• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Anyone happen to know the cheapest graphics card that will decode 3D movies? I'm looking at the Microcenter deals on CPU/Mobo combos and I'd love to build a new gaming rig (using the GTX 580 I already have) but I'd need a cheap 3D capable card to continue watching 3D Blu-Ray's/Web content on the old computer, since the new computer would be going in my new office/PC gaming area. Gaming wouldn't be necessary at all on the new card. Bonus points for fanless, or else low noise. Thanks.

So I just spent 9 hours working on my pc.

Take old pc apart
clean case.
put new pc bits in.
Turn on, doesn't work.
take new bits out, test them outside case incase of shorting. Doesn't work.
Try ram in different slots, no ram, no graphics. Doesn't work.
Take PSU from older family pc to see if it has the same result. It does.
Put family pc back to gether.
Rebuild old pc on a testbed.

Tomorrow I borrow a friends i2500k to see if it's definately the mobo that is buggered.#

Also cable managed in a fractal Define R2 with a non modular PSU is near impossible. Getting everything to fit between the back and the gooey sound proofing is a lottery.

Nothing more depressing than spending a few hours putting a pc together, only for it to not even post.

Sethos

Banned
So I just spent 9 hours working on my pic.

Take old pc apart
clean case.
put new pc bits in.
Turn on, doesn't work.
take new bits out, test them outside case incase of shorting. Doesn't work.
Try ram in different slots, no ram, no graphics. Doesn't work.
Take PSU from older family pc to see if it has the same result. It does.
Put family pc back to gether.
Rebuild old pc on a testbed.

Tomorrow I borrow a friends i2500k to see if it's definately the mobo that is buggered.

Nothing more depressing than spending a few hours putting a pc together, only for it to not even post.

What's happening, NOTHING at all or does it turn on for a few seconds and then shuts off?

What's happening, NOTHING at all or does it turn on for a few seconds and then shuts off?

On for 5 seconds then off again, will repeat for infinity. No beeps, no post, no monitor display. The mobo I have MSI z77-gd5 has an LED debug number thing on it, thats not showing anything either. I've tried pretty much all there is to try except another CPU, which I'll do tomorrow. Pretty sure the mobo is a dud though.

I did a little more overclocking on my HD7850. Currently I'm running with an upped 1.18v to get 1200 on my GPU clock and 5800 on my memory clock. I'm running my fans at 60% (I'd imagine it won't be any more noticeable than my other fans in game) and it doesn't get any hotter than 53°C.

I've currently ran it through Heaven and 3DMark 11 with no errors. Should it be safe to play games on or should I run it through any other benchmark programs first?

Also tried without the RAM and and no CMOS battery? And made sure the 6/8 Pin connector is in.

( You probably done it all, just making sure but sounds like you've tried it all )

Haven't tried without ram and cmos battery. the 12v 8pin is of course connected.

I've taken it apart to put my old pc back together (well sitting on a box back together). But i'll try that tomorrow, when I get my friends i2500k.

Firemind

Well, I successfully built my PC just now. Only problem is I haven't installed an OS for quite a while and created a system partition and a primary partition, foolishly thinking all the system files would go to the system partition. Unfortunately, it went for the primary partition and now I'm stuck with a 1.8 TB primary partition. I can decrease the volume and create an extended partition, but only for about half of the volume. Am I screwed?

Hagi

How does this sound for a first build

2nd Generation Intel® Core? i5 2500K 3.30GHz
ASUS P8Z77-V Intel Z77
SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 7850
XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Asus Xonar DG
LG GH24NS70 DVD+/-RW

Thinking about a BitFenix Shinobi for the case. It's quite a scary prospect trying to get everything right but at the same time i'm excited, this is much more interesting than just buying an alienware desktop.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone happen to know the cheapest graphics card that will decode 3D movies? I'm looking at the Microcenter deals on CPU/Mobo combos and I'd love to build a new gaming rig (using the GTX 580 I already have) but I'd need a cheap 3D capable card to continue watching 3D Blu-Ray's/Web content on the old computer, since the new computer would be going in my new office/PC gaming area. Gaming wouldn't be necessary at all on the new card. Bonus points for fanless, or else low noise. Thanks.
I use a 210 for customers... I think intel onboard is good enough?
Goddammit SpeedFan.

Yeah, I just hit 101C on Core 3/4 (getting hotter than the others, which explains it crapping out before the others).

What should I doooooo
Fuckin Ivy. Lower volts, remount, target 4.2
What are you doing saturday?

I did a little more overclocking on my HD7850. Currently I'm running with an upped 1.18v to get 1200 on my GPU clock and 5800 on my memory clock. I'm running my fans at 60% (I'd imagine it won't be any more noticeable than my other fans in game) and it doesn't get any hotter than 53°C.

I've currently ran it through Heaven and 3DMark 11 with no errors. Should it be safe to play games on or should I run it through any other benchmark programs first?
Furmark if you have a good psu
How does this sound for a first build

2nd Generation Intel® Core? i5 2500K 3.30GHz
ASUS P8Z77-V Intel Z77
SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 7850
XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Asus Xonar DG
LG GH24NS70 DVD+/-RW

Thinking about a BitFenix Shinobi for the case.
Might only need an LX mobo. See what you need

Feep

Banned
Nope, your fixing your computer :D

Taking things apart, check the thermal paste. Gonna be a fun Sat.
Ughhhhh.

I *did* use a four-and-a-half year old tube of Antec Silver Thermal Paste, though I did some Googling and there was no indication that these things "expire". The Hyper 212+ came with its own thermal stuff, so I could use that...

I feel like it's more likely my chip sucks. = (

Ultrabum

Ughhhhh.

I *did* use a four-and-a-half year old tube of Antec Silver Thermal Paste, though I did some Googling and there was no indication that these things "expire". The Hyper 212+ came with its own thermal stuff, so I could use that...

I used the stuff that came with my hyper 212, and it works great, if that's any consolation.

Im looking into ordering a pc and for my budget this best gpu I can get is the Radeon HD 7870 Ghz Edition 2GB GDDR. I know thats a fairly powerful card now, but how long would it be until I would have to upgrade? Im planning on running all of my games 1920 by 1080, preferably at 60 FPS to 30 FPS

Ace 8095

I'm not planning to build my PC till mid summer. Is there any danger of not being able to find a 2500k by then. They're selling for $205 on amazon and I'm thinking I should pick one up.

Im looking into ordering a pc and for my budget this best gpu I can get is the Radeon HD 7870 Ghz Edition 2GB GDDR. I know thats a fairly powerful card now, but how long would it be until I would have to upgrade? Im planning on running all of my games 1920 by 1080, preferably at 60 FPS to 30 FPS

Thats a difficult question to answer, at 1920x1080 it could last you a good while 2-3 years.

I myself am still using my 5850 at 1900x1200 it's over 3 years old. Such a beast of a card. I personally feel the graphics card market is terrible for consumers atm. Everything is overpriced, at least in the UK anyway.

I've been looking for a new card myself in the £250-£300 range, but nothing is significantly more powerful than the 5850 to justify the expense.

Tbh the 680 a is a mid to high range card, like the 5850 was in it's day, disguised as a top tier card.

Geez that turned into a rant.

hyduK

Banned
Just heading to work but I'll give this a shot when I get home. I should also note that whenever I unplug the computer for a while (did it a couple times to check cables) it seems to make it farther into startup on the first boot, then gradually begins to freeze faster each time. Ie. first time I'll get to the windows installation, then I'll only get to bios, then bios again but it won't last as long, and eventually I can't even make it there.

It's an OCZ 500 modstream. It was working fine 10 minutes before I started my build (it's from my old pc). In regards to build differences I swapped:

an early Core 2 duo (e5200....don't have the mobo name handy)
stock cooler
4gb ram
2 HDDs and a DVD Drive

For:
Thermaltake 212+ evo
P8Z77-V Pro
8gb corsair vengeance
crucial m4 128

I've unhooked all my drives besides the ssd for now. Also, the video card remains the same (gtx460). I don't have any additional cards (sound, wireless, etc.)

Based on the symptoms it definitely looks like a power issue, but at the same time it was working yesterday (on the old pc) and Im doubting the upgrade to the CPU/mobo/cooler would somehow put it over the top. I don't have an extra PSU to test so I'd like to eliminate other possibilities before I buy one. I don't think it's the CPU overheating...despite the fan error thing it seems to be running cool. Maybe mobo?

So, I bought a new PSU. Corsair TX750. Still the same issue. Guess it's the mobo.

Never had an issue building a PC, no I understand how annoying it truly is when it happens.

Thats a difficult question to answer, at 1920x1080 it could last you a good while 2-3 years.

I myself am still using my 5850 at 1900x1200 it's over 3 years old. Such a beast of a card. I personally feel the graphics card market is terrible for consumers atm. Everything is overpriced, at least in the UK anyway.

I've been looking for a new card myself in the £250-£300 range, but nothing is significantly more powerful than the 5850 to justify the expense.

Tbh the 680 a is a mid to high range card, like the 5850 was in it's day, disguised as a top tier card.

Geez that turned into a rant.

Rant away, I need to know this stuff! The last time I tried to buy a decent gaming machine I bought a 17in acer laptop, and its obviously not what I was wanting at all. I tried benchmarking the 7870 on anandTech, and that just scared the living daylights out me. Because it was showing the 7870 running Crysis warhead and Metro 2033 at around 45 FPS, and their older games

ParityBit

Hi all,

I have two questions.

1) 2-3 min after starting my machine I get a popup
Title : Wireless Configuration
Text : Notification dll has not been registered, program will not work correctly
Any idea what that is, how to fix it or remove it? I am using a wired connection but it is part of an adapter for my mobo Asus p8z77-v deluxe

2) When I boot up my RAM is being displayed as 1333 but it is Corsair Vengence 1866. Any ideas why its not running at 1600 (which I think is nonOC on this board)

Hero

Hazaro or anyone else can you please comment or add your two cents on the system parts I mentioned? Would be greatly appreciated, gonna pull the trigger if it looks good. :)

So I cannot resist the urge with D3, MP3 and GW2 so have decided to build a new PC. I have a Samsung SA950 so will be playing at 1080P, hopefully high settings with a little AA.

Ive narrowed it down to the following based on all the info Ive gathered from this thread, but I did have a few queries before I finalise my order.

CPU - I52500k (seems to still be the best value for gaming and overclocking)
Mobo - Asrock Z77Pro3 (need the pci slots for my sound and tv card)
Ram - 8GB Ripjaws X PC1333 (2x4GB kit, these will be compatible with my Z77? Should I bother with PC1600 at all?)
Graphics - 7850 or 7870 (Im torn at the moment. The price difference is almost $100AUD but the overclocking ability of the 7870 seems to be more impressive. Should I spend the extra money?)
CPU Cooler - 212+ Evo (as recommended by all)
OS - Win 64bit
PSU - Need one sufficient for the above as well as 4xHDDs, 2xPCI cards and 2-3 case fans. Looking at the Thermaltake TR-600PCAU TR2 600Watt. 80+ Bronze PSU. Will this be enough? How about if I decided to crossfire in the future?

Thanks Gaf.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The 210 will decode/output blu-ray 3D @1080p? If so, that looks like my best option since it's so cheap ($30). Thank you.
Woooooooah, no. You should go ask an HTPC forum for that to verify. I'm not sure for Blu-Ray a 210 will cut it. I use the 210 for general movie/DVD playback and to not have screen tearing on the damn desktop.
I skimmed at work and posting on mobile is a nightmare.

I think the 220 might do 1080p ok, but again, this is an HTPC forum question, not my forte.
Ughhhhh.

Nah, Ivy just is hot and clocks poorly with voltage.
Oh, also your chip sucks.
So, I bought a new PSU. Corsair TX750. Still the same issue. Guess it's the mobo.

Never had an issue building a PC, no I understand how annoying it truly is when it happens.
Yeah it can be frustrating when that happens.

Have you tried 1 stick of memory in the suggested slot from the manual?
Bare minimum to POST?
Hi all,

I have two questions.

1) 2-3 min after starting my machine I get a popup
Title : Wireless Configuration
Text : Notification dll has not been registered, program will not work correctly
Any idea what that is, how to fix it or remove it? I am using a wired connection but it is part of an adapter for my mobo Asus p8z77-v deluxe

2) When I boot up my RAM is being displayed as 1333 but it is Corsair Vengence 1866. Any ideas why its not running at 1600 (which I think is nonOC on this board)
1) run ccleaner
2) You have to manually set most RAM in your BIOS that is above 1333Mhz
So I cannot resist the urge with D3, MP3 and GW2 so have decided to build a new PC. I have a Samsung SA950 so will be playing at 1080P, hopefully high settings with a little AA.

Ive narrowed it down to the following based on all the info Ive gathered from this thread, but I did have a few queries before I finalise my order.

CPU - I52500k (seems to still be the best value for gaming and overclocking)
Mobo - Asrock Z77Pro3 (need the pci slots for my sound and tv card)
Ram - 8GB Ripjaws X PC1333 (2x4GB kit, these will be compatible with my Z77? Should I bother with PC1600 at all?)
Graphics - 7850 or 7870 (Im torn at the moment. The price difference is almost $100AUD but the overclocking ability of the 7870 seems to be more impressive. Should I spend the extra money?)
CPU Cooler - 212+ Evo (as recommended by all)
OS - Win 64bit
PSU - Need one sufficient for the above as well as 4xHDDs, 2xPCI cards and 2-3 case fans. Looking at the Thermaltake TR-600PCAU TR2 600Watt. 80+ Bronze PSU. Will this be enough? How about if I decided to crossfire in the future?

Thanks Gaf.
1333 is 99% of the performance.
Graphics depends on your budget, a 7850 will do very well if you are price sensitive.
PSU look at Antec HCG 520W, at least that popped up searching on AUS (pc case gear)
HDDs = 10W each, fans = 7W, PCI = not that much usually. Not a lot of extra load there.
Sorry guys, I keep getting Analysis Paralysis when it comes to purchasing a video card, that's been the thing holding me back the most.

Checking Slickdeals, they have this 6870 for 140 after MIR + shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=CMRlhJXGEeGFmG7jEQkWzw1b5c76&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814150521

I wanted to wait to get a GTX 660 but apparently those won't come out until summer now?

So here's what I'm thinking:

CPU: i5 2500

GPU: The 6870 I listed above.

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138352

Powersupply: XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Case: NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146075

Harddrive: Using an existing one

Optical drive: Taking my old one out

So:

CPU: Already purchased
GPU: 140
Motherboard: 100
PSU: 75
RAM: 47
Case: 40

Would all of that come together nicely? I've said this almost every time I post in here but I don't know much about piecing together my own rig, I have a friend willing to help me once I get all the parts in. Thanks again to people who have been helping me with replies previously and those to come still. Definitely glad to be a part of GAF for things like this. :)
Very similar to the budget system I put together my self.

6870 is a good card at $150 for sure.

Anyone know how I can get rid of this?

cOoF9.png

I have an Asus board with an integrated AMD 4250, and installed a GTX 570 a couple days ago. I thought I had disabled the 4250, but it keeps popping up.

Overclocked my i5-3570k to 4.6 Ghz. All I had to do was push the "extreme" button in the ASUS AI Suite II. Core voltage is around 1.288 V.

Running Prime95 now, been 25 minutes, highest temperature I've seen is 82 C.

1-D_FTW

Looks like Ill have to hold out on my build. Just read the GTX670 preview.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4...gb_video_card_performance_preview/index1.html

Definitely be getting one of these.

I like how they make a big deal about how they're running a really lean system for power consumption figures :lol.

Either they've got some really messed up overclocks going on, or it's another high end motherboard that's an absolute pig with regards to efficiency. Those idle numbers are atrocious across the board. Lean my butt. You'd have to actively seek out a build that was as bad as their test setup.

Manp

Anyone know how I can get rid of this?

cOoF9.png

I have an Asus board with an integrated AMD 4250, and installed a GTX 570 a couple days ago. I thought I had disabled the 4250, but it keeps popping up.

looks like you have disabled the ATI GPU but not uninstalled all the ATI software

looks like you have disabled the ATI GPU but not uninstalled all the ATI software

There's nowhere to uninstall the ATI software.

If I go to 'uninstall programs', it says AMD Radeon Catalyst Control Center" but it doesn't give me the uninstall option. Just "repair".

Karmum

Banned
I'm really close to going ahead and built a PC.
Here's my current list of components:

http://tweakers.net/gallery/452824?wish_id=273518#tab:wenslijst

Does anyone see any fault with this? Any recommendations? And can I expect to get good performance out of a game like The Witcher 2 with this setup?
Maybe a more powerful PSU, if you ever decide to pick up another video card. That's just my opinion though. Prices over there are insane. :eek:

Edit - Wasn't aware of how many watts it draws, only 130 at load. Nevermind then.

Danielsan

Maybe a more powerful PSU, if you ever decide to pick up another video card. That's just my opinion though. Prices over there are insane. :eek:
Alright. Thanks for the tip. Yeah, prices aren't fun around here. And those prices are the cheapest in the country.

Edit: So no more powerful PSU necessary?

Hmm.

Prime95 hit the second phase with 800,000 iterations and my temperatures jumped to 82 C with the occasional spikes to 90 C.

Voltage seems to be steady at 1.28 V.

Wonder if I should dial it back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom