• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter Wii U Port "In Limbo"

hyper_light_drifter_t.jpg

Taken from today's update. Figure folk not following the campaign might want a heads-up.

The Wii U port is, unfortunately, currently in limbo.
So what happened? We had information about our engine, two years back, when we announced support for the platform. This had assured us we could port to the Wii U with relatively little hassle by now. However, due to ongoing internal contractual issues beyond our control between the platform holder and engine developer, we just don't know when or if this situation will have a good resolution. We are looking into the options available and doing what we can to help push the issue, including posting about it here.

This means we will still offer the option of Wii U in the Surveys, with the stipulation that if you do choose it as your platform, and we end up unable to support it this year, we will offer you a key on another platform of your choice. We would rather keep this option open, knowing there's still a possibility for it to work, than cancel the port right now.

I realize this isn't ideal, and plenty of people are looking forward to the release on a Nintendo platform (as are we, being life-long fans). Please understand business can sometimes get in the way of production, and there's only so much we can do to help sway these types of events with larger entities. We'll keep everyone updated as soon as we know more.

Josh5890

Judging by a couple of the Kickstarter comments, they might be stuck giving out some refunds if everything doesn't work out. Sounds like a mess either way.

Doesnt sound like its their fault

Maybe Nintendo is juggling plates in its current transition and cant get this resolved?

Wasn't WiI U a part of the initial KS campaign?

If so, they should offer refunds to anyone who pledged with the intent of playing that version.

If I'm wrong about that, nevermind.

As for me, I'm buying this bad boy at launch on PS4. It looks fantastic.

DrArchon

Oof.

Glad they're upfront about it and not cancelling it outright. I wasn't planning on getting this for Wii U but it must really suck for those people that backed this with the hope that it would come out on Wii U.

EDarkness

They really should have tested this a long time ago. I did with my own game just to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with delivering what I promised. I just don't understand how this kind of stuff can take people by surprise at this stage in development.

pastrami

If so, they should offer refunds to anyone who pledged with the intent of playing that version.

Wii U was one of the last stretch goals.

This is Game Maker right? Sucks for Wii U owners who backed this, and part of why I'm wary of kickstarters that promise console support.

Hope the Vita version is still on track.

5taquitos

They really should have tested this a long time ago. I did with my own game just to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with delivering what I promised. I just don't understand how this kind of stuff can take people by surprise at this stage in development.

I don't think this is due to not properly testing something, it's contractual.

Wereroku

They aren't giving refunds yet because they are trying to get their engine maker and Nintendo to come to an agreement. They have the money and time to port it they just don't have Nintendo's backing at the moment for whatever reason.

Not testing related. Nintendo and the engine maker won't come to an agreement about the engine on the WiiU.

Wii U was one of the last stretch goals.

This is Game Maker right? Sucks for Wii U owners who backed this, and part of why I'm wary of kickstarters that promise console support.

Hope the Vita version is still on track.

Ok, thanks. I consider stretch goals a part of the initial campaign, assuming they're hit.

So, refunds are what this team should seriously consider....assuming they don't get it working on Wii U. Fingers crossed they figure something out.

jholmes

No, this was announced years ago during the campaign, during which by the way they pulled in a ton of money. These guys are either incompetent to not even look at a Wii U kit in the years since, or this is a spin job. My bet is on the latter.

I didn't back this because I never, ever got the hype about it, but anyone who did who wanted it on Wii U should not go quietly into the night. You were either treated as an afterthought from Day 1 or you're being lied to now, full stop.

Wereroku

No, this was announced years ago during the campaign, during which by the way they pulled in a ton of money. These guys are either incompetent to not even look at a Wii U kit in the years since, or this is a spin job. My bet is on the latter.

I didn't back this because I never, ever got the hype about it, but anyone who did who wanted it on Wii U should not go quietly into the night. You were either treated as an afterthought from Day 1 or you're being lied to now, full stop.

Did you not bother to read the update? They were told the engine would be working on the WiiU. Now they have started to work on it and the engine is not approved by Nintendo for some legal reason. They aren't the problem point your hostility at Nintendo and the engine.

EDarkness

It doesn't matter, they should have had this stuff nailed down long time ago. Working on a Wii U game myself and dealing with Nintendo directly, I'm not sure what kind of contract problems they're having. Unless, it's not Nintendo, but some other entity that is causing an issue. Again, they should have known what was going on long time ago.

If there was even the slightest hint that they weren't going to be able to do something, then they should have had a backup ready. During development it should be known what engine you're using and what your portability options were going to look like. If your engine wasn't fully supported on a platform, then something needed to be done to either get it done, or have another engine ready. I just don't find having that planned out to be unreasonable. These kinds of things just shouldn't take people by surprise.

5taquitos

From the update, it's completely out of their hands, but go ahead and grab that pitchfork.

It doesn't matter, they should have had this stuff nailed down long time ago. Working on a Wii U game myself and dealing with Nintendo directly, I'm not sure what kind of contract problems they're having. Unless, it's not Nintendo, but some other entity that is causing an issue. Again, they should have known what was going on long time ago.

Did you even read the update? It says that they did have this stuff nailed down years ago, but contractual conflicts between the engine developer (not them) and Nintendo (not them) are causing the problem.

Hagi

they say it's an issue between nintendo and the engine developer so i'd say that latter counts as "other entity"

they are being upfront about it and are trying to solve the issue so hopefully they can

pastrami

What engine are they using?

I believe it's Game Maker Studio, and they don't support the Wii U currently. I'm guessing Yoyo would like Nintendo to pay for it (Microsoft and Sony seemed involved to get support for their respective platforms), and Nintendo doesn't think it's worth it.

I guess finding a studio to port the game for them is a possibility. Maybe in the future provided the game is successful, and they deem it worth the costs of hiring a third party for that port.

EDarkness

Did you even read the update? It says that they did have this stuff nailed down years ago, but contractual conflicts between the engine developer (not them) and Nintendo (not them) are causing the problem.

I did read it, and again they would have known where this was going a long time ago and should have had a backup. We're not talking about stuff that was a couple of months ago, this has been a long time in the making and they should have been prepared for that possibility it wasn't going to work out. Again, this stuff shouldn't take people by surprise.

fernoca

Did you not bother to read the update? They were told the engine would be working on the WiiU. Now they have started to work on it and the engine is not approved by Nintendo for some legal reason. They aren't the problem point your hostility at Nintendo and the engine.
Technically they weren't told. They had information 2 years ago and assumed things would work out eventually.

Recently they decided to start the port and it seems a problem with the contract happened.

Have they said on which engine they're currently working on?

Like maybe they signed with Unity along the free tools and stuff and they changed and ended using something different which causes the contract between Unity, Nintendo and the developer to be voided.

Like when Dyack starting working then had tons of problems with Unreal Engine; then sued because he claimed Epic wasn't giving proper support. Then he used his own thing...which was still based on Unreal so he lost.

EDIT:
So it seems it's currently Game Maker...which has never been supported on the Wii U as far as I know.

Timeaisis

I think they are using GameMaker. And, knowing past KSes and developing shit in GameMaker before, it doesn't really get along with Wii U and it's not outright supported. The Wii U version was always going to be a port.

EDIT: I think I recall GameMaker/Nintendo "announcing" a partnership a couple of years back, so they (HLD) may have promised a Wii U port based on that. GM has never supported Wii U. Take that however you will.

TheMoon

Broken Rules
M2
Engine Software
Ripstone
Curve Studios
... probably more.

Devs, talk to each other. Put the word out in the "dev community" (=twitter). With a high profile game like this, offers from experienced studios will come.

This is the same situation as with Undertale, also using Game Maker.

What engine are they using?

Apparently it uses game maker, game maker doesn't support Wii U, nothing to do with contractual issues (unless you count the company that makes Game Maker wanting money off Nintendo to support it as a contractual issue)

The devs took the money for a Wii U stretch goal, they really should have paid someone to port it to an engine the Wii u supports a long time ago

Timeaisis

Broken Rules
M2
Engine Software
Ripstone
Curve Studios
... probably more.

Devs, talk to each other. Put the word out in the "dev community" (=twitter). With a high profile game like this, offers from experienced studios will come.

This is the same situation as with Undertale, also using Game Maker.

Usually that's after the game has launched to success (or not). Devs want to at least know what they are doing is worthwhile before doing a port.

Undertale is a runaway success, so no surprise studios want to port it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Shame. At least it looks easy to run so it should run on a modest PC.

I went for the Vita/PS4 version myself as part of my reward.

TheMoon

Usually that's after the game has launched to success (or not). Devs want to at least know what they are doing is worthwhile before doing a port.

Hyper Light Drifter has been on indie hype lists since forever. It's one of the few big ticket indies out there.

EDarkness

I would have no problems porting their game for them in Unity. Looks like a fun game and this way everyone gets what they were promised.

jholmes

My ability to read the update is unrelated to the issue, which is that they took a great deal of money for a Wii U port and are now, years after, turning around and saying they can't do it.

But the fact they never bothered to check before whether the game would run on Wii U is definitely Nintendo's fault, good point.

I was really hoping to own all the Runbow guest characters' games on Wii U and 3DS.

The one character that won't work at all is Unity-chan.

I was always confused at the idea of these far away games getting Wii U ports, like Bloodstained last year.

With how well certain throwback games sold on Wii U (Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet) that was a logical port.

My ability to read the update is unrelated to the issue, which is that they took a great deal of money for a Wii U port and are now, years after, turning around and saying they can't do it.

But the fact they never bothered to check before whether the game would run on Wii U is definitely Nintendo's fault, good point.

But they did check if the game would run on the Wii U. They were told the engine would be supported, but now it's not. This isn't their fault at all. What more do you want from them?

diffusionx

Gold Member
With how well certain throwback games sold on Wii U (Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet) that was a logical port.

Bloodstained was logical? It actually uses a fancy engine that isn't native on the platform, and it's coming out after the Wii U will be replaced.

But they did check if the game would run on the Wii U. They were told the engine would be supported, but now it's not. This isn't their fault at all. What more do you want from them?

They checked 2 years ago, it didn't support it then, allegedly they were told it would, maybe they shouldn't have waited 2 years to check again

Joqu

They say they based this on information they had and I believe them, but even then they really shouldn't have promised a Wii U port if it depended on gamemaker support that wasn't there at the time.

I figured they were using a porting company. :l

Top Bottom