• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Maria - Puerto Rico without power and cleanup underway

GYODX

We're everywhere!

I've been in the states for years but grew up in Juana Diaz and only member of my family here so worried about all my folks back home.
I love downtown San Germán. It's the closest thing to Old San Juan in the west.

Edit: My mistake. I meant to write this to the dude from San Germán.

Isak_Borg

I love downtown San Germán. It's the closest thing to Old San Juan in the west.

Hated your basketball team growing up as a Leones fan but right now I hope you and yours are going to be okay. Between the economic troubles, hurricanes, and systemic poverty we are going to have an uphill battle moving forward.

I hope more people in the states become aware of the situation back home from this.

Also Noti Uno is a good source for information.

GYODX

Hated your basketball team growing up as a Leones fan but right now I hope you and yours are going to be okay. Between the economic troubles, hurricanes, and systemic poverty we are going to have an uphill battle moving forward.

I hope more people in the states become aware of the situation back home from this.

Also Noti Uno is a good source for information.
Thank you. I'm most worried about my grandmother and uncle; they refused to move out of their little wooden house, despite all of our pleas.

And yeah, I'm gonna be glued to the news for as long as I still have power.

dabig2

NBC News: Evacuate or Die, Puerto Rico Officials Warn as Hurricane Maria Bears Down
Authorities warned Puerto Ricans to evacuate or die as Hurricane Maria, the most powerful storm to threaten the region in almost 90 years, barreled toward the U.S. territory.

Maria, a Category 5 storm — the strongest there is — killed one person and injured two other people as it roared through the island of Guadeloupe on Monday night. At midnight ET Wednesday, its maximum sustained winds remained at 175 mph as it churned within 20 miles of St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands and 105 miles of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

It was expected to pass very near the Virgin Islands on its way straight toward Puerto Rico at about 10 mph, on track for arrival by Wednesday morning or midday, before skirting just north of the Dominican Republic on Wednesday night and Thursday, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.

"Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks or months," the hurricane center warned.

Maria should weaken as it crosses Puerto Rico, but it's expected to remain a Category 4 storm as late as Friday night, forecasters said. As far as destruction is concerned, the distinction is immaterial, said Orelon Sidney, a meteorologist for The Weather Channel, who said, "Whatever a 5 can do, a 4 can do."
[...]
[...]
Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló told reporters Tuesday that Maria "promises to be much more devastating" than was Hurricane Irma, which killed at least 70 people as it plowed through the Caribbean and the Southeastern United States earlier this month.

"If you are in a flood zone, your life is in danger," Rosselló said. "If you are in a wooden house, your life is in danger."

Héctor Pesquera, Puerto Rico's commissioner of public safety, was even more blunt.

"You have to evacuate — otherwise, you are going to die," he said, according to Telemundo, NBC's Spanish-language network. "I do not know how to make this any clearer."

[...]

Frightening words, but where can you evacuate though when we're talking a relatively small island? You would've had to clear out via boat/airplane days ago if you want to be evacuated. I guess based on current trajectory that the SW parts of the island would be most safe, but there still going to get hit with hurricane force winds and probably some storm surges.

St. Croix has apparently been getting sustained winds of 90 MPH and gusts to 127.

...100 AM AST POSITION AND INTENSITY UPDATE...
...OUTER EYEWALL OF MARIA LASHING ST. CROIX...

A sustained wind of 90 mph (144 km/h) with a wind gust to 127 mph
(204 km/h) was recently reported in the western portion of St. Croix
in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The storm itself is maintaining 175 MPH winds as of 1AM.

GYODX

Lol fuck, just lost power in Aguadilla. Man, it's really windy. Like insanely.
Same here in San Antonio, but it just came back up. Looks like it was almost all of Aguadilla as well. People in Camaceyes telling me the same thing.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/910328626075389952

At least it seems he knows what Puerto Rico is and what is happening :|

I really hope the federal government steps up after this storm is gone.

In all likelihood Maria is about to devastate Puerto Rico, and I think it might force the US Government to finally consider what the future of Puerto Rico looks like. I'm incredibly fearful that they will use the fact that Puerto Rico isn't technically a state to deny them an aid package while willingly giving one to Texas for Harvey and Florida/SC/AL for Irma. I hope at the very least the island gets adequately evacuated and we have no lose of life in Puerto Rico due to Maria. Stay safe PR-GAF.

In San Juan, we're getting sustained tropical storm winds now with some hurricane force gusts. Power has been out as of 3 hours ago. Still have water.

Top speed at 160 MPH as it approaches Puerto Rico.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT5+shtml/200658.shtml

3:00 AM AST Wed Sep 20
Moving: NW at 10 mph
Min pressure: 913 mb
Max sustained: 160 mph

From the current path, without a jog one direction or another, it looks like it will head right over San Juan. Though, the center has been wobbling a bit, northward one moment, westward another.

Following that here: http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso2-13-200-1-10

From the current path, without a jog one direction or another, it looks like it will head right over San Juan. Though, the center has been wobbling a bit, northward one moment, westward another.

Following that here: http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso2-13-200-1-10

Wow it's just barely a cat 5 now. Perhaps it will weaken to a cat. 4 before landfall just like Irma did in Florida.

fernoca

Fun times ahead. 3AM. In Carolina, no electricity over the past hours, strong winds. My boyfriend at around the other end of the island (Ponce) is reporting the same. He had to evacuate, so he's staying with family.

Brings back some mixed memories.
From Hurricane Hugo more than 20 years ago, to the fact that my mom passed away exactly 4 years ago as of yesterday. And guess her name? :/

evil ways

Fuck, Hugo didnt sound this bad, neither did Georges or Hortence. These wind gusts sound hellish and it hasnt even hit land. Cant imagine how worst it will get at 6am.

JonVazMad

Neo Member
3:17 am: Got up to no power and the windows just f'ing howling. The house is boarded up and we still can feel the winds, and the worst part hasn't even begun....

fernoca

Yeah, way stronger and sounds way worse. And is barely starting.

There are 3 windows in here that I doubt will make it through the rest of this. Though I'm more worried at some parts of the house that are extensions and made of wood, like the extended garage.

Ricky_R

Sure about it heading over SJ? Forecasts still have the trajectory going over the central mountain range. I mean, the eye is big enough to extend to SJ though.

In all likelihood Maria is about to devastate Puerto Rico, and I think it might force the US Government to finally consider what the future of Puerto Rico looks like. I'm incredibly fearful that they will use the fact that Puerto Rico isn't technically a state to deny them an aid package while willingly giving one to Texas for Harvey and Florida/SC/AL for Irma. I hope at the very least the island gets adequately evacuated and we have no lose of life in Puerto Rico due to Maria. Stay safe PR-GAF.
They do that and PR will literally be this administration's Katrina.

dabig2

Wow it's just barely a cat 5 now. Perhaps it will weaken to a cat. 4 before landfall just like Irma did in Florida.

Possibly, but this decreased intensity is due to the eye replacement happening as opposed to being shredded by a land area. Landfall is still some hours away so it might strengthen up a bit again once that cycle is complete. It'll be tight, but it doesn't matter much as a high end cat 4 and the cat 5 it was earlier means little. A reorganized eye means stronger winds hitting in a wider area.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I still have phone signal the winds are hitting with such ferocity right now.

I don't even know how to describe it.

Fun times ahead. 3AM. In Carolina, no electricity over the past hours, strong winds. My boyfriend at around the other end of the island (Ponce) is reporting the same. He had to evacuate, so he's staying with family.

Brings back some mixed memories.
From Hurricane Hugo more than 20 years ago, to the fact that my mom passed away exactly 4 years ago as of yesterday. And guess her name? :/

Hope you guys stay safe.

I also went through Hugo back in 1989 but I was in South Carolina, so it was a Cat 4 when it made landfall. That was a beast of a storm.

Anyone from Ponce or Peñuelas?
I've been following closely but have heard nothing from there, that's where most of my family is, I feel so helpless.

Beefy

Dominica is a mess. Puerto Rico going to be even worse. Have friends in / from Dominica and they have started a fundraising comedy night.

Stay safe

Miggytronz

Still haven’t heard anything from my family in Sabana Grande. My mom and dad are a mess. Just need one word that they are ok.

We're everywhere!

I've been in the states for years but grew up in Juana Diaz and only member of my family here so worried about all my folks back home.

Oh shit, Juana Diaz? My grandparents and some of my aunts, uncles, and cousins live right next door in Villalba. Really worried for them.

2MF

Is there going to be a mass of refugees going from PR to the CONUS?

We'll technically they might not be called refugees since PR is part of the US?

WillyFive

Is there going to be a mass of refugees going from PR to the CONUS?

We'll technically they might not be called refugees since PR is part of the US?

Many are going to go stay with their families in the mainland when it takes months to get the infrastructure up and running again, but I won't expect a mass migration. There's still school to go to, businesses to attend, houses to fix, etc.

Top Bottom