• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am a bad driver, and have been pulled over 20+ times this year

Mohonky

Your a young male; easy pick up for cops. On top of which your car probably flags up with all your priors hence your worth folowing up.

The fact you keep giving them a reason doesnt help.

JCHandsom

what's california braking? never heard of this. i've never been pulled over.

Also known as a rolling stop. It's where you slow down at a stop sign but don't stop completely before heading through. I had a bad habit of doing it (live residential with a lot of stop signs, work late at night, developed the habit when driving home with nobody out) and I've worked at quitting it.

You're telling me, that when you pull up to an empty 4 way stop with no other cars on the road, you come to a complete stop every time? If you see a cop you make you do, but half the time it's reflexive.

Said bad habit is also why I DO try and come to a complete stop at stop signs, because my behavior isn't a switch I flip from "rolling stop at night/full stop in the day," it negatively affects my driving all the time. It hasn't been perfect, but I'd rather waste the extra second than absentmindedly run my car through a stop sign with other cars around.

your car probably flags up with all your priors hence your worth folowing up.

Yeah, you need to start following the rules to the letter in order to make this stop.

I had a "colorful" year in college where my driving record went to shit. For a couple years after that I got pulled over more than I ever have in the past. I decided to get my act together and begin to drive like a little old lady/man, and it worked. I've had two non moving violations over the last ten years and both of those were me back stupid and talking on my phone when driving, a habit I gave up finally.

It's actually very normal if my traffic school was correct.

I've paid my tickets, and most of my infractions were non speeding. All moving violations, like turn signals at a red light, I'm in a turn only lane, why do I have to turn on my blinkers.

You are a bad driver. Work on it or spend the rest of your life paying absurdly high insurance rates.

Imagine if you were putting the $4000+ a year you are wasting on insurance premiums into a retirement fund.

Horns

Knock on wood, it has been 10+ years since I've been pulled over. During that time I have received 2 speeding tickets from a camera and one red light camera ticket (made a left a half a second after red still my fault).

Drive better

Only been pulled over twice, both for tail light issues I didn't know about. Got a warning after being kind and honest about not knowing and took it to the shop that day.

American traffic cops are sneaky little bastards. I was driving on an American country road one night, and there was this guy in front of me who was driving 10 below the limit. I waited patiently until there was a long straight with no oncoming traffic, and then started accelerating and switch to the other lane to overtake. Of course, while I'm in the other lane to overtake, this fucker starts speeding up. So when I'm next to him, he is suddenly driving at the speed limit. I don't want to spend more time than necessary in the lane for oncoming traffic, so I start speeding up more. I'm five above then ten above. This piece of shit keeps matching my speed. Before deciding what to do next, I look in the rear-view mirror, and out of nowhere, there is a highway patrol car. As I was already significantly above the speed limit, I decided to cancel my attempt to overtake and fall back behind.

I was worried that what I had already done would have been enough for the cop to stop me, but luckily he didn't. Then the car in front of me pulls to the side to let us both pass a few minutes later. Where was that willingness to cooperate when the cop wasn't around, you prick. Moments later, the cop overakes me at 20+ above the limit and zooms ahead down the road, because I guess the law doesn't apply to police. The timing with which that police showed up. I wonder if I was being set up

Galang

Banned
Driving isn't for everyone. I think it's time you get off the road entirely. There are enough reckless drivers as it is.

_Ryo_

This thread is kind of silly. Its like asking "Does anyone else get burned a lot?" then immediately confessing to putting your arm in an oven without oven mits, fingers on a red stove eye, and spending time outside in 105F weather without wearing sun screen.

So, what Im saying ia stop breaking the law and you will recieve less tickets, just like if you dont touch hot things you will not be burned. As it is, you are burning yourself.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lmao stop doing all the illegal things you just mentioned. You realize they can see your record right? Once they see you're a bad driver (you've basically admitted that) they're going to be on you.

Your a young male; easy pick up for cops. On top of which your car probably flags up with all your priors hence your worth folowing up.

The fact you keep giving them a reason doesnt help.

OP is not a young male...dude is in his 30s. (I say this as someone in their 30s as well)

In my defense, I've never been in an accident and I've been driving for about 15 years.

OP you really need to learn how to drive safely. But judging by your posts in the Overwatch Troll thread I assume you just think you are the best driver in the world...the Michael Jordon of the automotive world as you would say so yourself.

Royce McCutcheon

OP is not a young male...dude is in his 30s. (I say this as someone in their 30s as well)

OP you really need to learn how to drive safely. But judging by your posts in the Overwatch Troll thread I assume you just think you are the best driver in the world...the Michael Jordon of the automotive world as you would say so yourself.

I'm 28, I've been driving since my teens. And yes, I would say I'm a decent driver, It's not like in switching lanes without my blinkers. It really do be on some petty shit most of the time. I've never received complaints from passengers, I don't get honked at. No accidents, no fender benders. There are worse drivers with no tickets out there.

Risible

Wait, the OP is in his 30s?? Holy shit grow up and start driving like a fucking adult, I assumed you were like 19 from your post.

Edit: I see it's 28. Point still stands.

Linkura

Probably does have a lot to do with your skin color to be honest. If I were black I'd be the most cautious motherfucker on the road. Driving while black in America really does seem to be a violation in itself according to most police. It's terrible.

Royce McCutcheon

Wait, the OP is in his 30s?? Holy shit grow up and start driving like a fucking adult, I assumed you were like 19 from your post.

Edit: I see it's 28. Point still stands.

Age has nothing to do with driving skill, a 24 year old with 8 years of experience will likely drive better than a 30 year old getting his first car.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm 28, I've been driving since my teens. And yes, I would say I'm a decent driver, It's not like in switching lanes without my blinkers. It really do be on some petty shit most of the time. I've never received complaints from passengers, I don't get honked at. No accidents, no fender benders. There are worse drivers with no tickets out there.

Well let's starts with lesson 1: yes you use your blinkers in a turn lane. Even if it's a turn only lane. Your job as a driver is to make your current and future actions abundantly clear to all other drivers on the road. You should be telegraphing every move you make to other drivers. You should break softly, come to full stops, not take off quickly from stops, use blinkers for every lane change, every turn (even a turn into your own drive way).

Pretend other drivers are mindless robots that can't operate correctly unless you are feeding them information about what you are doing. Also pretend these robots want to kill you, because of all the ways there are to die in life, traffic accidents are one of the highest percent chances.

If you hate signaling move to NY, no one does it here and no one ever gets ticketed for it

Your other option is to sacrifice some of your precious gaming time and instead of talking shit to your teammates, learn how to drive

shem935

Banned
I got pulled over for doing 4 over while slowing down. Solution: religiously drive the speed limit and watch for cops. Haven't been pulled over since.

rjinaz

Also known as a rolling stop. It's where you slow down at a stop sign but don't stop completely before heading through. I had a bad habit of doing it (live residential with a lot of stop signs, work late at night, developed the habit when driving home with nobody out) and I've worked at quitting it.

Said bad habit is also why I DO try and come to a complete stop at stop signs, because my behavior isn't a switch I flip from "rolling stop at night/full stop in the day," it negatively affects my driving all the time. It hasn't been perfect, but I'd rather waste the extra second than absentmindedly run my car through a stop sign with other cars around.

I used to do it at every stop. Then one day I got pulled over in a work truck. I was working security and the cops in the area tended to take it easy on us so I only got a warning, and it's a good thing otherwise I would have lost my job.

Anyway, after that moment I have come to a complete stop every time. It's been about 10 years now.

OP learn from your mistakes, you're going to driving safety classes, maybe pay better attention. Though I have no doubt some profiling is happening at times.

I got pulled over for doing 4 over while slowing down. Solution: religiously drive the speed limit and watch for cops. Haven't been pulled over since.

Damn that's harsh. I always keep it at 5 over. I have never been pulled over for speeding.

Risible

Age has nothing to do with driving skill, a 24 year old with 8 years of experience will likely drive better than a 30 year old getting his first car.

You seem completely incapable of understanding skill has nothing to do with it. Following the rules of the road isn't "skill." If you were getting into lots of accidents that would speak to your driving skills. Getting moving violations speaks to your utter unwillingness to adhere to the rules of the road.

Number_6

I had to put $548 down payment to Geico before they gave me mah policy, I pay $367 a month.

Holy shit. That's like, six times my insurance!

Learn to not drive like an asshole. Or keep contributing financially to your local police department. And Geico.

You don't have a lawyer. That would mean you listen to someone.

Please. Just take a look at fucking Trump (who has lawyers), and realize your mistake.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

You're taking a very woe as me approach to this and trying to put the blame on everyone but yourself. I have to say it's sad that you're doing that to this degree at 28 years old. You need some serious self reflection.

Risible

Your other option is to sacrifice some of your precious gaming time and instead of talking shit to your teammates, learn how to drive

Hold the fuck up - is OP the edgy guy from the Overwatch thread that likes to talk shit to his teammates to"improve" them? Because that would explain A LOT.

I gotta say dude, you sound like a terrible and irresponsible driver who deserves to get pulled over. I've read through the thread and it sounds like you know this and just want to avoid getting caught or something, which hopefully will never happen, because you endanger more than just yourself when you drive like this.

You've been pulled over more in one year than me and my wife combined...in our entire driving history.

You need to take a deep breath, develop some self-awareness, and realize that you're the problem here. It's not the system, it's not the other bad drivers who don't get ticketed, it's not whatever other excuse you've got swimming around ready at a moment's notice next time you screw up.

It's you. The problem is you.

Well what do you expect when you don't signal or do complete stops?

I mean, I understand that being black certainly isn't helping you but you aren't exactly on your best driving behavior here.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The other thing is with how op has continuously downplayed his actions, I would be willing to bet what he does is worse than he says, which is already enough to get tickets.

The other thing is with how op has continuously downplayed his actions, I would be willing to bet what he does is worse than he says, which is already enough to get tickets.

These tickets, like having open alcohol in the car, also only reflect times he was caught. Somebody who gets pulled over for that doesn't usually get caught the only time they've ever done it, they just got caught that particular time.

I look forward to another thread next year where OP loses his license and blames the system for failing guys like him.

Greddleok

A lot of these were small petty shit like not signaling or California braking after a cop has tailed me for 5 damn minutes.

I don't think a car going the same direction as you for 5 minutes can be considered "tailing."

Also, what's California braking? I assume "breaking" spelled wrong, but google just finds me news websites.

Hold the fuck up - is OP the edgy guy from the Overwatch thread that likes to talk shit to his teammates to"improve" them? Because that would explain A LOT.

Also the guy who made a thread about how cool nepotism is because it scored him a high-paying job he isn't qualified for.

We're possibly being pranked.

Always be aware of your surroundings and pin point the areas where you've been most likely to have been pulled over. Minding your speed and obeying everyday traffic laws coupled with knowing police locations can help you it seems.

Chozoman

Banned
_QAuCfwigcHSzK8ZtE1-Bzy9dQg=.gif

Chorazin

"A lot of these were small petty shit like not signaling or California braking after a cop has tailed me for 5 damn minutes."

It's still illegal dude, just stop doing that shit and drive with respect to the laws. They make those laws so bad drivers LIKE YOU don't kill someone.

Royce McCutcheon

You've been pulled over more in one year than me and my wife combined...in our entire driving history.

You need to take a deep breath, develop some self-awareness, and realize that you're the problem here. It's not the system, it's not the other bad drivers who don't get ticketed, it's not whatever other excuse you've got swimming around ready at a moment's notice next time you screw up.

It's you. The problem is you.

I get that the violation happened and I committed it, call it poor driving or whatever, but the amount of shit people get away with and they find on me is too much to not be profiling. I got pulled over for "Accelerating to fast after a red light" or "Failure to yield" on a zipper merge. I hadn't even press the pedal. I can own up to the fact that the violations happened, but the frequency at which I get pulled over for them is not cool.

"A lot of these were small petty shit like not signaling or California braking after a cop has tailed me for 5 damn minutes."

It's still illegal dude, just stop doing that shit and drive with respect to the laws. They make those laws so bad drivers LIKE YOU don't kill someone.

I've been trying to drive like a grandma, but the minute the police run my plate, I got a hound chasing me until the inevitable happens.

Top Bottom