• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like Inception is both Nolan and Leo's best film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
There is Leo, MMMM! Leo and Shouty Leo.

I like the Prestige but bit too clean after a few viewings.

Inception is quite epic but I hate Ellen Page in it and goes a little flat in the middle. The exposition gets a bit old. Most consistent blockbuster he has done though.

Almost forgot about Ellen Page.

Man Nolan really does struggle with female characters.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's a decent romp with some good ideas. I find The Prestige is still Nolan's best, even with the yeesh "twists"

Di Caprio's best is still Django, for me. Haven't seen Revenant yet

tookhster

Inception is a good "eye-candy" movie and has an amazing soundtrack, but the dialogue, plot, and the ending ruin it for me. And OP, you mentioned Tom Hardy but he plays a very minor role in the film.

For me Memento is still Nolan's best and Blood Diamond had an underrated performance from Leo.

Yeah, no way.

It's probably my third favorite Nolan film behind The Prestige and Batman begins, and it's no where near the top film for Leo. I'd take The Wolf of Wall Street, The Departed, The Aviator, Catch Me if You Can, Django, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Gangs of New York all over Inception.

AAK

Yes to both.

From what I've seen:

Inception >>>>>>>>> Batman Begins > The Dark Knight >Interstellar>>>>>>> Insomnia >>>>>>> Memento > The Prestige > Dark Knight Rises

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Leo's range in Catch Me If You Can is amazing. I definitely think he's never topped his performance in it.

ncouoqU.gif

I watched Shutter Island and Inception back-to-back when they came out. They're both melded into one film for me.
Leo was the same dude in both.

ramparter

Banned
Was a good movie, but I never felt the urge to watch it a second time.

Interstellar is my fave of Nolan's. As for Leo... not really sure. Really enjoyed Blood Diamond.
Yep. Somehow I can't watch Inception again, I tried but never finished it again.

I've seen Interstellar more than five times already.

BumRush

What's eating Gilbert Grape, Revenant and Wolf of Wallstreet are all better for Leo (in my opinion) but he's great in it!

aerts1js

? it's not even close to either of their best work. I left the theater disappointed with inception. I still don't think Nolan has topped Memento.

The first hour is too heavy with explaining the mechanics of the dreams (that whole scene with JGL and Ellen Page walking up the steps just to explain a shot in a fight scene later on for example) to work well on repeated viewings and there wasn't much to Dicaprio's character beyond Nolan's go to "my wife/girlfriend died" drama.

Still a fine film.

Lebron

If you haven't seen any of their other work, sure.

Nolan topped out with Prestige.

Leo topped out with nothing. His range is endless.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The Dark Knight is my favorite Nolan piece and Catch Me If You Can is my favorite DiCaprio performance, but Inception was definitely a good film.

Blader

I think it's in Nolan's top 3.

Far from Leo's best, but I like him in it. The scene of him trying to talk Mal off the ledge is great.

Laz-E-Boy

Inception has a great concept, but for me it has way too much exposition and characters that are not the least bit interesting.

Memento and The Prestige are some top-tier films. The first two Batman films were alright, I remember enjoying Insomnia a bit, I haven't seen Interstellar yet, but the rest I found to be pretty trash.

As for Leo, I really enjoyed Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator and The Revenant.

Ninjimbo

I think Inception is Nolan's best work too. It's imaginative, engaging, well acted and produced. It's an incredible movie from start to finish.

Anung

Un Rama
Meh. Like many of Nolan's movies Inception falls apart on a second viewing. Memento is his best work.

Blood Diamond, Django or Catch Me if You Can is probably Leo's best work. I really like Leo but in a lot of his films I feel very aware that I'm watching Leo acting on a movie screen.

Jay Sosa

not even close, especially for Dicaprio.

Fuck no.

It's not even that good of a movie. Shit's nice to look at, but dumb as a brick. The last accolades that movie deserves are for acting or scriptwriting.

I'll just assume that both of you think either The Beach or the Man with the Golden Mask is LDC best work. Interesting choices. Can't say I agree though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Leo's range in Catch Me If You Can is amazing. I definitely think he's never topped his performance in it.

I'm inclined to agree, he is absolutely wonderful in this. I just love how he transitions from pretend adult con-artist to teenage insecure kid running away from home whenever he's around his father or Carl (Tom Hanks).

I watch this movie at least twice a year, if not more.

That said, Leo is amazing in so many movies, if this isn't his best performance, he has several others that are easy contenders.

The Oscar meme might be funny, it really is a crime he has never won Best Actor up til now.

Maxim726X

I think Inception is Nolan's best work too. It's imaginative, engaging, well acted and produced. It's an incredible movie from start to finish.

I remember when everyone liked this film, then the internet collective decided that it sucks for some reason.

It's a great movie. It holds up on repeated viewings too, IMO.

Ninjimbo

I remember when everyone liked this film, then the internet collective decided that it sucks for some reason.

Yeah, that always happens when something gets too popular. It's a natural reaction when fans start to claim that Nolan is the second coming of Kubrick as well. Detractors double down on their positions and you get all the arguments.

I can understand where they're coming from but I'll never accept it. Nolan hit a grand slam with Inception. It's certainly the most remembered film of that year.

Hey, I disliked Inception since before it was cool to dislike Inception, I disliked it as soon as I found out out about Inception's inception.

M3z_

Memento for Nolan, and personally my favorite Leo movie is Gangs of New York, but I don't know that it is his best, DDL is the main attraction in that movie.

eso76

I still think Leo's best is what's eating Mrs Gilbert Grape (got the title wrong. Awesome performance from Leo).
Nolan, I guess it would be memento.

Inception had a good premise but set a number of rules so dumb I was rolling my eyes most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom