• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand healers (OP mains Hanzo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Spladam

I

TL;DR healers are boring because health is a boring number

I see you've never had to rush into the heat of combat, clear out the bad guys, and pick up your fallen friends while bullets and grenades come at you, dodging sniper fire the whole time. I do it three times a week in Battlefield one, and it's crazy fun. I'm one of two medics on our squad, but the other guy is part time. You and the OP have no idea.

KanameYuuki

Think about what you've done OP. Bad.

This got me thinking about being the healer class is Resistance 2 multiplayer. So much fun.

How I loved to be that class there, such an amazing gaming experience, each role there was so important for the other ones, like in the middle of a fight when it is going downhill to cast Chloroform and stop every single enemy in place while also doing multi damage to everything in range and spamming aoe heals.

As rewarding being a mlg pro multi kill army of one dps on a game is, for me, there is nothing more satisfying than having that "Great work support" "Good heals" "Can't believe we made it outside there" I get from my teammates as a support class, that's my go to on any job / class based game.

An heck a lot of times healers end up having not only to make sure to keep the team alive but also help with damage and even sometimes tank for a bit while the group gets back on its feet.

I do, because the winner of a match is decided by the best healer, not the best dd.

DD is more than being a mindless idiot who just attacks. It's about knowing when to engage, when to backdown, and how to survive. You are not a good DD if you cannot balance damage output with survivability. You sound like you just think a DD should be able to glass-cannon successfully to the top of the charts.

I disagree with the accusation of bad design, but I really do wish games would move away from healing and into more interesting support classes.

Rather than just being focused on keeping people's HP above a certain threshold, I'd much rather keep my team in fighting condition through soft and hard control, such as buffs/debuffs, status effects and interruption of enemy attacks.

City of Heroes was great in showing how much more engaging such support classes were compared to traditional healers

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Being a healer is a totally thankless job. No one recognizes your worth when everything is going well, and everyone blames you when the team dies.

That said, I love playing healer with my friends because they appreciate that I'm keeping them alive.

beinfilms

Every team comp ever is based on D&D. Are you really saying you want to play without a cleric?

Look, without a healer, your options are regenerating health (which is lame, and eliminates depth and challenge), self-healing abilities, which leaves you with too much for a single person to keep track of, or limited healing, which is no fun.

Plus, I'd point out that most healers do more than just heal. Most of the time, healers also have the ability to buff their allies, or debuff enemies.

In other words, like everyone else said, your're wrong.

BigDug13

Overwatch without healers would basically be decided by who wins the first team fight

New meta would be Zarya, roadhog, Mei, Soldier, Tracer, Bastion (post upcoming patch).

Basically you would have to replace the lack of healing with self sustaining classes.

My favorite healer class to play was Warrior Priest in Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. I not only managed to top the heals every round but I also could tank and deal substantial damage. In fact damage output was key to some heals. Technically other races could heal bomb better which made them key for certain fights, but for PvP my Warrior Priest was a boss.

Flappe

Neo Member
My god what a baity OP.

I dont know if you've ever played WoW, but in my guild most of the wipes came from DD standing in the fire. and in the early days of Molten Core, we had 7 hunters who all were afk most of the bossfights.

I've seen my fair share of bad healers over the years, in many different games, but thats the player, not the design of the game.

Sure you dont like em, and thats fine, but bad gamedesign, really? As far as i know, you dont NEED to play a healer in Overwatch, even if your team doesnt have one. choose something else if you dont like them.

Playing a healer/support is one of the most stressful roles in any video game, I'm frankly insulted by how easy you consider it to be, and how "noob-friendly" it is according to you.

So basically every game dev that implements a healer class is just bad at designing games...but you know better?

Armchair developer 101.

You making this thread is bad thread design.

You're wrong, but there are a lot of people in here are exaggerating how much skill it takes to play a healer, at least in shooters. I've known TF2 and Overwatch comp players who play healers specifically because they require far less mechanical skill than other classes (especially in the former) while requiring only the same amount of game sense. Same deal with most tank mains.

I can't speak for MMOs and the like though, maybe it's different there.

Dice//

Banned
Tales games and the Xenoblade's have been doing a good job dodging the idea of a dedicated healer. Which is great, spares a spot and lets you wreck things one character faster.

Kito

To those saying I'm a sore damage dealer: I'm a healer main who sees how advantaged this class is, lol.

Lorcain

Healers are only redeemed by their easy, noob-friendly gameplay that can make a game accessible to a wider audience.
Good lord no. I've tried playing healers in mmo's and class based shooters, and they're a helluva lot more complex than dealing or soaking up damage (although good tanking can be complex too).

Have you tried playing a healing class for any length of time in pvp and pve? It's one of the few jobs where everyone thinks they know how to do it better than you because they tried it for 15 minutes once.

I remember playing a Rune Priest in Warhammer Online running a party grid healing mod to track all the shit that was going on with my party and raid. Going back to playing dps was easy mode after that.

OVDRobo

Healers are incredibly important and a key element of victory in most games that include them. They're also incredibly unfun for 80+% of people (figure pulled out of my ass) that play the games that include them.

The only thing that makes healers bad design in any way is that most people are so set on the idea of shooting or stabbing that they don't realize that they already failed during character selection/party composition.

enoki

This thread is the perfect representation of why healers are the most misunderstood and thankless class to play. :(

Gotta disagree with OP. I live my healer/medic classes. Lucio, Ana,and Mercy in Overwatch, Brightwing in HoTS , Battlefield medic class, white mages, love them all.

Taruranto

Healer is probably the least rewarding role. A lot of times you'll get blamed if things go south, if someone dies and most people don't notice a very good healer.

I always make sure to thank a good healer when I see one.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Of all the games to complain about healers feeling samey and not requiring skill, you pick Overwatch?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tales games and the Xenoblade's have been doing a good job dodging the idea of a dedicated healer. Which is great, spares a spot and lets you wreck things one character faster.

that's actually one of my biggest issues with Xenoblade. I hate not having a dedicated healer in a JRPG.

KawaiiRaptor

Neo Member
I see you've never had to rush into the heat of combat, clear out the bad guys, and pick up your fallen friends while bullets and grenades come at you, dodging sniper fire the whole time. I do it three times a week in Battlefield one, and it's crazy fun. I'm one of two medics on our squad, but the other guy is part time. You and the OP have no idea.

That's a pretty good point. Context is key; any class in any game can be fun, given the proper circumstances. However, you have to consider that your friends also got to run into the heat of combat, clear out bad guys with bullets and grenades and sniper fire and the whole shebang, while also getting to fire cooler guns or move in more interesting ways themselves. This may not apply to BF1 (never played it, sorry, as far as I know most classes have access to similar move pools and weaponry) but it definitely applies to Overwatch and other games with more extreme class variation.

c0Zm1c

I disagree with the accusation of bad design, but I really do wish games would move away from healing and into more interesting support classes.

Rather than just being focused on keeping people's HP above a certain threshold, I'd much rather keep my team in fighting condition through soft and hard control, such as buffs/debuffs, status effects and interruption of enemy attacks.

City of Heroes was great in showing how much more engaging such support classes were compared to traditional healers

Guild Wars 1 excels at this too. You can play pure healer but given the expansive scope for customised builds, there's never really been a strict tank/support/healer system, only that which players have adopted. I've partied with a Ranger tank before, and even a Dervish healer.

Kito

I think OP is simply salty because they don't know how to play healers.

I exclusively play healers in Overwatch. Over 1000 hours on Ana, Zen and Mercy. Ended season 3 rank 3300.

Posters are saying the healer class is the most "essential" / "important", and that exactly right there is why I see them as bad game design, why there was a tank meta, why the best Overwatch team in the world is attributed its status because of their god Ana player Ryujehong.

if you believe that keeping a party of multiple person healed and buffed while keeping yourself alive and managing mana is easy and friendly well, stop killing the monsters out of the city and try some dungeons appropriate for your level

Pretty much. DPS have to manage only themselves. Tanks have to manage mostly only themselves. Healers have to handle themselves AND everybody else. As a healer, you are going to be looking at your allies' healthbars all the time all the while keeping yourself alive and, if applicable, also throwing out buffs. It's pretty much multitasking and can be extremely stressful. And, akin to real life medicine, you'll have to apply the concepts of triage - whose wounds are non-severe enough so they can survive without healing longer, who is more important to be kept alive, etc.

Healers in OW can only impact the game so much. More times than not, your DPS carries you good or bad. If you have bad DPS you are going to lose, if you have good DPS you are going to win.

daveo42

Banned
Every game is consistent for the healer: heal damaged allies and stay as safe as possible. Win or lose, it's easy to fulfil your purpose. Healers may depend on damage dealers (dd) to win, but dd depend on healers to even function. Complex, algorithmic matchmaking (mm) systems can also force you into the healer class forever. When you try your hand at damage, mm does not know you are practicing damage. It expects you to do the job - a job you cannot do well.

Healers are only redeemed by their easy, noob-friendly gameplay that can make a game accessible to a wider audience.

This is why I am looking forward to leaving Overwatch for Splatoon 2 - no healer class and no mm memory. I can get to S+ and not be expected to use rollers forever, because there is no record of me using rollers.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

You never played an actual healer class in your life. Healers are what bind the party together and actually being a halfway decent healer take work. Takes strict rotations as well as being able to think on your feet. DPS, btw, is the most mindless member of a group. Just do a ton of damage. If you can't do that, then what are you good for?

I've played in OW competitive for several months, playing nearly daily, and healers are NOT as easy as you say they are. You are the #1 target of the enemy, you ALWAYS have to be situationally aware, have good positioning, keep check of the entire party, where they are and their status, and know who is the priority for heals at any moment. Failure of any of these are taken advantage by the enemy team. They are just as hard and just as important as any other role.

I assume you're only talking about overwatch, but I also have experience in healing in FFXIV, plus I'm very close with some really good healers in my FFXIV groups that I have learned alot from, if you also meant healing in MMOs. So I can talk about that too if you mean healing in general and not just Overwatch.

I kind of agree with the OP. Healers in most games tend to be pretty poorly designed. The problem is that healers deal with health, which is a pretty bland resource in most games. It's a number that goes up and down and when it hits zero you die. There are only so many other mechanics that can interact with health in any interesting or meaningful way. Moving forward with the Overwatch example, take an offensive character like Tracer. Tracer's main points of interaction with the world are her movement and her guns. She gets to think about things like spacing, relative movement speed, number of blinks available, time to close distances, basically tons of spacial reasoning and reflex based stuff. Mercy,on the other hand, doesn't get to take these things into consideration nearly as much, because her heal is a tether that never runs out of ammo. Mercy instead has to make decisions about heal priority, team positioning, and ult timing, all of which are very important, but generally considered less interesting decisions, at least in a second-to-second game play kind of way. Lucio is almost worst in this regard, because his heal is an AOE; he just gets to run around (kind of makes up for it with more dynamic movement options though). Ana is probably the "best" in this regard, because you actually have to aim her heal; gives her a similar possibility space to an offensive class, but with a fun twist in that you're targeting your allies. Proposed solutions? I dunno.

TL;DR healers are boring because health is a boring number

I mean, if you wanna say Overwatch Healers are bland and boring thats fine and I actually agree as pretty much everything in that game is.

Healers in general, especially MMOs, have to think about a lot of that stuff you mentioned and more. Overwatch is probably the worst example you can use as a generalization of healing and what its like to play a healer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom