• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

AdanVC

God damn I also wish I could do this for MGS5 releasing next month but don't have any console to play either the new one or past entries (Wii U/3DS owner only here) SIgh. At least I can play Twin Snakes on GameCube via Wii...

Forkball

Nanomachines
Clones
SOLDIER'S WORLD
Some people may or may not be dead
WHAT A THRIIIIIIIIILL...

There. You're pretty much caught up.

Krejlooc

Banned
Really looking forward to 2, I'm not skipping.

From a story perspective that seems from the outside to be the most interesting.

I know some people have already chimed in on this -- but how essential is Peace Walker? I'm honestly most interested in it because of how much Greg Miller talks up that game, it's kinda absurd.

Peace Walker is a direct prequel to MGSV. Like, in Ground Zeroes (which is basically the fist opening bit to MGSV) literally all the characters you meet and interact with are from Peace Walker.

It's just as vital as any other entry in the series. Skipping it would be akin to skipping MGS2, since it's the follow up to MGS3.

I know some people have already chimed in on this -- but how essential is Peace Walker? I'm honestly most interested in it because of how much Greg Miller talks up that game, it's kinda absurd.

Very essential. Peace Walker is essentially a mainline series.

Well maybe this should be the official series playthrough before TPP thread? lol
Anyway, I've replayed these games sooo many fucking times (including a complete series playthrough a couple years back) and I'm wondering if I should even do it again JUST because. I mean, I'm trying to avoid fatigue here.

So, I'm thinking of maybe just playing a select few and skipping the cutscenes since I know the saga like the back of my hand at this point.
Howabout:

MGS2
MGS3
PW
GZ

I just can't force myself to play MGS1 or 4 again.... they're just... not fun, ESPECIALLY 4 after you get past Ch.2 :(

What say you GAF?

From a story perspective that seems from the outside to be the most interesting.

A lot of characters that were introduced in PW return in GZ and TPP. When Peace Walker came out, it was marketed as a direct sequel to MGS3 and not Portable Ops (Which is placed between those two games in the timeline.), and MGSV is a direct sequel to PW.

Presumably the guy is trying to get the entire story down

This would be like telling someone they can safely skip Empire Strikes Back when watching the Star Wars trilogy. Just WTF, MGS2 is one of the most important games in the entire series when it comes to the overall plot.

The key difference between the two is that the original Star Wars trilogy is seminal celluloid sci-fi, and it makes sense to watch them for their story. The Empire Strikes Back is a masterpiece. Even at its best, the story in MGS is utter bobbins, marred by reams of elongated exposition, hammy dialogue and Kojima's subtle-as-a-sledgehammer direction. Storywise, the saga reaches its nadir in 2. It's just... absolute fucking dreadful in that respect.

Actually, maybe 4 is worse, but he's already played that one, so...

I will fucking cut you.

Play 1, 2, 3, and 4. If you're gonna skip anything, its Peace Walker.

What the fuck would you skip peace walker? GZ and TPPis the direct sequel to peace walker.

Get the legacy edition, play them in release order and youtube portable ops clips.

Roto13

I was actually kind of surprised by how important Peace Walker was Ground Zeroes. Game was basically a Peace Walker epilogue.

Oh -- and I'll update the thread as I go through the games, or make a new one. It's 3am here in Tasmania, so first thing I'll head down to my local EB and try and get a copy of that legacy collection, or just the HD one if I can't find it. I guess the port is fine on both, yeah? I take it Legacy is just better because it's a more complete package.

Yeah, the legacy collection is basically just a box containing the regular HD collection, MGS4 and a download code for MGS1 and the VR missions on PSN. And a bunch of bonus stuff for collectors.

It was also pretty expensive last time I checked. It was a limited run, I think.

Roussow

I'd also be curious to know peoples ranking of their personal favorites in the series?
I enjoy hearing Neogafs thoughts on MGS.

Aequitas

Good luck OP, you're in for a great time, so long as you don't burn yourself out.

And don't mean to derail the thread, but there's basically no chance of getting a ps4 port of the Legacy Collection is there?

Krejlooc

Banned
blahblahblah

neat. Instead of projecting your terrible, contrarian opinion on the guy, why not let him experience the story so he can come to his own conclusions instead of popping into this thread to remind everyone that you don't like the game? You know, stick to the topic of the thread instead of trying to make the thread all about you?

Heh I'm doing a big replay too. Recently re beat MGS for the first time since 97 and final got the Meryl ending lol. Still the best game in the series. I never played peace walker and revengeance so I'm looking forward to playing those.

I'd also be curious to know peoples ranking of their personal favorites in the series?

First is the best. 2 is one of the best game sequels of all time. MGS3 is the greatest prequel game ever made. 4 sucks. Peace Walker is underrated. There, done.

Get this.

52503_front.jpg

fixed.

Gaffi

Oh -- and I'll update the thread as I go through the games, or make a new one. It's 3am here in Tasmania, so first thing I'll head down to my local EB and try and get a copy of that legacy collection, or just the HD one if I can't find it. I guess the port is fine on both, yeah? I take it Legacy is just better because it's a more complete package.

PW is very essential for MGSV, if you like RPG's or leveling mechanics, it's an extremely addictive almost arcade experience. Also try to join up with people for the bosses. The only dumb mechanic is that the bosses don't scale to the number of players. It's doable solo, but it's way more frusterating. Also listen to some of the cassettes, great humor in a few of them.

You are fine with the legacy or HD collection. Legacy has MGS4 and some cool motion comic recaps of MGS1/2, if you like the style of the PW cutscenes.

Peace Walker is pretty important heading into GZ and TPP, I wouldn't skip that specially since the HD port is pretty damn good.
Mine goes
Ghost Babel > Rising >
MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS2 > PW > GZ > MG2 > MG1 > MGS4

it may be batshit crazy but that is terrible advice.

Seriously

I'm replaying 2 right now via HD Collection and it's still a joy to play due to it's super tight design.
Biggest hurdles is wrestling with it's hilarious (even during release) controls.

Still my favorite story in the series too next to MGS3

Smfh.

"Skip 2."
"Skip 4."
"Skip PW."

Wtf. OP pls don't listen to anything these scrubs say tbh - skip nothing, especially if you have the means to play it all!!!!!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, Iḿ just gonna use this thread to ask: Does MGS 4 make good on the things set up in MGS 2? Cause I felt like that plot was a gigantic mess. I have heard people saying that the story ibn MGS 2 is very complicated but it kinda isn´t, itś a pretty simple story told in a confusing way with some random elements tossed in.
I liked playing the game, even though the environement is pretty boring, but man that story just felt......well actually the story itself is okay, but the way it is told just seemed like a mess to me. Still a good game overall though.

as much as i wish you could skip 2

you cant

its unfortunately integral to the series

So, Iḿ just gonna use this thread to ask: Does MGS 4 make good on the things set up in MGS 2? Cause I felt like that plot was a gigantic mess. I have heard people saying that the story ibn MGS 2 is very complicated but it kinda isn´t, itś a pretty simple story told in a confusing way with some random elements tossed in.
I liked playing the game, even though the environement is pretty boring, but man that story just felt......well actually the story itself is okay, but the way it is told just seemed like a mess to me. Still a good game overall though.

um

it depends on how crazy you are i suppose

JawzPause

I did this two summers ago (although I had played and completed them all before) and I wouldn't recommend it. They are all fantastic games but by playing one after the other you will burn yourself out. Just take your time playing each one and don't set a time limit.

as much as i wish you could skip 2

you cant

its unfortunately integral to the series
wut. MGS2 is my favorite

MGS2
MGSPW
MGS4
MGS3
MGS1
MG2
MG

Honestly hate ranking them since I love them all so much but I'd say 2 and PW are in a tight race for my favorite (if you asked me my all time favorite game, it'd be a coin-toss between those two dependent on the day it is at the time of asking). :'D

TheXbox

All this plot in one month... Your head will explode!

Anyway.

1-2-3.

4 and PW on youtube.

Then GZ.

40 hours at most.
Why the hell would you not play 4? People only ever take issue with the story (which is fine in itself), no one ever complains about the gameplay. Just play all four main games, OP, none of them last longer than 12 hours.

zma1013

Pondering whether I should open up my Legacy Collection just to play PW since that's the only one I haven't played yet. Hmm.

LowParry

Don't forget to pay attention to uniform numbers. They may mean something. Like complete mind fuck something.

Take a shot every time someone opens a thread about playing through all of the MGS for the first time (or something similar)

JK, I find cool that more people are trying to get into the series.

You jest, but I've seen literally dozens of these threads pop up in the last two weeks. We need some pre-release hype OT to contain this so that people stop asking about play orders and necessity of prequels.

Skyzard

Banned
Play the first 3 on Vita, you'll get them done in no time.

I remember reading the 1st had sound issues on Vita, not sure if that's been resolved, not got it on mine currently.

Pondering whether I should open up my Legacy Collection just to play PW since that's the only one I haven't played yet. Hmm.

Do it. Story is simple enough but the game is really rewarding for you putting the time into getting better at it. As a hardcore MGS fan, it was a goldmine for me (and makes me so much more excited for how TPP will be in this regard). The tank/helicopter battles are much better on your (presumably) second go-round -- attempting to acquire them via Fulton/S rank is much more fun than handling them as bullet sponges, which is the course of action for most on their first playthrough!

Zach

I've played Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. I suggest not playing them. I do suggest watching them in "movie" form on YouTube, though:

Metal Gear (~18 minutes)

Metal Gear 2 (~65 minutes)

It's cool to see the progression of the series. And I really love that Metal Gear 2 intro. :D

Anyway, I'm not a hater
(Hayter?)
of The Twin Snakes, but I suggest playing the original Metal Gear Solid as a first time player. So yeah, basically:

Metal Gear - watch on YouTube
Metal Gear 2 - watch on YouTube
Metal Gear Solid - play the original
Metal Gear Solid 2 - play
Metal Gear Solid 3 - play
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - watch on YouTube if you want
Metal Gear Solid 4 - play
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - play
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - play

Good luck! I hope you have fun and accomplish what you want in time for The Phantom Pain!

Top Bottom