• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

I play this on vita every morning before work but my hands get cramped up pretty quickly. Hope the PS4 port isn't too far off. What system do most of you play on?

NotSelf

I play this on vita every morning before work but my hands get cramped up pretty quickly. Hope the PS4 port isn't too far off. What system do most of you play on?

I'm currently playing it on pc using a DS3 i'm happy with it. But most every member agrees that DS4 is the best option.

I'll happily buy it again on PS4 if it has new features and more achievements to unlock.

Who am I kidding I will buy it again.

Kerned

Banned

I play it on Vita every night right before bed. Occasionally play a game in the living room on the PS3, but I strongly prefer the Vita.

I'll happily buy it again on PS4 if it has new features and more achievements to unlock.

Who am I kidding I will buy it again.

Yea I'm looking forward to playing on PS4 and cross-buy is great since I've already got the vita version.

Now I just need to get better at this game. I still haven't made it past the ice cave yet...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You learn something new every day. I'm watching one of ZeroDoxy's early Spedoxy videos and she went into a Kissing Booth with the intent of purchasing the damsel to sacrifice and ended up paying for a kiss. Surprised she went back, picked it up and I thought she was just going to steal it. Instead the shopkeeper walked up to her and displayed a price. For about 150% of the cost of a kiss you can just outright purchase a damsel?! I did not know this!

Whaaaaaat?

Kerned

Banned
You learn something new every day. I'm watching one of ZeroDoxy's early Spedoxy videos and she went into a Kissing Booth with the intent of purchasing the damsel to sacrifice and ended up paying for a kiss. Surprised she went back, picked it up and I thought she was just going to steal it. Instead the shopkeeper walked up to her and displayed a price. For about 150% of the cost of a kiss you can just outright purchase a damsel?! I did not know this!

Whaaaaaat?

Holy shit. You just pick it up to prompt a purchase price?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I need to test this out myself. But I replayed it. She bought a kiss first thinking it would purchase. Then picked it up, and he walked over to her, charged her 12,000 and said "You must be in love". Then let her leave.

I don't know if you need to kiss her first, or if that was optional. (Since you could buy a bunch of kisses then purchase it for one last health or sacrifice and maximize your damsel usage.)

Try it next time. Just pick her up and see if a prompt shows up.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I need to test this out myself. But I replayed it. She bought a kiss first thinking it would purchase. Then picked it up, and he walked over to her, charged her 12,000 and said "You must be in love". Then let her leave.

I don't know if you need to kiss her first, or if that was optional. (Since you could buy a bunch of kisses then purchase it for one last health or sacrifice and maximize your damsel usage.)

Try it next time. Just pick her up and see if a prompt shows up.

You can always buy them, you don't need to get a kiss first. I generally do it when there's an altar because it's tough to kill the shopkeeper without getting the damsel murdered.

Ended up double dipping on pc. I picked up my copy in a psn sale for $3 and wanted to support the devs more. Plays nicely with a ps3 pad.

doesn't help me suck less though

v1perz53

After three months of owning this game I finally made it to hell for the first time tonight! Made it all the way to yama where I proceeded to panic and lost both bomb boxes from ox head and horse face, leaving me with three bombs after getting rid of the spike pillars. I got both hands down, but unfortunately died to ceiling debris after that because I was unfamiliar with the fight and thought there was no more after the hands were down. So close, I can almost taste it! Didn't even have a jetpack, though that might have been a blessing. Could have really used a kapala tho.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
After three months of owning this game I finally made it to hell for the first time tonight! Made it all the way to yama where I proceeded to panic and lost both bomb boxes from ox head and horse face, leaving me with three bombs after getting rid of the spike pillars. I got both hands down, but unfortunately died to ceiling debris after that because I was unfamiliar with the fight and thought there was no more after the hands were down. So close, I can almost taste it! Didn't even have a jetpack, though that might have been a blessing. Could have really used a kapala tho.
The hands aren't important. Only the head matters. The hands are separate "enemy entities" which are only there to make it hard for you. As long as you take out the head. Once the head is dead, the idle hands become devil's playthings. Wherein you are the devil.

Kerned

Banned
I finally beat Yama last night AND made it to the exit without dying. Hooray! Now I just have two trophies left: 'Seen it All' and 'Speedlunky.' 'Seen it All' should be relatively easy, all that's missing is Vlad. 'Speedlunky' though... I feel like going for that is going to require that I learn to play the game in an entirely different way. I'm looking forward to it though. There was a definitely a time when I thought there was no way I would ever manage to beat Olmec, let alone Yama. One of the things I love so much about this game is how one's improvement is so easily measurable. I'm sure I'll get that 8 minute run eventually, it'll just take some practice.

Celegus

Vita all the way, playing on PS3 just feels clumsy now.

I finally beat Yama last night AND made it to the exit without dying. Hooray! Now I just have two trophies left: 'Seen it All' and 'Speedlunky.' 'Seen it All' should be relatively easy, all that's missing is Vlad. 'Speedlunky' though... I feel like going for that is going to require that I learn to play the game in an entirely different way. I'm looking forward to it though. There was a definitely a time when I thought there was no way I would ever manage to beat Olmec, let alone Yama. One of the things I love so much about this game is how one's improvement is so easily measurable. I'm sure I'll get that 8 minute run eventually, it'll just take some practice.
I'm sure you can do it if you've taken down Yama, although that was the hardest trophy for me to get. I feel like half of my 800 deaths were failed attempts at Speedlunky ending on 1-1 or 1-2. It's rough. I generally tried to grab at least $4000 on 1-1 to buy a compass on 1-2, but if there was jetpack or something I'd steal it. As long as you don't forget about them, you can still do 8 minutes even with shopkeepers mad.

Yesterday's daily was quite difficult at times, with nary a mobility item like a Jetpack or Cape and no Jar of Sticky Stuff whatsoever. Bombs and ropes weren't particularly plentiful as well. Was feeling satisfied that I was triumphant against Yama, but then:

7thof5daily8okfx.png
1461muktl.gif

One of the rotating spiked ball & chain traps over at Yama's Throne did startle me something fierce though:

vknkdi.gif

madp0k

I'm really loving the game but I appear to be very bad at it, got to the jungle once so far, nevermind once more into the fray

Celegus

I'm really loving the game but I appear to be very bad at it, got to the jungle once so far, nevermind once more into the fray

Everyone starts bad, but as long as you're enjoying yourself and not getting frustrated, you'll get way better before you realize it. Trust me, that's the true beauty of Spelunky.

madp0k

Everyone starts bad, but as long as you're enjoying yourself and not getting frustrated, you'll get way better before you realize it. Trust me, that's the true beauty of Spelunky.

I like the fact that every time you die you realise its usually your fault for not dealing with whatever obstacle properly and that you work little things out your self, I learnt that using a rope next to the gold icon to get out of the way of the boulder was a good thing to do and that if the gods are smiling the shop keeper will be nearby aswell for free swag . Great game.

I like the fact that every time you die you realise its usually your fault for not dealing with whatever obstacle properly and that you work little things out your self, I learnt that using a rope next to the gold icon to get out of the way of the boulder was a good thing to do and that if the gods are smiling the shop keeper will be nearby aswell for free swag . Great game.

I usually skip the idol in 1-2 because angering the shopkeeper before the black market is a bad idea (unless you can get a jetpack out of it) and because the boulder often crushes the money and gems and crates in the level. I do grab it if the shopkeeper is above the idol which happens but not very often.

theytookourjobz

I usually skip the idol in 1-2 because angering the shopkeeper before the black market is a bad idea (unless you can get a jetpack out of it) and because the boulder often crushes the money and gems and crates in the level. I do grab it if the shopkeeper is above the idol which happens but not very often.

No way. Kill the first shopkeeper you see and everyone thereafter.

Ok lets do a cost/benefit analysis. If you kill the first shopkeeper you hopefully get a free boost in 1-2 in the form of bombs (hopefully) and a shotgun, maybe even a cape or jetpack but not usually. What you lose is an easy Black Market raid, all stores from then on are empty, and you have to deal with a shopkeeper at each exit which isn't difficult but isn't worth the time/bombs you might have to use to kill him. I think I would rather keep the peace with the shopkeepers and get the easy Black Market raid (as in the ice caves the shop keeper at the exit usually jumps into the Abyss at the first sight of you) and you still get the benefit of stocking up on bombs at every store you see, and you'll definetly get a shotgun at the black market anyway. So I think it's better to wait for the Black market though I'd love to hear why you disagree.

Kerned

Banned
Ok lets do a cost/benefit analysis. If you kill the first shopkeeper you hopefully get a free boost in 1-2 in the form of bombs (hopefully) and a shotgun, maybe even a cape or jetpack but not usually. What you lose is an easy Black Market raid, all stores from then on are empty, and you have to deal with a shopkeeper at each exit which isn't difficult but isn't worth the time/bombs you might have to use to kill him. I think I would rather keep the peace with the shopkeepers and get the easy Black Market raid (as in the ice caves the shop keeper at the exit usually jumps into the Abyss at the first sight of you) and you still get the benefit of stocking up on bombs at every store you see, and you'll definetly get a shotgun at the black market anyway. So I think it's better to wait for the Black market though I'd love to hear why you disagree.

I would like to chime in and say that this is the exact right approach. Unless an earlier shop has a couple of bomb crates or a jetpack (and I can't afford to buy them all), I won't anger any shopkeepers prior to the Black Market. I can successfully rob a Black Market about 90% of the time unless it's already hostile, in which case the whole situation becomes far harder to manage.

theytookourjobz

Even though it only happens every once in awhile, the chance of a black market keeper getting aggro'd by something you have no control over is very real. Best to go into the black market prepared to do battle as soon as you spawn. Also, you'll miss a vault in the mines and the shops are definitely not empty if you kill shopkeepers.

No. Shopkeeper's only worth killing if you get a good shop (read: Jetpack or multiple Bomb Boxes). Anything less is potentially setting yourself up for failure, given the random nature of the game. I used to kill every shopkeeper on sight, but I'd increasingly run into situations or level lay-outs where I had to spend more bombs than I would've liked, since I couldn't safely drop down to line up a kill with a shotgun. Never mind that I regretted it when the RNG had a little mean streak going, like for instance providing very little additional bombs, or no Paste, or...

I know that with enough experience you could still pull off a succesful Yama run against the odds 'cause I've done it myself, but it only needlessly complicates matters if you rob a shop that for example only sells a Web Gun, a Boomerang, a Machete and a Shotgun. Better off peacefully managing your resources until the Black Market or an easy-to-access Vault if you're aiming for highscores. The money you collectively gain from the shopkeeper's gold nuggets is also rather insignificant, in the grand scheme of it all.

Even though it only happens every once in awhile, the chance of a black market keeper getting aggro'd by something you have no control over is very real. Best to go into the black market prepared to do battle as soon as you spawn. Also, you'll miss a vault in the mines and the shops are definitely not empty if you kill shopkeepers.

I don't know if it's just the ice caves but some percentage of the shops are only cobwebs and a wanted poster and a shopkeeper walking back and forth. I've never seen the Black Market go aggro for no reason, the entrances are usually 1 square so the chances of a red frog blowing up in a shop is pretty remote. It's a lot easier to do the black market if you can blow up the ground next to the first shop and throw a rope up before they start trying to blast you. The vaults are nice in the mines especially if you can ghost them but I'm not sure they are worth the bombs & risk & time it takes to get to them. I guess it would be worth it if it were an easily ghostable mine and I had a surplus of bombs but that's pretty rare for me in the mines.

Duster

The game has finally taken pity on me as it was nice enough to leave a jetpack laying around in the mines two runs in a row, that helped me finally reach the City of gold, sadly I screwed up against Olmec before I could go to hell.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Successfully cooking a bomb makes you feel like such a boss. There's a lot of things like that in this game. I get the same feeling when I whip down an arrow or ghost some gems as well
I whipped down an arrow by accident once. Accidentally hit the whip button just as I fell in front of the trap. I can never do it when I try. Ever. Then again I rarely try.

My friend who is terrible at the game can do it with almost 100% success though.

Edit: Oh, and I got to the city of gold last night and got crushed when I inched out a pixel too far to throw a bomb at a shopkeeper at the exit. Instead of taking the safe route and destroying the damn thwomp first.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't know if it's just the ice caves but some percentage of the shops are only cobwebs and a wanted poster and a shopkeeper walking back and forth. I've never seen the Black Market go aggro for no reason, the entrances are usually 1 square so the chances of a red frog blowing up in a shop is pretty remote. It's a lot easier to do the black market if you can blow up the ground next to the first shop and throw a rope up before they start trying to blast you. The vaults are nice in the mines especially if you can ghost them but I'm not sure they are worth the bombs & risk & time it takes to get to them. I guess it would be worth it if it were an easily ghostable mine and I had a surplus of bombs but that's pretty rare for me in the mines.

Empty shops just mean you didn't notice when the hired help gleefully threw himself into the abyss as soon as the level started when you had shopkeeper aggro.

Still haven't learned my lesson with explosives in the caves. I had 15 hearts, a jetpack, a shotgun, the ankh, 70 bombs, and a very promising look at my first time in Hell. Then I stepped on a UFO in close quarters, good bye ankh. I go to find my shotgun and decided whipping a yeti is a good idea so he tosses me until my death.

Thanks for the ego check, Spelunky.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Still haven't learned my lesson with explosives in the caves. I had 15 hearts, a jetpack, a shotgun, the ankh, 70 bombs, and a very promising look at my first time in Hell. Then I stepped on a UFO in close quarters, good bye ankh. I go to find my shotgun and decided whipping a yeti is a good idea so he tosses me until my death.

Thanks for the ego check, Spelunky.

Don't whip the yeti.

v1perz53

God damn Spelunky
and by that I mean god damn my own incompetence
. Every time I have a good run going I make a stupid mistake, and every time I play perfectly RNG is not in my favor. Just had a run with no giant spider spawn in the mines and not a single Paste jar in any of the shops. Got to Anubis but man is he way harder without sticky bombs. Only two trophies I have left are 500k run and killing Yama, I just wish I was a bit more consistent at reaching hell. And 500k, ugh. For some reason I am god awful at ghosting, not sure I will ever get this one. But for some reason I got Speedlunky in a day or two of trying. Oh well, back to trying for a good item spawn seed.

madmook

No need for ghosting to get $500,000. I never ghost, and a hell run should get you over $600,000 easy. It's like $240,000 just getting the rubies on the Yama level with the end-game bonus.

v1perz53

No need for ghosting to get $500,000. I never ghost, and a hell run should get you over $600,000 easy. It's like $240,000 just getting the rubies on the Yama level with the end-game bonus.

Ahh thanks for letting me know, I actually just got this trophy on a non hell run (god damn Hedjet). Did get lucky with three vaults in ice caves that were super easy to ghost. Now all I need to do to 100% this game is a finished hell run with killing a succubus and getting a spike ball in the journal. Thank god vita version doesn't have the low scorer trophy, that one looks like a pain in the ass. Also, can you get a journal entry for a trap by destroying it or do you have to be killed by it? Meaning, to get spike ball in my journal do I really need to waste a hell run?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
YEAAAAAAAAAAAH! 998th playthrough, first 1 million dollar game. It's been months since I beat Yama, I slowed down to a halt when I started playing Dark Souls in December and when I came back to Spelunky I took a while to get back into the groove. Can't stay away though. Still haven't gotten the team achievement or low scorer, both for lack of really trying. Maybe I'll get there eventually.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
1 million is my next goal. Aside from that all I need is Speedlunky and No Gold. Both of which I've had terrible luck. Until then my $700,000+ high score is enough to keep me happy.

v1perz53

Ahh finally killed Yama and got through hell! Though there was some iffy shit at the end, after killing Yama I had two hearts left and there were two vampires on the ceiling I hadn't noticed that almost knocked me all the way down into spikes. Luckily the Vita version has some FPS drops, so I was able to react in time. Never thought I would be thanking an FPS drop.

Anyway, interestingly in all the times I've been to hell, I've never seen a succubus, so the only thing keeping me from 100% trophies in this game is getting one of those in my journal. What an odd final trophy to need.

But damn does it feel good when you do something in this game you've been trying to do for a while.

gruenel

Just a heads up, the 1.03 patch has just been released for Vita (probably PS3 too). Pro HUD is now available amongst other changes.

Trying to beat the game the hard away I've done a lot of stupid things but the one that has caused me to take a break for a while is pressing a button a fraction too fast. I've beat the game the 'normal' way several times now. spent ages struggling on hard way runs, doing countless stupid things along the way and making a real meal of it

but then I got a run where everything clicked,

50 bombs, every good item, I even managed to get a 3rd reward from kali's altar which I'd never done in like a zillion games, which gave my 14 hearts. got the ankh and $300,000. I died on the ice cave, BUT THEN I PRESSED L TOO SOON WHICH MEANT THE GAME DIDN'T GIVE ME THE FUCKING HOOD.

I might have still thrown it away in the temple but still, I've taken a break from this game as a result for a while. mad does not come close to describing it.

great I'm top of the page, now everyone will point and laugh :(

Top Bottom