• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought an Xbox One S but I hardly ever use it

qko

Its mostly a Netflix/Hulu/HBO Go machine for me. There will be stretches I will play a certain game for a week at the end of the day, but I'm happy with the entertainment features.

QZT2YVL.png

that's a penis

guyssorry

Yup. Bought one about 2 months ago to co-op Dark Souls 3 with a buddy of mine. Turns out, my buddy is suddenly super busy, so he can't play, and DS3 also runs and looks like absolute ass on the system. It's completely unplayable for me. With no worthwhile exclusives now or on the horizon, I cannot wait to sell this thing. Such a disappointing system.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yup. Bought one about 2 months ago to co-op Dark Souls 3 with a buddy of mine. Turns out, my buddy is suddenly super busy, so he can't play, and DS3 also runs and looks like absolute ass on the system. It's completely unplayable for me. With no worthwhile exclusives now or on the horizon, I cannot wait to sell this thing. Such a disappointing system.

Doesn't it run poorly on every console?

I bought an XB1S and had to pack it up and put it in the closet. I bought it when I was working full time and had a ton of extra income each month and time to buy and play all the games I wanted. Now that I put myself back in engineering school, I didn't have the time or finances to support 2 consoles even though I liked the XB1S more than my PS4. It all came down to where my friends were playing. I miss it, but I'll bring it back out when Sea of Thieves comes out and I'll be very happy I have it for Halo 6 next year.

Always find it slightly peculiar that people buy a console on which they say there is nothing worth playing, as if it's some weird revelation. Like, do some research beforehand: either you'll be confirmed in your thinking, or you'll find that actually, there are some good games there that might take your fancy. Because there are, but hey, your loss.

As for general gaming ennui however, purchases will never break that in my experience. False promises.

Always find it slightly peculiar that people buy a console on which they say there is nothing worth playing, as if it's some weird revelation. Like, do some research beforehand: either you'll be confirmed in your thinking, or you'll find that actually, there are some good games there that might take your fancy. Because there are, but hey, your loss.

As for general gaming ennui however, purchases will never break that in my experience. False promises.

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes the company tells you a bunch of things you might be interested in are coming out, and that they plan to continue supporting said platform, then they don't. Agreed though...fool me once.

You bought it for a non-gaming function, it's not surprising you're not playing games on it.

In my case, I've done that several times, like the OG Xbox being bought as an XBMC player, but no matter how, I always ended playing a bit from time. Yet Xbox One S...

OP, Do you have a gaming PC or another modern gaming console? The problem I have with XOne is that 99% of its catalogue tends to overlap with PC and it would be really hard to use it beyond its multimedia capabilities when I can do exactly the same but with more FPS. My PS4 pro is gathering dust already save for Blu ray playback and Spotify, but at least I can justify having it jut for stuff like The Last Guardian.

Dunn, if space is not a problem, I'd keep it. Even if it is like keeping an HD-DVD player "just in case".

I bought an XB1S and had to pack it up and put it in the closet. I bought it when I was working full time and had a ton of extra income each month and time to buy and play all the games I wanted. Now that I put myself back in engineering school, I didn't have the time or finances to support 2 consoles even though I liked the XB1S more than my PS4. It all came down to where my friends were playing. I miss it, but I'll bring it back out when Sea of Thieves comes out and I'll be very happy I have it for Halo 6 next year.

Halo 6 is coming out next year??

Damon

Neither do I.

Spent £200, I had 0 interest in next gen but caved in because I wanted to play Battlefield 1 and that turned out to be meh.

And there arent really any other games that appeal to me that much out there.

Think gaming for me is definitely over.

Dunkley

I bought it for 4K UHD and that's what I primarily use it for. I do own Forza Horizon 3, Final Fantasy XV and Sunset Overdrive on it, but since I primarily play on PC I think I use it more for watching Netflix, movies than I do for gaming.

(And when I do. it's mostly 360 BC)

oti

Banned
Sounds like your problem has more to do with video games in general than Xbox in particular. Just sell it and do what you actually want to do in your spare time. Video games won't run away.

NinjaBoiX

I've been so close to buying an Xbox S a few times (I already have a PS4) because I like the controller and it's apparently whisper quiet. But then I think "what games would you get that you can't already play a slighter better version of? Oh yeah, Forza Horizon and a handful of indies".

I always talk myself out of it, maybe I'll get a Scorpio.

dickroach

I use my OneS way more than my PS4, mostly because of Gold, EA Access, and Imissed out on the 360.
in the past year: Forza Horizon 3, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Gears of War 1, 2, 3, Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, Rare Replay
working on / about to start: Bayonetta, Catherine, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2

I love the controller

Nokterian

I have Xbox One and yet i did not touch it also i have a bunch of games but i play on PC the most, already sold my PS4 with games last year and no regrets.

Only so much time in the day for commitment, just sell it if you don't feel the need to keep it.

Same story with my PS4 and PSVR really, last time I turned it on was when farpoint came out but wouldn't get much if I sold them so not much point selling unless I really needed to

Jacqli

I bought mine pretty cheap and I knew what I was getting myself into, so I treat it more like a sidekick console to PS4 and PC. I still own several good games (Dead Rising 4, Rare Replay for free, Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive, Halo Wars 2, Gears of War 4, Quantum Break, Halo Master Chief Collection… games that are exclusive, only W10 or might not run that well on my PC -although I am still impressed with its performance-) and I am interested in some in the future (Cuphead, State of Decay 2, Recore DE and I have not bought Halo 5 yet) but the future looks pretty barebones to be honest. Unless it is your only entertainment center, the console feels like a Wii U sometimes.

So it could be much much better and it pains me to see this situation. I want a truly PS4 competitor, but Xbox One lost that train long ago. Not that surprising though, Microsoft were already making stupid decisions during the last years of 360, this is just an extension. They cannot sell consoles with only the brand, they cannot sell consoles with temporary deals and third party exclusive add-ons anymore, but they also do not want to spend money on exclusives, so here we are…

Now I am installing DR4, but I would like to know why so many games have such big updates. The disc is 24.19 GB, but the update is 32.91 GB, it is crazy. And Halo Wars 2 is even worse.

graywolf323

honestly I only ever use mine for 4K blu-rays and occasional EA Access games, otherwise I always seem to game on my PS4 Pro or Switch :-/

inner-G

Banned
Hmm. Well I set my HDR settings once for everything. I'm not changing them around for different content. I have been fairly satisfied, but it depends on the content creator. The Revenant look amazing and Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR was also great. On the other hand the movie The Arrival was terrible and HDR didn't seem to make much of a difference for the Last of Us. Maybe you need to get a professional calibrator to come over.
Check people's posts any of the HDR threads. There are different color spaces and standards, so studios aren't grading/releasing HDR consistently and plus different inputs are handled differently on most TVs. You usually need adjusting when going between SDR/HDR sources to get the best image on both, and the HDR from your TVs Amazon app for instance may be different than a HDR game or UHD movie.

DocSeuss

Thanks to backwards compatibility, it's my most used console of all. I play basically everything else on the PC. I turned my PS4 on once to play Destiny after I moved, but that's about it. Haven't even touched my other consoles. Xbox One gets the most action by far. Metal Gear Rising is fantastic.

My wife bought one (normal one, not S) last year with 2 controlers and Quantum break for 199€. So it was a fantastic deal. But she played like 5 hours of Rare Replay and 3 hours of Horizon and then never touched it again, lol.

At least I finished Halo 5, Gears 4 and Quantum Break and I really liked all of the games. Still want to finish Sunset Overdrive and try Phantom Dust.

But yeah, it's by far our least used new console ever and I don't see that changing with the upcoming lineup.

leng jai

Same. I'll replace it with a XB1X to collect more dust. Pretty sure my longest played game is RDR. would be Horizon 3 if it wasn't on PC though.

sTiTcH AU

I have not touched my switch since I finished Zelda 4 months ago and my PS4pro gets maybe 5hrs use a month. I use the Xbox a lot though.

I go through stages of can't be bothered to play any video games. I recently went through a stage of not wanting to play anything and ended up binge watching a youtube series called the great war (seriously if anyone is into history and don't know much about WW1, which this channel its awesome).

Don't sell the console, because I can bet that once you do you will all of a sudden have an urge to play something. Maybe find a game that's easy to pick up and play now and then in short bursts, may get you back in the mood to play something else.

Bustanen

Yeah mine too, even modded it to make it silent lol. Play anywhere is great tho, FH3 is so much better on PC running 4K60.

I like the console too but I gotta admit havent played it that much. I got it for Rare Replay, Halo Collection and Gears of Wars remake 2 years ago. I think that is enough value but I still like Games with Gold and EA subscription service. Did however play a lot of it last year due to Dragon Age Inquisition.

membran

Mostly due to having a quite alright PC and their Play Anywhere program, I've used mine for playing Halo 5 and a bunch of backward compatible 360 arcade games that popped up on the "ready to install" page. That's about it. Oh, well.

Grief.exe

My console purchases always end up collecting dust on a shelf waiting for one or two compelling exclusives per year. Play all the multiplatform games on PC anyway.

pringles

The XB1 just kinda..sucks. I find it a chore to use. Currently I have it sent away for the second time for repairs, which isn't helping my opinion of it. It just isn't a fun console to play on. Night and day difference to the Switch which has kinda rejuvenated a joy of gaming I haven't felt in many years.

Since I have finished Inside ( months ago ) I hardly play on my Xbox One. Now and then I play Forza Horizon 3 ( still awesome ) and yet I have pre-ordered a Xbox One X.
I don't even know why.

I'm thinking it over though. The lack of exclusives is worrying. If there are no announcements at Gamescom which interest me, I'm keeping my 'old' Xbox One.

AU Tiger

I've thought about buying a used S to use as a HTPC. It's about the cheapest option out there that can get you 4k video playback, all the streaming media content and the ability to just plug in a USB drive full of movie files. It can apparently read and play practically any type video file too.

It essentially being a windows 10 machine means (from what I gather) pretty effortless integration into an existing windows home network for file sharing and stuff like that.

I have a PS4 pro and it can't do any of those things but I didn't buy it to do that stuff so I don't really feel bad about that purchase.

The XoneS may not have that many exclusives or be the most powerful for playing games but for around $200 or less used, having a pretty good looking device that you can plug in and play virtually any type of media on via disk, usb, network or streaming app is pretty stinking cool and also having a controller nativetly integrated into all aspects of controlling is nice vs using a wifi/BT HTPC keyboard

Edit: worth noting is that my home theater is not in the same room as my PC/PS4 and my current HTPC is a little intel NUC that can't really do anything 4K and I have to use a wireless keyboard with built in track pad that sucks and takes up lots of space on the couch.

Nabbis

Did the same with the original hoping for good exclusives. None came, Scalebound cancelled and MS decided to make games available for PC as well anyway. Worst 300e ever spent, good thing i sold it.

levyjl1988

Banned
I feel the same way OP. I buy games and I never truly have time to play them and when I do have the chance. I get bored real fast. I just put in an Assassin's Creed game look at the collectables littered on my map and screen and I'm like fuck that. That looks like a god damn chore already. Looks more montonous than my work. I stopped playing and regret my purchase immediatley. It looks nice on my bookshelf. Seems like game designers don't value my time and want me to collect stupid crap. I rather rewatch an episode of Game of Thrones or something or read a book. Too much filler is not worth exploring unless there is a big payoff in the end. Collectables in games don't have any of that. I just look at the reward at getting all the korok seeds in Legend of Zelda BotW and it just shows a message developers are trying to say, a certain subtext. That all your efforts was just a piece of shit. An artifical extention of valuable time.

I play games, but I have about 500 unfinished games and it's a struggle. Though I do pretty much everything through my Xbox anyway. Hulu, Netflix, tv, games etc. It's also my main form of communication with a lot of my friends that are out of state. Would be worth it even if I didn't play anything.

Top Bottom