• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished my new PC for the next 4 Years the last one was build around a Intel Quad Core Q9300 with Gigabyte EP 35 DS4 Motherboard.

New:
Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge
Antec H2O 920 Water Cooling
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance 16GB-Kit (4 x 4GB-Module), 1600MHZ CL9
Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh case modded with Caseking King Mod Damping Set
BeQuiet Straight Power E9 480W CM
Samsung SSD 830 256GB

from old PC:
4 Hard Drives (2x 2.0 TB, 2x 1.5 TB )

Now waiting for the new Nvidia Mid Range Graphics Cards. The amount of connection possibilities with this new Motherboard and Case are truly amazing. And the case is a dream to hide cables.

Just curious, any particular reason you chose an ITX motherboard? Seems like the norm would have been an mATX or ATX board.

Arken2121

With a large enough case and the appropriate motherboard, sure.

Arken2121, what's the rest of your build look like?

2 SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 SeaSonic X-1250 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

2 Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model 997007

1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 NZXT CA-SW810-W1 White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

1 Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)

Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K

ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME - LGA2011 - X79 - 8x DIMM - PCIe 3.0 Motherboards

Buying a monitor is just like buying anything else: what's your budget, and what features are you looking for?

Since I had a small desk, size wasn't a concern (21.5" was fine). I decided on a TN rather than an IPS panel (the former is also cheaper) since viewing angles and colour reproduction were not that important to me. I also didn't do a lot of research into response times and contrast ratios since I wasn't doing any graphic design or whatnot.

Other things to consider are an HDMI port, the resolution (most 21.5" and up monitors are 1080p), the ratio (some prefer the rare 16:10 to 16:9), and the stand (does it allow up/down and tilt?)

In the end, I bought the Asus VE228H for $100. I had decided to get an Asus and was just waiting for a good price on a 21.5"+ model (was willing to spend up to $150).

Sorry wrong Model number i have the ATX Board i nearly mixed that up too when i ordered the Board. :)

Damn... I was actually curious about it since I'm planning an ITX build with a 3770k and a 680 so I wanted to know how it was working out for you. Glad you ordered what you meant to though.

So, Asrock, Biostar, Gigabyte, MSI...

Any particular reason the 'excellent - best overall' build recommends a Biostar motherboard? Considering the 3570K at the moment. I'm not huge on overclocking. Never felt like fucking around with the voltage on my Q6600. But if one of these boards can make it a little easier...

Oddly enough it seemed to be an issue with the DVI, might be my cable/monitor I'm just relieved I've finally managed to get the thing up and running, between this and work it's been a long arsed week but it's been worth it. Thanks to everyone who's helped me on the way.

As one final question would anybody be able to recommend a headset for around £40-50 quid, I'm not looking for anything high end after spending so much on the rig but I don't want to buy anything terrible. I'm currently looking at the Turtle Beach X12s as they could double up as a 360 headset, though that's no major issue. If anybody knows of any without 360 comparability but of a higher quality in the same price range I'd be very appreciative.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I just purchased a corsair gt 480gb ssd. I have an external TB to keep music, photos, etc. I wanted to keep all my steam games on an SSD though. Overkill?

1-D_FTW

Any particular reason the 'excellent - best overall' build recommends a Biostar motherboard? Considering the 3570K at the moment. I'm not huge on overclocking. Never felt like fucking around with the voltage on my Q6600. But if one of these boards can make it a little easier...

The core 2's were some good chips. You could of probably got a good overclock without even touching the voltage.

mkenyon

Banned
I just purchased a corsair gt 480gb ssd. I have an external TB to keep music, photos, etc. I wanted to keep all my steam games on an SSD though. Overkill?
Well, it's all relative right? I mean, if I had an endless income you can bet your ass I'd have two in RAID0. But yeah, money is better spent elsewhere.

The OP is all about getting absolute best bang for the buck. Since ivy is a lot more limited in OC potential based on the chip rather than a combo of the chip and motherboard, you don't get as far with a better motherboard like you did with sandy.

kennah

The core 2's were some good chips. You could of probably got a good overclock without even touching the voltage.

Yep. My Q6600 went from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz with changing the FSB alone. Didn't touch voltage or anything. Reminded me of the ol Celerons that would go from 366MHz to 550MHz. Oh those were the days.

Shambles

Yep. My Q6600 went from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz with changing the FSB alone. Didn't touch voltage or anything. Reminded me of the ol Celerons that would go from 366MHz to 550MHz. Oh those were the days.

Same here, mine went to 3.0 on stock voltage. Have it at 3.5 with increased voltage. Sure dates the chip when I have nearly a 50% overclock on it and it's still below the stock speeds of todays chips. Not even accounting how much better the new architectures are. I was really hoping ICB could have hit 5Ghz though, that's a nice round number to have. Next upgrade I guess.

HoosTrax

What's even more ridiculous is that it doesn't actually do anything. DDR3 is significantly cooler than DDR2 (which needed it).
It's not ridiculous considering Corsair is one of the few enthusiast RAM makers apparently too cheap to use decent-looking black/blue/red etc PCBs for their RAM. Need to cover up those ugly green DIMMs.

mkenyon

Banned
It's not ridiculous considering Corsair is one of the few enthusiast RAM makers apparently too cheap to use decent-looking black/blue/red etc PCBs for their RAM. Need to cover up those ugly green DIMMs.
They don't make PCB, they just repackage samsung/whoever's RAM. Same with their PSU's, coolers, etc.
I just installed a 570 and i'm getting 20 FPS in Tera. This doesn't seem right?

Running P2x4 at 3.6ghz and 8gigs of ram.
Is Tera heavily CPU based?

Use MSI Afterburner and check to see your GPU load.

MrBig

I have a steelseries qck, and it collects all sorts of cat hair and is hard to clean. When this wears out I'll be getting a hard surface mousepad, but in the interim how should I thoroughly clean this? Handwash, throw it in the drier?

Financial Analysts Say Intel Killed the Discrete Graphics Card

Financial background about Intel released today by financial analyst firm Five Star Equities confirms in that sentiment and indicates that the financial community has, for the first in more than 5 years, high expectations in Intel's opportunity in the chip market. Five Star Equities states that Ivy Bridge essentially kills the discrete graphics card because the integrated graphics of the CPU would be good enough for 95 percent of computer users.

"There is a very small market of people who seek out high-performance graphics cards, mostly comprised of hardcore gamers," the report reads. "The improved graphics provided by the Ivy Bridge chips will likely satisfy the needs of the average consumer."

The report also quotes industry analyst Jack Gold, who said that "extreme gamers who want very powerful graphics cards are in a niche market already, and it's shrinking." Gold continued and noted that Nvidia may be in trouble, "because their graphics chip market is falling off faster than their mobile chip market."

Maybe it kills the sub-$79 GPU market, but not the entire discrete market. AMD has better on-die GPUs, too.

mkenyon

Banned
I only seem to get around %30-40 GPU load in tera. Must be CPU based but i figured it wouldn't be this bad. I was getting the same performance on a much older card : /
Still doesn't sound right. You certain you uninstalled and did a good sweep on the previous drivers? Might even be worth a reformat.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Nothing else comes close at that range for what it offers. The ASUS LK is also a good buy. Any OC should be easy with stock volts.

demolitio

Quick question that I figured I'd ask here: I gave my old monitor to my mom as an upgrade over her previous monitor and she said I could do whatever with that one. Could I take that monitor that's 1024x768 and use it as a second monitor to go along with my 1080p one and use it for other stuff while playing games? I read about someone browsing the internet on a second screen while they were playing a game and it sounded good to me since I don't know what else to do with it so I was wondering if it was possible. If so, would it take a lot of performance away on my 6970? Thanks.

Anyone?

If your video card has two outputs, yeah, just plug them both in and configure them in your drivers (should be right click Desktop->Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Control Center).

1-D_FTW

Looks interesting though. I can't wait for some benchmarks. Wonder how it compares to a 6850. I could see myself switching to a microatx box that is super quiet and takes up no room! :D

You mean AMD's next APU? Because right now neither AMD nor Intel can touch a 6850. Haswell should be an interesting CPU for that very reason. And if AMD keeps their lead in that department, it should be real interesting. Especially if AMD/Nvidia keep half-assing the mid range market. The discrete market's going to be nothing but the posh dudes in this thread who are willing to spend a couple grand on GPUs.

Nothing else comes close at that range for what it offers. The ASUS LK is also a good buy. Any OC should be easy with stock volts.

Hmm, at the moment I see only the EX4 on offer here in the Netherlands, which is more expensive (140 euro).

Anything wrong with this? Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H

It's hard to gauge what benefits I'd get from the more expensive biostar (or a gigabyte equivalent) exactly.

Is the Dell UltraSharp U2412M acceptable for gaming if you mostly play games like Diablo?

It's an IPS so colours and viewing angle will be better than a TN panel. TN is better for gaming due to faster response rates, but the difference is likely negligible nowadays.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmm, at the moment I see only the EX4 on offer here in the Netherlands, which is more expensive (140 euro).

Anything wrong with this? Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H

It's hard to gauge what benefits I'd get from the more expensive biostar (or a gigabyte equivalent) exactly.
I think gigabyte motherboards fixed their boot loop issue but I'm not 100 percent so I'm not recommending them right now.
Biostar has dem power regs. As long as a mobo has all the connectors you need dont worry.

My 6970 died on the weekend and I decided to stop going with Ati (I have been dissatisfied with the performance of the last 2 cards). I couldn't find a 680 anywhere and will probably hold off on that until I build a whole new PC. But I did pick up a GTX 580 and out of the box it completely destroys my old 6970. I love all of the additional features that the card seems to offer including being able to jack up the resolution to 2960x1655 then play at 1080 for some extra AA.

The only issue I have noticed thus far is that some games lock me into 1080/24p mode. I just create a custom resolution of 1919x1080 and that seems to fix it, but it seems like a weird issue.

I will be moving soon and building a computer dedicated to PC gaming, but I will keep my current PC for couch gaming (surround sound and a 360 controller vs headphones and kb/m) and multiplatform titles. This PC seems to be able to handle these titles very well, but I am only using an i7 930 oc'd to 3.9GHz. Is it worth getting a new processor at this point? Or will this suffice for a while longer?

The report also quotes industry analyst Jack Gold, who said that "extreme gamers who want very powerful graphics cards are in a niche market already, and it's shrinking." Gold continued and noted that Nvidia may be in trouble, "because their graphics chip market is falling off faster than their mobile chip market."

Really? Because as a casual observer it seems to me that PC gaming is blowing up. And I dont mean the farmville stuff either. Many people are making the switch from consoles to gaming PC's.

Karmum

Banned
Really? Because as a casual observer it seems to me that PC gaming is blowing up. And I dont mean the farmville stuff either. Many people are making the switch from consoles to gaming PC's.
Yeah...I haven't really played much on my Xbox or PS3 since I bought my computer back in August. And I bought my PS3 like a month later. :<

Feep

Banned
Okay. Someone tell me how to overclock this Ivy Bridge.

(I literally can't even find the multiplier in the BIOS? All I see is BCLK.)

Edit: Okay, it's labeled as "One-Core Ratio Limit".

The OC guide doesn't really help with the Asus p8z68-v lx so I've spent the last few hours looking around to try and find out what to do. I think I've manage to get there in the end though I've only just started up prime. If I've got my I5 2500k to:

Core Speed: 4.5
Voltage: 1.288v (jumps to 1.296)
Temp: around 50°C

It it turns out stable it should be safe, right? My main concern is the core speed and voltage jump around a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom