• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like Inception is both Nolan and Leo's best film

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my favorite Nolan film, but probably one of my least memorable Leo performances. I think he did his best job in either The Wolf of Wallstreet or The Revenant so far.

Oreoleo

My Nolan Ranking (based on the movies I've seen). Best to Worst-

1. Inception
  2. Interstellar
  3. The Prestige
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Batman Begins
  6. The Dark Knight Rises
  7. Memento

This guy gets it. I could entertain Interstellar, Prestige or Dark Knight being better than Inception but it's my personal favorite of his. Never understood the adoration for Memento, I find it pretty bland once you get past the presentation of the story.

DiCaprio is fine in Inception but he's been in too many other stellar roles to consider it his best performance.

I enjoyed it a lot but I don't really have any desire to watch it again. It was a fun ride though. Nolans best film for me is probably Memento. Leo's for me is probably Catch me if you Can. Maybe. I don't know. I have trouble thinking about a dicaprio film I didn't enjoy.

danwarb

I didn't like Inception. It's bad science fiction. A silly idea and not even internally consistent. It's too daft while taking itself too seriously to be their best.

Vyrance

I think Inception is one of Nolan's worst personally. Prestige, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Interstellar, Insomnia are all better. I'd put Prestige at his best movie. (I've never seen Memento)

As for Leo, I'm not really sure what his best is. Maybe Catch Me If You Can.

Mokujin

It's probably my most beloved Nolan film, but I don´t think it's his best.

I used to hate DiCaprio, but he has came a looooong way in his career, great, great actor nowadays.

Blader

Dark Knight Rises over Memento is mind blowing. Did that movie kill your dog or something?

Memento would probably be near the bottom of my Nolan rankings too. It's good for sure, but feels a little less impressive (probably not the right word) in light of his later work. I find the messy spectacle of something like TDKR or Interstellar more satisfying in a way.

And in terms of the smaller-scale but tightly constructed narrative, I think The Prestige is much better than Memento.

I preferred The Prestige, Memento, Dark Knight and Batman Begins to Inception. Not sure for Leo but off the top of my head he delivers a much better performance in Django Unchained and it's a better movie.

And in terms of the smaller-scale but tightly constructed narrative, I think The Prestige is much better than Memento.

Yeah, I think The Prestige is far and away his least flawed and "tightest" movie. It's not his most ambitious, which is why I can understand people liking Inception, Interstellar, etc. more than it.

Even the dialogue is Nolanism-free.

Laz-E-Boy

I can understand where they're coming from but I'll never accept it. Nolan hit a grand slam with Inception. It's certainly the most remembered film of that year.

It came out 2010 right?

Looking at what came out then:

Toy Story 3
The Social Network
Scott Pilgrim
How to Train Your Dragon
Despicable Me
Iron Man 2

I'd probably go with Toy Story 3 as the most remembered film

BlueWord

Film had some cool sequences and nice cinematography, but really was a narrative turd that wasted its talented cast. I think I've expressed my opinion on this in other threads, so I'll just say that I think this movie is far, far from the best thing Leo has done, and almost certainly the worst of Nolan's filmography.

TDLink

Inception is great but I think Nolan's best film is The Prestige. I think Leo's best is a toss up between Catch Me If You Can and Wolf of Wall Street.

ryseing

It came out 2010 right?

Looking at what came out then:

Toy Story 3
The Social Network
Scott Pilgrim
How to Train Your Dragon
Despicable Me
Iron Man 2

I'd probably go with Toy Story 3 as the most remembered film

TSN is the most quoted movie from that year though, mainly because of the subject matter and Sorkin being a genius.

Agree with all of the Prestige answers. It's Nolan at his absolute best. The plot is incredibly tight, which cannot be said about some of his later efforts.

I haven't seen Leo's entire filmography so I can't quite comment there. Catch Me If You Can is quite good though.

singhr1

My Nolan Ranking (based on the movies I've seen). Best to Worst-

1. Inception
  2. Interstellar
  3. The Prestige
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Batman Begins
  6. The Dark Knight Rises
  7. Memento

This is where I'm at mostly. I'd put Interstellar = Inception just because I love how they captured space so eloquently in Interstellar

That top 3 has left such a profound impression on me the first time thru that all subsequent viewings have been so insubstantial in comparison I stopped trying to replicate it and just anticipate what else is up Nolan's sleeve.

Hyun Sai

The best Nolan is still The Prestige. My ranking :

1 - The Prestige
2 - The Dark Knight
3 - Interstellar
4 - Memento
5 - Batman Begins
6 - Inception
7 -
99 - The Dark Knight Rises.

I liked Inception at first, but it didn't hold a second viewing.

The best Nolan is still The Prestige. My ranking :

1 - The Prestige
2 - The Dark Knight
3 - Interstellar
4 - Memento
5 - Batman Begins
6 - Inception
7 -
99 - The Dark Knight Rises.

I liked Inception at first, but it didn't hold a second viewing.

+1 on that ranking. The Prestige was fantastic.

As for DiCaprio, I gotta go with:

1 - Gangs of New York
2 - Romeo + Juliet
3 -Blood Diamond

I like Memento a lot and feel it does "mindfuck" better than Inception.

I really like Inception, though, out of the sheer spectacle of it and the influence of Jorge Luis Borges. I've always loved that kind of magical realism and I feel Inception is the best implementation of it (and hasn't been replicated since).

That said, Leo's performance is serviceable but not his best work.

Blader

I think The Dark Knight is Nolan's best, most impressive work. It's (to date) the best confluence of his big idea blockbuster spectacle and focused, densely layered character work. The Prestige and Memento might do the latter better, and you could argue (though I wouldn't) that Inception or Interstellar do the former better. But TDK is Nolan's best attempt at melding the two so far. Ledger's Joker is also the best performance of any of his films, and one of the most memorable of the last decade.

The Dark Knight > The Prestige > Inception > Batman Begins > The Dark Knight Rises > Interstellar > Memento > Insomnia > Following

I agree its Nolan's best film.

Leo's best film is
12-Business-Lessons-We-Can-Learn-From-The-Wolf-Of-Wall-Street-1.jpg

From what I've seen:

The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Memento
Batman Begins
Insomnia

Thought Insomnia was awful and Batman Begins is alright, but I LOVE the rest of his movies. Favorite director ever, yo.

Don't know about Leo.

From what I've seen:

The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Memento
Batman Begins
Insomnia

Thought Insomnia was awful and Batman Begins is alright, but I LOVE the rest of his movies. Favorite director ever, yo.

Don't know about Leo.

Go watch The Prestige!

hermit7

Personally I didn't care for the batman films and thought that they got progressively worse. Begins was by far the best, in terms of the story atmosphere, everything really.

Nolans best films I think are based on original properties.

Prestige
Momento
Begins
Inception
Interstellar
Knight
Rises

I may have missed one.

Alienfan

Couldnt agree more! Its a masterpiece for sure. Nolan's best work, followed by The Prestige, Dark Knight, Interstellar and Momento.

Daft_Cat

It's such a hard thing to say with any sort of authority. It's certainly upper-tier for both. If you conducted a formal poll, INCEPTION would definitely get a lot of love from all circles... critics, industry folk, general audiences, etc. As for whether it come out on top... Eh. Probably not for DiCaprio. Toss up for Nolan.

cyba89

Inception was great but it was not great because of Leo. Not a very memorable performance from him imo.
He was better in Catch Me If You Can, Django, Wolf Of Wall Street and The Revenant.

Moff

prestige is my favourite nolan movie

and for dicaprio, the first time I paid attention to him was gilbert grape, and I certainly think it's his best performance. his filmography was surprisingly weak after that, I just opened the imdb to pick a favourite but I have a hard time doing it. nothing I really love in it, at least from his older work.
I really liked django, but his role there was too small so I probably have to go with wolf

Oersted

I liked it for what it was and disliked it for what could have been. Movies is way too grounded in rules and scenes you have see before.

To take a english example, Matrix did much more with a not real scenario.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol i will never understand the love Prestiege gets on this board. It;s easily his worst movie. Simple story with one of the lamest twists ever. The characters are all unlikeable and made the movie a chore to sit through. The soundtrack didnt do anything for me either, and looking at the lack of ost tracks on youtube, no one else cared for it either.

And here is the biggest reason I dont care for it, it's a very non-Nolan movie. It could've been directed by some no name actor and you wouldnt have known. This movie has absolutely no redeeming qualities other than David Bowie's cameo as Tesla. It's just so boring.

Maybe best soundtrack in a Nolan film, but that's about all I'll give it.

I liked the movie, but Nolan and Leo have done better!

UrokeJoe

prestige is my favourite nolan movie

and for dicaprio, the first time I paid attention to him was gilbert grape, and I certainly think it's his best performance. his filmography was surprisingly weak after that, I just opened the imdb to pick a favourite but I have a hard time doing it. nothing I really love in it, at least from his older work.

I really liked django, but his role there was too small so I probably have to go with wolf

Considering his age and experience it probably is.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I can understand why someone would think Inception is Nolan's best.

But Leo's best film?

Leonardo DiCaprio?

LEONARDOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Not even on top 10.

Seriously, this guy has given memorable performance in so many of his movies.

bluethree

I really liked it the first time I saw it but not as much the second. Not bad by any means, but, half of the movie is just the characters explaining shit, and another quarter of it is them reexplaining shit. The sheer amount of exposition drags the film down a lot imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom