• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Well, it has been 6 months+ since the floods and I had assumed that the factories would have been back up and running. Any news on when the manufacturing plants go back to full production?

Looks like a friend is looking to sell his HDD, I might just buy that. $40 for WD Caviar Green 1TB.

Last I read production should be surpassing pre-flood levels around August of this year, but who know what they're going to do with prices though.

Sethos

Banned
So, was just over at the post office lockers collecting my latest batch of purchases for my upcoming build.

itfzeE1BP4k3a.png

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Seasonic 1000w Platinum
4 x 4GB G.Skill 2133MHz

iUcnxHYByAZnS.png

iG2zONu2ymVD3.png

Here's what I have so far, just need my case ... SSD ... HDDs ... CPU - So close, yet so far :(

igRI27Jzy3Cp2.png

Can't wait to put those 4GB 680 puppies to work.

scogoth

So, was just over at the post office lockers collecting my latest batch of purchases for my upcoming build.

itfzeE1BP4k3a.png

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Seasonic 1000w Platinum
4 x 4GB G.Skill 2133MHz

iUcnxHYByAZnS.png

iG2zONu2ymVD3.png

Here's what I have so far, just need my case ... SSD ... HDDs ... CPU - So close, yet so far :(

igRI27Jzy3Cp2.png

Ugh air. All I see is noise. Drop another grand and water cool that stuff. Or better yet submerge it in mineral oil.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anybody seen any reviews for the new Corsair Vengeance C70 mid-tower? Or have any thoughts/opinions?

Looks really good, IMO.

I've wanted to go with a sleek case and a full-tower for sometime now. But I know I'm gonna be loading my computer in my car and bringing it to new locations, friends' houses, and LANs quite a bit. Thing is, most LAN towers are too small or too gaudy, or don't actually look like they can take a beating. But this C70 seems to skirt a very fine line that most cases don't - pretty classy while still being built well for travel.

Looks like there's plenty of room for a big air cooler on the CPU, two full-size GPUs, and plenty of fans to keep things cool. All for $139. Seems pretty legit.

mkenyon

Banned
PCI-E 1.0(or maybe 1.1 if that matters). So either a GTX 670 or a Radeon 7950 might be the best option?
Might bottleneck you quite a bit. I haven't seen benches to tell you how much, but I know x8 PCI-E 2.0 already bottlenecks these cards.
Anybody seen any reviews for the new Corsair Vengeance C70 mid-tower? Or have any thoughts/opinions?
From what I can tell, it's the same thing as the 300R with a different exterior. Looks are subjective, but I'm not a fan of it in that regard.

It does look to be a good LAN case and will be more than adequate. There's always the CM Storm Scout, or a host of Lian Li mATX cases that are in the same price range. You can just drill in your own handle on those, thanks to the aluminum.

For a LAN rig, I still think Fractal Arc Mini is the way to go for 90% of users though. Just small enough to be portable, but just full featured enough to do just about anything you ask of it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Might bottleneck you quite a bit. I haven't seen benches to tell you how much, but I know x8 PCI-E 2.0 already bottlenecks these cards.

From what I can tell, it's the same thing as the 300R with a different exterior. Looks are subjective, but I'm not a fan of it in that regard.

It does look to be a good LAN case and will be more than adequate. There's always the CM Storm Scout, or a host of Lian Li mATX cases that are in the same price range. You can just drill in your own handle on those, thanks to the aluminum.

For a LAN rig, I still think Fractal Arc Mini is the way to go for 90% of users though. Just small enough to be portable, but just full featured enough to do just about anything you ask of it.

Ah, thanks! I didn't even put it together that this is just a 300R. I got my new issue of Maximum PC in the mail today, and saw an ad for this on the first page. It just grabbed my attention.

I do like the Arc Mini, but it's just a tad too small for me. The inside is just a bit too small that it makes me worry, and I struggle getting around with my big hands. That, and two 5.25 bays just makes me nervous. Right now I have three in use - BRD, media reader, fan controller. I'll always use the first two, but the Arc Mini has a fan controller built in. Thing is, I'm always worried "what if" I need an extra 5.25 bay.

Anyway, I have at least a few months before I'm gonna buy, anyway. So I'm just chewing on my options. I'm still not exactly sure which direction I want to go with my next build.

Thanks for the input :)

Chris R

Anyone have a good site to look at for upcoming case news? CeBIT and PaxEast weren't too long ago, wonder if any news came out of either event.

I'd probably settle for a Fractal Design Define Mini at this point, but Amazon doesn't carry them :| Sorry NewEgg, I'm not paying $60 for shipping when I can get it for free.

Anyone have a good site to look at for upcoming case news? CeBIT and PaxEast weren't too long ago, wonder if any news came out of either event.

I'd probably settle for a Fractal Design Define Mini at this point, but Amazon doesn't carry them :| Sorry NewEgg, I'm not paying $60 for shipping when I can get it for free.

I bought the Corsair 550D and it's amazing.

mkenyon

Banned

Forums are the best place, actually. Overclock.net is where I get most of my news from. Overclock3d.net grabs the "hot" cases and does 30-60 minute video reviews of them.

Also, its $10 shipping, hyperbole is clearly prohibited as outlined in the OP. It's in there somewhere. Probably.

*edit*

If it's SFF you want, check out the new ASUS Z77 itx board in conjunction with the Bitfenix Prodigy. Stupid awesome case and motherboard.

Chris R

I bought the Corsair 550D and it's amazing.

I actually had one on order from Amazon before I chickened out and canceled my order... How are your noise levels and temperatures looking? Got any nice pictures?

Forums are the best place, actually. Overclock.net is where I get most of my news from. Overclock3d.net grabs the "hot" cases and does 30-60 minute video reviews of them.

Also, its $10 shipping, hyperbole is clearly prohibited as outlined in the OP. It's in there somewhere. Probably.

*edit*

If it's SFF you want, check out the new ASUS Z77 itx board in conjunction with the Bitfenix Prodigy. Stupid awesome case and motherboard.

Newegg list the shipping to my Zip Code @ $53.08. No hyperbole (well ok, just a little as $53 isn't quite $60) And itx looks nice, but I need a case that can at least handle mATX since that is what I'm using at the moment. Thanks for the forum tip though, I'll have to head over there and check it out.

knitoe

Gimp setup for Crysis 3 with only 8GB of ram. I feel bad for you...

Edit: NM. Read wrong. Thought, I saw 2X4 instead of 4X4 GB. Now, I feel sad for me.

mkenyon

Banned
I actually had one on order from Amazon before I chickened out and canceled my order... How are your noise levels and temperatures looking? Got any nice pictures?

Newegg list the shipping to my Zip Code @ $53.08. No hyperbole (well ok, just a little as $53 isn't quite $60) And itx looks nice, but I need a case that can at least handle mATX since that is what I'm using at the moment. Thanks for the forum tip though, I'll have to head over there and check it out.
It's flat $10 shipping. Dont go by the estimate guy.

Also, here's the OC3D review of the 550D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1RXdeLU5o

I love TTL, and the guy does seem to speak his mind. But, he really liked the 300R which I thought was a pile of crap compared to similarly priced cases. He did also just get a sponsorship from Corsair, and I'll let you come to your own decision on that.

1-D_FTW

If you're US, there's always the budget option. Budget for me (opposite side of country) is 3 Day UPS Guaranteed for 9.99. The other options are 51.xx, 56.xx, and 57.xx.

Chris R

If you're US, there's always the budget option. Budget for me (opposite side of country) is 3 Day UPS Guaranteed for 9.99. The other options are 51.xx, 56.xx, and 57.xx.

I live in Alaska. Try putting 99515 for your Zip code and see what comes up :p

Going to check out that video later tonight though, not like ordering a case is a huge priority since I want a new GPU to go with it too and nVidia is taking it's time on releasing the 670.

1-D_FTW

I live in Alaska. Try putting 99515 for your Zip code and see what comes up :p

Going to check out that video later tonight though, not like ordering a case is a huge priority since I want a new GPU to go with it too and nVidia is taking it's time on releasing the 670.

Crazy. I guess the restrictions do say limited to Continental US.

Still gaps to fill in but I guess here is what I am thinking so far:

CPU: i5 3750k ($220)
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V($200) or ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ($170)
Ram: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) or equivalent ($48)
GPU: Maybe a 7950 or GTX 670? Need to do more research here. ($350-400?)
Storage
: 1tb+ drive So comments on the samsung f4 ecogreen are saying they got the HDD division swapped to Seagate, should I be looking at WD now? ($120)
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 ($65)
Case: ($65-120)
Optical Drive: LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive ($65)
Heatsink/sound card: Do I need a sound card or non stock Heat sink? 212+ Evo? ($35?)
SSD: Unsure
Keyboard: No Ideas yet ($50-100?)
Monitor: People are saying 120 Hz ones ($350-400)
High End estimate including the heatsink but not SSD: ~1900.

Please let me know what y'all think about the suggestions so far and maybe some more advice on the bolded components as well as any other cost savings tips you might have (shop around, bundles, etc)

Is this too high end for doing what I will mainly be doing, basic gaming and watching videos, are there parts I should go to lower tiers on (PSU, Mobo?)

Arken2121

CPU - 3930K
Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79
RAM - two kits of Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB
PSU - Corsair AX1200
SSD - Samsung 830 series 256GB
Mouse- Naga + SteelSeries Sensei Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard- Tenkeyless Linear Force Keyboard
Case- COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1
DVD burner-ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Video card-2x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature
HDD: 2xSAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Monitor- 2x Benq 20LTX
Mouse pad- XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL Mouse Pad
Total: Around $4400

mkenyon

Banned
CPU - 3930K
PSU - Corsair AX1200
Monitor- 2x Benq 20LTX
Don't think I could have designed a better one myself. Good taste!

Raide

They beat the 550Ti, definitely. As for the 670 cards dropping prices, it's not really gonna make a difference to be honest.

BTW, CCL have the MSI HD 6850 for £85 right now if you want to save a bit of money? Not many left though!

Quick Update. Checked this morning and they had 1 left, so I quickly ordered it. Should be here by Thursday. £90inc Next Day Deliver, Bargain!

Thanks LordAlu for the recommendation! Will run some benchmarks on my rig and post them.

Sethos

Banned
CPU - 3930K
PSU - Corsair AX1200
Monitor- 2x Benq 20LTX

Nice man, looks almost identical to mine! ( Well, the first draft of my build anyway )

On another note, looks like I'm ditching my Asus Xonar Essence STX to give my cards breathing room and getting a Prodigy Cube instead.

LordAlu

Quick Update. Checked this morning and they had 1 left, so I quickly ordered it. Should be here by Thursday. £90inc Next Day Deliver, Bargain!

Thanks LordAlu for the recommendation! Will run some benchmarks on my rig and post them.
For that price it's a damn good card. You had an 8800GT before right? Make sure you uninstall/clean up the nVidia drivers from your system before you install your 6850 - just in case :D

Jibbed

Hey guys, I'd like some educated opinions on my CPU and GPU temps if possible :)

i7-2600k + Corsair H50* cooler
Stock clocks 30 degrees idle, 45-55 gaming.
Overclocked at 4.5GHz, 35ish idle, 50-70 gaming.

GTX 560Ti 1GB
Stock clocks 35 degrees idle, 50-70 gaming.
Overclocked at 1000/2200, 40 idle, 60-75 gaming.

It's mostly the CPU that I'm concerned about.. is 60+ degrees 'normal' for this kind of setup? I only reach these temps on games like BF3 and GTA IV (oc'd), or when rendering HD videos.

I have a custom fan profile that runs at 100% over 45 degrees, so these temps are reached with maximum cooling too. (*If it's a cooling issue, then I'd be willing to upgrade to a better H-series.)

Thanks!

My system said:
i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz (gaming @ 4.5GHz)
Corsair H50 cooler
ASUS GTX 560Ti 1GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600
ASUS P8Z68 motherboard
Coolermaster 850W modular PSU
120GB Crucial M4 SSD
NZXT Tempest EVO II full tower case

Guys I have a 560TI that is about ready to crap out on me. I'm looking for an upgrade and not really wanting to spend more than $350 and something in 580 or 680 range far exceeds what I would need anyway.

Things someone would need to know before helping me with suggestions:

1.My mobo is only PCI E 2.0

2. I don't really like AMD with their hit and miss drivers. I know some have a lot of nice things to say about AMD, but I've ready about many nightmares as well.

3. Have a 2600K with 8GB RAM W7 Home

I'm just looking for a decent upgrade that will get me through until late this year or early next. Thanks!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, it has been 6 months+ since the floods and I had assumed that the factories would have been back up and running. Any news on when the manufacturing plants go back to full production?

Looks like a friend is looking to sell his HDD, I might just buy that. $40 for WD Caviar Green 1TB.

WD estimates that HDD prices won't return to typical levels until the first half of 2013. Seagate's comment on the matter two months earlier was a little more optimistic, however ("... the end of 2012, at least.")

LordAlu

Guys I have a 560TI that is about ready to crap out on me. I'm looking for an upgrade and not really wanting to spend more than $350 and something in 580 or 680 range far exceeds what I would need anyway.

Things someone would need to know before helping me with suggestions:

1.My mobo is only PCI E 2.0

2. I don't really like AMD with their hit and miss drivers. I know some have a lot of nice things to say about AMD, but I've ready about many nightmares as well.

3. Have a 2600K with 8GB RAM W7 Home

I'm just looking for a decent upgrade that will get me through until late this year or early next. Thanks!
A 570 like this maybe? -> EVGA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB

I've been looking at that for sometime lol

It's like you read my mind. I'm also gonna be upgrading my monitor setup soon. Do you think that card will run most of today's games at 1080p 60FPS at medium-high settings?

Raide

For that price it's a damn good card. You had an 8800GT before right? Make sure you uninstall/clean up the nVidia drivers from your system before you install your 6850 - just in case :D

Yeah, had an 8800gt for 3 or 4 years I think years. Great card but had some intermittent fault with the fan. Sometimes it would boot fine! Other times it would stay spinning the fan.

Will do a clean sweep today and make sure all is sweet for tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Alright, I'm about to get:

Intel Core i5 2500K 4x 3.30GHz So.1155 BOX
Asus Maximus V Gene Intel Z77 So.1155 Dual Channel DDR3 mATX Retail
8GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit

But I'm not sure about the RAM thopugh. Any opinions? Do I really want to get a 2x 4 GB kit at this point?

Karmum

Banned
Hm, that ASUS GTX 460 is no longer on my orders page and it's supposed to come today, as of last night around like 8 PM EST it was still listed as "Not Yet Shipped." They still have no problem taking my money though. >_>

Nooooooooo! :(

I knew it being sold for $115 instead of like $139.99 was too good to be true. Goddamnit.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey boys, cooking together a midrange pc for my mate for roughly 900 euros. Just thought I'd check here and see that all the parts are compatible as I have been out of the mobo loop since p67.

ram: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1333Mhz XMS3
psu: Corsair TX 650W V2 80+ Bronze
cpu: Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz
case: BitFenix Shinobi Svart
hdd: 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ
mobo: MSI Z77A-G43
cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Windforce Rev 2.0

He has mouse, kb, monitor and os. Anything missing?

abasm

I'm thinking of going to QuakeCon this year, and though I've been before, I've never brought a computer. How exactly does one transport an ATX case and LCD monitor easily without damaging them in transport?

Sethos

Banned
Hey boys, cooking together a midrange pc for my mate for roughly 900 euros. Just thought I'd check here and see that all the parts "work together" as I have been out of the mobo loop since p67.

ram: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1333Mhz XMS3
psu: Corsair TX 650W V2 80+ Bronze
cpu: Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz
hdd: 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ
mobo: MSI Z77A-G43
cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Windforce Rev 2.0

He has mouse, kb, monitor and os. Anything missing?

Looks good to me.

iwN8QHe4QJ4Ma.jpg

:p

What an anti climatic release. My fault for expecting too much but i was dreaming on 5 GHZ just with air for Ivy. Turns out the guys with the Sandys were rocking the superior clocking processor all this time. So congratulations to all the Sandy early adopters :)

Sethos

Banned
What an anti climatic release. My fault for expecting too much but i was dreaming on 5 GHZ just with air for Ivy. Turns out the guys with the Sandys were rocking the superior clocking processor all this time. So congratulations to all the Sandy early adopters :)

Release is indeed anti climatic but give them some time to refine the 22nm, work out any kinks and I'm sure it'll fly. Probably won't get really impressive until IB-E though.

abasm

Release is indeed anti climatic but give them some time to refine the 22nm, work out any kinks and I'm sure it'll fly. Probably won't get really impressive until IB-E though.

With Haswell, it sounds like Intel is focusing on beefing up the iGPU to take a dig at ARM's market. Is there any reason to expect leaps and bounds in the desktop computing space?

Sethos

Banned
With Haswell, it sounds like Intel is focusing on beefing up the iGPU to take a dig at ARM's market. Is there any reason to expect leaps and bounds in the desktop computing space?

It's not about expecting leaps and bounds, it's about expecting a more refined processor that runs cooler and faster per default, meaning bigger overclocks that run faster. However, all we got so far is technical advancements and a processor that runs much hotter at similar overclocks, whilst maintaining a miniscule performance lead. Partly due to chip density but some also claim other reasons might be in play. So it's not about a different focus, it's about hitting a technological wall apparently - Intel just need time to iron out the kinks, refine the development process.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, but I saw an article that talked about how it was going to be a major increase in the IGP performance and the chip itself wouldn't use more wattage than an ARM chip when idle.

Those are significant achievements. And from a business POV, the only way to successfully roadmap the future. The desktop is a dying breed and to focus on that is to make yourself irrelevant. But I fail to see how these netbook/notebook priorities are going to translate into much of a desktop leap. I expect Haswell to be an incredible chip, just not much of an advancement as a desktop chip. The priorities of the two markets are too different.

Mr. Hyde

My OC'd Q6600/Geforce 8800 GTS G92 is beginning to show its age in games. Diablo 3 at medium and Witcher 2 both run a bit slow and not so pretty, so I think it's time for a new PC. Also, I need to get in on trying my WII games on Dolphin

I've compiled this together. Anything I should change to make it a better value?

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
$18.99

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower
$59.99

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
$79.99

MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi)
$299.99

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91
$129.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$46.99

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
$121.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
$219.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
$99.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
$29.99

Subtotal: $1,107.90

sk3

Banned
IB is intel's first run at 3D transistors. I'm going to be optimistic and say they will work out a lot of the kinks in IB's implementation with Haswell. IB-E's larger die size would help with heat dissipation, but maybe the increase in # of cores will offset that potential advantage?

I'm still getting IB though.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, but I saw an article that talked about how it was going to be a major increase in the IGP performance and the chip itself wouldn't use more wattage than an ARM chip when idle.

Those are significant achievements. And from a business POV, the only way to successfully roadmap the future. The desktop is a dying breed and to focus on that is to make yourself irrelevant. But I fail to see how these netbook/notebook priorities are going to translate into much of a desktop leap. I expect Haswell to be an incredible chip, just not much of an advancement as a desktop chip. The priorities of the two markets are too different.

Desktop is never truly a focus, we just get to enjoy the advancements in mobile technology as always. It's all about shrinking, less heat, less power used and more performance - We all benefit from that. Only difference now is, with 22nm we've hit a wall when it comes to desktop environments with the current chip density, plus the upgraded iGPU. That doesn't mean everything suddenly stops, because their focus will always be the same as that's what makes them money - When Desktop market stops seeing significant benefits, that'll also slowly translate to the mobile market. So it's in their interest to still further refine the process to keep the performance / power / heat ratio on track. Intel has tried something new this time and I'll bet you any money right now they just need to learn the process, refine it and get better. Next batch of chips we'll already see positive improvements.

1-D_FTW

Desktop is never truly a focus, we just get to enjoy the advancements in mobile technology as always. It's all about shrinking, less heat, less power used and more performance - We all benefit from that. Only difference now is, with 22nm we've hit a wall when it comes to desktop environments with the current chip density, plus the upgraded iGPU. That doesn't mean everything suddenly stops, because their focus will always be the same as that's what makes them money - When Desktop market stops seeing significant benefits, that'll also slowly translate to the mobile market. So it's in their interest to still further refine the process to keep the performance / power / heat ratio on track.

Yeah, but if you look at the Ivy Bridge die, all the increased space from the die shrink went to the IGP. I don't really see why that's going to change. They'll keep the same baseline for the CPU and transfer the gains to boosting the GPU specs. That's all I'm saying. I don't really expect any significant boosts in CPU performance because only the desktop benefits from that raw power. It seemed like a happy coincidence that Core2 (mobile tech) was such a boon to the desktop chip. But I do think in a post PC world, that Intel does have to make some decisions that distinctly favor mobile at the expense or real breakthroughs in the desktop.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
But I do think in a post PC world, that Intel does have to make some decisions that distinctly favor mobile at the expense or real breakthroughs in the desktop.
Yuuuuuup. Just gotta hope next gen OC's like a beast. It's all mobile space and all lower power and lower voltages.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, but if you look at the Ivy Bridge die, all the increased space from the die shrink went to the IGP. I don't really see why that's going to change. They'll keep the same baseline for the CPU and transfer the gains to boosting the GPU specs. That's all I'm saying. I don't really expect any significant boosts in CPU performance because only the desktop benefits from that raw power. It seemed like a happy coincidence that Core2 (mobile tech) was such a boon to the desktop chip. But I do think in a post PC world, that Intel does have to make some decisions that distinctly favor mobile at the expense or real breakthroughs in the desktop.

That's not how it works, the engineers don't see an open room and them BAM, just cram it full of more iGPU technology. Now they've moved to a bigger iGPU chip, which has its advantages. Now it's time to refine what they've done, make it exert less heat and improve on the process. Haswell isn't shrinking like IB was, Haswell is architecture which means solely improve the architecture of the chip, again to focus on less heat, less power and more performance. Ivy Bridge is basically testing the waters, Haswell is about swimming in it. Intel chips that run hot ( Relative in this case ) and performance isn't impressive has been seen before, this isn't new.

Intel's latest breakthrough and focus is 3D transistors, that can also have a huge benefit on the desktop because that offsets Moore's law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom