• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I beat Resident Evil 4 for the first time. I still don't like tank controls.

With controls like that, the main guy should be able to park in handicap spots.

Though if he can't walk and shoot then he probably doesn't have the capacity to drive.

jett

D-Member
What the hell is this first page? RE4 has tank controls. This forum is sometimes unbelievable.

edit: Oh the entire thread has gone on about this shit. What the fuck?

jett

D-Member
People were trying to dogpile and sound smart and witty and ended up embarrassing themselves.

This is like a reverse thread backfire of sorts. I guess some people are just mindlessly desperate to defend their favorite game tooth and nail against the slightest whiffs of criticisms. What is wrong with some of you, I mean, really.

More on topic, there's a reason RE4's tank controls mostly died with that game (except for Godhand, because Mikami is just a crazy person I guess). What endured was its of use of camera perspectives: the over the shoulder view paired with the subtle zooming-in when aiming, forever establishing the basics of the third-person shooting genre. However, your character being locked to the camera did not endure.

But movement, brehs? That shit more or less works in RE4 since the game is designed around it, but it nevertheless feels dated, cumbersome and uncomfortable in the face of how much progress this genre has seen in over a decade. Being forced to unnaturally move in a mostly single straight-line with entirely independent turning controls as if you were some sort of machine is the very definition of tank controls. That did not fucking endure either.

Semajer

Aiming without the auto aim of the old games should prove a challenge.

I meant a way to switch between the Japanese and intentional camera angles during the Ashley section. People have modded RE4 to have 3rd person camera and it breaks the gunplay. You can't see shit.

emag

How do so many people not realise RE4 has tank controls?

There's no consensus on what the term "tank controls" means.

Stop to shoot? Lack of strafing? Camera-irrespective controls? Each has its own proponents in this thread.

And then there are the even further arguments that circle strafe running is a more natural form of movement than RE4's wider turns.

Aters

This is my problem with almost all the classic 3D games: RE, MGS, you name it. They just feel incredibly clunky compared to modern games. I can get into the older 2D classics no problem.

I'm confused.

Is RE5 using tank controls?

RE5 has 4 different control schemes and 2 different control styles. Type D (Which is the default in all japanese versions, except for the newest PS4 remaster.) is exactly like RE4's controls, unmistakingly tank controls.

Type A however (The default in all western versions.) lets you strafe with the left stick as long as you're not running. It's implementation is pretty half-assed and useless though (And you get less camera control.). Also, it looks bad. RE5 was still designed around the tank controls, and the new strafe style was added late during development, after playtesters couldn't handle the original tank controls.

Stop to shoot? Lack of strafing? Camera-irrespective controls? Each has its own proponents in this thread.

And then there are the even further arguments that circle strafe running is a more natural form of movement than RE4's wider turns.

There is a consensus! It's when a character controls like a tank. Ergo, tank controls. I don't know how it could be more obvious.

Anybody saying otherwise is making up their own dumb, illogical definition.

There is a consensus! It's when a character controls like a tank. Ergo, tank controls. I don't know how it could be more obvious.

Mind you, a tank can drive -> while aiming its gun ^ and firing. You can't do this with traditional videogame tank controls.

emag

So only games with controls like this?
cb88f43ba93f18137bcb282a8c0f56c3--m-a-tank.jpg

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Yeah, fortunately it seems most posters in this thread are sane individuals who agree that RE4 does in fact have some form of tank controls. Then the random crazies pop up every now and then with their own weird backward definitions. I just don't get it, but it's been kind of amusing.

Head.spawn

-Stop to shoot has nothing to do with tanks, so I'm not sure how anyone could possibly get that idea.
-Lack of strafing is simply a bi-product/limitation of tank controls.
-How would "camera-irrespective controls" relate to how a tank controls? It doesn't.

You are making this more complicated than it actually is.

Tank controls is simply controls that operate akin to a tank. How does a tank move? Watch someone operate on youtube or observe a real tank:

-It moves frowards/backwards
-it can rotate left/right

That is it. That is "tank controls".

So only games with controls like this?
cb88f43ba93f18137bcb282a8c0f56c3--m-a-tank.jpg

You don't steer a tank with a control panel.

the-tank-driving-company.jpg

Top Bottom