• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors : official website opens, new screenshots/artworks

-Horizon-

That makes so much physical sense!

Can't wait for some news so I can get those two suns out of my mind.
But what glorious suns they are!

Sword fighting was pretty nifting, just about finished the tutorial area and began flying on the bird. So not really far at all. Would have gone further but there was a major output issue on that specific tv (was at my sisters house) for some reason stuff was black and white and I just gave up playing it like that.
So no problems with the motion controls? That is basically the most divisive aspect of SS. How the game's areas are split up and how hand holding is...handled are also some other issues some have had. There are a few other problems people had but I won't say them (kind of spoiler-ish) and leave them for you to come across.
But if you got past the biggest hurdle, I'll go ahead and say that you will probably enjoy the rest of the game whenever you get back to it.

wsippel

Banned
In my opinion, sexy or revealing costumes are not misogynistic, calling sexy or revealing costumes slutty is misogynistic. Unless they're actually supposed to be slutty, which obviously isn't the case here.

I hate Zelda threads, there is always something about a new Zelda that gets people to rage

never would have guessed it would be boobs

from Celda to Boobda

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In my opinion, sexy or revealing costumes are not misogynistic, calling sexy or revealing costumes slutty is misogynistic. Unless they're actually supposed to be slutty, which obviously isn't the case here.

See this is where I stand I personally don't care for the design and I feel it could be done better but I have issue with people saying a sexually charged character shouldn't exist in this game just because, if it's shitty fanservice fine it's not as if I haven't seen plenty of fan service in games for both genders games in games, but I'd rather allow the creator to further explain the character, than to cry foul and say she shouldn't exist based on a bio and a design.

The questioning here should be poor story telling and design that doesn't put that across well, but not this character design is slutty so it automatically shouldn't exist.

Kinsei

Banned
1)2) It's awful. I don't go looking for it on tumblr, sometimes it gets reblogged by people I follow and I see it on my dash. But it's not just Internet People comments, there are stories from people who went to cons. I also went to WonderCon recently in LA, and for about an hour or so I walked around with a couple friends who were cosplaying as ... I think Scarlet Witch and Power Girl. People's reactions are disgusting, especially since Power Girl was a bit, ah, fuller-figured than she appears in the comics. :(

Also, double standard, witches are just as fake and fantastical as fairies. They are both human in appearance. If Nintendo altered the text so that Cia was a fairy gone bad instead of a witch, everything would be fine then? In fact she could wear even less than she does now? Because she's a fantastical creature that looks exactly like a human, but isn't, that makes it "ok"?

That sounds terrible.

Possibly. I'd be more OK with her showing so much skin on the battlefield since it seems that fairies can't be killed in the Zelda series if MM is anything to go by. There would still be the problem of her outfit looking ridiculous, and her looking like a generic anime character and not a Zelda character ( I also have this problem with Valga).

Looking back on my posts with a clear head, it seems like I'm just lashing out because I hate the art style for the original characters and not the fact that she's scantily clad. I've never been a fan of this 3d anime-esque style of character design, and I don't like it being in a Zelda game. Ah geez, I'm like one of the people lashing out at the WW reveal just because it looked "kiddy". Shit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That sounds terrible.

Possibly. I'd be more OK with her showing so much skin on the battlefield since it seems that fairies can't be killed in the Zelda series if MM is anything to go by. There would still be the problem of her outfit looking ridiculous, and her looking like a generic anime character and not a Zelda character ( I also have this problem with Valga).

Looking back on my posts with a clear head, it seems like I'm just lashing out because I hate the art style for the original characters and not the fact that she's scantily clad. I've never been a fan of this 3d anime-esque style of character design, and I don't like it being in a Zelda game. Ah geez, I'm like one of the people lashing out at the WW reveal just because it looked "kiddy". Shit.

Yeah like I said in the other comment I'm not all that fond of the design either, I just feel like even if there was a perfectly valid and well executed story related reason for her design and personality that people would find major issue with it due to pandering. Which I felt wasn't right since any media makers shouldn't feel the need to dial down their designs which serve as a plot point just because someone may feel that it's pandering and the only reason it exists.

It just didn't sit right with me hence why I argued so much.

Ultimately this is just a spin off I highly doubt It'd affect the mainline series.

zhorkat

I just feel like even if there was a perfectly valid and well executed story related reason for her design and personality that people would find major issue with it due to pandering. Which I felt wasn't right since any media makers shouldn't feel the need to dial down their designs which serve as a plot point just because someone may feel that it's pandering and the only reason it exists.

Why do you think it is wrong for people to dislike a design because they think it is pandering? People will criticize things and there's nothing wrong with them criticizing things. That doesn't stop Nintendo and Tecmo Koei from putting out the game they want to put out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why do you think it is wrong for people to dislike a design because they think it is pandering? People will criticize things and there's nothing wrong with them criticizing things. That doesn't stop Nintendo and Tecmo Koei from putting out the game they want to put out.

Nothing wrong with criticising, never had any issue with it. I've never argued with anyone for simply disliking it. I argued when they mention such pandering hasn't existed before in Zelda or characters shouldn't be sexualised. Those I have issues with because their limiting the potential scope for any story for no real reason.

It's not as Nintendo is not the short of company that would shy away at the slightest bit of controversy for many of their games. If they can avoid it they often will, which is why I ague against that specific sentiment.

Sami+

Please don't try to simplify this discussion into prudes hating on women's sexuality. Cia is a temptress because that's the character template she's based on. It's not exactly groundbreaking character design, and there have been tons of actually talented writers who have used that template as the foundation to create three-dimensional characters before (Melisandre from ASOIAF comes to mind). The problem here is that even though we haven't seen much of Hyrule Warriors' story, we already know it's not exactly a game that's aiming to redefine ancient tropes like that. It's a fanservice game for Zelda/DW fans, and Cia's design is just another insertion of the tired old "sexy powerful villainess temps chaste hero" convention.

No one should be arguing for the complete erasure of female sexuality from character design because sexuality is a huge part of being human. Female sexuality can be used to illustrate confidence, or as a tool for female characters to manipulate others, or just to show that a character is human and relatable, or any other myriad of ways. But the way it's being used here, as Cia's defining characteristic, comes off as blatant fanservice to appeal to the most prevalent portion of the fanbase with some fluffy backstory to justify the design.

It's not even as if Cia's design is really even that interesting in comparison to some others, and other female characters within the Zelda series have utilized sexuality in better ways. Midna's true form has obvious sexual qualities, but it's also a genuinely thoughtful character design that exudes tribal regality. Her boobs aren't the main focus of her design, but her sexuality is still a part of it. Telma's design is also obviously sexual and her boobs are a huge part of it, but she's also older, more mature, and not the "idealized" image of a young woman. Telma's design is more "fun" and Twilight Princess cracks a visual boob joke in nearly every scene she's in, but her more mature features balance it out and in-game she's more of a mother/mentor figure. You can have female character designs that feature their sexuality more heavily and which also treat it with respect.

Cia, on the other hand, is lazy character design that goes straight for the most obvious ways to emphasize her sexuality. The fact that her lust for Link, the main character, is one of her main motivations only makes it more eye-rolling.

Also yes, Ruto's design is pretty blatant. So is Twinrova's and the great fairies'. But this is 2014 and Cia is a completely original character designed entirely for this one game. It's not stretching for some people to be offended over having such a blatantly-lazily-designed character take up space in their ultra-Zelda-fanservice Dynasty Warriors game whose plot will in all honesty be just an excuse to cram as many playable Zelda characters into one game as possible.

Edit: Oh god no why does this have to be top comment

Excellent post. :)

That sounds terrible.

I'm pretty much the same, but I also have come to associate cheap and tacky fanservice like Cia's with anime and other Japanese stuff. As Capra said above, designs like Midna and Telma never bothered me because while those characters were very much in charge of their sexuality like Cia is, there's a lot more to the designs than just cheap fanservice.

And for the record - I have no problems with people cosplaying her. I'd go so far as to say I respect them for being that comfortable with their bodies, and the shit they have to deal with makes my blood boil. Cia's not a real person though, and I don't really think it's a fair equivalency. :/

zhorkat

Nothing wrong with criticising, never had any issue with it. I've never argued with anyone for simply disliking it. I argued when they mention such pandering hasn't existed before in Zelda or characters shouldn't be sexualised. Those I have issues with because their limiting the potential scope for any story for no real reason.

It's not as Nintendo is not the short of company that would shy away at the slightest bit of controversy for many of their games. If they can avoid it they often will, which is why I ague against that specific sentiment.

The people complaining are not limiting the potential scope of the game; they're commenting on the existing scope of the game. Nintendo being a company that tries to shy away from controversy is what limits the scope of their games. The solution to that is not to try and shut up everybody who might raise the tiniest bit of controversy. Also, just so you know, by arguing against people in this thread you're contributing to the controversy. :)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The people complaining are not limiting the potential scope of the game; they're commenting on the existing scope of the game. Nintendo being a company that tries to shy away from controversy is what limits the scope of their games. The solution to that is not to try and shut up everybody who might raise the tiniest bit of controversy. Also, just so you know, by arguing against people in this thread you're contributing to the controversy. :)

Nice putting words in people mouths. Great job there, always a good technique in an arguement...

Anyway what I'm pointing out is logical inconsistencies in their argument. Or at least I'm trying to. So rather than people saying she's a slut and shouldn't exist, they explain precisely why she shouldn't exist how does that alter the game and how different that is from previous games.

But go on then paint me as a censor of peoples opinions for all the good that'll do you.

Kinsei

Banned
And for the record - I have no problems with people cosplaying her. I'd go so far as to say I respect them for being that comfortable with their bodies, and the shit they have to deal with makes my blood boil. Cia's not a real person though, and I don't really think it's a fair equivalency. :/

Definitely. Anyone, man or woman, who criticizes a real woman because she doesn't fit with that persons perception of what a woman should look like can go fuck right off.

zhorkat

Nice putting words in people mouths. Great job there, always a good technique in an arguement...

Anyway what I'm pointing out is logical inconsistencies in their argument. Or at least I'm trying to. So rather than people saying she's a slut and shouldn't exist, they explain precisely why she shouldn't exist how does that alter the game and how different that is from previous games.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I wouldn't say that people in that situation would be limiting the scope of the game, they would just be using a premise to criticize the game that you find to be false. There's nothing wrong with pointing out logical inconsistencies. It's just that when you said previously "I argued when they mention ... characters shouldn't be sexualised", that sounded more like you were arguing against specific beliefs.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I wouldn't say that people in that situation would be limiting the scope of the game, they would just be using a premise to criticize the game that you find to be false. There's nothing wrong with pointing out logical inconsistencies. It's just that when you said previously "I argued when they mention ... characters shouldn't be sexualised", that sounded more like you were arguing against specific beliefs.

Yeah that's a belief I have I'm not trying to force it on someone else but I am trying to explain why I think that. They're free to put out issues with my argument to me as of course they do.

Please don't try to simplify this discussion into prudes hating on women's sexuality. Cia is a temptress because that's the character template she's based on. It's not exactly groundbreaking character design, and there have been tons of actually talented writers who have used that template as the foundation to create three-dimensional characters before (Melisandre from ASOIAF comes to mind). The problem here is that even though we haven't seen much of Hyrule Warriors' story, we already know it's not exactly a game that's aiming to redefine ancient tropes like that. It's a fanservice game for Zelda/DW fans, and Cia's design is just another insertion of the tired old "sexy powerful villainess temps chaste hero" convention.

No one should be arguing for the complete erasure of female sexuality from character design because sexuality is a huge part of being human. Female sexuality can be used to illustrate confidence, or as a tool for female characters to manipulate others, or just to show that a character is human and relatable, or any other myriad of ways. But the way it's being used here, as Cia's defining characteristic, comes off as blatant fanservice to appeal to the most prevalent portion of the fanbase with some fluffy backstory to justify the design.

It's not even as if Cia's design is really even that interesting in comparison to some others, and other female characters within the Zelda series have utilized sexuality in better ways. Midna's true form has obvious sexual qualities, but it's also a genuinely thoughtful character design that exudes tribal regality. Her boobs aren't the main focus of her design, but her sexuality is still a part of it. Telma's design is also obviously sexual and her boobs are a huge part of it, but she's also older, more mature, and not the "idealized" image of a young woman. Telma's design is more "fun" and Twilight Princess cracks a visual boob joke in nearly every scene she's in, but her more mature features balance it out and in-game she's more of a mother/mentor figure. You can have female character designs that feature their sexuality more heavily and which also treat it with respect.

Cia, on the other hand, is lazy character design that goes straight for the most obvious ways to emphasize her sexuality. The fact that her lust for Link, the main character, is one of her main motivations only makes it more eye-rolling.

Also yes, Ruto's design is pretty blatant. So is Twinrova's and the great fairies'. But this is 2014 and Cia is a completely original character designed entirely for this one game. It's not stretching for some people to be offended over having such a blatantly-lazily-designed character take up space in their ultra-Zelda-fanservice Dynasty Warriors game whose plot will in all honesty be just an excuse to cram as many playable Zelda characters into one game as possible.

Excellent points and post - I didn't mean for mine to come across as you've taken it though. I don't have issue with people not liking her design, in thinking that it's pandering or lazy or anything. I had issue with people saying she looked slutty, like a stripper, etc. Why is someone being a stripper some kind of terrible shameful thing? I have a good friend who's an EMT trying to become a paramedic who strips and dances, and she's a wonderful person. Saying her design is generic or pandering, that's fine. But making it out to seem like dressing that way is in some way a shameful thing is what I have a problem with. That's why I tied it in to cosplaying, because we all KNOW there will be girls dressing up like Cia in the future, and it's bullshit to think they'll be shamed and ridiculed for dressing in such a provocative way.

I can't say much on Minda because I haven't gotten to the part of the game where she's human, so I don't know how she acts or is depicted. From the art that's been posted, yes she looks sexual, but it's not as tantalizing or provocative as Cia. Some might argue that it's because she isn't as well endowed, others might say it's because she doesn't look human enough, etc. I don't really want to comment on her because I don't know enough, which is why I left her out of my list of overtly sexual Zelda characters.
Talma, you have excellent points as well. I was discussing this with my girlfriend earlier. The reason, we think, that Talma gets by without catching shit is precisely because she isn't the "standard" definition of beauty. Yes she has an enormous pair on her, but she's also older, has a thicker build, double chin, and most of the time as far as I've gotten, her sexuality is played for laughs. She's not presented in a sexual way the same way that Cia is or even the Great Fairies. If there was a game were Talma was younger and a little more spritely, things might be different and people might be complaining about her just as much. It's not just the character but the presentation too.

That sounds terrible.

Yeah, see, the difference you're seeing is that your problem with the design is that it's generic and uninspired Anime pap. That's totally fine! I think she looks really cool but I haven't seen enough anime or played enough of these kinds of games so she's a relatively new style for me. To me, it makes sense that she's a temptress, so she's gonna dress like that. She's also a witch, so she won't be involved in physical combat, so I'm more open to her not being restricted to wearing armor into battle. But I can understand the flip side of that too where people are more familiar with her "type" of character and are burnt out on it. I don't have a problem with that at all. My gripe was the slut shaming people were doing because of the way she's dressed, and others acting as if Zelda was some kind of sacred holy franchise that had never been desecrated with any kind of overtly sexual themes or characters before. Lest we not forget, OoT got recalled because it had *gasp* blood in it, too.

I only brought it up because real people will be dressing as her in the future, and it sets a bad precedent to act like any kind of revealing attire is shameful and bad.

Definitely. Anyone, man or woman, who criticizes a real woman because she doesn't fit with that persons perception of what a woman should look like can go fuck right off.
Agreed <3

Kinsei

Banned
Excellent points and post - I didn't mean for mine to come across as you've taken it though. I don't have issue with people not liking her design, in thinking that it's pandering or lazy or anything. I had issue with people saying she looked slutty, like a stripper, etc. Why is someone being a stripper some kind of terrible shameful thing? I have a good friend who's an EMT trying to become a paramedic who strips and dances, and she's a wonderful person. Saying her design is generic or pandering, that's fine. But making it out to seem like dressing that way is in some way a shameful thing is what I have a problem with. That's why I tied it in to cosplaying, because we all KNOW there will be girls dressing up like Cia in the future, and it's bullshit to think they'll be shamed and ridiculed for dressing in such a provocative way.

I can't say much on Minda because I haven't gotten to the part of the game where she's human, so I don't know how she acts or is depicted. From the art that's been posted, yes she looks sexual, but it's not as tantalizing or provocative as Cia. Some might argue that it's because she isn't as well endowed, others might say it's because she doesn't look human enough, etc. I don't really want to comment on her because I don't know enough, which is why I left her out of my list of overtly sexual Zelda characters.
Talma, you have excellent points as well. I was discussing this with my girlfriend earlier. The reason, we think, that Talma gets by without catching shit is precisely because she isn't the "standard" definition of beauty. Yes she has an enormous pair on her, but she's also older, has a thicker build, double chin, and most of the time as far as I've gotten, her sexuality is played for laughs. She's not presented in a sexual way the same way that Cia is or even the Great Fairies. If there was a game were Talma was younger and a little more spritely, things might be different and people might be complaining about her just as much. It's not just the character but the presentation too.

Yeah, see, the difference you're seeing is that your problem with the design is that it's generic and uninspired Anime pap. That's totally fine! I think she looks really cool but I haven't seen enough anime or played enough of these kinds of games so she's a relatively new style for me. To me, it makes sense that she's a temptress, so she's gonna dress like that. She's also a witch, so she won't be involved in physical combat, so I'm more open to her not being restricted to wearing armor into battle. But I can understand the flip side of that too where people are more familiar with her "type" of character and are burnt out on it. I don't have a problem with that at all. My gripe was the slut shaming people were doing because of the way she's dressed, and others acting as if Zelda was some kind of sacred holy franchise that had never been desecrated with any kind of overtly sexual themes or characters before. Lest we not forget, OoT got recalled because it had *gasp* blood in it, too.

I think the reason people use the stripper comparison is because people that use their bodies to make money but aren't professional models are considered lesser for some reason. I'll admit I have used comparisons to strippers and such before in a negative light (I don't think I've done it in this thread), but I've been trying to change that. I saw so much stuff as a kid saying strippers, prostitutes, etc were lesser people that I guess it got ingrained in my head. It's ridiculous how many "rules" there are for how a woman can or can't dress and act. At least it has been getting better over the years.

Yeah. I think the reason I latched onto the boobs is because of how close up the first screen shot was. We only really knew about her mask, her staff, and her boobs. I had no problems with the former two so it just had to be her boobs. Then when we started debating I just dug in my heels stubbornly because that's what I do (Isn't that such a great personality trait?/s) so when we got the full body pictures I didn't even bother to pay attention to them to see if maybe I could see something to better help explain my dislike of the character.

Capra

Thanks, and I agree. Women of all body types should feel comfortable with their sexualities and they should be able to express it by dressing however they want. I would respect anyone who felt comfortable enough with her body to cosplay a character like Cia. I just got fed up with people lazily quoting your post like five times in a row as if to say, "see, the design is good and you haters are prudes." Because it's the lazily exploitative aspect of the design and character itself I have a problem with and that's a legitimate reason for people to feel bothered by it.

Cia's one of the first original characters to be unveiled for this game and she probably won't be getting as much character development as some of the other Zelda characters from previous (longer, more story focused) games I mentioned. So her design doesn't strike me so much as an image of feminine empowerment through sexuality as it is using that sexuality to appeal to a perceived majority of the audience.

Not

Banned
Adding to the feminine Link comments, it's actually really hard to draw a rule 63 Link because he can always, ALWAYS pass for a girl already (except maybe in the official Twilight Princess art).

zoukka

I love the design of Link here. Everything else looks like trash but at least we have this great design from a project I expect nothing good from.

Thanks, and I agree. Women of all body types should feel comfortable with their sexualities and they should be able to express it by dressing however they want. I would respect anyone who felt comfortable enough with her body to cosplay a character like Cia. I just got fed up with people lazily quoting your post like five times in a row as if to say, "see, the design is good and you haters are prudes." Because it's the lazily exploitative aspect of the design and character itself I have a problem with and that's a legitimate reason for people to feel bothered by it.

Cia's one of the first original characters to be unveiled for this game and she probably won't be getting as much character development as some of the other Zelda characters from previous (longer, more story focused) games I mentioned. So her design doesn't strike me so much as an image of feminine empowerment through sexuality as it is using that sexuality to appeal to a perceived majority of the audience.
Too early to draw that distinction.

Mesoian

Maybe professionals won't think twice, but actual normal people? Yes. Not trying to sound snooty: have you been to any conventions ever? Working in the comics industry, I have been to a lot of them. I see the looks that girls get, I hear the remarks people make to themselves and to the girls cosplaying that are hurtful and inappropriate. It takes a lot of courage to dress up like certain comic/anime/game characters when you aren't a svelte professional model in a professionally made costume.

I've been on the con circuit for 10 years, cosplaying for 8, trust me, I've heard it all. I'm a person of color who cosplays, so yeah, I know fully well about the vitriol that ignorant mother fuckers have to say about other people who engage in a hobby that they would never even consider doing being they'd be too embarrassed. That being said though, those same comments I hear when I see a woman who doesn't have a 24 inch waistline doing a costume that shows off a lot of skin are the same comments I hear people on the street make when they see a larger woman in a sun dress. It's never fair.

It's never fair.

But those people are never going away. Ever. It's the first thing that cosplayers need to realize, that there's always going to be some dumb idiot behind you snickering because they don't get it. Look at Jessica Nigri, she is a model, she had a model's body, and people still poke fun at her behind her back because it's easy and they don't get it. That's not her fault, that's not the fault of the designer responsible for the character she's cosplaying as, that's not the fault of sexy apparel in general, that's just the ineviable snickering of the peanut gallery that will always be there. The dumb Woldorf and Statler wannabees that get their kicks from trying to tear down other people. Cosplayers everywhere have to realize that those people 100% do not matter. You cosplay for you and only you because the moment you start doing it for other people, you're going to run into the issue of trying to please those people, and you never ever will. Ever. Ever. EVER. Ever.

Ever.

It has nothing to do with dressing sexy, or revealing clothing, when I go to cons, I see people tearing down cosplayers all the time for the same reason, the methods they use are simply bottom of the barrel jabs because it's easiest, and in their mind, they're barely making any comment at all. It's the twitter thing, how it takes 2 seconds to say something incredibly hurtful, demeaning and that will ruin someone's day and in the mind of the person making the comment, they barely register saying anything at all. You HAVE too get past that. If you don't, you will never have fun as a cosplayer because that stuff is so omnipresent. In the span of 6 seconds, I have been told by total strangers that I was both too black, and not black enough to cosplay someone. I can't let that get to me in the same way women can't let the shitty pot shot of "christ, look at that skank, doesn't she have any self respect?!" get to them. It's hard, and it takes a lot of fucking backbone, but it's something that needs to happen.

I really hate that cosplayers get as much shit as they do.

2) It's awful. I don't go looking for it on tumblr, sometimes it gets reblogged by people I follow and I see it on my dash. But it's not just Internet People comments, there are stories from people who went to cons. I also went to WonderCon recently in LA, and for about an hour or so I walked around with a couple friends who were cosplaying as ... I think Scarlet Witch and Power Girl. People's reactions are disgusting, especially since Power Girl was a bit, ah, fuller-figured than she appears in the comics. :(

Groups help. When someone in your group is wearing something revealing, having a 6'3" 240 pound muscular guy behind reduces the noise. It's good for support in general, having like minded people that you can stand be around, it reminds you that things are alright.

I miss having a Zaibatsu.

Seems like underange girl pandering to me. Definitely seems like something certain players were meant gawk at (why is she completely topless).

Which is what makes that argument pointless. This difference between that and other this that it panders to entirely different subset, but it does pander (quite blatantly).

I find personally far more offensive as I don't find it appealing looking at the mostly naked body of a girl that could be underaged.

It's also reminiscent of some of shit I've seen in anime. So no this level of fan service is not new.

If you want to interpret it in that way, that's fine.
Personally, I think the TP fairy design isn't distasteful at all. It's actually pretty well done, like most of the Zelda team's character designs.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Top Bottom