• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Dead Space...

I just did a replay of the original. Beat the final boss about an hour ago. Sadly, the game for whatever reason doesn't feel as fun as it did when I first played it. Without the jump scares working anymore (you remember most of them) the game loses a lot of its original horror and tension.

Toa TAK

Banned
Dead Space isn't just one of my favorite horrors games but just one of my favorite games. 1 was gold and 2 was still really good as well.

I miss these games, too, OP. Glad I can still go back and run with it on BC

Krammy

Dead Space 3 still makes me never want a new Dead Space, it was also the start of my EA boycott.

Up to release I was unsure about it, since it looked less horror-centered. A week before release, I started falling for some people on GAF hyping it up, and I thought the co-op would be nice since a good friend also LOVED the series. In the end, I bought a copy for both myself and my friend, but when we went to play it, realized you needed an EA account, which was absolutely not going to fly for me. I was furious. It's definitely my fault for not doing my research on that, as I'm sure it had probably been done already with a game or two from them, but I'll never forget feeling like I wasted almost $140. I don't think either my friend nor I finished the game solo.

Dead Space 1, Dead Space 2, and Dead Space Extraction were all amazing and I platinum'd the 2 mainline games.

Kazuhira

I would buy a Dead Space PS4 collection in a heartbeat.
Also, DS3 gets too much shit.

Yeah,it was a 8/10 in my book.
Definitely more dudebro even with optional coop but i had a lot of fun,i've enjoyed the dlc a lot more because it brought back dementia.
They really nailed the paranormal stuff,as if resident evil and silent hill had a baby.

Whompa02

Amazing IP. I wish they could just fucking stop making Issac the main character. Give him a break and start a new journey.

GlamFM

Banned
Dead Space 3 still makes me never want a new Dead Space, it was also the start of my EA boycott.

Up to release I was unsure about it, since it looked less horror-centered. A week before release, I started falling for some people on GAF hyping it up, and I thought the co-op would be nice since a good friend also LOVED the series. In the end, I bought a copy for both myself and my friend, but when we went to play it, realized you needed an EA account, which was absolutely not going to fly for me. I was furious. It's definitely my fault for not doing my research on that, as I'm sure it had probably been done already with a game or two from them, but I'll never forget feeling like I wasted almost $140. I don't think either my friend nor I finished the game solo.

Dead Space 1, Dead Space 2, and Dead Space Extraction were all amazing and I platinum'd the 2 mainline games.

You could have just created an EA account.... for free.... I mean... WTF?

Just fired up DS1 last night to check out xbone back compat and it holds up extremely well all around, and still looks fantastic as well. I think it's available on the ea access vault.

Adam Blue

I love this series, including Dead Space 3. I had no problems with it. In fact it's probably my favorite. Level structure with optional areas reminds me of Souls.

Krammy

You could have just created an EA account.... for free.... I mean... WTF?

And trust EA with my information? No thanks.

EDIT: To clarify, I did attempt this with a dummy email, but it asked for some legitimate information that I didn't feel comfortable giving to EA, so that was the end of that.

Fodder76

I also miss Dead Space. One of the few existing IP that I long for a sequel.

Say what you will about EA, but one thing they don't do (outside of their sports games) is crank out their games on a yearly schedule like clock work, and wear out the welcome of their IP.

I never felt burnt out on Dead Space, and the longer gap since three has me wanting it even more.

Kazuhira

I just did a replay of the original. Beat the final boss about an hour ago. Sadly, the game for whatever reason doesn't feel as fun as it did when I first played it. Without the jump scares working anymore (you remember most of them) the game loses a lot of its original horror and tension.

That happens with every horror game imo.

GlamFM

Banned
And trust EA with my information? No thanks.

Gotcha´

Joaquin-Phoenix-source_IGN.com_.jpg

Trojan

What do you do with it tho? Do you make a sequel or do you reboot it? I doubt they'll even remaster it.

Should Visceral make a new Dead Space? Who else could make it good again?

Reboot it, retcon the story. After the third game featured a
moon boss made entirely of necromorphs
, they've just got to throw in the towel and start over.

Darkspiret

Neo Member
DS2 was the RE4 of last gen for me. It lacked some of the atmosphere of the first, but improved on so much and polished the hell out of everything. Barring the last few chapters its pacing was perfect. You were always seeing or doing something interesting and they didnt over use certain enemies making their appearance far more intense. I thought it had a good continuation of the story and Issac was given better characterization than i was expecting. Ellie was also great (and its a goddamn travesty what 3 did to her) and it had a perfect ending. It also has by far the most memorable moments in the series and while it might go against the first games' feel theres so many sequences in 2 that make you feel like a badass or go "Fuck Yeah".

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Dead Space is dead. EA killed it.

I hope they reboot the series one day.

Reboot it, retcon the story. After the third game featured a
moon boss made entirely of necromorphs
, they've just got to throw in the towel and start over.

I don't see them making another one while they have the Star Wars license.

GavinUK86

LOVED Dead Space 1 and 2 and I actually really enjoyed 3. I preferred The Thing inspired setting on the snowy planet. I just think the focus on less shock horror and more co-op killed the franchise. I'm not sure how they would kickstart it again. The one thing I would NOT do is a full reboot. They need to keep everything canon and Isaac and everyone part of that world. Maybe set it on a different planet after the end of 3 but not focus too much on connecting everything to Isaac and the markers. It's definitely a tricky one.

Z3M0G

1 was a masterpiece.

2 was a great roller-coaster ride.

3 I never played. Got turned off by the direction they took it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just as good as the other games however...

Dead Space was classic, a great horror game. DS2 was great as well but felt more like an action movie. DS3 i have tried to erase from my memory.

imagine a Dead Space on current gen consoles, it would look amazing.

noomi

*Destiny brofist emote*

:D

Survival Horror + Space Setting = Happy noomi

DOOM is scratching that itch right now, while not survival horror in any sense I'm really enjoying the environment and atmosphere.

Prior to that Alien Isolation was really the only game that ever came close to that Dead Space feel for me

Dead Space 1 & 2 are probably my faves from last gen.

I played through good chunk of 3 at the weekend and enjoyed it a bit more than when I originally played it. Still not a huge fan though.

Would love to see Dead Space 4 on current gen but I understand it's very unlikely.

nillah

Banned
Dead Space felt like Mass Effect in a horror filter. Play the Evil Within if you haven't already (3rd person shooter horror game, tense environment and momentum moving forward).

Wonder if they'll ever release a Dead Space Collection :0

RedSwirl

The console market needs more "shit has gone wrong on a space ship" games.

Maybe System Shock Remastered will scratch that itch a bit? It's a bit related to Dead Space.

Carlius

Banned
DEAD SPACE 1 was the true survival horror and an amazing game with great sound design. 2 was decent but not as good, too much actoin and 3, well 3, was just terrible.

Strider311

While Dead Space 3 wasn't without its problems, the series as a whole is really phenomenal to me. Space horror is one of my most favorite types of fiction, and Dead Space scratched that Alien/Aliens itch I had before we had Isolation. Really outstanding games that I always revisit an entry in the series at least once a year. I always keep my fingers crossed that a new one is being made in some dark corner of EA, perhaps with Frostbite or something.

Loved DS1 and DS2. Extraction plays fairly awful in my experience with a PS3 controller, so I'll have to give it another shot if I pick up Move or get the original. Despite the struggles, the presentation was top notch.

Dead Space 3 was a middling game in comparison.

Loved:

• Floating in space from derelict to derelict
  • The construction system. It gave the engineering aspect of Isaac a purpose in gameplay, rather than just the errand boy structure.
  • The new character
  • Necros erupting out of the snow

Hated:
  • The story, which while is being downplayed by some here had a rather significant effect on my enjoyment of the game. The motivations, behavior, reactions...not much of it lined up. The Church of Unitology was rather disappointing in their portrayal. The Necro moons were...the concept isn't bad, but the execution just didn't seem right.
  • The complete reversal of tools vs military arms. Throughout the series, cutting tools were far more effective against Necromorphs than firearms. The opposite holds true suddenly in DS3, with no reason provided.
  • Encounter design fell short, relying more on either throwing hordes of enemies at the player or spawning them right behind/on the player (often while throwing waves)
  • Speaking of encounters and back to the Church, the Unitologist forces were terrible to fight against. Boring compared to the Necros in behavior (often just sort of standing there) and poor options in avoiding their gunfire.

Now, I did not do co-op (no friends owned it) nor played the Awakened ending DLC. Whether that would have bolstered my enjoyment, I can't say. Those factors however wouldn't change the above I suspect.

One thing that I was rather indifferent on, and struggle understanding the outrage at, was the microtransactions. Nowhere in the game does it feel like it's short changing the player in the gathering of materials. Materials are plentiful, and the collection bots work really well. The two things that were problematic, yet hardly mentioned, were the loss of in-game earned/gathered materials if not connected to EA servers upon exiting the game (which connection dropped rather often) and the game constantly nagging in the menus/benches to buy in.

Overall, I'd love to see the series return in a big way. How? Well, I'm sure someone will get paid for that.

Malio

Dead Space was a fantastic series. I loved them all. Including 3 and Extraction. Such a great sci-fi story and I loved the gameplay of them all. I hope it comes back. :(

RowdyReverb

They screwed up by trying to go bigger with the plot of each subsequent game. They should have kept it small and personal, a man alone trying to survive on a spooky ghost ship. Not saving the whole galaxy from a supernatural threat and you're the chosen one. This isn't Mass Effect, it's Dead Space

nkarafo

Not really. Sales wise the series was done after DS1.

EA believed in it and tried to push it twice in two different directions, but it did not work.

No one is to blame, really.
I thought DS1 was a success? I remember it making a pretty big impact.

I would love a DS4 running on frostbite..I actually enjoyed all 3 games very much, 3 is the weakest but still awesome with a friend. Id kill for a remaster 1080/60fps for ps4 for sure. I really miss the action horror of DS2.

Dead Space 1 is Alien. Dead Space 2 is Aliens. Dead Space 3 is Alien 3. I still enjoyed the hell out of the co-op with Dead Space 3. The games across the board had really enjoyable gameplay. Dead Space 2 is still in my top 5 of all time.

I love Dead Space 2.

I cannot comprehend how Dead Space 2 isn't in more people's Top 10 lists.

I can credit three games for completely changing why I played games, where I played them, and the kinds of games I played: Portal, BioShock, and Dead Space 2.

Boy would I kill for a remaster of that. I would say sequel, but I hated Dead Space 3 and now I don't even want more Dead Space. I just want the best Dead Space over again.

Well said. I'd go with this. Was just thinking the other day how much I wanted a remastered Dead Space 2.

gypsygib

I loved Dead Space 1 and 2. Could bring myself to finish 3. I felt the game was pretty bad. Didn't really like the genre switch, the game lost its identity as a horror game.

I love Dead Space 2.

I cannot comprehend how Dead Space 2 isn't in more people's Top 10 lists.

I can credit three games for completely changing why I played games, where I played them, and the kinds of games I played: Portal, BioShock, and Dead Space 2.

Boy would I kill for a remaster of that. I would say sequel, but I hated Dead Space 3 and now I don't even want more Dead Space. I just want the best Dead Space over again.

Mechanically Dead Space 2 was a huge improvement over 1 and even though the action was a tad too bombastic for my taste, I still prefer it gameplay wise.

However, with Dead Space 2 the lore took the direction of "bigger is better" and the story itself was a complete letdown for me. In combination with the less horror focused gameplay direction that made for a 'blockbuster' type of game I just can't care that much for.

I just really liked the scope of the lore and fairly low-key story of Dead Space 1. Every bit of background information you found throughout the game got me more interested. With Dead Space 2 the opposite happened for me.

And Dead Space 3 just exacerbates all that. Scale gets even bigger and the story much, much worse. That love triangle was an actually thing...smh.

wojtasz

Banned
I dont know how well BF Hardline has performed but i came to terms with possibility of not seeing another Dead Space game from Visceral ever again. EA is going to destroy this studio forcing them to create full priced mods of AAA games :( Besides after Dead Space 3 I don't think I would like another installment.The direction the had taken with paid scavenging bots and microtransactions.

Maybe with VR on the horizon there might be a market for another DS game.

Loved the series as well!!! Loved the first two but the third really did scream "horror" to me, it was somewhat "RE 5" filled with monsters and whatnot but no scare factor, and the human shootouts were lame. Still enjoyed the third(the weapon customization was fun!)

If we ever do get another game they should go back to what made DS1 so good

GlamFM

Banned
I dont know how well BF Hardline has performed but i came to terms with possibility of not seeing another Dead Space game from Visceral ever again. EA is going to destroy this studio forcing them to create full priced mods of AAA games :( Besides after Dead Space 3 I don't think I would like another installment.The direction the had taken with paid scavenging bots and microtransactions.

Maybe with VR on the horizon there might be a market for another DS game.

How does VR correlate with the Nintendo DS?

I think it´s safe to assume that Hardline outsold Dead Space by a large margin.

Pejo

Dead Space 1 was the sci-fi version of what I wanted Resident Evil to become. I loved the gameplay, atmosphere, and tension. It's probably one of my favorite new IPs from last gen, hands down.

2 was still enjoyable for me, but they definitely went more action oriented. I still played it through completion though, I think i'm only a few achievements short of getting them all on either PS3 or PC.

3 I flat out didn't enjoy, but I didn't have anyone to Co-Op with. I hear that's the only way to really enjoy that game.

Extraction was fantastic. I had a really good time with it.

I'd love a reboot of the series back to the roots of sci-fi horror. I don't feel like we really need a HD remaster, as the PC version at least still looks pretty good.

Gnilres

Threads like this make me want remasters as I missed out on a lot of last gens IPs.

Dead Space and Mass Effect are the two series that I really want to experience.

Top Bottom