• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hypothetical] PSASBR2 Could Be the Series' Melee

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wrong OP. It should drop that lame Smash stuff and give us full on POWER STONE! I think it'd be a far more interesting game and in a style we don't get often these days. Sweet Tooth with a giant cleaver against Jak and Daxter, Ellie and Aloy in an arena that consists of different parts of Chronos' body from God of War 3!

If you want a Smash copy with ring out just play Brawhalla.

If a Sony mascot game is really necessary, it should come in another form, not necessary a fighting game.

They could take hints from moba games, with teams and objectives, capture the flag, etc.

Scrap the Smash stuff. Instead, give it to Arc System Works, get them a great cast, turn it into a more traditional 2D fighter (an accessible one with a bit of depth), and unify the art direction.
This

Forget about ring out or other smash stuff, do a different game.

3D power stone or Smash clone. Unified style

And if its not done by insomniac, naughty dog, or team japan, I wont have much faith in it

Crayolan

The series needs to have its Smash 64 before it can have it's Melee. The original game was not a strong enough base to build from.

Balb

Who's making this hypothetical game? To even come close to Melee, they need to have an A-tier studio working on the game rather than the B/C-tier studios they typically hire to make games like this.

Pizza

If Sony nailed a well-oiled smash clone mascot brawler that catered to what people like about top tier melee without relying on hand-crushing glitches to work no one would care what the title was

boiled goose

good with gravy
Sakurai almost dies every time he makes a smash game. That's what it takes to make these wacky mashups so good and polished and fan servicey and coherent.

B tier effort will mean a b tier game.

Like pba1

Kraq

The original looked cheap, had an extremely flawed way of knocking characters off stage and had a lack of characters one would associate with PlayStation. Even the title of the game was bad.

I can't say I would look forward to a return to the PSASBR franchise. This is not something you just hand to an inexperienced/middling studio. Companies are not going to be willing to hand over their most precious characters otherwise. Of course you then have the question, what studio would be willing to do this? Who wants to spend all their effort to create something that may just be seen as a poor man's Smash clone, when they can try and put something out themselves that could bring positive recognition and elevate them into into that upper tier of developers?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I already gave up with PSASBR sequel since they probably aren't interested to bring it back. I would love it if they are going to give it a second chance somehow.

mindsale

There are so few Smash-type games, it's a market that really needs more competition (and more entries).
The first game played really well, it just had shit menus, shit dispatch mechanics, and a shit roster, but the mechanics to build supers (combos and maneuvering) were awesome. It'd be so easy to make the sequel great - JUST add a ring out mechanic and convert Super build percentages to Increased Distance When Damaged.

Or invert that - and you still gain a higher percentage for the more damage you deal, but that makes you fling your opponent farther (rather than your opponent being flung farther by their percentage).

Ring out is a fucking must.

They have the roster.

Make it so.

It just doesn't really make sense for a Sony-themed fighter to be 2.5D like Smash. Most characters that people relate to PS franchises, whether they be first or third party, originated in a 3D environment, while most Nintendo franchises originated in 2D. So, why would Sony's fighter be 2D, which automatically restricts what many of those characters are known to do? You can't really convey Kat's power on a 2D plane, nor can you convey Drake's agility.

A game in the style of Power-Stone just makes sense on multiple levels. The main one is that there really hasn't been a mainstream fighter like PS since PS2, which was released in 2000. So, right away Sony has something that at least looks and feels fresh rather than trying to clone an extremely popular and current fighter like Smash.

mindsale

It just doesn't really make sense for a Sony-themed fighter to be 2.5D like Smash. Most characters that people relate to PS franchises, whether they be first or third party, originated in a 3D environment, while most Nintendo franchises originated in 2D. So, why would Sony's fighter be 2D, which automatically restricts what many of those characters are known to do? You can't really convey Kat's power on a 2D plane, nor can you convey Drake's agility.

A game in the style of Power-Stone just makes sense on multiple levels. The main one is that there really hasn't been a mainstream fighter like PS since PS2, which was released in 2000. So, right away Sony has something that at least looks and feels fresh rather than trying to clone an extremely popular and current fighter like Smash.

Starting an all-new series rather than building on past mistakes and a decent start seems such a waste though. It was like, so almost there.

Starting an all-new series rather than building on past mistakes and a decent start seems such a waste though. It was like, so almost there.

That's the problem, I think the entire project was a mistake. From the character selection to the 2.5D choice. I'm not saying that it was outright bad as I did enjoy it, but I feel it could be so much more, and in particular so much like an actual tribute to Playstation characters, if it actually was fully 3D. A major thing Smash has going for it is that it really captures the characters really well. You saw that when they first introduced Mega-Man where many felt his handling there was even better than what Capcom has done. That's what Sony should want with this. And I don't think they'll ever have if it's 2.5D as you'll never capture Kat, Drake, Robbit etc. are like if you limit their movement to such a degree.

mindsale

That's the problem, I think the entire project was a mistake. From the character selection to the 2.5D choice. I'm not saying that it was outright bad as I did enjoy it, but I feel it could be so much more, and in particular so much like an actual tribute to Playstation characters, if it actually was fully 3D. A major thing Smash has going for it is that it really captures the characters really well. You saw that when they first introduced Mega-Man where many felt his handling there was even better than what Capcom has done. That's what Sony should want with this. And I don't think they'll ever have if it's 2.5D as you'll never capture Kat, Drake, Robbit etc. are like if you limit their movement to such a degree.

That would be interesting if Drake could conjure cover and you could shoot multidirectionally within a 3D plane.

It would make landing fatal Jumping Hop hops from Rabbot more precise and rewarding.

You could move LocoRoco with tilt control.

There's definitely potential.

I don't think there are very many people clamoring for a sequel. They had their chance to make a good first impression and they blew it. Yes, the character selection was a problem but it was far from the biggest problem of that game.

The roster was not the main problem of the first game. The fact they didn't copy Smash Brothers 1 to 1 was a dumb decision. Fix that terrible UI too.

Nintendo made some pretty good Smash Brothers clones:
rl4jcu8.jpg

Jump_Ultimate_Stars_boxart.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
I would be up for it. Needs a way better cast than the last one. I think they should not limit themselves to exclusive character, just anyone who is associated with their platform. Needs to have off the top of my head:

Crash
Spyro
Cloud
Lightning
Dante
Snake
Raiden
Mega Man (X or Legends)
Zero
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
Sly
Ellie (no Joel!)
Drake
Aloy
Cole
Kat
2-B
Ameratsu
Yu Narukami
Big Daddy
Kratos
Parappa
Tearaway Guy/Girl
Toro
Bloodborne Hunter
Sackboy
Lara Croft
Pyramid Head
Jill Valentine
Alucard
Spiderman

I think you have to exclude series like Resistance, Killzone, Order, etc. There are already too many realistic human characters, which gets boring fast.

That would be interesting if Drake could conjure cover and you could shoot multidirectionally within a 3D plane.

It would make landing fatal Jumping Hop hops from Rabbot more precise and rewarding.

You could move LocoRoco with tilt control.

There's definitely potential.

Him being able to conjure cover may not even be necessary. For example, here are some shots from Power-Stone where there would be natural cover spots in the arena

ps25du25.jpg

pswgume.jpg

ps1nyutt.png

That's why some of us feel that the Power-Stone route seems really natural for a Playstation-themed fighter. I'd expect that they'd make the stages bigger than they were in PS, but the general concept is really perfect for it. You have items around that could be destroyed, used as cover, or in Kat's case they could be used as attack items that she picks up in her Stasis Field.

Pandy

The winning mechanic needs to be changed. I'll be honest, I'd rather they make a new ip, with a cohesive cast of characters. I propose a party brawler, that uses humanoid robots, with unique powers, and abilities.
This is a good idea.
To change-up from the Smash formula they could make it 3D and arena based, but give those humanoid robots extending limbs like Inspector Gadget so the range of combat can vary.
Sure fire original hit for Sony, there.

Sponge

Banned
Honestly, imo the reason Smash works as well as is does is because they had a basic gameplay concept made long before the decided to make it a crossover game.

Sony needs to develop some sort of gameplay, and make sure it's fun and addicting. Then dump all your characters in it.

I enjoyed the little I played of the first game so I'd be open to a sequel.

I don't like that you called the player character from Bloodborne 'revenant' over 'hunter'. Also, I think they may be too generic and blank slate for a playable character and would probably be better off with Gehrmann, Lady Maria or Father Gascoigne. Gascoigne might be best because he can have the powered up beast mode.

I also think a character from Everybody's Golf/Tennis could be cool, I'm not familiar enough with the series to know if there is anyone recognisable or fitting as a mascot, but a sporting character is kind of what I keep hoping Nintendo will do with Daisy in a Smash game.

DrZeus

I'll take powerstone or a regular vs style game, skip trying to copy smash
The party fighter is fine but with 2d landscapes was silly. Playstation ushered in 3d games. The Powerstone style just more fitting if we're being true about the history of the brand.

Ring outs won't fix the games problems. Everything from attacks, to grabs, to blocking, and movement are ass. It would take a massive amount of time and budget to get it right, and even then, it would just be a game where you ask yourself "why aren't I playing Smash Bros?"

Playsage

Go full 3D instead of ripping off Smash.

Power Stone's style would fit. That or a 8-way Run system with superpowers/weapons

RootCause

This is a good idea.
To change-up from the Smash formula they could make it 3D and arena based, but give those humanoid robots extending limbs like Inspector Gadget so the range of combat can vary.
Sure fire original hit for Sony, there.
I was thinking more in line with Power Stone mixed with Megaman. Not exactly original, but I've always wanted that. Heck, maybe Capcom should do it. They have an amazing cast to choose from. Quick Man would be a beast. Also, no ring outs.

Hattori

Banned
I say make a brawler with original characters like ARMS but with Smash-like gameplay. People are willing to embrace new characters, they just have to be well made.

RootCause

I say make a brawler with original characters like ARMS but with Smash-like gameplay. People are willing to embrace new characters, they just have to be well made.

I'm thinking robots more in line with Megaman.

url]

Tell me you wouldn't be up for a brawler featuring that cast of characters. :p

JusDoIt

Seth left the company. The game is dead. Some of your roster choices are weird, but you are right, Sony does have a deep character lineup all of a sudden. You gotta throw in the Journey thing and the dancer from the sad dancing game.

mindsale

Seth left the company. The game is dead. Some of your roster choices are weird, but you are right, Sony does have a deep character lineup all of a sudden. You gotta throw in the Journey thing and the dancer from the sad dancing game.

I should probably list Journey's character as Journeyman but I used Scarf Folk.

Oh word, yeah uh... it's a single word title that's escaping me. Ballast or something like that. She rope dances in a nightmare landscape.

It's a really deep catalogue of fighters.

mindsale

Ring outs won't fix the games problems. Everything from attacks, to grabs, to blocking, and movement are ass. It would take a massive amount of time and budget to get it right, and even then, it would just be a game where you ask yourself "why aren't I playing Smash Bros?"

I thought there was a really good fluidity with most characters' combos and ranges. Radec, for example, felt on par with Smash's better offerings. Kratos also felt weighty but graceful and could hit people with strung together slices.

Some characters just felt clunky or weak, for sure, but overall comboing and damage accrual was solid. It was the roster, dispatch, menus, writing ("It's Drake time!"), and visuals that were lacking.

Santiako

Scratch everything from the first game and start anew with a 3D arena fighter. Playstation is what made 3D gaming big, so they should lean into that instead of trying to ape smash half-assedly.

Evilisk

Seth Killian wasn't all that important to the game. He only joined Sony Santa Monica months before it released, while PSBR was in development for at least a few years at that point.

And I will never understand why people think the ENTIRE roster has to be iconic. Most crossovers do just fine bringing in a couple of iconic picks and then indulging on the obscure picks. Obviously, PSBR failed to do that (no Crash, Cloud, Snake etc.) and actually getting all those characters at the right time would be its own problem, but if they actually managed to do that, people aren't gonna mind the number of obscure characters.

The problem with the first game was that so many attacks were 'smashes' where opponents would fly off to the other side of the screen. But that made no sense what so ever because there was no ringout mechanic.

It sounds a whole lot like you haven't played the game, and have only read that awful Keith Burgun "analysis" about the game

Evilisk

Regarding the topic OP, I can't say I agree.

The Super system is both really divisive (from a casual standpoint) and really limited (from a competitive standpoint) as it was implemented in PSBR. Doing a sequel in the same style would be pretty risky since, again, it wasn't well liked by most but there's also the problem that there's no immediately obvious way to improve the Super system like there was for Smash from 64 to Melee.

I actually think the Super system may be a dead end, in terms of gameplay systems for a platform fighter to take. It could work, but I think it'd be very hard to do so, and in a way that's accessible as Smash is (i.e. the Super system is very, very hard to balance for both 1v1 and FFA). As a platform fighter fan, I would personally love to see the Super system be explored, but as a PS fan that would want a sequel to succeed, it'd be much better to either do something entirely (arena fighter, or traditional fighter) or to actually go all-in and do the Smash system, probably in a way to attract fans of Melee's gameplay.

I would love a PlayStation crossover title but I don't really think a PSBR2 that directly returns to the Super system would necessarily be a good idea.

Nintendo made some pretty good Smash Brothers clones:

1) Ganbarion isn't Nintendo. They also work for Bandai Namco

2) You actually meant to post this game (as the developers of this title, GameArts, had a hand in making Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

Whenever I read posts like this, I feel like it's from people who don't understand what makes Smash good. Smash has a level of attention to detail, polish, and overall cohesiveness that I think comes from Sakurai's direction, as evidenced by his ability to create each game utilizing different teams and still maintain an insanely high level of quality. It goes beyond just having a dope roster of characters and a high budget.

People really overestimate how good or high quality a Smash clone needs to be.

Most Smash clones are just genuinely trashy (one game I've played couldn't even implement hitstun properly) or go for dumb, gimmicky not-Smash systems. If more games were just better at playing like Smash, or had actually decent derivative gameplay systems (like Jump Ultimate Stars, which was pretty good, and was only hampered by a Japan only release), they would sell better.

In fact, for those that have been following these kinds of games (platform fighters), the shift has already started to happen with titles like Rivals of Aether, and other in-development games aiming for the Melee audience.

How about a more traditional fighting game? Give it to arc systems works after they are done with DBZ

I think the characters are there, what was missing last time was it being a good game with a nice unified and inviting art style

First party

Kratos
Aloy
Sweet-tooth
Drake
Helghast
Jak
Ratchet
Sly
Trico and the boy
Spider-Man
Patapon army
Loco Rico
Journeyman
Ellie (ranged how character)
Sackboy
Kat

3rd party
Cloud
Crash
Lara Croft

They'd have to choose the cast a bit better this time. Don't bring the trash tier characters like Fat Princess and Cole into it. The top 15 - 20 are the best of the best.

Third parties need to be inherently tied to the platform's legacy. No "we have a game coming up so let's get a character" like having the fricken Dead Space guy or Big Daddy who is tied more to the Xbox platform.

Leave Snake out cause #fuckonami

hiredhand

I find it really weird how few Smash clones there are considering how huge Smash is as a series.

Then again I would much rather see one from Konami/Hudson (outsourced to a developer that actually gives a damn) or Sega (Sonic & All-Stars Fighting) than Sony.

mindsale

I find it really weird how few Smash clones there are considering how huge Smash is as a series.

Then again I would much rather see one from Konami/Hudson (outsourced to a developer that actually gives a damn) or Sega (Sonic & All-Stars Fighting) than Sony.

It's strange. A platforming fighter genre with simple move inputs sounds like such a winning formula, but the few games like Brawlhalla, TMNT Smash-Up, and of course PSASBR come nowhere close to their inspiration.

There are countless quarter-circle punch-type games.

Top Bottom