• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know why Disney's greatest hand drawn film will never be released on Bluray/HD

PixelatedBookake

Movie resonates with me super hard nowadays. I saw the sequel first (weird, I know) but seeing the original years later and even now I have a lot of nostalgia for the film. About a week after my mom passed about 2 years ago I caught the movie on TV again and the scene where Goofy and Max are singing on the car in the river had me crying like a baby. I'll love this movie until I die, and I'd love to own it in a modern viewing format.

When's the last time you saw it? It still holds up.
Right? This whole “ you probably only think it’s good cause you saw it when you were babby” is nonsense. This ain’t fucking Space Jam, it’s a legitimately good film. And it was the same director from Tarzan bringing his A-game. What’s with the brash dismissal of this man’s work? It only illuminates who actually hasn’t seen the film since they were kids.

.J.

Banned
Pretty sure that most people other than the OP don't actually think it's about finger guns in the case of the movie. Also pretty sure that at least some american schools HAVE banned finger guns according to what has been posted here, so there's nothing lame or armchair political about saying it like it is.

I was responding to literally several posts immediately above mine that were saying that. So it's the OP and at least a few other people. And if some schools have banned the gesture, whatever. That still isn't a state or federal government sanctioned "banning" is all I'm saying.

Edit: All I'm saying is, words have meaning and how you present these ideas has a bearing on how you're perceived. People jumping to silly conclusions and then using that conclusion as another building block in their worldview risk having a very shaky foundation when it comes down to really talking about these issues. I am unequivocally in favor of strong firearm regulation, and I think that "banning" the use of something like finger guns is profoundly stupid, but that doesn't mean I should let this narrative carry any weight just because it would confirm something I already intuitively believe.

That kind of stuff just bothers me is all. It's the same kind of reflexive, thoughtless statement that's responsible for various misunderstandings and for steering us away from actually understanding a situation. It's like when I have to explain to coworkers that it's a problem when they refer to a peaceful protest as a "riot", even if they didn't really mean "riot". It unintentionally adds to a narrative that undermines the value of the protest, right? So in a sort of similar way, parroting something like, "Oh, look how stupid America is: they'll ban finger guns, but they won't ban real guns," is just a totally inaccurate and unhelpful way of framing anything, and it gets us no closer to any kind of truth. In fact, it becomes something that's easily dismissed because it's reflexive and inaccurate.

Tizoc

Didn't Great Mouse Detective involve a scene where a pistol was fired at the doctor? Is that movie available in HD?

Didn't Great Mouse Detective involve a scene where a pistol was fired at the doctor? Is that movie available in HD?

Far from the only use of firearms in Disney animation.

11.jpg

I had this on VHS as a kid.

BibiMaghoo

My partner has an extreme irrational hatred for Goofy. It is quite funny. Perhaps there are others like her and this is why it cannot be done.

Linkura

maybe someone spilled their coffee all over the original print and fucked it up.

Who knows... it seems like there must be some weird answer like that if the sequel is in HD.

Probably something like that. There's so many games that can't be rereleased due to losing the source code. Either way, I think the OP's explanation is obviously not true.

rjinaz

Seriously. A good movie is a good movie. It doesn't matter if it's about a wooden puppet turned human, or talking deer, or a blue genie in a lamp, it all seems silly when you think about it, but it doesn't mean the movie isn't any good.

Seeing this is a Goofy thread I need to ask this.

I used to watch some Goofy cartoons when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure they were old even 30 year ago.

The scenes I remember was a cooked chicken and Goofy would float towards it whilst sniffing it's travelling smell? I also remember him I think playing basket ball in a team as well. Pretty sure there was a voice over on them too.

Anyone remember these?

Might have been a solo Pluto cartoon. Disney made several of those back in the day.

Far from the only use of firearms in Disney animation.

11.jpg

I had this on VHS as a kid.

Cartoons were very different back then. The "it's only for kids" mentality hadn't become quite so popular as you can imagine. It didn't really become "law" until TV. In fact there were plenty of cartoons that were in fact written with adults in mind, Looney Tunes being a prime example.

Some of y'all need to re-watch the movie. No other Disney show or movie will have Goofy express anger and sadness that he can't be a cool father to his son.

Zetta

I still have this on VHS lol, I would buy the Bluray of this in a heartbeat. I can still to this day sing Eye to Eye word for word, its a shame its not on Bluray.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Some of y'all need to re-watch the movie. No other Disney show or movie will have Goofy express anger and sadness that he can't be a cool father to his son.

the pool scene where pete and goofy are talking...holy crap. Watching it again as an adult, that was some serious shit that would fly over a kids head.

Cartoons were very different back then. The "it's only for kids" mentality hadn't become quite so popular as you can imagine. It didn't really become "law" until TV. In fact there were plenty of cartoons that were in fact written with adults in mind, Looney Tunes being a prime example.

Yep, that's true. Max Fleischer's stuff was also geared toward an older audience than, say Silly Symphonies IIRC. Cartoons being the domain of kids wasn't really a thing until the rise of the Saturday morning cartoon.

Regardless, Disney has always gone for a general audience.

the pool scene where pete and goofy are talking...holy crap. Watching it again as an adult, that was some serious shit that would fly over a kids head.
Goofy: "My son loves me."
Pete: "My son respects me."

I can't believe that dialogue went over my head when I first saw it.

Edit: Goofy actually says: "Y'know, maybe Max isn't all the things that you think a son should be, but, he loves me."

Blues1990

On the one hand, I can understand where Pete is coming from. A child can love his/her parent until they turn blue in the face, but both need to have mutual respect for one-another. That way, they'll see you worthy as a parent who is responsible, understanding, and both can learn from each others mistakes. So I can understand that Pete doesn't want Goofy getting played by Max.

(Which is ironic, considering Pete gains PJ's "respect" through neglect, abuse, and fear tactics. LOL)

bengraven

Coworker of mine brought this up today. “Do you know the one Disney movie...”

I know he worked at GameStop a few years ago, but this was a shock. He insisted he has never heard of GAF. When he said “you can get fucking Extremely Goofy...” I called him out but he swears.

Quinton, I’m fucking onto you man.

Coworker of mine brought this up today. “Do you know the one Disney movie...”

I know he worked at GameStop a few years ago, but this was a shock. He insisted he has never heard of GAF. When he said “you can get fucking Extremely Goofy...” I called him out but he swears.

Quinton, I’m fucking onto you man.
Lmao.

To be fair, I’d probably deny having an account on here to avoid my irl friends digging through my posts. I like to keep those worlds seperate.

This, the map scene, the “electric chair” talk were just utter gut punches. You really felt for Goofy, even as a kid.

Can it be a music rights issue when Disney's still selling the soundtrack?
What does this mean? Disney owns all of it, the music, the movie, there's no rights issue when everything about the movie belongs to one company?

The travesty about the music is I2I and Stand Out are the ONLY songs in that artist's multi-disc history that sound like that. I don't know what in the hell possessed Disney to pick him to be Powerline but it couldn't have been based on his discography. The day I sat and listened through all of it looking for more Powerline-esque songs was a harshly disappointing day indeed.

On the one hand, I can understand where Pete is coming from. A child can love his/her parent until they turn blue in the face, but both need to have mutual respect for one-another. That way, they'll see you worthy as a parent who is responsible, understanding, and both can learn from each others mistakes. So I can understand that Pete doesn't want Goofy getting played by Max.

(Which is ironic, considering Pete gains PJ's "respect" through neglect, abuse, and fear tactics. LOL)

It's almost like they need to see... eye to eye :p

The point is Goofy see's how Pete treats his son and doesn't want to fall into that trap with Max.

Bitanator

I went to watch this in theaters just a couple days after its release and there was only one old couple in there with my family. This was a time when kids watched any cartoon shit in that theater and nobody cared to view it. Became one of my favorite movies and worn out couple vhs tapes of it.

If it does come out in blueray they need to include that Dr. Looney's Remedy music video that played on the VHS

OP, is this supposed to be satire? What are you doing?
Finding any reason for why this classic hasn't been released on Blu-ray.

tbh I just think they don't care enough. They put together the 20th anniversary stuff which means someone at Disney recognizes the movie's cult status, but Disney's a big company and I'd guess those branches aren't connected.

Wait, why would they cut parts in AGM?
There was that one scene with Bobby spraying his "cheez whiz" on the girls, but I don't think I'm allowed to share that here.

Top Bottom