• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

neat. Instead of projecting your terrible, contrarian opinion on the guy, why not let him experience the story so he can come to his own conclusions instead of popping into this thread to remind everyone that you don't like the game? You know, stick to the topic of the thread instead of trying to make the thread all about you?

You need to calm down, the petulant and aggressive tone of your post and the baseless assumptions are not appreciated. I'm not trying to make this thread all about myself, it's an open forum and I'm permitted to express my opinion, even if it's in a semi-jokey way. I can't predict nor help it if other people have a strong reaction, but at least most of them are being good sports about it. MGS2 has always had its naysayers anyway.

There's no need to take things so seriously.

Caja 117

Dont skip any of them and Play them in release order. I feel Peace Walker is important to have a better grasp on MGS V.

BTW, I have tried to play the to MSX games that comes with the legacy collection and never really got into them, =/ i wish i could, my knowlledge of MG is vague prior to MGS

I'd also be curious to know peoples ranking of their personal favorites in the series?
I enjoy hearing Neogafs thoughts on MGS.

2 > 3 >>> 1 > PW > 4

I consider 4 to be among the best games ever made, to give you a more absolute view of my opinion on the series.

The most important advice for you (and anyone playing the series for the first time) is to understand how different each game is from each other. They're all Stealth-Action games with a love of cinematic storytelling (many would say too much), but each game does its take differently. It's also important to note that this does not necessarily mean "better", just different. I much prefer the gameplay of 2 and 4 to 3, but 3 is nipping at 2's heels for my favorite of the series. 1 and 2 are very similar gameplay-wise but 2 just does everything much better, while 3, 4 and Peace Walker each are pretty much their own thing. You'll have to relearn how to play for each one, but don't let this get you down: they're all excellent one their own once you get the hang of it.

Kriken

Which would be better to play first having beat MGS1-3 Peace Walker or MGS4? I want to complete my playthroughs as well before TPP

Telling him to play the objectively better version of MGS1 is bad advice? OK then lmfao

lmfao at you lmfao

Besides, OP stated he's playing on PS3/Vita, not Gamecube.

You either could not read that or you're intentionally trolling, knowing how the majority dislikes TSS. I'm not sure which.

Tl;dr Yes it's bad advice. And borderline bait posting.

Zach

I'd also be curious to know peoples ranking of their personal favorites in the series?

Metal Gear - C
Metal Gear 2 - B+
Metal Gear Solid (and the Twin Snakes) - B+
Metal Gear Solid 2 - A+
Metal Gear Solid 3 - A+
Metal Gear Solid 4 - B-
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - B-
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - B-
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - B

Telling him to play the objectively better version of MGS1 is bad advice? OK then lmfao
Considering that he can buy the entire Legacy Collection (which has all the games in it) for a price similar to what the Twin Snakes goes for these days? Yeah. It's pretty terrible advice.

Add on the fact that it's not objectively better? Yeah, your advice is plain awful.

Krejlooc

Banned
You need to calm down, the petulant and aggressive tone of your post and the baseless assumptions are not appreciated. I'm not trying to make this thread all about myself, it's an open forum and I'm permitted to express my opinion, even if it's in a semi-jokey way. I can't predict nor help it if other people have a strong reaction, but at least most of them are being good sports about it. MGS2 has always had its naysayers anyway.

There's no need to take things so seriously.

You've added nothing to this discussion. You're not helping at all.

Ryan_MSF

Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid GZ
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid PW

Red Hood

Banned
How about playing them at your own pace without risking burning yourself out for TPP? It's not like it's going to run away after release.

Considering that he can buy the entire Legacy Collection (which has all the games in it) for a price similar to what the Twin Snakes goes for these days? Yeah. It's pretty terrible advice.

Add on the fact that it's not objectively better? Yeah, your advice is plain awful.

I obviously meant for him to play Twin Snakes in the place of MGS1 not the whole damn series.

Considering Twin Snakes is considerably better gameplay wise I don't see how you've come to that conclusion but oh well.

I obviously meant for him to play Twin Snakes in the place of MGS1 not the whole damn series.

Considering Twin Snakes is considerably better gameplay wise I don't see how you've come to that conclusion but oh well.
I understand what your idea was, and I'm saying it's a waste of time and money. Why waste money on one game when you can get the entire package?

On another note, I don't think you understand what the word objective means.

I have never played any of them. I'm just going to play ground zeroes and then phantom pain and read a wiki for everything else.

Unless they're on PC.

I played and enjoyed the hell out of MGS1 for PS1 back in the day. Loved it mainly because it was so new and different. Played MGS2 probably once and didn't enjoy it all that much. Haven't been able to get back into it since, despite giving 3 and 4 a decent go.

Don't know why.

TheXbox

3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > others

GAF is the only place on Earth where people hate 4. For some reason people think it is unique in the franchise for having a bad story. The truth is that all of them, with the exception of Snake Eater, are terribly written. The only difference between 4 and 1/2 is that 4 plays better.

Jimmydg

My personal preferences in order:

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

The order to play must be:

Metal Gear Solid 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> Peace Walker

If you have time play Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake from MSX (included both in MGS Collection HD or Metal Gear Legacy Collection)

Two Words

MGS is a franchise that I wouldn't want to rush through all at once. It feels nice to play one and have time to yearn for a new one.

antitrop

Marathoning game series before a new game is released is a great way to ruin the new game for yourself.

Read a plot synopsis or something, or give yourself longer than a month and play 5 when you're ready.

You will get burned out. I have the Legacy Collection too and started playing the series but playing 5 games of the same franchise in one month ...

Take your time. Enjoy the games.You managed to avoid the series for over 15 years (except for one title) ... you don't need to buy 5 on release. Get MGSV later. Cheaper and patched. I know I will.

So much truth in this post

Unbalanced tacked on shit isn't "better"

That's how you end up with Ubisoft games

Pez

Hmmm.

I feel like the only ones you realy need to play are Peace Walker and MGS 3.

Depending on where phantom pain's story goes, knowing about Solid Snake could be interesting.

I understand what your idea was, and I'm saying it's a waste of time and money. Why waste money on one game when you can get the entire package?

On another note, I don't think you understand what the word objective means.

I resold my copy of Twin Snakes for profit after playing it. I assume he's not going to replay these games anyway.

"not influenced by personal feelings or opinions" - most people's problems with TTS are with voice acting, cutscenes & music being different from the original. People like to say the boss fights are ruined by the first person camera whereas someone who didn't play MGS1 would probably appreciate knowing what they're shooting at.

EDIT: You know what, I just remembered that I'm one of those guys who thinks DMC2 isn't that bad, and I've realized that I'm a bit of an apologist for the less-well received games in my favourite series. So yeah, disregard everything I said in this thread concerning Twin Snakes.

Bollocks

MGS3 your first time

so_good.png

I would sacrifice my firstborn to experience it all over again.
Playing it years later as part of the HD collection and knowing the story I was still like
photo.jpg

jesu

I could possibly play the HD collection, buy MGS4 and then play Ground Zeroes but I don't think I'd manage it in time for the Phantom Pain.
Good luck OP, I think I might just settle with Ground Zeroes for now.

Why 1 month? Are you only allowed to play MGSV on the day its released?

Let's face facts: Whatever insane shenanigans Kojima has hidden in MGS V will quickly be found and splattered all over the internet. If the OP frequents anywhere not as heavily moderated as GAF (youtube, game articles, other forums, etc.) running over spoilers is pretty likely, and will increase as time goes on.

Rushing the series isn't optimal but in this case might be necessary. Also, its not like MGS games are crazy long RPGs or anything. Squeezing 5 into a month will be tough but not out of the question.

edit:
Good luck OP, I think I might just settle with Ground Zeroes for now.

Bare minimum I say: 3 -> Peace Walker -> Ground Zeroes. You've got all the relevant bits.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
You will get burned out. I have the Legacy Collection too and started playing the series but playing 5 games of the same franchise in one month ...

Take your time. Enjoy the games.You managed to avoid the series for over 15 years (except for one title) ... you don't need to buy 5 on release. Get MGSV later. Cheaper and patched. I know I will.

I had no problem playing through all the games for the first time in the last three weeks, it's not really a problem for everyone.

KillySG10

Neo Member
i find it incredibly difficult to decide, so, ive put some on equal footing here:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid - Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear

I love them all though so ordering them is, kinda weird for me xP

Oh, there's just one important bit of advice before you start playing the older games!

It's always frustrating to see people play these for the first time while they struggle with figuring out the simplest actions, how to take out dudes while unarmed, or even how to manually reload, etc.

Read the manual, at least the section detailing the controls and all the moves. The games just kind of throw you into the action without explaining much, (While overexplaining every little detail about the plots.) and the control set-up is a bit unconventional. (But not hard to learn.)

BasilZero

Hey OP!

I ordered MGS Legacy Collection for PS3 and I think thats honestly the best option now to play all of the main MGS games.

I cant wait to play the games since its my first time getting into the series.

Going to play it by release order rather than story order.

Top Bottom