• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like Inception is both Nolan and Leo's best film

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't know how many times I've seen this movie now, but wow, what a masterpiece.

The film has a great cast (Tom Hardy!) lead by Leonardo Dicaprio, and this was one of my favorite films the year it released in theaters. I've read somewhere that Inception was a Mad Max: Fury Road situation where Nolan worked on this film on and off for about 12 years? It shows, as the movie is a fine oiled machine, not a piece out of place.

The cinematography is gorgeous. The dream sequences are really beautifully done. I love how they aren't TOO outlandish but just a bit off the way a lot of dreams in real life that you remember when you wake up feel like. The film's soundtrack is amazing. Those horns! Ugh, the movie has so much tension and part of that is a result of the amazing soundtrack. I'm really glad Leo is finally getting the recognition he deserves with Revenant as he's one of my faves (even though I was a bit disappointed in the shade he threw to Gaga @ the Golden Globes) but I think Inception is his best film and I'm not sure it'll ever be topped. Similarly with Nolan, Inception is his magnum opus. The only other movie in his filmography that even comes closed to being as flawless is The Dark Knight and even then it's not close (plus as flawed as it was, I actually like Interstellar a lot more than TDK fwiw). I'd love for Nolan and Leo to team up again for another project.

I feel like this movie works as both an enjoyable popcorn affair and as something more cerebral with a bit of depth that makes you think, a combination you don't see very often in films.

What do you think?

g1JHZ8F.gif

Its good but The Prestige is better in terms of Nolan imo.

For Leo I'm not sure whats his best because I love his acting 90% of the time. But he is no doubt great in the film.

PBY

Banned
Loved it the first time, find it completely unwatchable now. And the last scene is awful.

To me there never was any humanity to this film, and its the worst of Nolan's expository shit.

Majine

Banned
I loved it, and I couldn't stop thinking about it and discuss all the intricate plot happenings with my friends.

Fuck no.

It's not even that good of a movie. Shit's nice to look at, but dumb as a brick. The last accolades that movie deserves are for acting or scriptwriting.

Concept17

Was a good movie, but I never felt the urge to watch it a second time.

Interstellar is my fave of Nolan's. As for Leo... not really sure. Really enjoyed Blood Diamond.

effzee

I think I agree with it being Nolan's best as well.

Lol @ no humanity. Whole movie is Scott dead wife, guilt, and his children.

FTF

It's a great movie, but both have such an excellent filmography that I wouldn't pick Inception for either.

Definitely not Nolans best movie.

Leo... The more I think about it, the less I like him as an actor. He definitely seems to just be Leo in every movie.

Qurupeke

While I like almost every Nolan film, I consider the Dark Knight his greatest one. Inception is pretty close though.

And not sure about Di Caprio. He's really enjoyable in almost everything. I guess you're partially right.

zma1013

It's rather forgettable to me except that bit at the end with the top although I think I only remember that because it was plastered everywhere on the internet. It's well done, well shot, well acted but it didn't hold my interest much and I didn't feel like they did enough with the premise.

I'd say Memento, Prestige, and The Dark Knight are his better films, more interesting, more memorable ones.

jdw_b

First time watching Inception was incredible. But on rewatches there's just too much exposition for me. Still great though.

I'd go with The Prestige for Nolan's best.

Hard to pick one for Leo, probably wouldn't be Inception though.

Sulik2

Its an interesting movie and I like all the twists, but my favorite Nolan films are the Prestige and Dark Knight.

samn

Fairly dull, no interesting characters, typical Nolan in that it seems much cleverer than it actually is. And don't tell me you didn't sleep through the snow chase scene.

RangerX

Banned
I really like the film and theres a debate it could be Nolan's best but it is nowhere near Dicaprios. He has at least ten films I'd put in front of it.

Laughlin

I agree, but I haven't seen many of Leo's films honestly. But it's my favorite Nolan film.

I too have seen it more times that I can count. Probably my most watched movie ever and one of my favorites.

Definitely the best directed Nolan film by far (downright criminal that he didn't get nomination at the very least). Blood Diamond is Leo's best performance in my opinion.

I feel like Nolan's best film is The Prestige. Here's how I would rank the films I've seen by him.

The Prestige > Memento > Batman Begins > Interstellar > The Dark Knight = Inception > The Dark Knight Rises

As for Dicaprio, my favorite movie he's in is easily The Departed. Granted, I haven't seen many of his most recent films. I just find him extremely overrated; Brad Pitt is just as good if no at better actor than Leo but he rarely gets the same level of praise.

Spinluck

Inception isn't his best, but it's the best out of his last 3 movies.

TDKR was good for a trilogy closer, but was kind of a mess of a film from a plot standpoint and way too much exposition for a film with an established group of characters and setting.

Inception was pretty entertaining, visually it had some neat ideas as well as one of his best 3rd acts. Concept was neat too.

Interstellar was overly hokey where it didn't need to be and kind of fell flat for me. Film was a letdown for me but I didn't think it was bad.

It's a great entry into Nolan's filmography, but not his best. I'd say Memento is still at the top, with The Dark Knight his best big budget thing.

For Leo? It ain't got shit on The Aviator.

My personal favorite performance by Leo was The Aviator. It's arguably my favorite movie of all time. It's long, but somehow I think the pacing is ace. You really get the whole deterioration, nothing feels abrupt or too sudden.

As for Nolan, I'd give it to Interstellar. The Dark Knight is way up there too, which is wild given it's a super hero movie.

Shutter Island- released in the same year- beats it in every one of its so called "strengths".

Scorsese and DiCaprio are such a dream team. I adore that film.

amaretto

It's top 3 for Nolan.

But Leo... I don't know. I want to like him because he tries so hard but honestly, I just don't care for Leo as an actor. He just cannot sink into a role completely.

Super happy that so many people have already noted The Prestige. That movie's so rad.

Its his best by far imo. I love every aspect of that film. Plot, writing, acting, cinematography, everything

Hell I even love the color grading of the film lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I enjoyed Inception but I felt at times it didn't take the dream thing far enough. Watching a movie like Paprika and then going to something like Inception and the world they are in and the ones they create felt a bit sterile and well unimaginative at times. Some stand out moments like the spinning Hallway fight and such of course.

I think the Prestige was Nolan's best. Its incredibly well paced, the acting is great all around and for once I can say I didn't see the twist coming despite it being rather obvious looking back on it.

jelly

There is Leo, MMMM! Leo and Shouty Leo.

I like the Prestige but bit too clean after a few viewings.

Inception is quite epic but I hate Ellen Page in it and goes a little flat in the middle. The exposition gets a bit old. Most consistent blockbuster he has done though.

Scorsese and DiCaprio are such a dream team. I adore that film.
They are, I'm enamored with each of their collaborations for different reasons, though DDL is what really makes Gangs of New York for me- the plot's pretty eh.

I always wonder what it would have been like to see that movie if I didn't guess the "twist" from the trailers.

I really hate movie trailers.
1. Stop watching trailers after the first fifteen seconds, they give away everything if you have a photographic memory.
2. Totally "meh" on its "twist", way more interested in its conceit- a fractured war veteran detective unravels on an island during a crisis involving a missing inmate.

Liamario

Banned
My Nolan Ranking (based on the movies I've seen). Best to Worst-

1. Inception
  2. Interstellar
  3. The Prestige
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Batman Begins
  6. The Dark Knight Rises
  7. Memento

Status
Not open for further replies.