have other, detrimental consequences on the psychological development of younger males. And rhinos and elephants are very different animals, with different needs and behaviors.
Still, the elephants of Zimbabwe and the white rhinos of South Africa seem to suggest that it is possible for conservation and trophy hunting to coexist, at least in principle. It is indeed a tricky, but not impossible, balance to strike.
http://www.conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/

Poaching is obviously a whole other issue, but trophy hunting isn't necessarily as evil as some would have you think. Still not something I would want to do though.

Joni

Believe it or not legalized trophy hunting can be beneficial not only to the local economy but to the animals.

Unless of course the type of person shitty enough to shoot animals like this is also the type of person shitty enough to do illegal hunting because the thrill isn't high enough anymore.

VanWinkle

I don't feel a lot of sympathy for the guy, considering his profession, but I mean, in this case, they accidentally came upon a herd and were attacked.

So it's not like he snuck up and shot it and it fell on him or something.

Top Bottom