• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am completely floored by this Chinese PC handheld (AokZoe A1 Pro)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
If it had SteamOS or something other than windows it would be temping.
Whats the performance on the rdna3 apu?
At 25-28W it trades blows with Series S in modern titles. Several cases where it actually runs better and/or with additional features (like RT).
Of course - CPU is significantly more powerful too, and more ram helps - so it varies by where the bottlenecks are - and it doesn't need to go above 1200P.

Windows 11 has its quirks - but if you mostly game in Steam, it doesn't matter much. And I've had decent luck with other stores (troubleshooting compatibility on those isn't a thing).
Ironically the biggest issues I ran into with Windows and handhelds is using a wireless controller. Not because hw wouldn't work (no issues there) - but because Windows is quite broken with handling of I/O devices - so if you have a built-in controller in the system - many games (especially stuff published by Microsoft - ironically) will just use that and ignore all other controller inputs. So then you need to resort to special sw to 'hide' the built-in controller from the game to play it on the big screen.
Not really an issue with Steam games (since that virtualizes controllers for the games) - mostly I ran into it with GamePass software really.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

If you're ordering one, just remember there is an import tax from China depending where you live. Some get hit pretty hard at the customs.

Did you get hit with customs? Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

If you're already docking the handheld, why not just pick it up when you travel?
That's how I have mine setup - there's mag-safe type USB connectors now to make it even easier to plug&play and not worry about wearing down the port (though A1 Pro makes this nicer since you can actually dock it on the top/bottom depending on what works better (as both top and bottom USB-C is 4.0).

It's a bit of a hassle with the Ally and XG Mobile. It doesn't work as seamless as I thought it would plus it's a bit buggy. So I rather have it docked, because then it performs flawlessly. The ROG Ally is a nice handheld but the weak battery is pretty annoying I must admit. I thought it wouldn't be, because I seldom game for more than 2 hours on a handheld anyway, but it drives me nuts anyway 😃

Can you recommend some of these Usb-c type Egpus? Do you have such a setup? Would be nice to see how it looks. Slide my DMs with some pics if you'd like 😉

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Having used both SteamOS and W11 on handhelds now, I just prefer Windows. All my games just work. No weird Proton bugs. No online incompatibility. I press Start and then I'm in-game. Desktop Linux was just too much to learn in handheld form. With some neat shortcut buttons, W11 works.

The Phawx has the best benchmarks. The 7840u really shines at 20W.

I'd still rather have the taylored linux experience.

The shortfalls of gaming on linux are a non-issue for me on a handheld (FPS anti-cheat and VR). Arch linux is simply a better operating system than Windows NT.

Dr.Morris79

I just do not feel comfortable spending that much, on a device coming from China, with zero support. I'll occasionally buy an Anbernic or Powkiddy device for emulators. They feel cheap and if something breaks good luck getting the company to stand behind their product and fix it. I'm gonna stick with my Steam Deck. At least i can buy replacement parts easily on ifixit if needed.
Thats how I feel on it and i'm the same with Anbernic etc. Spending this much to have something go wrong and have an utter nightmare on the return just puts me off, as much as I'd like one.

One of my first Steam Decks SD card port went pop, it corrupted cards then totally failed, within two weeks I had a brand new Deck, I couldnt fault Valves customer service and it was less than half price of this device.

Mr Hyde

Saw this video from Retro Game Corps. Very informative and thorough review, as always from Russ. A1 pro is a damn sexy device, I must say. It has pretty much everything going for it, except it's coming from China, and software support will most likely be at a bare minimum. I have zero experience buying tech from China. How is the warranty if something breaks? If you must send the device back? Is customer support in Chinese? These are things going through my mind when thinking about buying A1 pro. The reason I bought an Ally is because Asus is a legit company in my country with a big presence and reliable customer service. Warranty is 3 years so if shit hits the fan I just send it back and they either repair it or I get a new one. Not really sure that's happening if I buy an A1 pro.

Last edited:

FingerBang

As great as these new devices sound, I'm not even going to consider anything that doesn't have VRR and 120hz for lfc

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Are you sure? I saw it running Flight SIM at ~30fps on low settings.
I mean you make that sound like it means something.
I wouldn't know what PC equivalent setting consoles got. But anyway - I'll try to run the game when it actually downloads. 3 years running it's still the same horrifically broken install experience as at launch - even on a 1GB connection it's unstable and takes forever.

But on the actual topic - I said they trade blows - not that all of 5000 odd or so games that both can run have identical performance.
There's titles where I've seen A1 do better (Forza, Ascent, Scorn) and then there's some where it underperformed badly (RDR2 was one 'highlight' for me). And plenty others where there's nothing much between them.

Klosshufvud

Did you get hit with customs? Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?
No, since I bought used from my country.

Saw this video from Retro Game Corps. Very informative and thorough review, as always from Russ. A1 pro is a damn sexy device, I must say. It has pretty much everything going for it, except it's coming from China, and software support will most likely be at a bare minimum. I have zero experience buying tech from China. How is the warranty if something breaks? If you must send the device back? Is customer support in Chinese? These are things going through my mind when thinking about buying A1 pro. The reason I bought an Ally is because Asus is a legit company in my country with a big presence and reliable customer service. Warranty is 3 years so if shit hits the fan I just send it back and they either repair it or I get a new one. Not really sure that's happening if I buy an A1 pro.

No doubt legitimate concerns. I must admit I haven't been doing much research on their customer support. I know shipping to and from China takes a long time, so obviously just that means customer support will suffer. There is a Discord I'm in that is helpful though. In the end, it's a gamble purchasing a product like this, but so far it's been a gamble that has paid off. We'll see how long that bliss will last :)

Don't worry they'll release a newer model every month
I'm personally hoping that with the quick migration to 7840u, things will settle for a while. There is no real upgrade on the coming horizon regarding these low-wattage APUs from AMD's roadmaps. The 6800U was lacking in some aspects and mobo compatibility meant these vendors could make a record fast transition to 7840u. But bear in mind, this is as current as a chip can be. I don't see any plausible upgraded systems coming out in the short term. Probably just more variants of the 7840u in different form factors.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

Oh nice, a CCP spyware machine for the price 2 gallons of slave blood and 1000 freedom bux, that seeks to undermine my privacy to make China strong!
What a deal!

Last edited:

Darko

Im waiting for a fold design (that’s pocketbable) with a keyboard and a oled screen… there’s the win gpd mini but no oled screen :(

Edit: 120hz tho.. hmm

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Shameless bump here but gotta share. Playing RDR2 on this thing. 1200p, 30 fps, 15W with very cool and quiet fans and battery life of 3h+.

5KKIJ6s.jpg

1MycxnO.jpg

b1FqmKa.jpg

XNhQGlK.jpg

A jaw dropping experience no doubt to be playing this blockbuster AAA release on a handheld. I have to pinch myself at times to remind myself it's real.

Top Bottom