• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know why Disney's greatest hand drawn film will never be released on Bluray/HD

Hold up, Atlantis got a direct to DVD sequel? They cared enough to release to Atlantis sequel on Blu Ray?
There’s SIX Tinker Bell movies?
Hell that Atlantis sequel was really just the first few episodes of a TV series that never was.
Have you ever been in a Hot Topic? Tinkerbell was(is?) A pop culture "icon".
I think the Tinkerbell movies basically replaced the bad straight to tv/video sequels of classic Disney movies. I don't even know if they do those anymore.

RenditMan

Banned
Fingerguns are banned.

Real guns are not.

Americans are proper cray cray.

*Edit* I'm not the first to think this clearly. LOL.

And they just released a bunch of Goofy Movie themed apparel. I just bought a Powerline shirt at Target the other day.
screenshot_20171020-08kro4.png

scamander

Banned
Hell that Atlantis sequel was really just the first few episodes of a TV series that never was.
Have you ever been in a Hot Topic? Tinkerbell was(is?) A pop culture "icon".
I think the Tinkerbell movies basically replaced the bad straight to tv/video sequels of classic Disney movies. I don't even know if they do those anymore.

Yes, they did and no, they don't. When Lasseter took over leadership of the Disney animation studios after the Pixar buyout, he scrapped all "cheapquels" that were still in production (like Dumbo 2) and made sure the Toon Studios would make spin-offs with an overall higher quality instead.

Cheerilee

There’s SIX Tinker Bell movies?

Yeah, just prior to Pixar's takeover of Disney, Disney's merchandising department realized that Tinkerbell is basically the Queen of Disney, a female Mickey Mouse, she flies an arc over the castle in the opening of just about every Disney movie, and she moves tons of merchandise... and yet she's a public domain character (polar opposite of Mickey) and the most anyone did with the character in 50 years was Julia Roberts.

So they split Tink off from the "Disney Princess" line and set about creating a new world for Tink as part of a "Disney Fairies" line (a world of fairies operating in secret out of Neverland). They initially signed up DisneyToon to make four movies to support the franchise-building push.

Then Lasseter came on board, and he objected to the milking of IP that DisneyToon had previously been assigned to, but he couldn't argue with building IP (or the marketing department's power as the head of the massively-lucrative Disney Princess line), so he took a productive role in making sure the Tink movies turned out good. And they did turn out good. They also made a ton of money, so they got extended to more and more movies. But then the direct-to-DVD market started to dry up, and Blu ray didn't step up to replace DVD, so Disney quit while they were ahead.

Honestly, I would've preferred if they had made at least two more Tinkerbell movies before calling it quits. At bare minimum, Lucy Liu's "Silvermist" needed her own movie.

Z3M0G

In the middle of a conversation about something annoying or the like i could see myself expressing it by pretending to shoot myself with a finger gun... i used to do it all the time.

I assume a teacher seeing a kid do that now would lead to extensive counseling or worst...

Tizoc

"OK, Max, now this is it; Left or Right?!"
*Max hesitates as dramatic music is played in the background
"Come on, Max!"

Now that I recall the movie, I rather enjoyed the last half or 1/3 a lot more than the first.

Seeing this is a Goofy thread I need to ask this.

I used to watch some Goofy cartoons when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure they were old even 30 year ago.

The scenes I remember was a cooked chicken and Goofy would float towards it whilst sniffing it's travelling smell? I also remember him I think playing basket ball in a team as well. Pretty sure there was a voice over on them too.

Anyone remember these?

entremet

I used to watch some Goofy cartoons when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure they were old even 30 year ago.

The scenes I remember was a cooked chicken and Goofy would float towards it whilst sniffing it's travelling smell? I also remember him I think playing basket ball in a team as well. Pretty sure there was a voice over on them too.

Anyone remember these?

Yes. Those were older shorts. Was it Goofy or a Dog character, though?

.J.

Banned
I...don’t think America has banned finger guns. That’s kind of a goofy™ conclusion to jump to. Disney, a private company, is electing to not release that movie to blu ray because of the finger guns, but again that’s only according to a random person on the internet speculating.

America’s cognitive dissonance between forms of violence or sex or whatever is certainly astounding and dumb, but this thread is a lot of people running with a pretty shaky premise to make some lame, obvious armchair political statements.

I...don’t think America has banned finger guns. That’s kind of a goofy™ conclusion to jump to. Disney, a private company, is electing to not release that movie to blu ray because of the finger guns, but again that’s only according to a random person on the internet speculating.

America’s cognitive dissonance between forms of violence or sex or whatever is certainly astounding and dumb, but this thread is a lot of people running with a pretty shaky premise to make some lame, obvious armchair political statements.

Pretty sure that most people other than the OP don't actually think it's about finger guns in the case of the movie. Also pretty sure that at least some american schools HAVE banned finger guns according to what has been posted here, so there's nothing lame or armchair political about saying it like it is.

novenD

Powerline is the voice of a generation and I will hear no other answers

Let's hold out hope for the 25th anniversary surprising us with a release; at least there's still a chance of it happening, unlike Prince of Egypt.

I went to this.

It was awful.

Okay I mean the dance in the Max suit routine was pretty cool. But I fought Hollywood traffic and got my ticket as soon as it was available to see this thinking “finally, I get to see an original print of A Goofy Movie in it’s intended format!”

Dude, they fucking played some home media cropped widescreen version of this fucking film. You could see the blurred staircase lines on the 100-foot screen, as well as edges and animation that were cut off on the borders. I couldn’t believe my fucking eyes. Not even the el cap could land an original reel for this film. I was dumbstruck.

Nothing says we care like dumping a home media version of the film on theater screen and calling it an “event”. I appreciated the effort, but come on.
To be fair, I didn't say it was good, just that they did it at all. :p

But I'm glad you brought up some of the issues with the movie itself because I thought I was going crazy, I've watched it on iTunes a bunch of times but at the El Cap I thought I noticed the picture like... stutter every once in a while? I remember thinking that it looked like it was dropping frames and over-all it looked worse than I remembered but I was like "No, no, you're imagining things."

So, glad to know I wasn't going crazy, but disappointing too. It was still better than nothing though ):

bengraven

This thread reminded me that for a year or two at a time, at one point in the 2000s Winnie the Pooh and Tinkerbell were massively popular.

I remember being a classic Pooh fan and sick of the NORMIES with their Milne Pooh couch pillows.

I attended a talk recently from the head of animation restoration at Disney who said on the topic that their budget each year mostly goes toward restoring the older films, and getting those released due to the ticking time clock of nitrate film stock. He said a lot of the films that got VHS release weren't preserved like they should have been, and would require more work than just scanning the film print again.

So it's a budget thing, by the sounds of it. Priority being on the films that are literally disintegrating, then they'll move on to the stuff that's more approachable.

This seems a lot more plausible than the finger guns.

Dishwalla

Banned

Anyone remember these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q45A8Pc6VU0

There's a whole series of cartoons in the 1940s with Goofy demonstrating how to play various sports(this one, "How to Play Football", "Hockey Homicide", "Goofy Gymnastics", etc.). Not sure about the other cartoon you are talking about, similar scenes to that description occur in a number of cartoons starring many different characters.

Kitoro

I think Disney forgot they made this movie. I mean, they went out of their way to re-release Oliver & Company on Bluray. Either that or they don't have the song rights to Eye to Eye.

Considering they released it last month in El Capitan for two weekends, and set up cosplay events and photo ops, I'm pretty sure they're receptive to its cult classic status.

This was made by Disney's B-Team back then, the same team that made The Brave Little Toaster. They're not into investing in Blu-ray releases for B-Team work. Even the new straight to home media Tangled movie only released on DVD this year.

A Goofy Movie is mediocre, boosted by people who saw it when they were children and not since, or by furries, and it is a Disney Afternoon film which I’m sure they are more than ready to bury than others. Next people will ask why Bonkers isn’t on Blu-ray as well.

People who like A Goofy Movie probably think Hook is a good movie.

The movie has only gotten better with age. As a child and now a father of a teenager, it resonates. The music is still good.

And bonkers? Really? No obe gsve a crap about bonkers then and not now either.

Que someone telling me bonkers was there favorite show.

Kitoro

You're like the 96th person to bring this up, yet no one has an answer for this argument:

If they didn't care, why release the less profitable, lesser known, lesser quality sequel?

I'd say that's probably because it was a much newer film and made for digital media, making for an easier, cheaper, and faster restoration. Additionally, because it was a straight-to-video film with significantly less fanfare releasing solely for digital streaming, they're held under less scrutiny on the quality of the restoration.

Considering they released it last month in El Capitan for two weekends, and set up cosplay events and photo ops, I'm pretty sure they're receptive to its cult classic status.

This was made by Disney's B-Team back then, the same team that made The Brave Little Toaster. They're not into investing in Blu-ray releases for B-Team work. Even the new straight to home media Tangled movie only released on DVD this year.

Tangled got a Bluray release back in 2011.

Kitoro

We're two years away from the 25th anniversary. If they were waiting for some reason to release it I'd imagine it'd be then.

Give me a $200 Collector's Edition with a Powerline bust, concert poster, Bigfoot plush, Goofy's fisherman bobblehead, and a Lester's Possum Park hat, and I'm sold.

Include a can of Cheddar Whizzy, and I'd go to $250.

Top Bottom