• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I had this kind of haunting dream involving my mom last night

So in this dream, I was back living at my parents' house, in my old bedroom. I haven't lived there for 6 years now. Also, my current dog was there with me, but the dogs that they have were not there. Which is kind of irrelevant but kind of makes it more spooky to me like I could have been seeing the future, because their dogs are all in really poor health and will probably be put down soon. :(

Anyways for some reason, my mom wanted to listen to Every Breath You Take by The Police. You know, the "I'll be watching you" song. So I turned it on, and me and my mom sat there side by side with our heads leaning against each other listening to this song. It's so weird because it's making me cry again typing this up.

I've never liked this song, don't normally think about it, so I have no idea what would have made it come up in my dream, but I was legitimately listening to it. The words were all there. And she was remarking about how dark it is, describing a stalker, while I was thinking of it more along the Puff Daddy version. I was thinking of it as a man who died and is now in heaven watching his loved one.

I woke up thinking about it and got so afraid that it could have been a visit from my mom and that she was dead. So I had to call her but she was all good, enjoying her day off work because of the snow. I had to fight back the tears and act like nothing was wrong. I don't know why this makes me so emotional. Nothing bad even happened in the dream. It just led to me thinking these crazy thoughts.

Sleepwalker

I once had a dream where I ended up killing my mom by accident (long story), I woke up feeling absolutely awful. This was several years ago and my mom still here fine and I'm not a murderer.

Dreams can feel very very real and sometimes we like to give them more weight than they really have. Try and put it behind you and take it as a reminder to enjoy your mom and appreciate it her while she's still around.

Neolombax

When I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, I was in a religious studies class where they taught us about the Armageddon, how it could happen anytime without any warning. I got so scared and began to cry, that I called my mom several times a day from school just to check on her. This lasted for about a week or so.

I think I can understand how you're feeling, it sucks honestly.

Cattlyst

Both of my parents are dead and I still dream about them both quite regularly. I think it's quite normal to be honest. I actually quite like the fact that the subconscious mind keeps them alive in some strange way.

Karmic Raze

Both of my parents are dead and I still dream about them both quite regularly. I think it's quite normal to be honest. I actually quite like the fact that the subconscious mind keeps them alive in some strange way.
Yeah, I dream about my adopted parents (my Great Grandparents) a lot. Just had a dream earlier about my Great Grandpa. Makes me feel at peace sometimes.

MastAndo

Yeah, dreams have a way of being emotionally impactful like that. I recently had one about my mom, who is alive and well - I was a kid again and we were flying together, above the rooftops of the neighborhood I grew up in. There were colorful balloon clusters atop the buildings we saw, and I pointed each out to her so we could take in the sights together. She smiled at me and said "I did this for you"...then I just remember waking up to the sound of my own sobbing. I hardly ever cry and I haven't bawled like that since my dog died over 15 years ago, but this dream straight messed me up far more than any waking thought could.

PSYGN

Some dreams are too realistic for comfort. Several years after Sept. 11 I remember dreaming that I was just chilling on the couch in the living room and seeing the news about a plane crash in the Pacific ocean. For whatever reason I had my parents plane ticket receipts by me and the plane numbers matched and felt immediate dread like I have never felt before. I woke up crying.

DESTROYA

People say your dreams something but I’m more of the theory that states that dreams don’t actually mean anything. Instead they’re merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories. The theory suggests that humans construct dream stories after they wake up. This is a natural attempt to make sense of it all.
Not the Freud theory that dreams revealed unconsciously repressed conflicts or wishes. According to Freud, dreams are imagery of a wish or impulse from childhood that has since been repressed. This is why Freud studied dreams to understand the unconscious mind. Therefore, according to Freud, your dreams reveal your repressed wishes to you.

Any dream that frightens you is very upsetting but ultimately have no control over you unless you let them.
Do yourself a favor and never forget to tell your parents and family how much they mean to you.

Top Bottom