• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love Metal Gear to death, yet I have zero interest in MGSV

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm with OP. MGSV is the first main MGS that I'm not really excited for.
I blame MGSIV for it though as it has single handedly destroyed the entire series for me.

Now that's just hooey, I don't know what you're comparing them to but MGSV has some of the most fluid gameplay and widest range of options at your disposal in any game i've played.

The controls are pretty much spot on too, even people that couldn't get to grips with past entries had no issues with Ground Zeroes.

haha, yeah, that guy must be the one who made the time-traveller thread...

the gameplay possibilities and controls are far beyond anything we have currently and fixed all the control issues from MGS4.

Business

Now that's just hooey, I don't know what you're comparing them to but MGSV has some of the most fluid gameplay and widest range of options at your disposal in any game i've played.

The controls are pretty much spot on too, even people that couldn't get to grips with past entries had no issues with Ground Zeroes.

Maybe I just used that silly tse tse gun too much then, honest question what were the other options that constitute the widest range of options ever?

haha, yeah, that guy must be the one who made the time-traveller thread...

the gameplay possibilities and controls are far beyond anything we have currently and fixed all the control issues from MGS4.

It's missing the crawling to ledge hang thing from MGS4, and there's a few other janky parts but it's mostly pretty good.

Jack cw

I'm with OP. MGSV is the first main MGS that I'm not really excited for.
I blame MGSIV for it though as it has single handedly destroyed the entire series for me.

I guess many of us feels like this. MGS4, as good as a game as it was in the first 3 chapters, the whole storyline and retckoning of the convoluted shit in MGS2 simply killed it for me.

Besides No Man's Sky and Hyper Light Drifter I'd say MGSV is the only thing I'm looking forward to next year.

Only those three? Man, I've got WAY too many games I'm looking forward to next year. The three you mentioned (especially MGSV), Hotline Miami 2, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The Order, Witcher 3, REmake, Tearaway, Persona 5, Rime, FF Type-0 and so on. I'm going to be a very poor guy next year :(

A bit more on topic, but I'm the opposite of the OP. MGS4 got so stupid that it killed my interest in the over arching storyline but I still love the games for the gameplay. I had an absolute blast playing through Peace Walker (got the platinum in a week) and Ground Zeroes, and everything I've seen of Phantom Pain looks incredible as well.

Betty

Banned
Maybe I just used that silly tse tse gun too much then, honest question what were the other options that constitute the widest range of options ever?

How about

- you disarm everyone
- you play in first person only
- you knock them all out and let them live either by tranquilizing them, using a fast combo or throwing them to the ground
- you hold them up and make them lie on the ground
- you go in like rambo and play like a third person shooter killing everyone
- you disable all the hud indicators, including aiming reticule, and see how much it changes the way you play
- you try to complete a mission without using a weapon, especially the destroy anti air craft mission
- you disable or enable reflex mode and see how much it affects the difficulty
- you jump in a tank and go loco
- you play as a ghost and don't interact with anyone
- you create a distraction that lures guards away
- you enter the base by going through the front door, side door, drainage system or hiding on a truck or by just blowing up the front gate by sticking c4 to a truck
- go for either paz or chico first, or get both at once
- you retrieve rather than kill the assassination targets
- call in the chopper at any time at various locations
- rescue all the prisoners, save none or simply kill them
- escape by vehicle, on foot or by chopper

and there's specific things you can do on each mission but you get the idea.

FiraB

Banned
Only those three? Man, I've got WAY too many games I'm looking forward to next year. The three you mentioned (especially MGSV), Hotline Miami 2, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The Order, Witcher 3, REmake, Tearaway, Persona 5, Rime, FF Type-0 and so on. I'm going to be a very poor guy next year :(

A bit more on topic, but I'm the opposite of the OP. MGS4 got so stupid that it killed my interest in the over arching storyline but I still love the games for the gameplay. I had an absolute blast playing through Peace Walker (got the platinum in a week) and Ground Zeroes, and everything I've seen of Phantom Pain looks incredible as well.

Yeah I'm quite picky lately, being broker then normal because of moving is not fun.

Business

How about

- you disarm everyone
- you play in first person only
- you knock them all out and let them live either by tranquilizing them, using a fast combo or throwing them to the ground
- you hold them up and make them lie on the ground
- you go in like rambo and play like a third person shooter killing everyone
- you disable all the hud indicators, including aiming reticule, and see how much it changes the way you play
- you try to complete a mission without using a weapon, especially the destroy anti air craft mission
- you disable or enable reflex mode and see how much it affects the difficulty
- you jump in a tank and go loco
- you play as a ghost and don't interact with anyone
- you create a distraction that lures guards away
- you enter the base by going through the front door, side door, drainage system or hiding on a truck or by just blowing up the front gate by sticking c4 to a truck
- go for either paz or chico first, or get both at once
- you retrieve rather than kill the assassination targets
- call in the chopper at any time at various locations
- rescue all the prisoners, save none or simply kill them
- escape by vehicle, on foot or by chopper

and there's specific things you can do on each mission but you get the idea.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, maybe I just sucked at it.

J 0 E

I think this is the most ambitious MGS game to date, the scale and gameplay freedom and mechanics is what Kojima tried to achieve all along and got the hardware to achieve it now.

this is the first time I get excited for a Metal Gear game for the core gameplay more than anything else.

My increasing disinterest is simply because the narrative has been squeezed dry and become far, far too convoluted (even by MGS standards)

4 ruined the 1/2 arc, PW ruined the 3 arc and now GZ/5 is awkwardly trying to squeeze in between PW and the original games.

I like Kojima gameplay but man he needs to ditch the world and lore. It's got to the point where he's so focused on connecting the dots there's no interesting story there.

You can have a MGS game that isn't focused on any of the characters from the previous game. Easily.

Post MGS3 and pre Metal Gear games are unnecessary. It's narratively uninteresting. You can already see Big Boss' start of darkness in MGS3.

They've removed a lot of mystique about Big Boss and it doesn't help that the three games they've put out between those titles have really bad stories.

Agree completely, and maybe with David Hayter I would give it a try, now I don't care at all about MGS, and I always was a huge fan.

Play Ground Zeros, that will make you excited

This.

I had very little enthusiasm for MGSV or even MGS before playing Ground Zeroes. But ignore the price point and seriously play it, whichever way you can get your hands on it. MGSV is going to be brilliant in an open-world setting, and should have enormous replay-ability. Ground Zeroes shows how much fun the open world is, how focused the design is, and how much gameplay you can squeeze out of even one military base sized area. Even the story segments in GZ were straight up excellent. If they can keep this up over a 20 hour campaign, MGS V is going to be something special.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm in a similar boat.

MGS4 completely wrapped up that story, for me. I don't need any more Metal Gear.

I'm with you on this.

I know i'm a minority but I loved MGS4 played through it multiple times and felt that's where it ended. Also doesn't help I haven't the foggiest wth is going on in phantom pain/ground zeroes. I tried going back and playing peace walker but couldn't get into it

Alienous

My increasing disinterest is simply because the narrative has been squeezed dry and become far, far too convoluted (even by MGS standards)

4 ruined the 1/2 arc, PW ruined the 3 arc and now GZ/5 is awkwardly trying to squeeze in between PW and the original games.

I like Kojima gameplay but man he needs to ditch the world and lore. It's got to the point where he's so focused on connecting the dots there's no interesting story there.

You can have a MGS game that isn't focused on any of the characters from the previous game. Easily.

This is true. Completely unnecessarily he killed Solid Snake's arc. "Accelerated ageing, no one else can use the character, ending the series, lol no". "Big Boss, 9 year coma so nobody can fill those gaps in his story, ending the series, lol no".

He has no trust in his team to make an MGS game, so he has single-handedly truncated the lives of some of the series' best characters. The only opportunity he gave his team was to make a spin-off action game starting Raiden. No shit the game fell apart, they've never made an action game before. I firmly believe that his team, left to their own devices, would make some solid entries to the series whilst also respecting the characters and not going George Lucas "It's mine to fuck up" with it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I guess many of us feels like this. MGS4, as good as a game as it was in the first 3 chapters, the whole storyline and retckoning of the convoluted shit in MGS2 simply killed it for me.
Wonder if Kojima is actually regretting what he has done. Seeing that he keeps going back to Big Boss instead of continuing the series I suppose he does. What a shame. Can't believe what MGS has become. Now that even Mikami has disappointed I lost all my faith in Japanese game development. I seems to be unsalvageable,

Paz

My feelings were similar to yours OP, then I played Ground Zeroes and it was the most impressive 'next gen' experience by far.

Now I'm genuinely excited for MGSV, I think it could be the best MGS yet.

, but it seems like the reason is that, it feels unnecessary. It is set after MGS3 and Peace Walker but Before the rest of the series, so we know all that would happen next in the canon of the series, we all know how it started in MGS3 and how it'll end and how all of these issues will get resolved in the future. Big Boss isn't as interesting as Solid Snake and the MGS series weren't about him. It is obvious that the only reason that this game exists is that Konami wants to make money off the MGS name. Yeah I know every commercial game exists to make money, I am not delusional.

I think your the same as me, you dislike prequels because you know the story of what happens next.

it was the same as me with God Of War ascension, Gears of war judgement - i didn't dislike the games, but i felt they were weak because i knew the story of whats coming next so i don't have a connection with the world as i know the outcome.

Same for me with movies, i dislike most prequels for that reason

Upinsmoke

I feel similar, despite the open world nature and the fact it's still gonna be a brilliantly made game. I'm kinda done with Snake. He's one of my favourite characters ever but MGS4 ended it for me. Emotional. I don't wanna go back in time again and play the original snake, I did that in Snake Eater and that was enough for me.

For me the original snake is the clone, its the one I associate with, not Big Boss.

Mexen

OP, as a fellow MGS fan, I hope that some day, you'll give MGSV a chance. If not for coming around to it, then out of duty and salutation to Kojima. But most importantly, out of respect for and honour of you. You- a Metal Gear Solid fan.

*cue Harry Gregson's MGS2 opening theme*

JawzPause

I'm a huge mgs fan, mgs1 & 2 are two of the best games I've ever played, however i strangely feel the exact same way as op. I can't quite put my finger on why but mgs5 just hasn't really caught my attention yet.

This is true. Completely unnecessarily he killed Solid Snake's arc. "Accelerated ageing, no one else can use the character, ending the series, lol no". "Big Boss, 9 year coma so nobody can fill those gaps in his story, ending the series, lol no".

He has no trust in his team to make an MGS game, so he has single-handedly truncated the lives of some of the series' best characters. The only opportunity he gave his team was to make a spin-off action game starting Raiden. No shit the game fell apart, they've never made an action game before. I firmly believe that his team, left to their own devices, would make some solid entries to the series whilst also respecting the characters and not going George Lucas "It's mine to fuck up" with it.

Yup, exactly. No self control or respect for his own creation.

I had no investment in any of the story in GZ as a result. Same will surely be true for 5.

Jack cw

Wonder if Kojima is actually regretting what he has done. Seeing that he keeps going back to Big Boss instead of continuing the series I suppose he does. What a shame. Can't believe what MGS has become. Now that even Mikami has disappointed I lost all my faith in Japanese game development. I seems to be unsalvageable,

I think that Kojima never really knew when and how the end his story. I remember saying him, that MGS2 would be his last game and someone else should take over and repeated this basically with every new entry.

He made MGS3 because a sequel to MGS2 would have only make sense on better hardware, so he went with the prequel and whole Big Boss Saga. It turned out, that this timtravel idea was profitable and could delay finishing the trap he wrote for himself in MGS4. But then he made another decisions that weren't helpful. Completely destroying the storyline of Solid Snake by letting him age, the retckoning of the plotholes... Patriots and Nanomachines, etc. It would have been nice to really give Solid Snake an ending he deserves but instead we get this LOST-esque cheap reveal.

Now he is bound with what's left. His already told story of Big Boss and how he turned "evil". MGSV is going to be the best game so far, but the story is told and the only intersting lead character he had is dead because of a mix of bad decisions and his ego, not knowing when to let go and quit.

The only chance left for him is reboot the Saga with MGS6, because it will most likely feature the remake of the original Metal Gear, when Solid Snake met Big Boss for the first time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think that Kojima never really knew when and how the end his story. I remember saying him, that MGS2 would be his last game and someone else should take over and repeated this basically with every new entry.

He made MGS3 because a sequel to MGS2 would have only make sense on better hardware, so he went with the prequel and whole Big Boss Saga. It turned out, that this timtravel idea was profitable and could delay finishing the trap he wrote for himself in MGS4. But then he made another decisions that weren't helpful. Completely destroying the storyline of Solid Snake by letting him age, the retckoning of the plotholes... Patriots and Nanomachines, etc. It would have been nice to really give Solid Snake an ending he deserves but instead we get this LOST-esque cheap reveal.

Now he is bound with what's left. His already told story of Big Boss and how he turned "evil". MGSV is going to be the best game so far, but the story is told and the only intersting lead character he had is dead because of a mix of bad decisions and his ego, not knowing when to let go and quit.

The only chance left for him is reboot the Saga with MGS6, because it will most likely feature the remake of the original Metal Gear, when Solid Snake met Big Boss for the first time.
I more or less agree with you, however think that at this point the series is pretty much unsalvageable. I think he should simply finish MGSV, connect it to the original MG at the end and then move on. I don't think that rebooting the series would help with anything - especially if it is done by Kojima himself.

sephiroth7x

It might complete an interesting character.

It might also be that half way through the game he runs off to become a semi-successful juggler in a three man travelling circus. Then his clone goes on to spend three years developing a new style of hospital, before turning evil because somebody shot the dog.

That could also happen in the game.

The Kojima Mind is a mind capable of making this happen... yes... lets hope so!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Funny how different we can feel about the flow of this series. I've been playing this since it started on MSX - MGSS was one of the first games I played - and while MGS2 was a bit of a disappointment (story felt weak and bloated compared to the previous titles), MGS3 was a return to form for me. Still haven't finished MGS4 - storywise a clusterfuck and gameplay didn't feel as tight anymore. But here comes MGSV and I have high hopes that there's that Kojima magic again. Still cautious, but somewhat optimistic that Metal Gear once again is going to be a blast, keeping the great aspects of the series intact while introducing a massive playground and more freedom the series has ever seen. All while having the looks too. Unless they somehow manage to last-minute ham it up completely, which luckily seems unlikely at this point.

Batzi

Banned
For someone who loves Metal Gear to death, you should definitely try it out at least. You can't just cast it out and judge it without trying it out. You really love Metal Gear? Do it. I wasn't a big fan of Rising until I bought it and played till the end and you know what? I enjoyed it a lot! I had to buy it because of my love for the series and the respect I have for Kojima-san.

Mexen

I'm a huge mgs fan, mgs1 & 2 are two of the best games I've ever played, however i strangely feel the exact same way as op. I can't quite put my finger on why but mgs5 just hasn't really caught my attention yet.

You're a Solid Snake fan.

Now look, I like the series as you have read through my words, but it seems like the reason is that, it feels unnecessary. It is set after MGS3 and Peace Walker but Before the rest of the series, so we know all that would happen next in the canon of the series, we all know how it started in MGS3 and how it'll end and how all of these issues will get resolved in the future. Big Boss isn't as interesting as Solid Snake and the MGS series weren't about him. It is obvious that the only reason that this game exists is that Konami wants to make money off the MGS name.

You know, there's also exploration and realization of the play mechanics, ideas, interactivity, immersion, and technical marvel that Metal Gear has always been exemplifying and reaching for, to also be considered as motivation to keep on iterating... this is "tactical espionage action" sandbox to the nth degree.

Knowing where things are heading doesn't mean a story can't be told either. The end of a story isn't the whole story.

Ein Bear

Metal Gear is my favourite series in gaming and I'm insanely excited for MGS5, but I do have to say that the game being open-world does turn me off a bit.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that the best Metal Gear gameplay was MGS2, back when the stealth was faster-paced and arcadey. Gameplay wise, the VR missions in MGS2: Substance are still the high-point of the series to me.

Mman235

I felt like this when the open-world details first came out and I was expecting some standard collectable filled AAA open-world. However, since one of the main developers nailed the main issues with current open-worlds and talked about trying to avoid them I'm a lot more optimistic. The main thing I'm worried about is that the boss fights might be marginalised, but I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom