• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ophelia |OT| Ireland's GAF gets windy

To the people quoting me saying “people died” I’m fully aware of that and it’s terrible anytime there is a loss of life. There was no intent to make light of that horrible news.

But from what I’ve experienced today and this evening it’s just been a bit windy and nothing out of the ordinary for a storm at this time of the year.

Yet all around me almost every shop is closed, every business closed, every school and college closed and I can’t help but feel most people around me must be feeling the same - that we’ve over reacted. The storm never seemed to gain any traction here and at several points of the day there was sunshine and blue skies.
Nope. Again, people died. They died because they didn't heed the warnings given. Red warning worked perfectly fine.

Enco

To the people quoting me saying “people died” I’m fully aware of that and it’s terrible anytime there is a loss of life. There was no intent to make light of that horrible news.

But from what I’ve experienced today and this evening it’s just been a bit windy and nothing out of the ordinary for a storm at this time of the year.

Yet all around me almost every shop is closed, every business closed, every school and college closed and I can’t help but feel most people around me must be feeling the same - that we’ve over reacted. The storm never seemed to gain any traction here and at several points of the day there was sunshine and blue skies.
1. People don't react - omg all the damage is because people are idiots!
2. People react - omg there wasn't any damage at all! People overreacted.

Is it better for people to react and there not be an issue or to not react and risk there being massive damage?

acohrs

Have no problem with the red warning yesterday, difference between a few lives who ignored the warning and went outside and more. Plus, think of it from the state's perspective. They say amber, peeps still go outside and a fallen tree hits them. State can be legally prosecuted for not being cautious enough and tax euros go towards a court case about a tragedy that was completely avoidable. If the warning is the highest and peeps don't regard it, no longer the state's problem

geomon

I'm sorry but, no. This mentality gets people killed every single year. I live in Florida (yeah I know, hurricane country and Ireland is not) and we deal with this every single year, no matter how many hurricanes we get. There's always someone that goes, "Well last year's storm wasn't bad so I'm just going to ignore all of the warnings for this one. Hurricane Party, YOLO!" and then a tree falls on them and they die or a power line goes down and they walk on it.

I'm very happy that nothing happened to you or your family and you're all safe, I really am and I know that you're not trying to downplay the people who died because of this storm. But just because you personally weren't affected and your area wasn't affected doesn't mean that people weren't seriously affected. This has cost lives, this has caused damage, and caused a strain (no matter how slight) on resources and people ignoring warnings or governments not issuing proper warnings makes things worse, always.

Top Bottom