• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ophelia |OT| Ireland's GAF gets windy

zodiaq

Neo Member
My sister and her boyfriend do live near belfast doesn't seem to be too bad there at the moment. Hope they stay safe ... meanwhile here in Germany we have blue sky and 25°...

Oriel

Hmm...

DMRG2zJXkAAJ25y.jpg

Classy stuff Ubi.

Classy stuff Ubi.

Yeah it's kind of weird over here how everyone's like 'oh wow the sky is so beautiful ^_^' but it's that way because of a storm which has killed two people in Ireland.

Lots of cinema's twitters are going all 'Hey check out the Bladerunner promo, nice isn't it?'

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Schools are closed again tomorrow, apparently.

Oh well, should make my morning commute a little easier. I expect things will be basically normal in Dublin tomorrow.

shaneo632

Just went to Tesco (UK) and it looks like fucking Blade Runner 2049 outside. At least it was nice to be able to go out in just a shirt in mid-October.

Yeah it's kind of weird over here how everyone's like 'oh wow the sky is so beautiful ^_^' but it's that way because of a storm which has killed two people in Ireland.

Lots of cinema's twitters are going all 'Hey check out the Bladerunner promo, nice isn't it?'

To be fair people still admire the beauty of the sea and that kills thousands of people every year. So you can appreciate a natural spectacle even if it is dangerous or deadly for some.

Oriel

Maybe now we as a nation will start taking preparations for major weather events more seriously, and in a more timely manner. We knew this storm was on the way for well over a week but it was literally only on Sunday when many people began preparing in earnest. Even as late as this morning you had workplaces making the last minute decision to close and send their workers home at 10/11 in the morning.

It's still too early to see the full impact of Ophelia (not to mention it still has several more hours to clear) but hopefully we'll begin putting aside the "it'll be grand" mentality. Particularily so since we'll probably see such storms with more frequency due to climate change.

Vagabundo

Fierce enough around Dublin. So good gusts. Can only imagine what it was like out west.

Was watching the headbangers jumping off the diving board out in Galway. The Seas looked killer. Unreal how many people just ignore all the warnings.

It was tough at home with family. People getting cabin fever near the end of the day.

Shed is fucked but that’s about it.

Had the dog for a quick walk around the estate and all the medium sized trees are visibly slanted.

No luas will make getting to work a real pain tomorrow.

jdforge

Banned
Seems like a severe over reaction to what has been a windy day in Belfast.

I can’t fathom how this has escalated to almost every shop, business, school closed and lists cancelled at every hospital because it got a tad windy? Anyone else think the reaction was far too severe?

tuxfool

Banned

I can't fathom how this has escalated to almost every shop, business, school closed and lists cancelled at every hospital because it got a tad windy? Anyone else think the reaction was far too severe?

Given that people died. No, I don't think so.

This is exactly the same reaction as what happened in florida: "We took too many precautions for a storm that didn't turn out as bad as it could have been". Maybe people should be thankful that it didn't turn out to be too bad.

Podge293

Yeah was pretty much a damp squib around my area. Bit of wind some light rain.

Got a free day off work tho so can't complain

I can’t fathom how this has escalated to almost every shop, business, school closed and lists cancelled at every hospital because it got a tad windy? Anyone else think the reaction was far too severe?

people died.

I can't fathom how this has escalated to almost every shop, business, school closed and lists cancelled at every hospital because it got a tad windy? Anyone else think the reaction was far too severe?

It seems to vary a lot

I know people in South Dublin saying it wasnt too bad. I am in Bray which is only a few km away and its been pretty bad here.

I think red alert was the right call, I just wish public transport made their decision sooner to stop service. I didnt know until I had already gotten to work and had to immediately leave so I could get safely home.

Clegg

The gusts have really picked up again. Was relatively quiet for a few hours.

Dublin didn't get the worst of it, but it's still pretty bad. Three people died today so I shudder to think how bad it was elsewhere.

jdforge

Banned
To the people quoting me saying “people died” I’m fully aware of that and it’s terrible anytime there is a loss of life. There was no intent to make light of that horrible news.

But from what I’ve experienced today and this evening it’s just been a bit windy and nothing out of the ordinary for a storm at this time of the year.

Yet all around me almost every shop is closed, every business closed, every school and college closed and I can’t help but feel most people around me must be feeling the same - that we’ve over reacted. The storm never seemed to gain any traction here and at several points of the day there was sunshine and blue skies.

To the people quoting me saying “people died” I’m fully aware of that and it’s terrible anytime there is a loss of life. There was no intent to make light of that horrible news.

But from what I’ve experienced today and this evening it’s just been a bit windy and nothing out of the ordinary for a storm at this time of the year.

Yet all around me almost every shop is closed, every business closed, every school and college closed and I can’t help but feel most people around me must be feeling the same - that we’ve over reacted. The storm never seemed to gain any traction here and at several points of the day there was sunshine and blue skies.

Tell that to the many thousands of people without power.

Look outside your bubble a little? Just a peek?

Maybe the red alert for the entire country, in hindsight, was too much, but was being too cautious such a crime?

You can never 100% predict the weather. Better to be safe.

jdforge

Banned
Tell that to the many thousands of people without power.

Look outside your bubble a little? Just a peek?

Maybe the red alert for the entire country, in hindsight, was too much, but was being too cautious such a crime?

Many thousands of people have been without power many, many times due to normal winter storms. We’ve also had severe flooding, entire communities destroyed. All without red alert weather warnings. Or without the entire country shutting up shop.

Stop assuming I haven’t looked outside my bubble - there are lots of areas of Ireland that have seen very little in the way of what anyone could reasonably describe as hurricane type damage or destruction.

The worst I’ve seen in my travels today and this evening (over 90 miles through Co Down and parts of Co Antrim) was one tree blown over, a temporary road sign blown over, and some branches broken off trees.

Obviously other areas were not as fortunate but the media really went to town on this one.

RulkezX

Many thousands of people have been without power many, many times due to normal winter storms. We’ve also had severe flooding, entire communities destroyed. All without red alert weather warnings. Or without the entire country shutting up shop.

Stop assuming I haven’t looked outside my bubble - there are lots of areas of Ireland that have seen very little in the way of what anyone could reasonably describe as hurricane type damage or destruction.

The worst I’ve seen in my travels today and this evening (over 90 miles through Co Down and parts of Co Antrim) was one tree blown over, a temporary road sign blown over, and some branches broken off trees.

Obviously other areas were not as fortunate but the media really went to town on this one.

If you being inconvenienced possibly meant someone somewhere else in the country got to stay home and didn't have to risk falling trees on their drive to work then that's a win for me.

jdforge

Banned
If you being inconvenienced possibly meant someone somewhere else in the country got to stay home and didn't have to risk falling trees on their drive to work then that's a win for me.

How have you determined I have been in anyway inconvenienced? This has nothing to do with me. My day has been largely unaffected by the weather.

The one and only point I’m trying to make here is that the reaction to the current bad weather is an over reaction and the red alert isn’t and hasn’t been a true reflection to what’s being experienced in most parts of the country, and we’ve had worse weather related incidents in the past without red alerts.

NateDog

Heading to work at the minimum, worst I've seen was about half of a large tree crashed over two people's garden and almost into one of their houses. That being said I didn't even expect anything like that in this area. Hope all you guys in Scotland are OK.

Can anyone explain how the UK had the red sun / orange sky phenomenon but we didn't see it? I get it's to do with the sand from the Sahara but I still am puzzled as to why it passed us. Was it almost like a sudden collision thing where when the storm hit the West coast it slowed hugely as it spread over the country like it but a wall but the sand and debris was effectively sent hurtling past at an even faster pace?

The weather is hard to predict, storms change direction, it did over the course of the weekend and again yesterday.
Is it not better to have been cautious in case?

Podge293

It's always nice to know even after a wannabe hurricane this country's traffic flow in Dublin remains shit.

Normality returns

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ophelia seemed to reach its peak where I am in north dublin last night...it seemed a good deal worse after midnight last night than it was during the day. Not sure that was entirely expected... things quietened down a lot yesterday evening beforehand. I heard a fair number of flights had to abort landings at dublin airport last night and go to Cork.

Top Bottom