• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Dead Space...

choco-fish

Fantastic trilogy with the first at the top of my list, fantastic story, amazing atmosphere. Would love to see another entry.

not if you played it the right way

This is something I always wanted to do but never got round to it. Perhaps now would be a good time; I can't remember the levels properly so it would add even further challenge to the difficulty.

DS3 had an amazing mission where your co-op partner would see things you didn't.
Shit was absolutely fantastic.

He: "You also seeing these candles, dead bodies and blood everywhere?!"
Me: Nope. Not at all, you are trying to mess with me!
He: Don't BS me man, I'm on prescription drugs and my nerves are shaky atm so don't do this shit.

That does sound pretty bloody clever. I like it.

Kazuhira

You feel it too,don't you? i hope someday another game can fill the void this franchise left.
It's hard to find a good sci-fi/lovecraftian horror game nowadays,Alien Isolation eased that pain a litle but it's not the same..

inki

I had heard something about a movie? Anyone know anything about that? Was it killed? Live action I mean.

DS3 had an amazing mission where your co-op partner would see things you didn't.
Shit was absolutely fantastic.

He: "You also seeing these candles, dead bodies and blood everywhere?!"
Me: Nope. Not at all, you are trying to mess with me!
He: Don't BS me man, I'm on prescription drugs and my nerves are shaky atm so don't do this shit.
This sounds awesome but also sounds like you're playing with someone who should probably not play Dead Space games lol. If you showed him Eternal Darkness, dude would probably flip his lid.

DS1 was really fun and it ran like a dream on my crappy PC of that era.

DS2 was still solid.

I guess we could get a soft reboot of some kind? Idk if the story really has anywhere to go from DS3.
If they were to do a reboot I'd want them to ditch 2 as well. It was 2 that turned the Unitoligists into genocidal maniacs, and also completely threw out the ambiguity surrounding the markers' purpose and intent. The universe established in 1 was a lot more interesting,
where the necromorphs were created by human experiments on the marker, and the marker is using Isaac stop the hive mind by getting it back into the dead space field amplifier.

I too want a new Dead Space, but only if they make it like DS1 or 2.
I wouldn't even mind another Extraction. That one was SOOOO GOOOOOD!
Probably the best original Rail Shooter on the Wii.

That does sound pretty bloody clever. I like it.

It was pretty clever, yes, but it was also the only good thing about DS3.

purg3

slept with Malkin
One of my favorites, I miss it a lot too :(

What happened to Visceral anyway?

Didn't a bunch of the OG Visceral team form Sledgehammer who did COD Advanced Warefare.

Current Visceral is working on a Star Wars game

nkarafo

This series proves that it only takes one shitty game to kill a whole franchise. Same thing happened with Metroid.

J-Roderton

2 pretty much the same formula as 1? I got it in my backlog and have been thinking about popping it in soon. Loved the first one.

2 pretty much the same formula as 1? I got it in my backlog and have been thinking about popping it in soon. Loved the first one.

2 is ALIENS to Dead Space's ALIEN. Also, something Dead Space 2 doesn't get enough credit for, it has one of the best female characters in Video-games in Ellie (what Dead Space 3 did to her was truly an abomination/crime).

GlamFM

Banned
This series proves that it only takes one shitty game to kill a whole franchise. Same thing happened with Metroid.

Not really. Sales wise the series was done after DS1.

EA believed in it and tried to push it twice in two different directions, but it did not work.

No one is to blame, really.

SkylineRKR

DS3 wasn't bad imo. It was just very modern RE like, lots of action and there was co-op. But the co-op was for certain optional missions only.

Graphically amazing game though, and I enjoyed the shooting. The crafting wasn't pay to win at all, I never grinded much (just sent the bot out) but I made OP weapons (rocket launcher with safety guard, acid bath shotgun, sniper with AoE etc) and dominated the game.

1 and 2 were superior games. Would buy DS collection Remaster.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'd love another Dead Space, but I would imagine that Visceral will be making Star Wars games for the foreseeable future, so someone else would have to do it. I can't see EA putting time and resources into a single-player game that isn't Star Wars, EA getting that license could effectively be the death of Dead Space.

The crafting wasn't pay to win at all, I never grinded much (just sent the bot out) but I made OP weapons (rocket launcher with safety guard, acid bath shotgun, sniper with AoE etc) and dominated the game.

I loved the crafting system at first, making OP weapons in a series that was about conserving ammo was novel. The problem was that you could make such ridiculously OP weapons from such an early point, that they had to completely change the flow of the combat to accommodate these weapons. The Necro's are all sped up to a ridiculous speed, and pretty much just rush you in waves after you step over the invisible line in any room. The tight dismemberment/stasis/telekinesis mechanics were pointless in DS3, and the plasma cutter was beyond useless as a weapon when you could have a line gun/rocket launcher hybrid with an almost endless supply of ammo.

codecow

It is true that we lost a lot of the talent from the original Dead Space as they've moved on to other places. A few of us are still around though!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Adore Dead Space 1, like Dead Space 2 and 3 can fuck off into the bin. But I'd still love a new one or even a reboot. Preferably just a new horror game from Visceral would be great.

Garlador

It is true that we lost a lot of the talent from the original Dead Space as they've moved on to other places. A few of us are still around though!
Dead Space was easily one of the best new IPs of last gen.

If EA would ever gets around to the idea of remasters, I'd buy the trilogy all over again. (I say trilogy yet Extraction also rocked my socks off).

mephel

DS1 was perfect (I would actually prefer if there was a little less shooting)
DS2 was solid, if little bit too action heavy for a horror game
Haven't played 3

DS1 was perfect (I would actually prefer if there was a little less shooting)
DS2 was solid, if little bit too action heavy for a horror game
Haven't played 3

I wouldn't go so far as to say DS1 perfect (turret sections) but it was near as dammit and I agree that DS2 started to lean a little too hard into shooter territory but was still a great game. DS3 had 1/3 of a good DS game but then weapon mods, the way they implemented co-op and the planet side sections happened. I can appreciate a company going the extra mile to make co-op unique but to be just plain locked out of a lot of the derelict hulks was pretty damned annoying for me as a solo player.

Here's hoping someone gives you another shot at it!

SkylineRKR

I'd love another Dead Space, but I would imagine that Visceral will be making Star Wars games for the foreseeable future, so someone else would have to do it. I can't see EA putting time and resources into a single-player game that isn't Star Wars, EA getting that license could effectively be the death of Dead Space.

I loved the crafting system at first, making OP weapons in a series that was about conserving ammo was novel. The problem was that you could make such ridiculously OP weapons from such an early point, that they had to completely change the flow of the combat to accommodate these weapons. The Necro's are all sped up to a ridiculous speed, and pretty much just rush you in waves after you step over the invisible line in any room. The tight dismemberment/stasis/telekinesis mechanics were pointless in DS3, and the plasma cutter was beyond useless as a weapon when you could have a line gun/rocket launcher hybrid with an almost endless supply of ammo.

Thats why I felt this was the hardest DS game at first, because the enemies were ramped up. But once you craft, its the easiest by far.

All you needed was crowd control, there was no time for tactically dismember and use their own limbs which granted is a huge step back from even DS2.

But it somehow got fun, blasting everything with OP weapons. I loved the game during the second half (except for the boring final stage, the game overstayed its welcome for a few hours probably).

GlamFM

Banned
You guys wanna hear my "conspiracy theory"?

Dead Space´s problem was Resident Evil 5.

I think the reason why it´s sitting juuuust below 90 on Meta and not at 95+ where it belongs is because reviewers left some "headroom" for for the most likely very similar game that was about to come out later that year.

I think a lot of survival horror fans were in the same boat.

"Why buy Dead Space now when the "king" is about to come back"

Turned out that RE5 was a turd and DS was the new king, but by the time everybody realized that the ship had sailed.

dead space 1 and 2 blew me a way....3 was just kind eh.

I felt like the original was so awesome. It came out around that same time as bioshock/mass effect, all those amazing firsts for that gen

Duxxy3

I still play them every year.

Actually I might just do that this weekend. I haven't played Dead Space 2 this year, yet. I was waiting for the BC version, but I guess I can settle for the PC version.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
But it somehow got fun, blasting everything with OP weapons. I loved the game during the second half (except for the boring final stage, the game overstayed its welcome for a few hours probably).

I can see why people would enjoy that, but it wasn't what I wanted or expected from Dead Space, I mean it was effectively a full-on third person shooter for the majority of the game. The biggest shame was that the environments it took place in would have been perfect for a survival horror game. The flotilla in particular was fucking incredible, especially the sections lit by the blinding light from Tau Volantis below.

I think the reason why it´s sitting juuuust below 90 on Meta and not at 95 where it belongs is because reviewers left some "headroom" for for the most likely very similar game that was about to come out later that year.

What is this madness? The original Dead Space deserves an MC score of at least 98.

Although you are absolutely right, I was never expecting Dead Space to come anywhere near RE5 back then.

dan2026

The best thing about Dead Space was not how you could kill the enemies but how the enemies could kill YOU.

So many crazy awesome death animations.

Mifec

I love 1 and 2 about the same. I prefer voiced Isaac in 2 and the more action oriented approach(mostly because the atmosphere is the same, necros still didn't scare me in 1 so it didn't ruin that by making you strong), loved the action setpieces and the shooting was solid and felt satisfying. Extraction was surprisingly well done, played it when it first came out on the Wii. Sad that the DLC for 2 which was a continuation never came to PC.

3 was eh, it was just a mindless shooter with horrible chars, all the ammo was the same, people who played alone missed the coop parts which was mindbogglingly dumb. The microtransactions didn't even matter because you always had enough mats. Some of the space parts were ok and that one side mission where you have to escape from two regenerating necromorphs was pretty fun but that's about it.

dcx4610

I'm one of the few that thought DS2 was the worst. It was too predictable and non-stop action.

What made DS1 so great was the atmosphere and tension. DS2 just threw a bunch of monsters at you and made it an action game. The graphics and game was still great but I preferred the suspense style better.

DS3 was a good mix of DS1 and 2. The story wasn't great and they dumbed down the ammo and upgrade system but it was still a very enjoyable game. I also liked how they took chances and tried something different with it. Based on that, I liked it more than DS2.

What's funny is the DS series mimmicks the Alien movie series perfect. Alien = Suspense, Aliens = Action, Alien 3 = Suspense/Action

daveo42

Banned
I'm playing through DS3 for the first time right now and it makes me want to go back to DS1-2, just for the horror and isolation aspects those games had along with the straight up trippy shit that would happen. DS3 though has been one hell of a shitshow and I'm only a few chapters in. I think it comes from the need to flesh out the DS universe even more.
Jumping around the fleet wreckage in orbit has been fine, but I'm not even getting any horror vibes this go around. It's sad.

Let's hope for a reboot to wipe the slate clean.

I really miss DS1 and to a lesser extent DS2, I didn't even bother playing DS3 due to how bad it looked like it was going to be.

I would love to see current gen Dead Space. 1 and 2 are some of the best games from last gen. I didn't hate 3 but it was not quite as great. Still, it wasn't so bad to deserve to sideline the entire series.

Dead Space will always hold a special place I loved Event Horizon and Sunshine. My roommate lent me his copy during one of the snowy New England weekends. I got up early Saturday to play it took a few breaks to eat etc. but besides that I finished it Sunday afternoon. In my room in the dark with 5.1 headphones on it was an amazing experience.

I really hope some part of the series remains and they are able to do a reboot or revisit the series in some form.

choco-fish

I'm one of the few that thought DS2 was the worst. It was too predictable and non-stop action.

What made DS1 so great was the atmosphere and tension. DS2 just threw a bunch of monsters at you and made it an action game. The graphics and game was still great but I preferred the suspense style better.

DS3 was a good mix of DS1 and 2. The story wasn't great and they dumbed down the ammo and upgrade system but it was still a very enjoyable game. I also liked how they took chances and tried something different with it. Based on that, I liked it more than DS2.

What's funny is the DS series mimmicks the Alien movie series perfect. Alien = Suspense, Aliens = Action, Alien 3 = Suspense/Action

No, I totally agree with you, the suspense was far greater in the original than in 2, the slower pace really added to the atmosphere, DS2 felt more like a gears game to me, I still loved the world building and the mythology of the Markers etc but DS1 is in a class of its own.

DS3 gets points for the space graveyard sections, really loved that part of the game.

Jyrii

Banned
I loved Dead Space. It was scary, and the ship felt like an actual place. DS2 was less scary, and the space station wasn't as great environment, but the action was good.

DS3 I absolutely hated. It wasn't scary at all and everything was already done better in the previous games. I also didn't like the weapon crafting system as I felt every weapon was less good than their DS1/DS2 counterpart.

I didn't play co-op though, so maybe that would have made the game a bit better.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Finished the first one twice. Neither of the sequels did anything for me. Haven't played more than a handful of hours. It's a fun, forgotten gem of the last generation. Still plays great. So much better designed than the usual slog of 3rd person shooters.

naeS

3 got too much hate which ultimately probably killed the franchise.

1. Was an outstanding survival horror game.

2. Was an amazing action horror game.

3. Was an immensely satisfying co-op horror shooter.

The key to enjoying 3 was really playing through the entirety of it with a friend.

DEAD SPACE <3 <3 <3

Well said.

Top Bottom